• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

**The NEW competitive guide to Jigglypuff**

gugtup

Smash Rookie
rollout just as your opponent hits the ground, use an upward throw to send them into the air.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Here's a Puff infinite: Sing, when they wake up, another sing, it's totally legit I have won 7 tourneys with it hurr durr

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
Here's a Puff infinite: Sing, when they wake up, another sing, it's totally legit I have won 7 tourneys with it hurr durr
In all serious, I wonder if an infinite ledge-canceled sing would be possible. It would probably be considered stalling so you wouldn't be able to use it in a competitive match (lol sing in a tourney match) but it'd be hilarious to pull off in like friendlies. Troll your opponent all game with one of the worst moves in smash.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
In all serious, I wonder if an infinite ledge-canceled sing would be possible. It would probably be considered stalling so you wouldn't be able to use it in a competitive match (lol sing in a tourney match) but it'd be hilarious to pull off in like friendlies. Troll your opponent all game with one of the worst moves in smash.
The problem is that you have to account for MANY things in order to use Sing in succession. Wake up time varies based on percentages and player inputs, which coupled with each Sing pulse having very few frames of activation makes this nearly impossible. To add one more nail to the coffin, pulse one doesn't hit until frame 29.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
rollout just as your opponent hits the ground, use an upward throw to send them into the air.
Yeah that can work it's a tech chase. I do f-throw to rollout. Rollout and f-smash is nice for punishing landing opponents. I think I mentioned that on f-smash I'll have to double check for rollout. I know i mentioned tech chases in killing tips for rollout.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
Start a rollout at the same moment someone throws out a random smash attack and it will hit most likely hit half charged
Ex) mk's fsmash/downsmash or marth's fsmash/upsmash

B.Mack

Smash Ace
I just use rollout to punish landings especially from moves like nado and it works perfectly.

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
I'd think you'd be able to. This is also useful since Jigglypuff's shield is bad against Mach Tornado; even if you tilt your shield up you can't shield every hit of it if the mk uses it correctly.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Puff can rest tornado out of a normal PS anyways I think with the invincibility.
And PSC is misleading, it's just fully abusing powershield.
It's kinda like Perfect Power Shield, not cancel.

Kinda like how Bdacus is a perfect Dacus, not a new AT.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
I dont think PSC rest can ever be reliable. still poses the same risks as a drillrest. you arent completly sure if it will hit, but if you take the time to check, you miss the frames where its guaranteed.

EDIT: PSC only works for moves that hit in under 6 frames. dash attack hits on frame 5. :awesome:

SoulPech

Smash Master
is this legit? I just thought jiggz jab was near useless unless your jab canceling to grab.
I decided to add some stuff that I was experimenting in some of my matches. I only got to the 5th page in this forum. I didn't see some of this stuff discussed, so I figured I could add some insight to it.

1) I believe, if it hits, it can combo at 30% (Reply to ISY'S post)

2) If you push them towards the edge, you can do the 1-2 punch and grab, pummel till you release, then you can WoP. Also, you can also jab cancel repeatedly just for a mindgame to see how they react. Also, something else I want to add on this. at 160% on a Snake, I grabbed him. I pummeled him until I released (this was the middle of the stage). When this happened, I attempted to do a dash attack to push him off the edge. Instead, I KO'd him with Dash A. The player claimed he COULD NOT MOVE at that percentage when he was grab-released. (If this is confirmed, I will post it in the match-up thread).

3) At low percentage, if you get the spacing right, you can perform a ground F-air + grab or a FF F-Fair to AC, then Grab

4) I believe you can buffer the Drill + Rest, so that even if they don't trip, they do have a temporary stun. The downside to the Drill is the opponent can SDI away from the drill, which makes it harder to Drill + Rest. Instead, I just mindgame with a drill, wait to see what they do (most likely they will shield to block the rest) Then I grab them. Sometimes, I will do 2-3 drills in a row then land far enough away where they will attack, but whiff; then I whack 'em.

EDIT: A ton of grammatical errors. Majority fixed.

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
I swear Jiggs must have like the worst jab in the game. At low percents I'm pretty certain they can interrupt you before you get the 2nd jab in because it's happened to me before. It's ********. It's good for spotdodge checking I guess.

I doubt that grab release combo because it depends on how much frame advantage you have, if any. That might work against Ness or Lucas though since they have a laggy grab release.

Fair> grab is legit, I use it all the time. Nair works too. At low percents, uair and pound can psuedo combo into a grab very well because of the low knockback and limited options. Also drill>grab. You have to be careful at low percents because they don't have much hitstun so they can break out, so it's good to put up a shield if you predict an interrupt. Watch out for grabs as well.

SoulPech

Smash Master
I doubt that grab release combo because it depends on how much frame advantage you have, if any. .
It works well against Snake because of the distance on the release. Plus, it is used to put pressure on the opponent to put them off stage, which can result in WoP or gimping. On Metaknight, however, fuggedaboutit.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
You guys are posting some nice information. Which ones should I add to the guide?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
This is a pretty much already well known fact but I just thought of something pretty cool.

As you may or may not know, if a character is hit while charging a smash attack they are sent further than normal.

Well what I was thinking was if we try focusing on resting opponents as they are charging a smash we will get kills much much faster. And these are pretty drastic differences too.

Note: This does not include DI but simply just add on another 15% if you want to count it.

I tested it out for myself and this is what the results were.

Resting a standing Meta on FD will kill him at 59%
Resting a Charging Smash Meta on FD will kill him at 25%

Resting a standing Snake on FD will kill him at 80%
Resting a Charging Smash Snake on FD will kill him at 45%

Basically, you can get a rest kill at least 30% faster than you normally can if you hit them while they are charging a smash attack. It doesn't matter how much they have charged it either, they just need to be charging it.

This also leads me to the conclusion of punishing DACUS with rest, since DACUS requires players to charge smash attacks and its an offensive tatic. Most particularly Snake's DACUS. Just think, interrupting that will get him killed pretty darn early.

But yeah some of you probably already knew this but I just wanted to bring that up to see if we could further develop this idea.

Also extra fun fact: Jigglypuff can rest kill a charging smash Jigglypuff with Rest on the top platform on Halbered at 5%

SoulPech

Smash Master
It sounds risky. I say that because some characters have quicker smash attacks than normal. Plus, the percents would have to be at a good number too. As for Snake rest while he DACUS', it's risky because if he lands back on the platform and you're still sleeping, you're boned. I've been trying to find ways to see if there's a way to shorten the cool down time after rest. Some people may know this, but the only way is when you rest in the water.

T-block

B2B TST
That's an interesting idea... I didn't know the effect was that extreme to be killing 30% earlier. While it's something to look out for, I don't see how we could really incorporate this into any sort of strategy...

As for DACUS, most DACUS's are performed without the charge. Even with Snake, I see them use no charge more often than not.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
That's an interesting idea... I didn't know the effect was that extreme to be killing 30% earlier. While it's something to look out for, I don't see how we could really incorporate this into any sort of strategy...

As for DACUS, most DACUS's are performed without the charge. Even with Snake, I see them use no charge more often than not.
alright then it wouldn't work against him. We just got to think of other characters that will normally charge their smash attacks.

Maybe people like Meta doing his pivot forward smash or something. Resting a King DDD, Bowser, or DK will still kill them at like 60% even with DI, and they like to charge smashes every now and then too.

Sure were probably not going to get the opportunity to do this often but I'm just saying if you find a chance to rest somebody while their charging a smash attack I'd recommend giving it a try.

And also if your afraid that they'll live just test it out to see when they die the earliest. Get somebody to DI for the other character too. That's what I do, I memorize all the death percentages for rest so I don't waste any time when I get past the % I need them to be at.

But if anything this would be much better as a doubles tactic rather than a singles tactic. Players are less suspicious to you and your rest and might be trying to charge smash attack your teammate as you sneak behind them and rest them.

I've been trying to find ways to see if there's a way to shorten the cool down time after rest. Some people may know this, but the only way is when you rest in the water.
You can also land on a spring jump on Pictochat (The Spring Jump Drawings) or get hit by the lava in Norfair and Brinstar.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Whoops...forgot those :/

Still, it would be interesting to find a way to decrease the cool down WITHOUT an environmental hazard.

As for your theory about the charge smashes, I'll see if I can get some people to help me with that next week.

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
You guys are posting some nice information. Which ones should I add to the guide?
Add the >grab combos if you want.
You should add the part about jab not comboing until 30% which Ito was pointing out. Like I said, they can interrupt with quick moves, like it's possible to Rest out of it. Also jab can start a wall "infinite"at higher percents :awesome: on most walls they will hit the wall and fall on the ground (pretty sure they can't tech), but on some walls like the wall of the waterway on delfino they're just suspended midair.

Since I'm talking about wall shenanigans anyways, on the latter type of walls you can use dsmash, which is more hilarious. It doesn't work till 40 or something I don't remember, but at MUCH higher percents (which you get to very quickly) they are stuck in a massive amount of hitstun, so you can actually taunt in between the dsmashes. Try it on Corneria's wall and you'll see what I mean. Not something likely to use competively but awesome for lulzy friendlies.
People don't really charge smashes anyways.
I see DKs and Ikes charge smashes all the time. Problem is hitting them with Rest while they're charging. They could release the smash before you Rest them =\

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I see DKs and Ikes charge smashes all the time. Problem is hitting them with Rest while they're charging. They could release the smash before you Rest them =\
Thats why I think it might be better to do it in doubles instead of singles. Because people will charge smashes more often in doubles.

We could do this kind of senario. Have a double Jigglypuff team. One Jigglypuff misses rest on purpouse and then while the other person is charging their smash attack on the sleeping Jigglypuff the other one rests him.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
Thats why I think it might be better to do it in doubles instead of singles. Because people will charge smashes more often in doubles.

We could do this kind of senario. Have a double Jigglypuff team. One Jigglypuff misses rest on purpouse and then while the other person is charging their smash attack on the sleeping Jigglypuff the other one rests him.
i like to partner with dk players and miss a rest on purpose in front of the edge while an opponents on it, and have the dk player punish the punishment/stage return. It was really effective.

Forever Forgotten

Smash Rookie
Actually, Jigglypuff is not the lightest character. Both Mr. Game and Watch and Squirtle are lighter than her. (Just thought I'd point that out.) Great job on the guide, though. :)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
That was Melee, in Brawl Puff is the lightest as EraOfGames showed you.
Her mobility I think still lets her live longer than Squirtle horizontally.

T-block

B2B TST
Yeah - I think this is the relevant stat:

Aerial Mobility Boost While Decelerating

1. Mr. Game & Watch (0.07)
2. Jigglypuff (0.05)
3. R.O.B. (0.04)
3. Samus (0.04)
3. Wario (0.04)
6. Kirby (0.03)
7. Bowser (0.01)
7. Captain Falcon (0.01)
7. Charizard (0.01)
7. Donkey Kong (0.01)
7. Falco (0.01)
7. Fox (0.01)
7. Ganondorf (0.01)
7. Ice Climbers (0.01)
7. Ike (0.01)
7. Ivysaur (0.01)
7. King Dedede (0.01)
7. Link (0.01)
7. Lucas (0.01)
7. Mario (0.01)
7. Marth (0.01)
7. Meta Knight (0.01)
7. Ness (0.01)
7. Olimar (0.01)
7. Peach (0.01)
7. Pikachu (0.01)
7. Pit (0.01)
7. Sheik (0.01)
7. Snake (0.01)
7. Sonic (0.01)
7. Squirtle (0.01)
7. Toon Link (0.01)
7. Wolf (0.01)
7. Yoshi (0.01)
7. Zelda (0.01)
7. Zero Suit Samus (0.01)
37. Diddy Kong (0.00)
37. Lucario (0.00)
37. Luigi (0.00)
This shows how effectively a character can reduce their horizontal velocity to zero.

Forever Forgotten

Smash Rookie
Well, I guess someone must have changed it AFTER I looked at it, because I even double-checked to make sure that the information stated that Squirtle and Mr. Game & Watch were lighter because I was surprised to see that.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I guess Smash Wiki isn't so reliable anymore...
never was

as for being super technical, i honestly dont think it's too important as it's all wording. I can change it to "one of the lightest" if i done goofed but i mean who gives a ****, point is she's super light and dies easily. If your going to nitpick please make it worthwhile, like a big mistake. Not being salty im just saying it's silly. Even if she isnt the lightest she's still going to die the fastest because she doesnt have any super good momentum canceling things like G&W's bucket. Still if it needs to be changed let me know and thanks for compliment on guide.

T-block

B2B TST
As an aside, the term "weight" is actually misleading. In Smash, "launch resistance" is more accurate for what we're trying to describe.

Not that I expect anyone to start using it, but I thought I'd put it out there.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Launch resistance is usually the attribute we use for weight but we just call is weight for convenience.
Am I right? D:

Top Bottom