• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Counter Game: Read the **** Rules or the Thread Get's Locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
No I'd still have to switch in to it giving him a free turn, but Ursaring would have been sent out ofter one of his pokes died. So it'd be his first turn out and flame orb wouldn't be active yet.
No. That's a revenge kill. There's a big difference.

A counter is where the Pokemon can simply switch-in upon noticing a threat to his own Pokemon and threaten the opposition, taking the one turn of damage that may happen. A revenge kill is letting your opponent kill off your current Pokemon so you can bring in your own threat without risking getting damaged in the process and also prove an immediate threat to your opponent.

And although revenge killing is all fine and dandy in a normal match, this is completely a counter game (as the title suggests). As such, the defeating of all these Pokemon is completely theoretical because they will switch out upon your switching in (consider it clairvoyance almost), so revenge killing will never become an option. But because of this, your counter should still factor in everything that happens within the turn of switching in as part of the counter as though it would be a normal match for the sake of if the battle happened.

I hope that clears it up...

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
No I'd still have to switch in to it giving him a free turn, but Ursaring would have been sent out ofter one of his pokes died. So it'd be his first turn out and flame orb wouldn't be active yet.
Once again, this would go against the nature of the counter game. The reason a new counter always takes a hit is because it's switching in. This wouldn't happen if the pokemon was coming in on a revenge turn. This is not the actual game of pokemon, this is the counter game, we have different rules here.

And WouW was correct, revenge killing =/= countering. A Choice Band Weavile can revenge kill Tyaranitar but it doesn't work as a counter as it can't actually switch in ever.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
:flame:
3 Questions. 1)Anyone else notice how the "Outspeeds by 1 point" fact seems to be very popular? I think that some people strive for it.

2)WHEN IS THE THREAD'S NAME GOING TO BE CHANGED!?! I HATE LEAVES, SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE IT WAS JUST HAILING GOLF-BALLS ON MY CAR!

And 3), did anyone order the King Crab?

Kingler @ MuscleBand
Adamant/HyperCutter
252hp/252specialdefense/6speed (weirdest evs ever)
Sword Dance
Crab-Hammer
Return
Brick Break

Naturally outspeeds, isn't killed by dual Psychics or a NastyPloted Psychic, and 2 hit kills with Stab Crab-Hammer. Have fun roasting this Crab! Bring me a few seasoned legs!

AND CONDEM TO HECK THE BUSTARD THAT USED PHOENIX AS A COUNTER WITHOUT APPOLOGISING TO HER FOR PUTTING HER IN HARMS WAY!

Cease Tick

Smash Ace
No. That's a revenge kill. There's a big difference.

A counter is where the Pokemon can simply switch-in upon noticing a threat to his own Pokemon and threaten the opposition, taking the one turn of damage that may happen. A revenge kill is letting your opponent kill off your current Pokemon so you can bring in your own threat without risking getting damaged in the process and also prove an immediate threat to your opponent.

And although revenge killing is all fine and dandy in a normal match, this is completely a counter game (as the title suggests). As such, the defeating of all these Pokemon is completely theoretical because they will switch out upon your switching in (consider it clairvoyance almost), so revenge killing will never become an option. But because of this, your counter should still factor in everything that happens within the turn of switching in as part of the counter as though it would be a normal match for the sake of if the battle happened.

I hope that clears it up...
No I know what revenge killing is. Alright, lets say I had a Scarfgar out that just killed something with shadow ball. He switches in Ursaring after his poke dies. On ursaring's FIRST TURN out, I switch out my LIVING Gengar and send in Uxie. HE GETS A FREE TURN (but flame orb does not activate until the end of that turn). NONE OF MY POKEMON DIE.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Doesn't Ursurang have the burn instantly upon it's initial appearance?

And I always thought that these battles were kinda like this...

Trainer A: *sends out Blaziken (<3)*
Trainer B: *sends out Blastoise*

Trainer A: *sees her Blaziken in danger, and calls it back, sending a Meganium*
Trainer B: *stubbornly keeps his Blastoise in battle, having it use Water-Gun on Meganium*

Trainer A: *lets her Meganium use Frenzy-Plant on Blastoise, somehow outspeeding and instant killing it, due to the interesting ev sets*
Trainer B: *pissed-off and walks away sulking as his best Pokemon died.
Trainer A:*does a sexy victory dance along side her Blaziken and her Meganium*

I might be in the wrong mind-set, but isn't this how it works?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Almost.

And I always thought that these battles were kinda like this...

Trainer A: *sends out Blaziken (<3)*
Trainer B: *sends out Blastoise*

Trainer A: *sees her Blaziken in danger, and calls it back, sending a Meganium*
Trainer B: *Keeps Blastoise in, knowing he has the advantage, attacks with one of his 4 attacks on the switch*

Trainer B: *sees Blastoise is now in danger, switches to Glaceon as it can take anything Meganium dishes out*
Trainer A: *Now see's glaceon, switches to etc etc*

ad infinitum

WouW

Smash Lord
No I know what revenge killing is. Alright, lets say I had a Scarfgar out that just killed something with shadow ball. He switches in Ursaring after his poke dies. On ursaring's FIRST TURN out, I switch out my LIVING Gengar and send in Uxie. HE GETS A FREE TURN (but flame orb does not activate until the end of that turn). NONE OF MY POKEMON DIE.
Ursaring doesn't counter Gengar here, it revenge kills it (only it switches out) and then you send in a counter.

them rules :D said:
2) Remember what a counter is: A Pokemon that can safely switch into any of the attacks from the Pokemon it wants to counter and can immediately pose a threat to the Pokemon it wants to counter or make the Pokemon it wants to counter switch-out while not being threatened in any way by the Pokemon it wants to counter.
Ursaring switches into any of Clefables moves (be it Calm Mind, Softboiled, Ice Beam or Thunderbolt). This is the end of the turn so therefore Ursaring gets burnt, before he can attack.
Then Clefable switches out yadayada and the game goes on.

Vs. Kingler:

Gorebyss @ Damp Rock
Modest/Swift Swim
252SpA/248Spe/8HP
Rain Dance
Hydro Pump
Hidden Power Electric
Ice Beam

Return 3HKOs at best and I outspeed and 2HKO. Rain is up.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Leafeon @ Earth Incense
Brave/Leaf Guard
252SpAtk/252Spd/6Atk
Sunny Day
Leaf Blade
HP Ground
Solar Beam

(Not really good at this, but...)
Easily countered by changing your Rain parade to Sunshine. I'm faster, your Ice attack can't freeze me, and Leaf Blade coupled with amazing Atk can OHKO you.

M.K

Level 55
Leafeon @ Earth Incense
Brave/Leaf Guard
252SpAtk/252Spd/6Atk
Sunny Day
Leaf Blade
HP Ground
Solar Beam

(Not really good at this, but...)
Easily countered by changing your Rain parade to Sunshine. I'm faster, your Ice attack can't freeze me, and Leaf Blade coupled with amazing Atk can OHKO you.
Crobat @ Leftovers
Jolly / Inner Focus
252 Attack/252 Speed/6 Defense
Cross Poison
Aerial Ace
Ominous Wind
Quick Attack

I kill you before your moves can kill me. Cross Poison is best. Outspeed/Kill.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Luxray @ Choice Scarf
Modest/Intimidate
252SpAtk/252SpDef/6Spd
Spark
Thunder
HP Ice
Return

Fine then, if that didn't take Gorebyss out, then this would. Not only do you have no moves that can TOUCH me, but with my special attack of 317, AND your Rain Dance going.... well, Thunder kills Gorebyss. With 100% Accuracy. Enjoy.

M.K

Level 55
Luxray @ Choice Scarf
Modest/Intimidate
252SpAtk/252SpDef/6Spd
Spark
Thunder
HP Ice
Return

Fine then, if that didn't take Gorebyss out, then this would. Not only do you have no moves that can TOUCH me, but with my special attack of 317, AND your Rain Dance going.... well, Thunder kills Gorebyss. With 100% Accuracy. Enjoy.
Steelix @ Leftovers
Adamant/Rock Head
252 Attack/252 Sp. Defense/6 HP
Earthquake
Iron Head
Aqua Tail
Sandstorm

...do I need to explain it? Earthquake/Type Resistances/All your moves do pitiful damage/Steelix has godly defense/uber pwnage, bruh.

EDIT: Oh, and since you locked into Thunder, I could have REALLY humiliated you and sent out a Geodude, but for now, this will do ;)

WouW

Smash Lord
Luxray @ Choice Scarf
Modest/Intimidate
252SpAtk/252SpDef/6Spd
Spark
Thunder
HP Ice
Return

Fail.

If you wonder why, read rule 14. Also, I'd not call 60-70% on the switch 'not touching'. (that is with Rain excluded)

Gorebyss still is the current counter.

M.K

Level 55
Fail.

If you wonder why, read rule 14. Also, I'd not call 60-70% on the switch 'not touching'. (that is with Rain excluded)

Gorebyss still is the current counter.
Godddd, why do I always get to counter the fail Pokemon :mad:

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Don't worry! It ends right here. :)

@Gorebyss

Quagsire@Leftovers
Adamant/Water Absorb
4 HP/252 ATK/252 SDEF
-Curse
-Amnesia
-Waterfall
-Earthquake

This obviously is nowhere near an ideal set, but it gets the job done; albeit barely. I can 2HKO you using EQ with 2.34% of my health left if I use amnesia on my first turn out. Thank goodness for leftovers. :)

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Ampharos@Leftovers
Modest/Static
252SAtk/252SDef/4HP
Thunder
Substitute
Magnet Rise
HP Grass

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I did, what's wrong?

EDIT: Oh, wait, OU. If you can't counter with standards, how does this help expand knowledge? :/

Post edited w/ Ampharos...

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I did, what's wrong?

EDIT: Oh, wait, OU. If you can't counter with standards, how does this help expand knowledge? :/

Post edited w/ Ampharos...
This DOES expand your knowledge, because the majority of people do know OU Pokemon thanks to it being the standard metagame. By just using BL and under, you are forced to use Pokemon that you aren't nearly as familiar with. Because of this, you will more than likely be expanding your knowledge of Pokemon much more than you would by just playing in an OU-based counter game.

Also, making it BL and under evens the playing field overall and allows for a lot more options. Sounds a little odd I know, but it's completely true.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Ah, I see. I apologize for all those other submissions... gotta try harder.... ^_^;

Cease Tick

Smash Ace
Vs. Ampharos
Wormadam-G @ Leftovers
Adamant/Anticipation
252 Hp/252 Atk/4 Sp.Def
Earthquake
Return
Toxic
Protect

LOLLL Return kills you faster than HP Grass kills me.

M.K

Level 55
Vs. Ampharos
Wormadam-G @ Leftovers
Adamant/Anticipation
252 Hp/252 Atk/4 Sp.Def
Earthquake
Return
Toxic
Protect

LOLLL Return kills you faster than HP Grass kills me.
Magnezone @ Leftovers
Modest // Magnet Pull
252 Sp. Attack/252 Speed/4 Sp. Defense
Magnet Rise
Thunderbolt
Flash Cannon
Hidden Power (Water)

Magnet Rises....then kills you with Hidden Power Water

c3gill

Smash Ace
haunter @ Leftovers
Timid/ Levitate
252 Sp Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Curse
Shadow Ball
Rest
HP Fighting

curse-rest stalling, as you are stuck CMing and Recovering.

M.K

Level 55
haunter @ Leftovers
Timid/ Levitate
252 Sp Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Curse
Shadow Ball
Rest
HP Fighting

curse-rest stalling, as you are stuck CMing and Recovering.
Gallade @ Life Orb
Adamant // Steadfast
252 Attack/252 Speed/4 Special Defense
-Psycho Cut
-X-Scissor
-Brick Break
-Thunderpunch

Survives any of your attacks and OHKO's with Psycho Cut.

WouW

Smash Lord
Magmortar @ Choice Specs
Modest/Flame Body
88HP/236Spe/184SpA
Fire Blast
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast
Hidden Power Ground

EV'd to take two Zen Headbutts, outspeeds regardless of Scarf and can 2HKO you with any move.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Previous counters hold no weight to the current counter.

@Magmorter

Uxie@Leftovers
Calm/Levitate
252HP/98SpDef/156Spe
-Light Screen
-Rest
-Calm Mind
-Energy Ball(idk, wtfnot?)

Can't beat you 1 on 1 but can come in on anything, out speed you and set up Light Screen, then just rest stall your PP.

M.K

Level 55
Previous counters hold no weight to the current counter.

@Magmorter

Uxie@Leftovers
Calm/Levitate
252HP/98SpDef/156Spe
-Light Screen
-Rest
-Calm Mind
-Energy Ball(idk, wtfnot?)

Can't beat you 1 on 1 but can come in on anything, out speed you and set up Light Screen, then just rest stall your PP.
Absol @ Leftovers
Adamant // Super Luck
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 Sp. Defense
-Night Slash
-Psych Up
-X-Scissor
-Zen Headbutt.

Copies any of your positive stat changes, beats out Light Screen with physical attacks, and scores massive hits with Night Slash (possible increased Critical Attack)

I never realized how much fun this is to do. Sometimes I feel like such a noob at it, though. I hope I'm doing alright?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom