• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

GreenFox

Smash Ace
There earlier stuff was Melodic death metal but they went a more progressive route on the latest stuff, Yeah I think its about new order they got some other songs that sound like that so.. I dont really know much about them because I cant find much on the internet :(

About Protest the Hero they are my favorite band of all time so I cant wait until the next album

Edit:Also... I'm not really into Metalcore much but I like this band
Why do all metalcore sing about is cutting their wrist and how sucky there life is?

Edit:Autumn offering:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGs1zQIE_WY

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Metalcore is a pretty broad genre and tons of different bands fit under that label. BTBAM (progressive metalcore), The Human Abstract (neo-classical metalcore), The Faceless (tech metalcore), HORSE the band (experimental electronic metalcore/nintendocore), IWRESTLEDABEARONCE (avant-garde metalcore), August Burns Red and Veil of Maya (plain ol metalcore)...and, well, just tons of modern bands are metalcore.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
None of those bands you posted are metalcore besides August Burns Red Imo..

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Sorry, but they are. -core mostly means that there is an emphasis on breakdowns in addition to other techniques. BTBAM is more prog nowadays but listen to their first three albums. The Human Abstract is the same story. HORSE is metalcore, as in they have tons of breakdowns, they're just based around gameboy samples and synths. IWABO plays like 40 different genres in one song, but the way they tie them together is with their metalcore sound.

edit: none of those bands are JUST metalcore. I was just pointing out that metalcore is very pervasive these days.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Just because they have some elements of metalcore doesnt make them metalcore

Influences doesnt equal genre I do agree with August burns red and The Human Abstract though

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Not Veil of Maya? Veil of Maya is about as generic metalcore as you can get. And, early BTBAM is metalcore. It just is. In fact, all of those bands are more metalcore than any other genre (except HORSE and new BTBAM).

But this is a stupid argument anyways. Genres are dumb.

in other news:

did you know HORSE went on a 40-country, self funded, self promoted, self managed, self booked earth tour? They made zero dollars. In fact they lost money. They are the only band besides Cannibal Corpse to have played in the country of Belarus. Now, they are going on an African tour. they are my favorite people.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
I haven't really listened to early BTBAM I just always though of them as Progressive Death Metal, and Horse as Nintendocore

I know what metalcore is but it seems with each metal genre everybody has their different interpretation of what each one is...I've talked genres with a lot of people and everyone says something different anyway your right it doesn't matter

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Yes. Nintendocore is indeed a portmanteau of "nintendo" and "metalcore" ;D .

And holy ****, I want to go to this show so bad on the 23rd

Dillinger Escape Plan
Animals as Leaders
Iwrestledabearonce
Darkest Hour

I love all of these bands a lot. Darkest Hour isn't as cool as they were when they had Kris Norris, but it'd still be fun to see them. I've seen Animals and IWABO before (IWABO puts on a hell of a show even if you're not into their music), and DEP is of course legendary.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
Skeletonwitch was in Wilmington last month, but I didn't get to stick around long enough to see them.

X1-12

Smash Champion
Guess what it still ends in. Yeah, 'core.'
I could go on and on about how none of the [x]core bands are real metal at all, but if we excluded them, this thread wouldn't get any posts.
isn't [x]core just [x]genre + screams?

I'd be up for talking about real metal?

X1-12

Smash Champion
Like Bloodbath, Lamb Of God, Devildriver, Amon Amarth, Slayer, Kataklysm, Machine Head?

I'd be up for some of that.
I was thinking more like Arch enemy, Slipknot, Maiden? something like that? maybe some System of a Down or Nightwish......

Man Nightwish rock

EDIT: actually Amon Amarth are pretty awesome, I've got their most recent album its pretty solid

gm jack

Smash Lord
Right, just to clear it up, -core means to music is of a style with its roots in hardcore punk. Metalcore is simply it mixed with metal.

@Luigitoilet

Yes, Death and Cynic do indeed kick as, though I tend to prefer the Traced in Air stuff from Cynic to Focus. Also, Cynic are releasing Retraced soon, which has got 4 of the TiA songs completely redone (not any of this remastered stuff, the Youtube demos make them have only fleeting resemblance to the original recordings of the songs) as well as a new song. Get hype?

On nu-metal, I would be tempted to leave it separate from "true" metal, as it is fairly distinct musically, but it just seems to lack something which other metal bands have. For example, SOAD are fairly awesome, but it just doesn't have as much power as thrash or death metal behind it, despite a fairly heavy sound.

Off the top of my head, the main "true" metal genres would be:

NWOBHM, progressive, industrial, speed, power, thrash, death, black, doom, grind, and probably a few more. Note that this would consist of a lot of overlap.

X1-12

Smash Champion

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
'Alternative metal' and nu metal seem to be pretty interchangeable. And gm jack is right, metalcore has most of its influence from hardcore punk, which is why it isn't metal and has a very different feel.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Droogies, I've never listen to Dream Theater and since I'm going to see them on tour with Iron Maiden, I'd like to listen to them by your recommendations so that when they play, I wouldn't have a "who are they" look on my face.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
lol, listening to Devin Townsend isn't going to help him since he's going to see Dream Theater.

I'm not a huge fan of them either, the vocals really kill it for me and they haven't had a good album in the past couple years. Some good albums of theirs are Octavarium, Metropolis Pt 2., and A Change of Seasons.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
he wasnt asking me what to listen to I was just pointing out Devil Townsend is very similar but way better

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
@Lash: that song reminded me of Static-X

Also, as far as Dream Theater goes, I've always thought Octavarium > Images & Words > Six Degrees > everything else.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I'm not a huge fan of them either, the vocals really kill it for me and they haven't had a good album in the past couple years. Some good albums of theirs are Octavarium, Metropolis Pt 2., and A Change of Seasons.
Also, as far as Dream Theater goes, I've always thought Octavarium > Images & Words > Six Degrees > everything else.
So far, it seems Octavarium is at the top for 2 people, I'll go look for songs from that album, thanks droogies.

And since we are all posting videos, here's mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-oHih0puPU&feature=related

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman
@Xianglian would this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-SpNRR8FZk be considered Japanese trash metal?
Thank you for linking me to my favorite band, but one of their worst songs :)

Is this thrash? Not at all, Maximum the Hormone's sound is actually the furthest from thrash. The ending could be considered a slight nod to thrash.

Here is awesomeness in your face, this song is about DBZ, and it has subs
[F] - Maximum the Hormone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anw6b4Eo6ww
EPICK!!!

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
@Xianglian that song was awsum. I don't know much about distinguishing bands and songs. But i think i am rly going to like thrash metal songs nao lol.

btw, HAY! i like What's up People :mad: :mad:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
For Octavarium, make sure to check out the title track. It's beyond amazing.

Also, Prometheus, if you like that Rata Blanca song, you should definitely check out some Stratovarius: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSitDIEvkiU.
I'll be sure to check Octavarium out.

I love Rata Blanca, I got to see them about 2 years ago along with Mago de Oz and some other bands.
Wow, thanks for the Stratovarius link droogie, I really liked that song. I should post here more often >.>

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Totally out of left field but The Number 12 Looks Like You's last album "Worse than Alone" is ****ing awesome and amazing. I'm not even a big No.12 fan but I'm already obsessed with this album.

gm jack

Smash Lord
I'm not a fan of Octavarium. Metropolis Part II, Images and Words, Black Clouds and Silver Linings and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence are where it's at.

I've seen both DT and Maiden live. It'll be an awesome gig.

gm jack

Smash Lord
I am fully aware of this. However, black metal hits its peak in the early 90's in the Norwegian black metal scene, and those were the bands leading the way.

Top Bottom