• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
People make me cry when they say they're 80s thrash fans but don't mention Dark Angel at all.
No other band at the time even came close to the purity or speed of Darkness Descends. When every big name band (going by the "Big Four" media crap that wasn't true in the least) was leaning towards melodic tendencies, Dark Angel took thrash to its core. Pure speed, and almost no studio crap, minus a swell of guitar noise at the beginning of the album.

Dark Angel is fast, but they have their fast and slow parts like every other band. Except for Dark Angel, their slow parts are fast, and their fast parts are 'too fast, my ***.'
Who the hell else can hit 286bpm, or play well over 200bpm for 8 minutes straight?

Morbid Saint's Spectrum of Death is also another highlight of thrash, and like Dark Angel, will always be heralded as one of the best. They leaned towards a darker take on thrash, but were still amazing. Hell, despite how much I just raved about Dark Angel, these guys might be better. On the same level of amazing, at least.

Listen to both albums. Dark Angel's 286bpm song is Burning of Sodom. Look for downloads if you don't want **** quality; I couldn't find decent stuff online any where. Though the highest Dark Angel download I could find was 192kbps. Buy the albums for the real quality.

Now that I'm done with that, some other mentions:

Skeletonwitch: Fantastic mix of thrash aesthetic and melodic guitar work. They aren't imaginative at all as far as lyrics go, but it doesn't affect the quality in the slightest. Beyond the Permafrost is a fantastic album; it may seem to be all over the place, but Skeletonwitch know exactly what they're doing.

Destroyer 666: Destroyer may have a cliche name, but their music in no way reflects that. Their music can be described as a mix of thrash and black metal, with some death influence, but honestly, summing it up with genres downplays its quality. Instead, I'll simply say that they're one of the most talented metal bands out there who play the sickest extreme metal out there. The musicians aren't just technical, which seems to be all the focus with a lot of bands today; they're very skilled at creating their tense, foreboding, nihilistic atmosphere, with tight drumming, moody guitar, amazing leads (that aren't overplayed) and the best metal vocals I've heard to date.

Unchain the Wolves, Phoenix Rising and Cold Steel. . . for an Iron Age are all fantastic albums. The first has a darker, thrashier feel, while Phoenix Rising has fantastic, complex composition. On Cold Steel, however, D666 goes all out, with fierce aggression and atmosphere, tuning down the melodic-death-style complexity of the previous album to achieve pure assault. (I've yet to listen to their newest one.)

For an intro, I recommend giving Phoenix Rising a listen, as it's by far my favorite (though all three are fantastic). Listen to the other two if they spark your interest as well.

Agalloch: This band is hardly metal at all, but I feel obliged to mention them in this thread, as their music is just sublime. They're basically an atmospheric band with black metal and post rock influence, to sum it up as simply as I can. Agalloch are masters of atmosphere, however, creating album-long epics that are captivating and entrancing. It's the most beautiful music I've ever heard, and they're a band I recommend to everybody, regardless of their musical tastes.

They've released three albums since 1999, and each one is fantastic. I recommend the Mantle for an introduction to their music. Listen to it with a pair of headphones, and make sure to give the entire album a listen from the beginning, as this is a band that does not express itself through a single song. I'm not going to write near as much for this band, though, because I truly think their music speaks for itself. I've had the album for around two years now, and I still listen to it regularly; it seems to improve the more one listens to it.

Other mentions:

Krallice: a very experimental black metal sound, hardly fitting within the normal definition of the genre, but fantastic nonetheless.

Mors Principium Est: Solid melodic death, with progressive influence, especially on their album The Unborn (which is the one I recommend the most).

Dragonlord: Pretty legit USBM, can't say much more as I haven't listened to them enough, but give them a try; Black Wings of Destiny is the album I have at the moment.

Alestorm: The only pirate metal band that has actually acheived what their name suggests. Their music is epic as hell, though it's more for fun than to be taken seriously; great for parties and such. The musicians are not lacking in quality, however. Check out Captain Morgan's Revenge as an example. There may not have actually been Scottish pirates, but these Scots would sure as hell be fine candidates.
(The technical skill of the musicians is obviously not the focus of the music at all here, but if you want a taste of it, pay attention to the drum fill at the beginning of the album's title track).

Between the Buried and Me: The only progressive, [x]-core band that I really, really enjoy.

Machinae Supremacy: Awesome power metal. They use the Commodore 64 sound chip, too, which makes them even more win. Redeemer's the album I've listened to, but I've heard good things about the others as well.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
Because it adds to the "br00tality " of it all, what I don't get is bands that growl/scream for the entire song. I like some WORDS in my metal thank you much :)
Growling is a type of expression. It often fits music a lot better than clean singing. Think of it as distorted vocals, just like heavy metal is distorted music.
Growling can be a little hard to bear if you've been introduced to it by a band that does it badly, though. When growling is done right, it isn't the focus of the song; the music itself is. Often -core bands will forget this, and that's one reason I don't tend to like them. My first introduction to growled vocals was As I Lay Dying. Overkill.

Listen to any melodic death if you want a style of metal with growling that's easier to get into. I suggest Ensiferum's Iron album (listen to the song Iron if you want an example of it). Carcass's Heartwork is another good melodeath album.

If you want a real example of a band that sounds much better because they growl, though, listen to Agalloch. John Haughm's soft growl fits the music much more than his clean vocals do (though he does have a beautiful voice, and he combines it with whispering as well, so it's easier to handle if you still don't like it). Agalloch is the band that showed me that music can be fantastic no matter what the vocals are like, and to give the music itself more attention than the vocals, no matter how intimidating they might sound. That's what helped me get into extreme metal, although Agalloch is more post-rock than anything.

Give it a try. Read what I wrote about Agalloch in my previous post.

Oh, and though the vocals might sound different, it doesn't mean they aren't saying anything. In fact, many metal bands have intelligent lyrics. Don't be afraid to look them up. For example, listen to the track 'Heartwork' here, and follow the lyrics here. (I'd use youtube, but the only upload of the song is awful quality. And last.fm doesn't have the full track.)

I don't get the obsession with speed a lot of metal acts have.
Aggression is an important factor of a lot of metal bands, and speed is a good way to acheive that. It's all really testosterone-fueled. Not all bands focus on speed, though, even if it may seem like that to one who isn't used to the music. Nor are they all aggressive. What may seem fast to you isn't necessarily fast in the world of heavy metal.
The only bands that focus on speed are the real thrash bands, and there aren't too many of those around any more. 200 bpm is fast in heavy metal, to throw a number out there. So that would be 'Reign in Blood' level. Then there's Dark Angel. >w>

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Aggression is an important factor of a lot of metal bands, and speed is a good way to acheive that. It's all really testosterone-fueled. Not all bands focus on speed, though, even if it may seem like that to one who isn't used to the music. Nor are they all aggressive. What may seem fast to you isn't necessarily fast in the world of heavy metal.
The only bands that focus on speed are the real thrash bands, and there aren't too many of those around any more. 200 bpm is fast in heavy metal, to throw a number out there. So that would be 'Reign in Blood' level. Then there's Dark Angel. >w>
First of all let me say that I like you, you're cool.

And also, I don't mean to say that I dislike fast tempos. But an entire track in 180-220 BPM is overkill for me.

then again it bugs me when songs don't switch tempos and time signatures enough, hahaha

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
Yeah, I can understand that. What metal bands/genres do you like? Grindcore does a lot of quick tempo changes and such, though it's more to create a disorganized, chaotic feel. It's also one of the most extreme styles, though, so I doubt that's what you're looking for.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Well, I can dig almost any genre (nothing doom or stoner metal really though), but I usually listen more to post-hardcore or math/grindcore. Anything experimental or progressive, really. Some of my favorites are Between the Buried and Me, Cephalic Carnage, the instrumental aspect of The Human Abstract, Rolo Tomassi, HORSE the band, Dillinger.

I love power/fantasy metal as well. Blind Guardian is one of my favorite groups ever. Dragonforce is crap. In fact it was Dragonforce that was in my mind when I made that post about bands obsessed with speed.

On the other hand, I HATE groups like As Blood Runs Black, Winds of Plague, Bring Me The Horizon, etc. Completely generic, pandering crap.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
Btbam is legit.

And about Dragonforce, I think they're a parody of metal in general. I was told of a show that the guitarist came on where people were trying to show off their technique, and played really, really horribly, when he's supposed to be a god at guitar work. Among other things:

"That’s what it’s about. DragonForce really is just a parody of power metal bands from back in the day – they sing of epic conquests, wail unconditionally, and have more blistering guitar work than you can shake a stick it. Not to mention the outrageous tempos that they always play at. If you disagree with the fact that they don’t take themselves seriously, just go see them live. It’s a great show, and you can tell that it’s all a big joke for them (a routine they’re quite good at by now). I’m not saying this to subtract from their legitimacy, but only to point out their motives. That is the reason I can enjoy DragonForce."

from http://jordanmunson.wordpress.com/2008/08/23/ultra-beatdown-dragonforce-review/

I'm not a fan of them, either, but it makes sense to me. Of course, then there are those who legitimately like their music and think it's amazing, so who knows? First thing they'd have to do for me to like them is lose the awful repetition. Every single album sounds nigh identical. It's worse than Children of Bodom; at least they still have some appeal.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Death
Celtic Frost
Electric Wizard
Acid Bath
Chthonic
Emperor
Pantera
Bathory
Crypt of Kerberos
Mastodon

Probably top 10 as of right now.

I pretty much love anything with heavy bass distortion, but i'm not limited to it. Good to find another metal thread around here after the others that died off. The genres I probably listen to most though are death, black, thrash, stoner/sludge, and prog/avant garde.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
here's some bands

CHON is an amazing instrumental prog metal group. Their drummer was 13 years old and rocks face. They all rock hard. http://www.myspace.com/musicofchon

Estradasphere is only a fraction metal, but they are total prodigies. Any fans of Mr. Bungle or Secret Chiefs 3 might wanna check Estradasphere out. They mash dozens and dozens of genres together in a dizzying display of virtuosity. They're pretty fun. Here's their version of Chopin's Fantasy Impromptu. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQgv2IMJPRE&feature=channel

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Liquid Tension Experiment is awesome! tell me what ya think if you have or havent already heard them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEZC0ZJ1AW8

Also about HORSE the band I like them but it seems if they didnt have the nintendo sounds they wouldnt seem that good its just that makes them stick out.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
HORSE wouldn't be a band at all without the keyboard. You can't really say "they wouldn't be good without it", because, they DO have it. That's like saying "Pantera just wouldn't be very great if Dimebag Darrel wasn't their guitarist".

Also, their songwriting is leagues above the majority of metalcore/post-hardcore groups, and they are the epitome of "progressive" without being prog-rock. Only thing is most people think they are more of a joke or gimmick group when that's not true at all. It's clear they are very passionate about playing and making music.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
On another note, Powerglove is one of the few video game metal bands that actually do a good job. I prefer The OneUps' awesome funk/jazz covers usually.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
Wazzup ppls? i'm LashD094 and got a question. would Disturbed be considered metal? I've heard they are hard rock, melodic metal (whatever that means), rock, and just metal.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Disturbed is Nu-Metal. A subgenre that was mostly popular in the late 90s. Bands like Korn, Guano Apes, Linkin Park, etc

Disturbed is on the heavier side of that genre, but they are really not that heavy compared to most metal, especially modern metal.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
Disturbed is Nu-Metal. A subgenre that was mostly popular in the late 90s. Bands like Korn, Guano Apes, Linkin Park, etc

Disturbed is on the heavier side of that genre, but they are really not that heavy compared to most metal, especially modern metal.
U seem to know ur metal don't u? lol thanks a bundle. Personally i don't like those heavier kinds of metal and Disturbed is probably the darkest i'll go. I will say though that Disturbed is my all time fave band. <(^_^)b

GreenFox

Smash Ace
I don't like fantasy metal and I dont know what it is probally everybody going crazy over dragonforce went GH3 came out

GreenFox

Smash Ace
I know which is kinda made me just ignored that genre in general which is probally a bad thing

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
Metal: A Headbanger's Journey is a legit documentary for anybody interested in that sort of thing. It helped a lot with my senior project (10 page paper on metal's birth and how it evolved woo . . . and the most half-***** music I will probably ever record). Sam Dunn is legit.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
Metal: A Headbanger's Journey is a legit documentary for anybody interested in that sort of thing. It helped a lot with my senior project (10 page paper on metal's birth and how it evolved woo . . . and the most half-***** music I will probably ever record). Sam Dunn is legit.
Dude i saw that last week @ 2:00 in the morning. I really liked it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
There is no guitar in that band. The guitar-like sounds are actually basses with strange tunings/effects. It's crazy.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Blind Guardian - And Then There Was Silence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snwvpJ7DxyY the definition of "epic". and it's all about the illiad too. hahahaha. IMO, Blind Guardian is the king of fantasy/melodic metal.

the whole album A Night at the Opera is top notch. So is Nightfall on Middle Earth.
Win right here.

As for best opeth song, I'm torn between the night and the silent water, when and the baying of the hounds. And there's the moor, moonlapse vertigo, the twilight is my robe, Bleak...

There's a lot of good stuff there.

And another metal band without a guitar is Om. Just drums, bass and vocals (it's the rhythm section from Sleep).

If people want heavy, you really need to look for doom and stoner metal. Fast paced metal can be a bit frantic. A good Electric Wizard song is a leviathan crawling over the earth.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
I'm bumping this thread... don't want it to die

So I'm really getting into Coheed and Cambria but specifis the Apollo albums they are a really good band even though it reminds me of a modern rush and I'm probably not very original for saying that

Even though I don't fully understand the story thats being said I'm very interested I want to read claudios novel when it comes out

Also CHON is amazing :DD

Top Bottom