• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Official Kirby Matchup Rankings AND GUIDE Thread! :: OMGOMGOMG! We're done!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Just pick something random imo :p

If you need a vote, mine is for Ice Climbers, so I can argue with Bunny about why it's 50:50

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Well, how is it even or better for any other character? Even if they do have projectiles, so what?

If the Kirby:IC matchup isn't even neutral, then I fail to see how any other character (beside a couple) has an easier time than Kirby does.

I'd rather use Kirby against Ice Climbers than MK..or Snake...or maybe G&W, or Dedede, or Link, or Captain Falcon, or Peach

lol see what I did there?

I can imagine ROB being good against them.

But other than that, Kirby shouldn't have a harder time than anyone else. His Upthrow is great, he can combo them pretty well, he can separate pretty easily with Bair and upthrow, vulcan jab does well, he can gimp Ice Climbers better than most, he can Copy their power and shout "Yah!", Kirbycide works wonders on Nana, Inhale in general is pretty good, etc. etc.

Hopefully Lain goes to the March 7th tourney that I plan on going to, and I can moneymatch him and stuff. He's one of the best, if not THE best, Ice Climbers I know of.

Anyway, all I know of that you have to watch out for is:

1. Grabs. 0-death against every character, obviously. I get the impression that Kirby is slightly harder to successfully chaingrab to death because of his weight and size, but I don't know a whole lot about the IC chaingrab because I don't practice lame stuff like that :p

2. Blizzard. Kirby doesn't really have anything to beat it, except Final Cutter. Speaking of which, Final Cutter > Ice Block. But Blizzard isn't exactly hard to see coming, and it does not hit above Ice Climbers, which is a fairly vulnerable position.

edit: why did you capitalize all the words in my quote? O_o

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Buu, Lain only main's chain grabing characters, that's not cool. Well, I did beat his Ice Climbers.... a while ago, then he got his revenge on me after words. =P

We all should know that Ice Climbers' is one of Kirby's worst match up's so we should discuss them later and talk about the Green Thunder, *Still think's that Kirby has the advantage over Zamus*

He's the easiest to CG.
Really? I though Jigglypuff was...

lain

Smash Master
Jiggs is actually a little hard to cg cause she's the lightest and thus it requires tighter timing.

And yes I am the best. :]

T-nuts

Smash Ace
kirby is the EASIEST character for ICs to chain grab? why? unfortunately i am very uninformed with regard to this matchup. how the hell is kirby easier to chaingrab than a bigger character with similar floatiness like rob?

also, i want to know about the kirby vs luigi matchup. i barely EVER play good luigis.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Huh. I was gonna say "I vote for Link, because I need to know how to beat a link, they all pwn me (yes, sarcasm)", but I guess we've gone onto IC's...

I'd say something for the matchup, but the last IC's I played were a few months ago after I vowed never to play them again because they're so cheap after...um...I stopped finding IC mains.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
The only good thing Kirby has going for him in this matchup is his gimping ability. He can't afford to get grabbed. I consider Kirby and Olimar the two easiest to chaingrab (Besides Bowser, DK, etc.)

This is one of those matchups where Kirby is desperately trying to space with BAir the entire match, lulz. 60-40 matchup. :]

Edit: Btw, about the blizzard thing, some ICs like me like to desynch the blizzards so that one Ice Climber is shooting it and the other Ice Climber can UpAir/UpTilt the opponent if they go overhead.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
The only good thing Kirby has going for him in this matchup is his gimping ability. He can't afford to get grabbed. I consider Kirby and Olimar the two easiest to chaingrab (Besides Bowser, DK, etc.)

This is one of those matchups where Kirby is desperately trying to space with BAir the entire match, lulz. 60-40 matchup. :]

Edit: Btw, about the blizzard thing, some ICs like me like to desynch the blizzards so that one Ice Climber is shooting it and the other Ice Climber can UpAir/UpTilt the opponent if they go overhead.
I agree! Quoted for sexiness.

Lovely

Smash Lord
Jabs = Kirby wins
Tilts = Kirby wins
Smash Attacks = Kirby wins
Air Moves= Kirby win
Air Recovery = Kirby wins
Grab Range = Kirby wins
Grab Combos = Ice Climbers win
Projectiles = Ice Climbers win
Useful B Moves = Ice Climbers win
Better Up B Recovery = Ice Climbers win
Better Attack Range = Ice Climbers win
♥

I use to think that Kirby always had a disadvantage over Ice Climbers, but some time now Ice Climbers are getting predictable. Ice Climbers are easily separated, and if you pick a non flat stage, Ice Climbers won't have a good chance of grabing you. My mind is set to an even match up now. ♥

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
You know, I forgot Ice Climbers is one of your mains Lovely.... I have face your Ice Climbers in a long time, and you were the best because your so good that you don't be gay and chain grab to death like the other Ice Climbers main even though you know how to use it, but your D-Grab to Down-B can be a big pain though. Eff, I wanted to talk Luigi because his match up isn't well known.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Jabs = Kirby wins
Tilts = Kirby wins
Smash Attacks = Kirby wins
Air Moves= Kirby win
Air Recovery = Kirby wins
Grab Range = Kirby wins
Grab Combos = Ice Climbers win
Projectiles = Ice Climbers win
Useful B Moves = Ice Climbers win
Better Up B Recovery = Ice Climbers win
Better Attack Range = Ice Climbers win
♥

I use to think that Kirby always had a disadvantage over Ice Climbers, but some time now Ice Climbers are getting predictable. Ice Climbers are easily separated, and if you pick a non flat stage, Ice Climbers won't have a good chance of grabing you. My mind is set to an even match up now. ♥
Your opinion doesn't matter because your from Japan! :lick:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I'd say 60-40 in Kirby's favor.

If you space bair correctly theres not much they can do. Anytime you're next to them just start vulcan jabbing which ***** them. Dair is also really good seperating them and poking their shield.

If you understand how to fight IC with Kirby then you should have the advantage but a lot of people don't know what to do vs them.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Wait...you're serious?

SheeMadness said:
If you space bair correctly theres not much they can do.
Except grab you.

SheerMadness said:
Anytime you're next to them just start vulcan jabbing which ***** them.
Um...I hate to break it to you, but standing there throwing that out probably won't get you far (Squall Hammer, Blizzard,etc.)

SheerMadness said:
If you understand how to fight IC with Kirby then you should have the advantage but a lot of people don't know what to do vs them.
So basically, if you come into the match with an advantage, you have a matchup advantage.

Profound.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master

If you space bair correctly theres not much they can do. Anytime you're next to them just start vulcan jabbing which ***** them. Dair is also really good seperating them and poking their shield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

This is the same guy who proposed killing people off edge with inhale. Why am I not surprised.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
lol the 2008'ers always have an attitude. Learn to discuss things without sounding condescending or I'm gonna start calling all you 2008'ers brawl noobs.

Yes I'm serious.

If you bair their shield then DI away during the bair theres nothing they can do. Most of the time they'll run at you from their shield at which point u turn around and start vulcan jabbing which ***** them.

LOL obviously you don't just stand on the side of the stage vulcan jabbing. Anything you're right next to them via out of spotdodge or w/e just start vulcan jabbing. It comes out instantly and pushes them out of range to do basically anything.

And yes playing smart and you'll win is profound.

Brawl noobs piss me off on the kirby boards. Stop with the attitude and intelligently discuss the matchup.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Haha Falcon whipping out the credence card.

Yah I'm the guy who probably has the best Kirby tournament placings in the country behind Chudat. So you're pathetic credence card doesn't quite work.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
lol the 2008'ers always have an attitude. Learn to discuss things without sounding condescending or I'm gonna start calling all you 2008'ers brawl noobs.

Yes I'm serious.

If you bair their shield then DI away during the bair theres nothing they can do. Most of the time they'll run at you from their shield at which point u turn around and start vulcan jabbing which ***** them.

LOL obviously you don't just stand on the side of the stage vulcan jabbing. Anything you're right next to them via out of spotdodge or w/e just start vulcan jabbing. It comes out instantly and pushes them out of range to do basically anything.

And yes playing smart and you'll win is profound.

Brawl noobs piss me off on the kirby boards. Stop with the attitude and intelligently discuss the matchup.
LOOOOOOOL at this guy. Join date is really really important.

Snake's vs Kirby is in Kirby's advantage according to you. Join date =/= intelligence.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Bunny you shouldn't make **** up to make other people sound dumb. I definitely never said Kirby has an advantage on Snake lololol.

Also I almost 3 stocked Bunny last time we played IC vs Kirby online so shows what she knows about the matchup.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Bunny you shouldn't make **** up to make other people sound dumb. I definitely never said Kirby has an advantage on Snake lololol.

Also I almost 3 stocked Bunny last time we played IC vs Kirby online so shows what she knows about the matchup.
Online is pro. And I remember 2 stocking you right before that. Lol?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
The point is to stop bashing other people's opinions on here it gets really old. And I wouldn't call Asdioh a brawl noob because he doesn't immiediately bash someone else if he disagrees with them. Apparently Asdioh is capable of discussing matchups intelligently while you guys arent.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Yes, talking about a flaw you made in 3 posts apiece definitely shows our incapability to discuss a matchup.

SheerMadness said:
If you bair their shield then DI away during the bair theres nothing they can do.
Are you ******** or something? Guess what everyone can do out of a shield (hint: begins with "shield", ends with "grab", and has nothing in the middle).

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Are you ******** or something? Guess what everyone can do out of a shield (hint: begins with "shield" ends with "grab" and has nothing in the middle).
LOLOL

This proves how big a brawl noob you are if you don't think its possible to hit a shield with bair and DI away to not get shieldgrabbed.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Wait, we didn't even start on Ice Climbers to begin with, we are suppose to vote on who should we start with. I already know four Ice Climbers/Kirby or Kirby/Ice Climbers mains, so we should start on him later and talk about someone with a weird match up so we can clear it like Ness, (well I know the match up since I main Kirby and Ness), or Luigi.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
LOLOL

This proves how big a brawl noob you are if you don't think its possible to hit a shield with bair and DI away to not get shieldgrabbed.
It depends where you initiated it.

Are you approaching them, bairing them, then going back? Because then I'd think you would. If you're going towards the IC's, then bair, and keep going in that same direction, then no.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Sheer Madness is basically defending his argument by calling us all noobs based on join date.

Can some IC's players seriously shut him up, I'm out of energy for this fool. When you bring up beating someone online your credibility goes to ****.

Triple R

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say falcon jab destroys any character. I can kinda see where you are coming from, but I think falcon jab should be used more sparingly than suggested. Once Ice Climbers are out of range, they can retaliate with a move before you are done with your cool down lag. This pretty much applies to any character. Be especially careful of long ranged opponents when using jabs too, as it could equal instant death for you at high percent.

On a side note, I think we should finish the voting before we start to talking about a character. I vote Luigi. His low stun time and quick nair give me lots of trouble.

lockdown7

Smash Cadet
This is how you play a captain falcon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy1XACYZ0ds

This falcon consistently places in tourneys around here and he is **** good. If you play kirby like this you basically take falcon away from his game. When falcon jabs he will usually go for the grab, but when doing it to kirby, he sometimes will miss because of kirby being too short. Gotta love it.

shade3134

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know how to combat Zelda and Olimar? This thread is really unorganized and I've read a few pages under Olimar (they're filled with useless chatter and vague answers). It's really hard to approach Zelda, actually it's pretty impossible (if they know what they are doing).

Top Bottom