• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Console Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

len1

Smash Journeyman
Ps3's will get some sales as blu-ray players are 2.5 times the price of the premium ps3

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Some news on Nintendo and their sales vs the PS3.

http://aussie-nintendo.com/?v=news&p=12741

In a report from Bloomberg today, it was announced that shares in Nintendo Co. gained their highest value since January 1962, when the company was first listed on the stock market. In a rise of 3.2 percent, the stock rose to the price of 37 450 yen at the close of the Osaka Security Exchange.

Nintendo's annual earnings estimate went up for the fourth time this fiscal year, due mainly to sales of the DS and the Wii, which is selling 2:1 against the PS3. The "overweight" status is JPMorgan's highest ranking, and was also given as a result of the DS and Wii sales, according to JPMorgan analysts Eiji Maeda and Yuko Sekine. In their April 13 report, the analysts expected "operating profit growth to remain strong over the medium term," and forecast that Nintendo shares would gain another 15 percent by April 2008.

This rise in share price was more than double the original price over the past year, and overshadowed the 17 percent rise in Sony stock. Nintendo's sales were up 90 percent, to 966 billion yen ($8.1 billion USD) for the year finishing at the end of March, according to a preliminary earning statement released by Nintendo on April 5. A January report predicted 900 billion yen in sales, with 70 percent of that figure from overseas. The decline in the value of the yen against the euro boosted earnings by approximately 20 billion yen, with no exact number given.

Nintendo's definetly not going to die this gen by any rate.

According to Enterbrain Inc., as of last week Nintendo has sold 2.04 million Wii units in Japan since December 2, 2006. Sony has sold approximately 812,000 PS3s between November 11, 2006 and April 2, 2007.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Wow Sony's getting trampled, the best thing about PS3 is getting a cheap Blu-ray player, I hear a normal one costs around $1,000

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Yay, I finally got Metal Slug Anthology for my Wii! ^_^

Hehe, you should've seen the critics of PS3 in one of my countries leading newspapers. The guy who wrote about it obviously didn't know what he was talking about. He said that PS3 deserves a place in the trashes.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Tekken 6, FFXIII, MGS4, DMC not going to be good enough games when it comes out for the PS3? Seriously, I buy systems for one thing....GAMES, I don't care if the system is made by Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, your grandma or whatever, just so long as they have the games that I want to buy.

The Wii has only one game out right now that I want, and that's Zelda...however I bought the GC version instead, because although it maybe an inferior version, it's still the new Zelda:TW game, so I didn't mind.

Hell, I bought an X-Box just a few months back just to get my hands on an arcade perfect version of Street Fighter II : Hyper Fighting.

I haven't bought any of the new generation systems yet so far, however the PS3 will have my money as soon as Tekken6 comes out, as well as FFXIII and MGS4. Does it really matter who's out on top? Seriously, I honestly don't really care, I hope these three systems keep on competeting, that way we'll have some great games comming out for all three of these systems.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
OneWingSephiroth, I saw you said XBox, did you mean 360?

If you read a few pages back, I've harped on the idea that games are better than name brand, as you can see that doesn't really work well here.

I have yet to get an answer to my question: "Why does it matter if a console you already bought sells more units than another? Why dissuade people from buying others?" Seems foolish because the companies don't really care after you buy the console. Most make very little money of games, but make money off selling the licensing rights, so they don't care what you like. Sell it back to EB games? They don't care because they got your money.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Would "If you don't care, why post or even read this?" count as an answer?

It's a name brand, the same reason people like Pepsi over Coke or Nike over Adidas.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I have yet to get an answer to my question: "Why does it matter if a console you already bought sells more units than another? Why dissuade people from buying others?" Seems foolish because the companies don't really care after you buy the console. Most make very little money of games, but make money off selling the licensing rights, so they don't care what you like. Sell it back to EB games? They don't care because they got your money.
Well, it's likely that if a console sells well, companies will make more games for it. So by that logic, you would want your console to do well.

However, I agree that most of the bickering over consoles is generally pretty stupid, and most people do it for the most idiotic reasons.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I'll post if I want to and I don't see you stopping me.

Really that's still an asinine reason. You don't see people bashing Coke or Pepsi at every chance they get. You see people taking preference but they don't say the other is worthless.

Mediocre said:
Well, it's likely that if a console sells well, companies will make more games for it. So by that logic, you would want your console to do well.
This was disproven last gen when the GCN, despite dismal sales still had good titles and X-Box, while a new comer, had amazing titles as well. The reason for both was their first parties are strong and third parties are mostly ports nowadays. The few "exclusive" third party titles usually end up going to another console later or not being nearly as good as first party titles. But, I can see how people can believe that, so I'll give it to you.

I just can't see the point in bashing toys. They aren't necessary by any means and just for entertainment. You don't see people bashing GI Joe because he wasn't as flexible as Spider-Man toys. Go figure.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Mic_128 said:
It's a name brand, the same reason people like Pepsi over Coke or Nike over Adidas.
I would disagree with that. I like a cetain soda because of the way it taste not because of the brand on it. I like a system if it has games I want on it not because it is or isn't made by a certain company and branded with their logo.

Crimson it's just the way they are. It's like Mediocre said, some people just want a console to do well so they have a good game selection. Most of them however just want their "team" to win.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
So basically, it's more of a "I spent a ton of money on this toy now I want it to be the best thing on the market"? Kinda sad, but I can accept that one.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Nope, I actually did mean the X-Box, I never even bothered to buy it until Street Fighter II : Hyper Fighting came out for it, the 360 ver I believe they do have one, is a horrid ver. compared to the arcade perfect XBox version. So yeah, glad you feel the way I do Crimson.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'll post if I want to and I don't see you stopping me.
I'm just saying, don't complain about how stupid and a waste of time it is, if you're going to then post. Perhaps it's just me being in a bad mood already (and last night with my other post) but the old saying of "If you don't like it, don't do it" comes to mind.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Mic_128 said:
but the old saying of "If you don't like it, don't do it" comes to mind.
Which is exactly my point, if you don't like the PS3 or 360, don't play it. If you don't play it, which I can imagine to be the mass majority of people here, you have no right to bash it. If you played a 5 minute demo in the store, you were going off first reactions which are influenced. I played the Wii and my initial reaction was it wasn't great. I reevaluated that after spending more than 5 minutes on it.

Was your point to prove me right?

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Boy, the fanboyism I see in these console wars is beyond me man, I can understand what you mean now Crimson, I'm pretty much going to sit back and let this fly, I guess this must be Revenge of the Nintendo Fanboys since there beloved company got owned by Sony since the 32-Bit days.

Still with me not being a fanboy to any system, I'll be looking forward to MGS4, Final Fantasy XIII, and Tekken 6, games that will be only for the PS3. I'll be looking forward to SSF2T:HD-REMIX for the 360, and Halo3 when it comes out. Yeah I'm sure all these game's "won't" change the tide for the PS3 when they come out, especially a hot game and arguably one of the most, if not the most anticipated game of this year like MGS4.

However I don't care who comes out on front, if it's the Wii, fine, I can finally stop hearing the fanboy remarks, so long as I get the games that I want, I don't really care.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Rumor has it the PS3 may be dropping in price next week. Circuit City is dropping the price to $500 on the 15th, lasting till the 21st... or longer if Sony officially drops the price.

Today Microsoft extended the warranties of all Xbox 360 to 3 years. Originally 6 months, then extended to a year, and now extended to 3 years, it shows that something was indeed faulty in a large fraction of Xbox 360s. Peter Moore released an open letter today to the Xbox community regarding the topic and says they've found the problems and taken the proper measures to fix them. No word on what the problems were. Rumors flying that Microsoft will be releasing their 65mm CPU chips this fall along with smaller and cooler GPU chips as well. A three year warranty on top of cooler running hardware? A huge plus.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Hey, Cashed, how great would it be if Sony dropped it to like 480 on like the 22nd.

If this price drop goes through, that would be the first of the generation right? Or has the 360 come down any. Pretty shocking as last gen, I think the first drop came about a year later.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Hey, Cashed, how great would it be if Sony dropped it to like 480 on like the 22nd.

If this price drop goes through, that would be the first of the generation right? Or has the 360 come down any. Pretty shocking as last gen, I think the first drop came about a year later.
It would be the first for this generation of consoles. The first of last gen was the Xbox, dropping to $200 a mere six months after being released due to horrible sales. As soon as it was dropped to $200 though, it picked up steam.

The Elite will come down in price whenever the Core and the Premium do. Current rumors are saying that for Microsoft to be very competitive this fall, they're going to drop the price on all versions by $100 as Halo 3 gets closer to release.

Nintendo is sitting pretty at $250, they have no need to worry about their price as they are flying off the shelves as is.

clowsui

Smash Legend
haha didn't see this thread, thanks cashed

--
As a Nintendo fanboy, does anyone else think that the Wii is going to lose to t3h 360?

Don't get me wrong.

I love Nintendo.

No, I seriously do.

I love all their franchises, and I love the Wii and DS.

But seriously...get realistic. Look at the 360 Library. Look at Live! Look at everything they have. This is a bit absurd for Ninty to compete against.

I don't care what Reggie or Nintendo says when they're not competing - they are. The fact that they're in the same industry is clear that they have to compete. Their lack of success in the previous generation just led them to this kind of bullsh*t statement about how they're not competing. It's just like a child being denied candy dozens of times and seeing that he can't get it, just says "Well I didn't care anyways." The fact that they're searching for customers, searching for those same customers that could buy a 360 or a PS3 or a Wii is enough proof that they're competing.

One might say the Wii is at the beginning of its life cycle. I acknowledge the effect of this, but it can go either way. Look at the Dreamcast - it was out before the Gamecube, held the same graphics, yet completely failed. Look at the 360 - it was out before any of the other 7th gens and has pretty much the same power as the PS3 yet it's pwning. onoz price deters ppl away frum ps3! Since when the F*CK did people care about prices? Seriously, original price of NES was 200 or 250! Yet it was still a hit. Don't give me that crap about how it was a bundle; Wii is bundled with Wii Sports.

With Nintendo's lack of HD, lack of processing power + graphics and lack of good online service, this is a huge "ugh" for customers.
"Graphics don't matter!" orly now? Whether you like it or not, people judge a book by its cover. Cover, in games = graphics. So what do you have to say now?
"There are good games without HD!" I agree...but again, people like good looking things, right?
"Some games look good but aren't fun!" Of course these games exist. But they're still being purchased, right? They'll find out its not fun but its already contributed to sales.
"Online d-" I'm not even gonna answer this one...most people know that online is way important nowadays.
"Wii's selling really well right now!" Alright, this contributes to overall success.
"360 games are so bland - solely violence + graphics!" ...bland games are still selling? Well I guess people don't mind blandness.

Look at the success of the 360! Sure, you might have more time to develop by being out longer, but I implore you to look at the Dreamcast again. Different market? Sure, but that's irrelevant.

Oh, you say, well the GBA and the DS aren't failing. Assuming that you do say this (and if you don't well you don't), they're handhelds, not consoles. The market is different.

But really...I don' tknow what else to say, I guess.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
As a Nintendo fanboy, does anyone else think that the Wii is going to lose to t3h 360?
I dont know what you mean exactly by "lose". Nintendo has a market selling to a wide area of people including cooped up senior citizens and other people who normally would never touch a video game controller. (My parents thought the Wii was fun. My parents!)That's something the 360 doesn't really aim for so I guess the Wii "wins" in that department.

Edit: I'll probably be picking up a 360 once there's a price drop and when Microsoft fixes the 360 from all its kinks. I really dont want to sit around waiting for it to be repaired all the time.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Nintendo with the Wii, like the PS2, isn't about power or technology, but universality, in that they want their console in every home asap and they know that if they console race is drawn out (which Sony has said they plan to draw it out) they would lose. The Wii is in a pretty good position like the PS2 was in. It's relatively cheap (once the others came out the PS2 was indeed cheaper) and it has a strong potential library. The Wii lacks what the PS2 had and that was a new, fresh fan base. The Playstation defeated the Nintendo 64 and Sega Saturn with it's first outing. That opened eyes of a lot of gamers and many jumped on the PS2, as did developers. Nintendo, not having the 3rd party support of Sony and the ever increasing first party of Microsoft, is left with just it's first party.

The Wii has caught a lot of eyes with it's innovative technology. Sony, especially, and MS have gone for technology and installed fanbase. Sony will have a shot in the long run if they continue to lower their price, get developers, and impress gamers. 360 has a year lead with titles, a great online program and plenty to look forward to. Really, it's way to early to declare any losers. Wii can drop to last. Sony could out sell both. 360 could triple their sales. A fourth console could enter. Anything can happen. Wait at least 2 years before really deciding anything with this war.

Edit:
I dont know what you mean exactly by "lose". Nintendo has a market selling to a wide area of people including cooped up senior citizens and other people who normally would never touch a video game controller. (My parents thought the Wii was fun. My parents!)That's something the 360 doesn't really aim for so I guess the Wii "wins" in that department.
Just because people find it fun, doesn't mean they will buy it. I have tons of friends who don't play video games. We played the Wii at a few parties and they all want me to get one, but have no desire to put the money for one. This was in a sense what Nintendo kept exclaiming; they appeal to the non-gamer. Just the non-gamer sees no reason to pay $250 for a toy.

clowsui

Smash Legend
What about us? The "hardcore"?
If Nintendo can make so many sales on the non-hardcore gamers with its Wii for Everyone motto and party games that kinda suck, why should they change? Okay, there's a few "hardcore" games that're going to come out, but will those sales amounts compare to the sales of bad, family multiplayer games?

I also have another problem with Nintendo: the friend code idea is really inconvenient. In my opinion, it expresses a distrust in customers and their families. Why does the company have to take responsibility for foolish customers? If the company can't trust its customers to do the right thing, then how can it trust itself? If money is what establishes a company's success, and money comes from customers, then customers establish the success of a company. While there is a "find random players" option, wouldn't it just be easier to set up a "room" system?

I dunno, I love Nintendo and I understand that maybe it's a bit too early to say, but certain events/games in this generation have left me skeptical about the Wii's success.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Sony had the best press conference of the show.

1. PSP Redesigned and Bundled
  2. Killzone 2 In-Game Footage
  3. Tons of PSP Games
  4. 5 new PSN games (Wipeout HD, EchoChrome [JESUS!], Warhawk, Pain, and Socom)
  5. MGS4 Exclusive to the PS3
  6. Some great Home footage
  7. The best of the conference: Jack Tretton in Home asking Kaz Hirai if he's playing "Rrrrrriiiiiiddddggeee RRRRAACCCEEEERRR" to which Kaz said "I knew someone would call me on that, but I didn't think it'd be you."

PSP can now run games to the TV as well as videos. The redesign and bundles are shipping for September. PSN looks better and better. And we have some great exclusives. If you have a PS3 and internet access you can download all the vids in HD. Thanks to G4's ****ty coverage and camera angles, I have to go download a bunch.

Super Smash Kid

Smash Rookie
Here are the pros and cons of each system in order of importance (in my opinion anyway).

Wii

Pros:

Cheap
A Family System
High Level of Interactivity
Internet Browser
Backwards Compatible

Cons:
Easily breakable
Overheats
Bad graphics

Xbox 360

Pros:
Very good graphics
Good Titles
Nice processing power
Good amount of storage (Regular and Elite)
Newly extended warranty

Cons:
Many technical problems when released
Not fully backward compatible

PS3

Pros:
Good graphics, titles, and processing power, and amount of storage.

Cons:
Very overpriced
Many technical errors

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
This is all I want to say so far, regarding the Press Conferences. I really think Nintendo fans, or Wii fans, are fickle. We have one so-so conference, and people are already jumping the gun that this system is heading in the wrong direction. As anyone knows, Nintendo doesn't show all their guns at one time. Take e3 06, for example. Brawl was not shown till the next day, a game that is considered the big 3. Nintendo is having another big hour tomorrow, as they are taking the main stage at 3 o'clock central time. I think there is more to be shown.

I don't think they would have Miamoto come down, just to present one game. Truth be told, some of those sony games are looking mighty fine. I think we shouldn't judge any of the companies performances, until after e3 is said and done, not after a press conference.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
This is all I want to say so far, regarding the Press Conferences. I really think Nintendo fans, or Wii fans, are fickle. We have one so-so conference, and people are already jumping the gun that this system is heading in the wrong direction. As anyone knows, Nintendo doesn't show all their guns at one time. Take e3 06, for example. Brawl was not shown till the next day, a game that is considered the big 3. Nintendo is having another big hour tomorrow, as they are taking the main stage at 3 o'clock central time. I think there is more to be shown.

I don't think they would have Miamoto come down, just to present one game. Truth be told, some of those sony games are looking mighty fine. I think we shouldn't judge any of the companies performances, until after e3 is said and done, not after a press conference.
This is why I hate fanboys. Last year, Sony had an atrocious press conference and as a result hundreds of YTMNDs and Youtube vids were made. Now, when Sony had an excellent show, and Nintendo dropped the ball, no one gives them the credit. MS had a good show overall, keeping only games to this year, but Sony blew the rest away.

I wish they had more PC games because I really hate consoles when people act like that.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
All I can say is, Fire Emblem, MP3, Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, RE:UC, CoD, Mario Kart Wii, is certainly enough in terms of games. And that's just a selection of games I'm looking forward to. If you can't find things worth looking forward to on the Wii, you have a problem with being too picky.

Now I do agree that nintendo needs to have less ******** online. Hello? You need to friend someone's Wii and then you need to friend their game also? WHY? If your consoles are friended, why can't you play them in a game with out another friend code. Oh , and let's say I have 100 friends entered. Well, I've already entered, let's see, 1600 numbers. By pointing and clicking. You're saying you need to do that FOR EVERY SINGLE GAME? Let's see, MKWii, Brawl, and CoD. That's another 4800 clicks. Fun.

Friend codes should be an option. You've already got a parental control system, just have it so within that system you make codes manadatory or not. Or at least do that thing with assigning Wiicodes to Miis so we can just transfer them.

Oh, and nintendo, I really would love a harddrive. Sorry, but 512 MB just doesn't cut it. Downloading trailers and demos is awesome. You wanted to keep the price down initially? Great. But it's not hard to make a USB compatible HDD. Or as some suggested make aN HDD that replaces the stand. Doesn't take any more space, and it gives you room to do so much more. Plus, it benefits YOU. It ADVERTISES YOUR GAMES. Let's say a game get's cruddy reviews. Someone may not buy it. But if they played the demo and liked it, they might ignore the reviews.

An HDD and downloadable content benefits both the consumers and nintendo. SO why not do it? Maybe nintendo thinks people wouldn't buy it. Okay, they'd have o be idiots to think that. And even if they didn't take an oppurtunity to make their own, making the USB ports compatible with existing HDDs and flash drives is so much nicer than using stupid SD cards.

Speaking of space, what about channels. At the rate we're going, we're getting tons of new channels. But the problem is, there's a limited number of spaces. I think 48? And each VC game takes up one space. So even if you still have room on your 512MB, you don't have enough room on screen. There's two easy ways to fix this.

1) Make it unlimited.
2) Make it customizable. It's not too hard, and much more organized and pleasing. Maybe have a channel for all your VC games, with sub channels that contain games for each respective console. Or maybe make a mario channel, with all your mario classics. Maybe a Wiiware downloadED channel, to separate your old and new stuff. It's not that hard, just like folders on a computer but prettier.

There's so much else that could be fixed with the console. Don't get me wrong. What Wii stands for, it's controller, and it's games are all great. I own only a Wii, nothing else (though that's partly a monetary reason, towards the end of the 360/PS3's life, when the prices are all the way down, I'll consider buying one). But there's a lot of things in the Wii's internal software and some of it's hardware that could be fixed. Things that would be profiable. SO FREAKING DO THEM ALREADY.

edit: CK, I'm with you on teh content of the PS3 conference being freaking awesome. Though, no being an owner, a lot of it seemed a bit uneeded. I'd seriously consider a PS3 if it was cheaper. Only problem is right now the only game I'd want is resistance.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Ugh, I was so dissapointed with Nintendo's conference. I know that this new crowd the're a focusing on is making them money and a lot of it but it would be nice to having something for "us" too.

I would love to see some new games from Nintendo and the only new games from last year haven't been mentioned yet. I'll more than likely buy Mario Galaxy. I know it. Nintendo knows it.

I can't blame them for makng 12 versions of Brain Age they know it makes them money and that's what companys do. But I still want games for their "other" customers like me.

Sir Jigsbee

Smash Cadet
No hardcore Nintendo games!? I beg to differ!

Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Matroid Prime, Fire Emblem, Resident Evil, Super Smash Bros Brawl etc.

On the DS?

New Super Mario Bros, Kirby Mouse Attack, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, Metroid Prime, Final Fantasy III; XII, etc.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
No hardcore Nintendo games!? I beg to differ!

Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Matroid Prime, Fire Emblem, Resident Evil, Super Smash Bros Brawl etc.
Twilight Princess and Resident Evil were made for the GCN and ported to the Wii with hopes that people who bought it once, would buy it again.

I think the rest, however, do classify as "hardcore" titles.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Twilight Princess and Resident Evil were made for the GCN and ported to the Wii with hopes that people who bought it once, would buy it again.

I think the rest, however, do classify as "hardcore" titles.
Actually SPM was supposed to be a GC game as well. So that's 3.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
This is why I hate fanboys. Last year, Sony had an atrocious press conference and as a result hundreds of YTMNDs and Youtube vids were made. Now, when Sony had an excellent show, and Nintendo dropped the ball, no one gives them the credit. MS had a good show overall, keeping only games to this year, but Sony blew the rest away.

I wish they had more PC games because I really hate consoles when people act like that.
Nintendo's conference wasn't THAT bad. Sony's was better this year, but Nintendo wasn't as bad as Sony was last year.

And Sony's actually been given a lot of praise on websites that actually know what gaming is about. Heck, even I want a PS3 now.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
Ps3 is already heading to a price drop and there noticing there mistakes. Where as Wii has been sold out in my area and others around me for months. Obviouslly Wii is the best.On a side question does the Wii have a defalt Rom feature for when you buy a game off line because if you bought all the games, Wii will offer in the next couple years that would be a **** load of memory unless, there was a form of compression and also will the wii have game boy games. I wonder?

xTOXNx

Smash Apprentice
Day the 65mm chips come out: +1 sales for the 360.

I already have the money and mass e
rrection
ffect is too good. I also have to finish the fight.

I own the wii already and although it's a great system, 360 is wayyyy to strong in terms of games and support.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Nintendo's conference wasn't THAT bad. Sony's was better this year, but Nintendo wasn't as bad as Sony was last year.

And Sony's actually been given a lot of praise on websites that actually know what gaming is about. Heck, even I want a PS3 now.
I respect your opinion, but I disagree. Nintendo's conference was awful to me, I don't know/remember Sony's conference last year so I can't compare.

I kinda want all of the systems, I can't get Halo on a Wii or PS3, I can't get Brawl on a 360 or a ps3 and I can't get KH3 on a Wii or a 360. Each console has titles that make the system worth getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom