• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The MK Legal Ruleset Discussion

Judo777

Smash Master
How is punishing the air-dodge not relevant? If you just spam air-dodges trying to instant throw items back to me you're going to get punished hard...
It's NOT prediction is all I said. You can do it everytime, and if you guess wrong you don't get hit by the item. You might get hit by something else but not the item. That's all I was saying. And in MANY cases the airdodge won't be punished.

I mean I suppose its a slight predicition cause you don't just jump around spamming airdodges but its not like a hard read that requires you to go ball out to do.

Also LGL are simply a tool to help characters with an otherwise inherent weakness not be exploitable. It would be kinda like putting a grab limit for Ness and Lucas. There is like 5 characters max that can't stop planking, and only in given situations.

It just so happens that most of the characters who can't stop it are also SPECTACULAR at keeping the lead. so just dont lose it.

The ruleset as it exists is already built to be fair to some and unfair to others. The fact that planking even exists in a game where it shouldnt is evidence of this. Its a product of the ideology, so such side effects mean nothing at all. Theres no 'degrees of fairness' on this matter, an lgl wont make the game any more or less fair than it already was, but it will help balance the game.

You can't push your ideology when it was already ignored to begin in making the existing ruleset , youre just creating a bigger mess as you force a combination of two viewpoints that cant coexist.
When I said fair, what did you interpret it as?

I think you completely missed my point.

Cassio

Smash Master
Meaning if you alter something, its going to adversely affect one character (or group of characters) over another. At least thats how it made sense in your posts context. Care to clarify if you meant something different?

Raziek calm down, lol. Add even a minimal amount of items, and planking would be non-existant. We created the issue of planking while attempting to remove randomness (in spite of how inconsistent our ruleset is in removing elements that are random :facepalm:).

Adding an lgl will make the game more balanced, but it can't be done fairly. Same was true when we removed items and a large portion of stages for the sake of eliminating random factors.

Lastly my issue isnt his ideology, its the inconsistency with mixing two conflicting ideologies. We were ok in being unfair while removing items and stages, but when it creates balance issues we need to fix suddenly we care about fairness when discussing an lgl? This line of thinking is 100% the reason why we ended up with the most powerful ruleset MK could have and makes little to no logical sense.

An lgl is consistent and necessary with the path we're on. If theres issues with lgls and fairness then the solution to be fair all around, not selectively. That just creates a mess.

*headdesk*

Which rule are we adding to "keep MK legal"?
Actually BPC, I'm just going to entertain you.

Have fun. :awesome:

Meaning if you alter something, its going to adversely affect one character (or group of characters) over another. At least thats how it made sense in your posts context. Care to clarify if you meant something different?
Yeah, you missed my point. I'm talking about the rule itself being unfair, cause it's broken.

>> My point

My overall point is that in order to make an MK legal ruleset "that makes sense" (cause adding broken rules does not make sense), you would have to assume that planking isn't broken, and take no action against it.

An lgl is consistent and necessary with the path we're on.
This quote is interesting.

NNID
Budget_Player
Actually BPC, I'm just going to entertain you.

Have fun. :awesome:
Ah, IDC.

Tell me, have you seen any of the similar rules in this regard? Hell, let's just pick one at random: ending locks and CGs at 300%. Should we ban ICs and DDD rather than that technique? When a character has a broken stalling tactic which is clearly recognizable and bannable, we should ban the character, not the tactic? When has this ever happened anywhere else? This flies in the face of all established tradition in this community.

Do me a favor and give me an example that isn't ******** please. :glare:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'd say 300% is just the limit we put for stalling purposes. Something measurable by the game unlike trying to mentally do math with the timer.

Cassio

Smash Master
I read your big post and Im still not gathering what you mean by fair in regards to the lgl.

As it applies to characters its certainly not fair, but you said it wasnt this.

If you mean fairness as it applies to the player, a rule that is applied to all players is indeed fair as it fits the definition of being impartial.

If you mean fair as it applies to the community and/or its rules (aka what we've deemed to qualify as victory), the term becomes subjective and the point weak. If that were the case Id simply say the lgl is just another way to measure victory, just like when the timer was added, and suddenly the rule is fair. It fits well with the ideology we use to create rules to boot.

Im not sure what else it can be applied, but Im thinking you might mean something other than fair. Some clarity would be appreciated.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
It's NOT prediction is all I said. You can do it everytime, and if you guess wrong you don't get hit by the item. You might get hit by something else but not the item. That's all I was saying. And in MANY cases the airdodge won't be punished.

I mean I suppose its a slight predicition cause you don't just jump around spamming airdodges but its not like a hard read that requires you to go ball out to do.
Um, if you air-dodge in the air without landing, then I can just throw the item as the air-dodge is ending, or z-drop aerial you out of it, if you air-dodge into the ground and I throw, the item will either hit you during your landing lag, or will hit your shield (or you if you don't shield), depending on the item I'll still have follow-ups on your shield, and many have large shield damage or amazing shield pressure.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
I'd say 300% is just the limit we put for stalling purposes. Something measurable by the game unlike trying to mentally do math with the timer.
Ledge grab count is measurable by the game. You can check it at the end of a match.

:phone:

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...

Plural.

IDCG, LGL, ANOTHER LGL for MK & MK only, Scrooging (Charizard & Pit are so broken), and that's not even mentioning all the ideas that were proposed & rejected for various reasons.

To turn that into Pokemon terms to show how silly it is:
You can use Rayquaza in standard, but he's not allowed to use Dragon Dance, Swords Dance, Agility, or Extremespeed.

It's the exact same thing.
Im melee the ic freeze glitch is banned, wobbling is generally banned, and having an inescapable chaingrab last beyond 300% is banned. Let's ban ic then, not the stalling tactics? Why? Because there is more then one anti stall rule needed to stop them from stalling?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Im melee the ic freeze glitch is banned, wobbling is generally banned, and having an inescapable chaingrab last beyond 300% is banned. Let's ban ic then, not the stalling tactics? Why? Because there is more then one anti stall rule needed to stop them from stalling?

Freeze glitch afaik only works on 1.0 and 1.1, so it may not even need to be banned most of the time.

The 300% rule doesn't target any specific character, as is only in place so that players can't bypass stock count for victory.
Otherwise characters get an unfair advantage when we increase the stock count past 1.
Infinites don't fit in with smash because we have no life bar, so to keep the game competitive we turn them into 0 > death's through the 300% rule.

And there's a clear difference between a completely legitimate character who has an infinite and a situational glitch, and one who by design is that much better than all the other characters, and on top of how great he is in 'normal' play, he can abuse his attributes to essentially break the game in certain situations.

Crow!

Smash Lord
After spending well more than a year being frustrated with not being permitted to discuss having MK banned (even within the BBR), I'm kind of surprised this thread isn't locked. Mind you, I don't think it should be, but I'm still bitter about the unfair treatment we had before.

Count your blessings, guys.

Judo777

Smash Master
Um, if you air-dodge in the air without landing, then I can just throw the item as the air-dodge is ending, or z-drop aerial you out of it, if you air-dodge into the ground and I throw, the item will either hit you during your landing lag, or will hit your shield (or you if you don't shield), depending on the item I'll still have follow-ups on your shield, and many have large shield damage or amazing shield pressure.
yes, yes I know I play the game believe it or not. All I said was this, instant throwing is not really prediction related (because its not) however obviously NO tactic in the game is perfectly safe. Brawl doesn't have many option selects, it does have a few tho. Another one is like Nairing offstage with MK and hitting the L button during a Nair in case you get SLed to option select the tech. Mk (and everyone else for that matter) can do this everytime he nairs offstage and try for it. Does it mean he has to predict a hit to tech? No he can option select and do it everytime. Is it punishable for tryintg? yes of course it is everything in this game is unsafe for the most part. If another MK read it he can dair him instead and possibly kill him or something.

If you are diddy (or any character) and you are afraid they will hit you with a banana and your in the air, most people will airdodge if they think their gonna get hit, if you happen to it A when you airdodge, you will option select an instant toss. If they infact throw the banana you instant throw it back, if not you airdodge which is probably what you were gonna do in the first place (if you thought diddy was gonna hit you with it). Is it punishable? Yes very! Doesn't mean option selects really require prediction, they are option selects thats the point, you do one thing and the game picks the best of the 2 for the situation.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
Freeze glitch afaik only works on 1.0 and 1.1, so it may not even need to be banned most of the time.

The 300% rule doesn't target any specific character, as is only in place so that players can't bypass stock count for victory.
Otherwise characters get an unfair advantage when we increase the stock count past 1.
Infinites don't fit in with smash because we have no life bar, so to keep the game competitive we turn them into 0 > death's through the 300% rule.

And there's a clear difference between a completely legitimate character who has an infinite and a situational glitch, and one who by design is that much better than all the other characters, and on top of how great he is in 'normal' play, he can abuse his attributes to essentially break the game in certain situations.
He is abusing a particular set of tactics. All these tactics are based around stalling. Thus all of these tactics are bannable. This is very similar to banning a freeze glitch or rising pound.

Without his stalling tactics, mk is still the best character. But being the best character is not enough for banning. Other games have had unquestioned best characters. In the smash series just look at pikachu in smash 64.

MK does not make a majority of the cast unplayable or anything like that, even with his stall tactics. Without his stall tactic the matchups would only get better for the other character (not in there advantage but not as sharply in mks advantage either). I know the match up charts are out of date, but they are still a decent reference. Assuming a -2 or worse matchup is enough to keep characters from being viable. There is only one character who has a -2 or worse against mk and lacks a -2 or worse matchup against another character and that's toon link. That's not even close to a majority of the cast. That's just one character that mk alone makes unviable. Again, this is ifnwe assume unviable to mean having a -2 or worse matchup against a cast member. This type of pattern continues if you look for -3 or worse and -4 or worse.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
After spending well more than a year being frustrated with not being permitted to discuss having MK banned (even within the BBR), I'm kind of surprised this thread isn't locked. Mind you, I don't think it should be, but I'm still bitter about the unfair treatment we had before.

Count your blessings, guys.
You are correct and I want to remind all people that this page is truly only for constructive ruleset changes. These changes can not include banning a character. And these rulesets have to be based upon making the game overall better and allowing for an mk legal ruleset.

Ah, IDC.

Tell me, have you seen any of the similar rules in this regard? Hell, let's just pick one at random: ending locks and CGs at 300%. Should we ban ICs and DDD rather than that technique? When a character has a broken stalling tactic which is clearly recognizable and bannable, we should ban the character, not the tactic? When has this ever happened anywhere else? This flies in the face of all established tradition in this community.

Do me a favor and give me an example that isn't ******** please. :glare:
A case where somebody banned a character over a tactic? I'm sure that somebody else could give you a better answer because I'm not familiar with other fighting games at all, but wasn't Akuma banned because his aerial fireballs were too much for the game to handle? Instead of banning his fireballs (which they most likely could), they simply banned the character. Things like this don't happen in our community because we do things so much differently than other communities do.

I don't see the case you're trying to make.

Also, Crow's post makes sense. Try to refute it instead of simply calling it ********.

I read your big post and Im still not gathering what you mean by fair in regards to the lgl.

As it applies to characters its certainly not fair, but you said it wasnt this.

If you mean fairness as it applies to the player, a rule that is applied to all players is indeed fair as it fits the definition of being impartial.

If you mean fair as it applies to the community and/or its rules (aka what we've deemed to qualify as victory), the term becomes subjective and the point weak. If that were the case Id simply say the lgl is just another way to measure victory, just like when the timer was added, and suddenly the rule is fair. It fits well with the ideology we use to create rules to boot.

Im not sure what else it can be applied, but Im thinking you might mean something other than fair. Some clarity would be appreciated.
It's written clear as day in that post.

It's unfair because the rule doesn't properly measure what we want to limit. You can't measure if planking occurred or not, nor can you measure how long the planking continued for, neither in seconds or in frames. That means you can't measure how much stalling occurred.

If someone gets disqualified because they surpassed the LGL, who is to say that they planked in a (non-)broken way? Even if they did, who is to say that they planked for an illegal amount of time? LGLs can't measure time buddy. Speaking of, how much time IS too much time anyways? Have the LGLs been fairly modeled to each individual character's planking abilities?

You of all people should know that we shouldn't take data too seriously if it's inaccurate. In fact, knowing you, you would discredit any interpretations if they were based on sketchy data. It's what you do to John#'s charts, and it's what you apparently are not seeing here. LGLs measure edge grabs. LGLs don't accurately measure planking or stalling, so why should we base disqualifications over them? Making a claim that someone stalled for too long because they passed the LGL would be a claim based on inaccurate data. Someone could unfairly get disqualified because they planked for "too much time", when in reality, they could've only been planking for 20 seconds. Would you really disqualify someone for stalling for 20 seconds, or would you see that as unfair?

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
A case where somebody banned a character over a tactic? I'm sure that somebody else could give you a better answer because I'm not familiar with other fighting games at all, but wasn't Akuma banned because his aerial fireballs were too much for the game to handle? Instead of banning his fireballs (which they most likely could), they simply banned the character. Things like this don't happen in our community because we do things so much differently than other communities do.

I don't see the case you're trying to make.

It's unfair because the rule doesn't properly measure what we want to limit. You can't measure if planking occurred or not, nor can you measure how long the planking continued for, neither in seconds or in frames. That means you can't measure how much stalling occurred.

If someone gets disqualified because they surpassed the LGL, who is to say that they planked in a (non-)broken way? Even if they did, who is to say that they planked for an illegal amount of time? LGLs can't measure time buddy. Speaking of, how much time IS too much time anyways? Have the LGLs been fairly modeled to each individual character's planking abilities?

You of all people should know that we shouldn't take data too seriously if it's inaccurate. In fact, knowing you, you would discredit any interpretations if they were based on sketchy data. It's what you do to John#'s charts, and it's what you apparently are not seeing here. LGLs measure edge grabs. LGLs don't accurately measure planking or stalling, so why should we base disqualifications over them? Making a claim that someone stalled for too long because they passed the LGL would be a claim based on inaccurate data. Someone could unfairly get disqualified because they planked for "too much time", when in reality, they could've only been planking for 20 seconds. Would you really disqualify someone for stalling for 20 seconds, or would you see that as unfair?
Please read my above post. This is for constructive rulsesets. NOT for arguing mks legality.

Second all that BCP was saying was even in brawl we have banned tactics before banning the character. If IC or DDD cg someone beyond 300% they are in vialtion of stalling. And because of this chaingrabbing beyong 300% is banned. I used to main IC and I would practice sometimes by bringing characters to about 800% with just chaingrabs. It is a very viable stalling strategy. If the opponent doesn't mash like reflex, you can slow down and take a few minutes to reach 800%. If your even better you could just stay at 999% for a couple minutes before taking the stock off. DDD might even have an easier time, since I don't believe his chaingrabbing timing doesn't change. This is banned because it is too powerful of a stall technique. That's all BCP was saying. Im not arguing with you twinkie. I am just explaining.

Also arguments at the mk legality should be moved to the mk banned thread. NOT here. Thank you

I'll respect that, Sorto.

My point is that regardless of having an MK legal ruleset or not, an LGL cannot be part of the rules. It has nothing to do with MK, it has nothing to do with balance, it simply has to do with the functionality of the rule itself.

My point for BPC (or for everyone actually) was that if a character needs rules to stay legal, that means that his original form crossed the boundaries of acceptable, and thus, questioning his legality would be in order. You said you didn't want talk of legality, so I won't pursue this point. However, I could explain why the 300% rule differs from the LGL/IDC if you permit me, and if BPC wants to hear it.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
I'll respect that, Sorto.

My point is that regardless of having an MK legal ruleset or not, an LGL cannot be part of the rules. It has nothing to do with MK, it has nothing to do with balance, it simply has to do with the functionality of the rule itself.

My point for BPC (or for everyone actually) was that if a character needs rules to stay legal, that means that his original form crossed the boundaries of acceptable, and thus, questioning his legality would be in order. You said you didn't want talk of legality, so I won't pursue this point. However, I could explain why the 300% rule differs from the LGL/IDC if you permit me, and if BPC wants to hear it.
Thank you.

And I prefer you bring it to the ban thread if possible.

Second would you be for a LGL that was MK only? In this scenario I equivicate it to a the jiggly rising pound or peach bomber stall from melee. As a community they were accepted as stall tactics and the actions that caused them became banned. Assuming as a ruleset committee, we agreed that planking with MK was stalling, would you be for an MK only planking/LGL rule?

I am not saying that is the route we would take. But moreso, what are your feelings on that kind of LGL?

Whether it's MK only or global, or whether it's MK banned or legal, my feelings are that the LGL should not be used in any form. My big post that I linked to Cassio and my posts in this thread should tell you why I think like that.

Although my preference is to ban the character, in here, we're forced to have him legal. What I think should be done then is one of the following:

1. Add stages. IMO there are some stages that should've been legal regardless, but w/e.
2. Do nothing. This would be the approach for people who think that planking isn't broken. If it's not broken or "too good", no reason to take action against it, right?

NNID
Budget_Player
1. I disagree. Why? Because this is smash. Because the number of characters who need additional rules to not be ****ing ******** is fairly high between 64 and Brawl. 64 Pikachu's ledge stalling, Peach Bomber stalling, Rising Pound stall, Jiggs planking in melee, Sheik vanish ledgestalling, Wobble stall, confusion lock IIRC, sonic homing stall, IDC, infinite chaingrab locks... The list goes on and on. Assuming we go from the idea that "if a character needs rules to stay legal, he should be banned", then there's a lot of banning that should happen.

2. Knock yourself out; I'd love to hear it.

3. I agree; two of MK's worst stages (Pirate Ship and YI(M)) are banned with between no and very lousy reasoning. A third stage (Japes) is absolutely horrendous in quite a few matchups (like, say, Falco and ZSS) and not really banned with solid reasoning behind it.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Neither does peach bomber or sheiks shino stalling, puffs rising pound, pikas ledge stalling. Wobble stalling is understandable but that falls under stalling rather than a character specific rule

Cassio

Smash Master
BPC I agree with you about the stages. Essentially we banned MKs worst stages and then stopped banning stages just before we removed MK's best CPs. Like I said, MKs best ruleset, lol.

And yeah I think most of those dont work, I believe pikas stalling in 64 does though.

I see now, it was difficult because you used 'fair' in several different contexts. I could go through the post and touch on everything you brought up/nitpick minor inconsistencies, but I hit on them generally in my last post preemptively(and unintentionally) and won't elaborate unless you would like me to or if you bring them up again. Ill respond to your main point for now. It also received a general response in my last post but Ill elaborate.

Essentially youre appealing to fairness as it applies to the community, therefore your entire argument is subjective. But first a note, an lgl doesnt need to prevent planking or even frown on it, it only needs to prevent game degeneration and over-centralization of planking.

On to the discussion. You claim an lgl unfairly disqualifies people from conditions we wish to measure, but I could easily turn this around and say the lgl simply institutes another condition for victory. Whether people were grabbing the ledge to plank or recover is irrelevant, and in its own odd way adds strategy in regards to the ledge.

In fact, this interpretation is even more accurate than yours as my interpretation actually has precedence.

Consider the timer. A timer was added when items were removed out of a theoretical fear that the game would degenerate to people never approaching and a practical fear that tournaments would end too late, via camping and stalling. As a result an arbitrary criteria for victory by percent via timeout was added. This didnt punish people from camping or stalling, but it did alleviate the concerns that existed for the community. Additionally people who lose via timeout are not considered to have been disqualified.

In conclusion I quote myself. An lgl is consistent and necessary with the ideology our ruleset has adopted.

However I do lend that an ideology can be adopted where the lgl is BS, but that belief only makes sense in a ruleset catered to such an ideology and becomes trash in an opposing ideology (i.e. the one our ruleset is predominantly based on now).

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
50 LGL and take away five ledge grabs for each additional mid air jump a character has

Tesh

Smash Hero
^ how does that even make sense? The top plankers are Metaknight (5 jumps), Pit (3 jumps) THEN its GnW (1 jump), Marth (1 jump), Pikachu (1 jump).

What about pokemon trainer? Can squirtle grab the ledge 50 times?

Judo777

Smash Master
^ how does that even make sense? The top plankers are Metaknight (5 jumps), Pit (3 jumps) THEN its GnW (1 jump), Marth (1 jump), Pikachu (1 jump).

Haha my thoughts exactly thank you tesh.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master

MK has four extra mid air jumps. 4x5=20 wich means he would get 20 less ledge grabs than someone who only has one mid air jump. For the pokemon trainer, just use the LGL for the Character they chose first

Tesh

Smash Hero
Thats....so dumb. Why have such a silly justification when you CLEARLY just want MK to have a lower LGL. Charizard, Kirby and DDD definitely don't need a lower LGL. While people might argue Marth and GnW DO. SO why have such a pointless rule?

Also, if charizard had abusable stalling potential, I would just start with ivy, switch right away and then plank with my "derp 5 extra" ledge grabs.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Thats....so dumb. Why have such a silly justification when you CLEARLY just want MK to have a lower LGL. Charizard, Kirby and DDD definitely don't need a lower LGL. While people might argue Marth and GnW DO. SO why have such a pointless rule?

Also, if charizard had abusable stalling potential, I would just start with ivy, switch right away and then plank with my "derp 5 extra" ledge grabs.
It's almost impossible to have a character specific LGL just like it's almost impossible to have character specific stages. Characters with multiple jumps may not have the best planking game, but they can stall for time by using up there multiple jumps and still not come close to going over the current LGL of 50.

It's just an idea I'm throwing out there and it is easily enforcable. Anyone that knows basic math can figure out there own character's LGL

Ghostbone

Smash Master
If the point is to give them a lower LGL as they can stall between ledge grab limits for longer, shouldn't you also adjust it based on things such as Peach's float, Lucario's dair, Fox's shine, etc.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
If the point is to give them a lower LGL as they can stall between ledge grab limits for longer, shouldn't you also adjust it based on things such as Peach's float, Lucario's dair, Fox's shine, etc.
Can you find a way to add that to the rule and still make it easily enforceable?

Tesh

Smash Hero
You should also adjust it based on how floaty each character is and the height of their double jumps. Also the distance and disjoint covered by their up Bs.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
1. I disagree. Why? Because this is smash. Because the number of characters who need additional rules to not be ****ing ******** is fairly high between 64 and Brawl. 64 Pikachu's ledge stalling, Peach Bomber stalling, Rising Pound stall, Jiggs planking in melee, Sheik vanish ledgestalling, Wobble stall, confusion lock IIRC, sonic homing stall, IDC, infinite chaingrab locks... The list goes on and on. Assuming we go from the idea that "if a character needs rules to stay legal, he should be banned", then there's a lot of banning that should happen.

2. Knock yourself out; I'd love to hear it.

3. I agree; two of MK's worst stages (Pirate Ship and YI(M)) are banned with between no and very lousy reasoning. A third stage (Japes) is absolutely horrendous in quite a few matchups (like, say, Falco and ZSS) and not really banned with solid reasoning behind it.

To #1- Have never seen any of those rules actually being enforced in 64 or Melee, maybe wobbling, but even that one is stupid since it's just marginally easier than actually chaingrabbing.
Sonic's HA stall isn't even mentioned in the URC ruleset anymore since it's that bad.

In fact, when has any of these stalling rules actually been used aside from the IDC one???
All these forms of "stalling" actually damage an opponent (aside from Sonic's horrible HA stalling, which just gets him murdered), so using them to stall is downright unsportsmanlike since you can just as easily take the win earlier.

IDC is banned for the sole reason the only REAL purpose it serves is to stall. People frown upon stalling with grabs and infinites, but the reason for this is that they're just making it out of a badwilled desire of running the clock unnecesarrily, when they could kill them with the same ease. Someone using IDC isn't able to easily kill anyone out of it.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Can you find a way to add that to the rule and still make it easily enforceable?
Well, have MK as the base, he'll have a LGL of 35 we'll say. Measure the maximum amount of time he can spend between ledge grabs, (let's pretend it's 3.5 seconds) and add an extra half a second to account for the time on the ledge. (so 4 seconds now)
Now compare other characters to that, except ignore aspects that they must land back on stage for. (ie. Ignore extra float time from Peach, as she doesn't regain it when grabbing the ledge, also ignore ROB's up-b, aside from using it to instantly sweetspot the ledge, I think you'd also ignore Luigi's down-b).
We'll also ignore Ike's up-b, as he can't grab the ledge with it for more than 5 times (maybe he can't grab it on the 5th time, idk) so he can't stall with that for long, for him measure how long he can stall using counter and DJ to side-b I guess.

So for an example, let's imagine Wolf can stall for 0.7 seconds, add an extra half a second, and you get 1.2 seconds. 4/1.2 = 3.3..., 3.3... * 35 = 116.6... rounded up to 117, giving Wolf a LGL of 117.
Obviously that's not the exact value, i have no idea what the maximum amount of time Wolf could stall for is, but meh, you get the idea.
Pokemon Trainer would get the lowest LGL of the 3 pokemon.

This is the only way that I can think of to really be objective about it, though it's still quite silly.

IDC is banned for the sole reason the only REAL purpose it serves is to stall. People frown upon stalling with grabs and infinites, but the reason for this is that they're just making it out of a badwilled desire of running the clock unnecesarrily, when they could kill them with the same ease. Someone using IDC isn't able to easily kill anyone out of it.
IDC is also a broken approach, so you know.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
Well, have MK as the base, he'll have a LGL of 35 we'll say. Measure the maximum amount of time he can spend between ledge grabs, (let's pretend it's 3.5 seconds) and add an extra half a second to account for the time on the ledge. (so 4 seconds now)
Now compare other characters to that, except ignore aspects that they must land back on stage for. (ie. Ignore extra float time from Peach, as she doesn't regain it when grabbing the ledge, also ignore ROB's up-b, aside from using it to instantly sweetspot the ledge, I think you'd also ignore Luigi's down-b).
We'll also ignore Ike's up-b, as he can't grab the ledge with it for more than 5 times (maybe he can't grab it on the 5th time, idk) so he can't stall with that for long, for him measure how long he can stall using counter and DJ to side-b I guess.

So for an example, let's imagine Wolf can stall for 0.7 seconds, add an extra half a second, and you get 1.2 seconds. 4/1.2 = 3.3..., 3.3... * 35 = 116.6... rounded up to 117, giving Wolf a LGL of 117.
Obviously that's not the exact value, i have no idea what the maximum amount of time Wolf could stall for is, but meh, you get the idea.
Pokemon Trainer would get the lowest LGL of the 3 pokemon.

This is the only way that I can think of to really be objective about it, though it's still quite silly.
Well at least it's a lot less silly than what we have now XD

And an 117 LGL for Wolf doesn't sound unfair at all lol

Top Bottom