• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The (massively updated) List of Fox's AT's and Tricks

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Quick summary of why I bumped this thread. (Which will be deleted later.)

Ok, for those of you who remember this old thread (it's the one that's in the directory and marked as dead) you may remember that it sucked. Well a while ago, I decided to update, then I got carried away and pretty much, this is a completely different thread. It took me a few weeks of updating for an hour or so every now and then, but now I'm happy enough with it to bump it. This does not mean that it's done, it simply means that it's up to my standards.
So what has been updated?
Everything. I have added at least four times as many techs as there were before. I have structured, coloured and organised everything. I have added entirely new sections. I have added a Note: and a Stages: to all the techs (they only had a How to Perform: and an Effect: before XD). I've done tones of research and testing and bla bla bla, resulting in, as I have said, an entirely different and much better thread. This will all be deleted later as it has nothing to do with this thread. Please take no notice of the first few pages of posts, as they will have nothing to do with this new thread. So from here onwards, is the new thread.

Summary

This is a list of all of Fox's AT's and Tricks. I will update this thread every now and then until it's complete and whenever a new tech is discovered.

So if you think you've found something new, then this is the place to post it. I'll personally look into it, test it and if it all works out, add it to the list.

How can you help?
Well, if you notice that I've missed something, then please let me know and I'll update.
If you notice that any of the information is wrong, then please tell me and I'll fix it.
You could even just give me feedback. I'd like to hear what you think of it all. Or if you have a question about one of the techs, I'll do my best to answer it.

But yeah, this is what I've got so far. Stay tuned for more updates!

Index

FireFox AT's
Curved Firefox
The Flame Dash
Pyro Planning Techs
JC Up-B
Reversing Techs
Ledge Grab Cancel

Illusion AT's
Illusion Cancel
Illusion Scarring
Lag Cancelled Illusion Techs
Illusion Stalling

Laser AT's
SH Laser Techs
Reversal Techs

Shine/Reflector AT's
Reflect Cancel
Shine Stalling
Double Shine
Ledge Shine
Wall Shine/Infinite Shine
Shine Reversal Momentum Cancel

Ju-jitsu/Hand to Hand Combat AT's
Fair Techs
U-smash Techs
The Pivot Slide
Jab Techs
Dash Attack Techs
Locks

Grabbing AT's
Pivot Grab Techs
Boost Grab Techs
Shield Cancelled Sliding Grab

Other Character's Items AT's
Boost Tossing Techs
JC Throw
Invincibomb
Item Catching/Re-Catching Techs
F-smash while holding an Item

General AT's
Running/moving Techs
SHAD
RAR

AT Videos
Fox techs beta
Every Fox laser tech
Fox f-tilt-lock and n-air-lock/other Techs
SSBB Fox curved firefox

FireFox AT's

Curved Firefox
How to Perform: Begin a Firefox (Up-B), but instead of aiming it in any of the eight primary directions, position the joystick between Up and Up-Left or Up and Up-Right.
Effect: Fox will move Up-Left or Up-Right, but in an arc instead of a straight line.
Note: This can be very useful when recovering from under the lip of Final Destination. We've all been there; in that spot just under the lip where an Up-B that is directed straight up or diagonally won't make it. So keep this in mind.
Stages: All

The Flame Dash
Possibly the greatest name for an AT ever!
How to Perform: Begin a Firefox in the air horizontally in line with a steep slope. Aim the Firefox horizontally left or right towards the slope.
Effect: Fox will land on the slope and slide a long way.
Note: Although this move has become, somewhat, a legend because of how useless it is, (mostly because using Up-B on stage or for that matter, off stage as well, is never a good idea because of all the lag) This move does in fact have a pretty cool use. Putting aside how easily this can be punished, The Flame Dash has a very long slide which can be cancelled by any move. (It also adds 6 seconds of mental hitstun because of its awesomeness.) So I would see nothing wrong with pulling this out once every now and then just as long as your opponent isn't too close to you.
Stages: Delfino Plaza, Pirate Ship, Pokemon Stadium 2, Distant Planet, New Pork City, Summit, PictoChat, Hanenbow, Green Hill Zone, Temple, Yoshi's Island Melee, Onett, Corneria, Rainbow Ride and Big Blue.

Pyro Planing
How to Perform: Run towards the edge of a stage or platform, Use Up-B on the very edge just before you fall off.
Effect: Fox will run towards the edge, use Up-B at the very edge and glide off stage a decent way during the powering up animation.
Note: This can be used to gimp recoveries and edgehog (situational). If timed right, Fox will glide off stage about a third of the length of Final Destination.

Reverse Pyro Planing
How to Perform: Pretty much the same as Pyro Planing, Run towards the edge of a stage or platform, Use Up-B on the very edge just before you fall off then Instantly Hit Backwards.
Effect: Fox will run towards the edge, use Up-B at the very edge, reverse his momentum and the way he's facing then glide back towards the centre of the stage.
Note: If timed correctly, Fox will glide the same distance as Pyro Planing only he'll be going back the way he came from. This can be very useful as it is the longest distance that you can slide during the powering up animation on stage. So this means that you can use the Fire Fox offensively which is very good if it connects because it can do 26-28% when fresh.

JC Up-B
How to Perform: Hit Jump then Instantly Hit Up-B.
Effect: It can be used to slide slightly further along the ground.
Note: This is best used to allow you to use Up-B out of shield but it can also be used to slightly extend the slide that Fox gets if he uses an Up-B out of a Dash/Run. This can be used to make things like Pyro Planing easier to perform.

Up-B Reversal
Instead of writing four different AT's, I've decided to combine them into two. The Up-B Reversal and the Up-B SMS. They can be done in the air and while running so I'll just have two "How to Perform"s and two 'Effect's in each AT.
How to Perform in the Air: Jump either Forwards or Backwards, Hit Up-B then instantly Hit Backwards.
Effect in the Air: Fox will Jump, use his Up-B, slightly Reverse his momentum and turn around.
How to Perform while Running: Run in one direction, Hit Up-B then instantly Hit Backwards.
Effect while Running: Fox will Run in one direction, use his grounded Up-B, Reverse his momentum, turn around and slide a little.
Note: The Running Up-B Reversal will slide much further if used on a slippery stage like Summit or the winter part of Pokemon Stadium 2.

Up-B SMS
How to Perform in the Air: Jump either Forwards or Backwards, Hit Diagonally Up Backwards B then instantly Hit Forwards.
Effect in the Air: Fox will Jump, slightly Reverse his momentum then charge his aerial Up-B facing the same direction he started in.
How to Perform while Running: Tilt Run in any Direction, Hit Diagonally Up Backwards B then instantly Hit Forwards.
Effect while Running: Fox will Run in one direction, Reverse his momentum, use his grounded Up-B and slide a little Backwards.
Note: Very hard to do. You want to make sure you don't Illusion. The Running Up-B will slide much further if used on a slippery stage like Summit or the winter part of Pokemon Stadium 2.

Ledge Grab Cancel
How to Perform: When recovering hold Down as you pass the ledge.
Effect: Fox will not snap on to the ledge.
Note: This can be used when recovering with Firefox to catch edgeguarders of guard. They will be expecting you to latch onto the edge but by using this you will go right past the ledge and hit them.
Stages: All except, Mushroomy Kingdom, Mario Circuit, Rumble Falls, Summit, 75m, Mario Bros, Flat Zone 2 and Shadow Moses Island.

Illusion AT's

Illusion Cancel
How to Perform: Begin a Fox Illusion (Side B), then hit B again in the middle of the animation (just before you hear the high pitched sound).
Effect: Fox will cancel the Illusion part way through (depending on the timing).
Note: This is useful for recovering and fake outs. There are three different ways that you can cancel the Illusion. Instantly, in the middle and at the end and they all depend on your timing. If you cancel the Illusion it gives you better DI so you can float further towards stage if you're desperate. Of course you will be free falling, but still, something to think about.

Illusion Scarring
How to Perform: Run off the edge then quickly Hit Side-B back towards stage.
Effect: Fox will Illusion back towards stage but instead of snapping to the ledge or Illusioning to the centre of the stage, he will Instantly stand up at the edge.
Note: The timing is critical. If you hit Side-B too early then you'll end up in the centre of the stage as normal, too late and you'll Illusion into the ledge and grab it. You simply Illusion, then the next thing you know, you're standing near the edge facing the centre of the stage. Unfortunately, you receive a bit of lag even though you're just standing there, but it's still the ultimate fake out.
Stages: Battlefield, Final Destination, Delfino Plaza (Only on the part that has those green pillars), Luigi's Mansion, Bridge of Eldin, Pirate Ship, Norfair, Frigate Orpheon, Halberd (Only when your on the main ship), Pokemon Stadium 2, Spear Pillar, Castle Siege, WarioWare Inc, Smashville, New Pork City, Skyworld, Green Hill Zone, Temple, Jungle Japes, Green Greens and Pokemon Stadium.

Platform Illusion
How to Perform: Stand on a platform that has another platform opposite it (like on Battlefield) then use Side-B towards the other platform.
Effect: Fox will Illusion from one platform to the other.
Note: This tech cancels some of the lag at the end of Illusion so it's safer then usual.
Stages: Battlefield, Delfino Plaza, Mushroomy Kingdom, Rumble Falls, Bridge of Eldin, Norfair, Frigate Orpheon (It can be done from the platform that moves up and down on the right side when it's all the way up the top, just make sure you only go from right to left and not left to right. If you go left to right, you will die.), Pokemon Stadium 2, Spear Pillar (your timing has to be good), WarioWare Inc, 75 m, Mario Bros, Flat Zone 2, PictoChat, Hanenbow, Shadow Moses Island, Temple, Yoshi's Island Melee, Rainbow Ride, Green Greens, Brinstar (Can be done but it's risky) and Pokemon Stadium.

JC Illusion
How to Perform: Jump then quickly use Side-B.
Effect: Fox will Illusion across the stage just above the ground.
Note: This tech also cancels out some of the lag from Illusion so if you ever use Illusion on stage, make sure you do it like this.

Illusion Stalling
How to Perform: Hang on to the ledge, hit away from the ledge, Instantly double jump then Instantly Hit Side-B
Effect: Fox will hang on to the ledge then quickly let go and use Illusion into the ledge (he won't go anywhere) and re-grab the ledge.
Note: This can be used to trick your opponent into thinking you're going to Illusion on stage and can be repeated over and over again until he thinks you're just going to do another Illusion stall, only this time you use Illusion slightly later and return on stage safely.
Stages: All except Mushroomy Kingdom, Mario Circuit, Rumble Falls, Summit, 75m, Mario Bros, Flat Zone 2 and Shadow Moses Island.

Laser AT's

Short Hop Laser (SHL)
How to Perform: Do a short hop by tapping jump and letting go of Jump quickly then hit B at the exact moment when Fox's feet are directly above him (the timing works for SH forwards and backwards).
Effect: Fox will jump slightly then shoot a laser
Note: This a great way to use your laser because it allows you to move around a lot whilst shooting and you can also instantly use any move as soon as you land, so it's lagless. If used with perfect timing (the same timing that I explained earlier), you will do what is called a 'silent' laser, so called because it makes no noise when you shoot. So the main reason why you want to use the SHL is because it is the least punishable of the three variations.

SH Double Laser (SHDL)
How to Perform: Do a SH, Hit B just before the peak of your jump then Instantly Hit B again.
Effect: Fox will SH and shoot two lasers.
Note: This is arguably the preferred method of firing lasers as it still gives you time to move around a bit on the way up and it means that you're inflicting twice as much damage to your opponent then a normal SH laser. This tech, just like the SHL, is also lagless, meaning you can use any move instantly after landing. Make sure that when your performing this tech and the next, that you don't accidently fire an extra laser when you land or you'll receive the lag of a grounded laser and you could be punished.

SH Triple Laser (SHTL)
How to Perform: SH, Hit B as soon as you can, Instantly Hit B, Instantly Hit B.
Effect: Fox will SH and Fire three lasers.
Note: This is the most damaging of the three SH lasers but it's also the most punishable because you can't move around very much (if at all) when you do it. Like the other SH laser techniques, this is lagless. The third laser will automatically be a silent laser. I would use this tech when the opponent is too far away to punish you. As I said in the SHDL, make sure you don't accidently Hit B when you land or you'll receive the lag of a grounded laser.

B-Reversal
How to Perform: Jump either Backwards or Forwards, Hit B then Instantly Hit Backwards.
Effect (Jumping Forwards): Fox will Jump Forwards, Reverse his momentum and face the other way and shoot a laser.
Effect (Jumping Backwards): Fox will Jump Backwards, Reverse his momentum and face the other way and shoot a laser.
Note: This technique works better with other characters but it still has it's uses for Fox. Just make sure you don't use an Illusion off the edge by accident.

Running B-Reversal
How to Perform: This is similar to the B-Reversal except you don't jump. Simply run in one direction, make sure your joystick is in neutral, Hit B then Instantly Hit Backwards.
Effect: Fox will run in one direction, reverse his momentum and the way he's facing, slide and shoot a laser.
Note: This can be an effective tool to use once you've run away because of how quickly the laser comes out. Again, just make sure you don't suicide.

SMS Laser.
How to Perform: Jump Backwards or Forwards, Slightly tilt Backwards B, Instantly Hit Forwards.
Effect (Jumping Forwards): Fox will Jump Forwards, Reverse his momentum and stay facing the original direction and shoot a laser.
Effect (Jumping Backwards): Fox will Jump Backwards, Reverse his momentum and stay facing the original direction and shoot a laser.
Note: A very risky move for Fox because the chances of Illusioning are very high. However, if you choose to learn this, it can be a very effective way of shooting because of its spacing properties.

Shine/Reflector AT's

Reflect Cancel
How to Perform: As soon as you reflect anything with down-B, hit either jump, left, right or down.
Effect: As soon as the projectile hits your reflector you will either jump, roll left or right, or sidestep.
Note: This cancels out the lag from reflecting. So if you reflect something and your opponent follows up to punish you, then this move comes in handy.

Shine Stalling
How to Perform: Jump or get hit up into the air, hit Down-B, release B straight away then Hit Down-B again if you wish and repeat for as long as you want.
Effect: Fox will slowly fall and quickly put his reflector in and out.
Note: This is useful for making your opponent miss their attacks so you can follow up with a dair or whatever. When combined with Fox's fast falling abilities, this move is a great mind game.

Double Shine
How to Perform: Jump then Instantly Hit and Hold Down-B.
Effect: Fox will have two reflectors!
Note: This does nothing XD. It just looks cool. But yeah, the Jump cancelled Shine, or the Double Shine, can be used out of shield (OoS) and out of a Dash.

Ledge Shine
How to Perform: Hang on to the ledge, Jump (ledge jump) then Hit Down B pretty much straight away.
Effect: Fox will ledge jump and cancel it with his Shine just above the ground.
Note: This can be used as another relatively safe option to get up from the ledge.
Stages: All except Mushroomy Kingdom, Mario Circuit, Rumble Falls, Summit, 75m, Mario Bros, Flat Zone 2 and Shadow Moses Island.

Wall Shine/Infinite Shine
How to Perform: Get an opponent up against a wall, Hit them with Down-B (hold down), Instantly let go of B then Hit Down-B (just hit B because you should be holding down) over and over again at exactly half second intervals. So every half second (presuming you're holding down) hit B.
Effect: Fox will continuously shine his opponent without them being able to get out.
Note: This can be used up until killing percents (100-120%) and can be finished with an U-smash so it's a guaranteed killer. Don't be greedy! As soon as they are at killing percents, just finish it, otherwise you run a high risk of them getting out. Get this, the Wall shine can also be done against the walls on the side of stages like Yoshi's Island Brawl and Castle siege so you can shine them up against it and slowly fall down with them, continuously shining them until they die and then you can recover. Good stuffs.
Stages: Delfino Plaza, Mushroomy Kingdom, Rumble Falls, Pirate Ship, Frigate Orpheon, Yoshi's Island Brawl, Castle Siege, WarioWare Inc, Distant Planet, New Pork City, Summit, PictoChat, Shadow Moses Island, Green Hill Zone, Temple, Yoshi's Island Melee, Onett, Corneria, Rainbow Ride, Green Greens, Big Blue and Pokemon Stadium.

Shine Reversal Momentum Cancel
How to Perform: Get hit by an opponent, DI up, fast fall, U-air, Hit Down-B then Instantly Hit the joystick towards the death screen.
Effect: Fox will U-air, then cancel his momentum with a shine.
Note: At this point, you'll be facing backwards, so if you want to turn around again, simply turn around in the shine. Also, the timing for this can be tricky, if you're too slow with the Shine reversal, you can go gliding off screen.

Ju-jitsu/Hand to Hand Combat AT's

Rising Fair
How to Perform: Full hop or double Jump then Instantly use Fair.
Effect: Fox will rise higher than usual and fall slightly slower. The effect is most noticeable when used just after your second jump.
Note: This move is great for recovery because it not only lets you jump higher with your second jump, but it also covers your front side, so you can recover and attack at the same time to get rid of those pesky edgeguarders. But pretty much, this should be second nature to every Fox main because every little trick you know when recovering helps.

Hovering Fair/Helicopter Kicks
How to Perform: Similar to the Rising Fair. Short hop then Instantly use Fair.
Effect: Fox's vertical movement will stay neutral for a short period of time, during which you can hover forwards or backwards.
Note: You want to make sure that when you use this move, you Instantly use Fair after hitting jump. If you don't then you will receive lag at the end of the Helicopter kicks which can be punished. However, if performed correctly, you will receive no lag at the end. When combining the no lag with being able to hover backwards whilst using this, it makes it very hard to punish which means that this is arguably one of Fox's very few safe approaches. This is also a great damage racker and shield poker.

Jump Cancelled Up-smash
How to Perform: Jump then Instantly Hit Up-smash.
Effect: Fox will use U-smash. If used out of a run, Fox will slide slightly further and U-smash.
Note: This is useful if used out of a shield. Normally when you’re shielding you can't Up-smash, but you can jump. So if you're shielding an attack and your opponent is on higher percents then this is the move for you.

DACUS (Dash Attack Cancelled Up-smash)
How to Perform: Run in one direction, Hit Down on the C-stick then Instantly Hit Up-smash.
Effect: Similar to the running Jump Cancelled Up-smash, only Fox will slide slightly further still. But basically, Fox will run then Up-smash (you won't see the dash attack animation).
Note: It's pretty hard for Fox to pull this move off and when he does, the difference is slight, so you only really want to be learning this move in order to Boost Toss which is explained later on in this thread under Other Character's Items AT's

The Pivot Slide
How to Perform: Run in one direction, Pivot, let go of the joystick and hit A just as you start moving in the opposite direction.
Effect: Fox will Run, Pivot then come out of the pivot doing his jab attack while sliding.
Note: This can be done with all moves, not just the Jab (so you can do a sliding grab, tilt, smash or whatever). You can also slide Backwards and perform any move, to do this simply tilt hit backwards just after the pivot (so you turn around) then perform any move as usual. Doing this will result in you performing your move whilst sliding Backwards.

Jab Cancel
How to Perform: Hit A once or twice, Hit Down on the joystick, Follow up with any attack.
Effect: Fox will cancel his jabs allowing him to use any other move slightly quicker then normal.
Note: Normally if you hit A, A, Grab, Fox will continue with the A combination. But by doing the Jab Cancel it allows you to perform the move that you want after the A's/Jabs without delay. This is best used after Dair. Cancelling a single Jab isn't nearly as helpful as.....

JJC
How to Perform: Hit an opponent with A, hold A for a split second so Fox jabs twice, Instantly hold down, Let go of A after holding it for that split second and continue to hold down for half a second, Let go of Down then Instantly Hit and hold A....repeat.
Effect: Fox will Jab the opponent twice (moving slightly forwards with his second jab), pause for a split second, then jab them twice again...repeat.
Note: The JJC is the ultimate combo move because it links together Fox's moves and allows him to use combos that would otherwise be impossible. ROOKI3 has already written an entire thread full of useful and detailed information concerning the JJC here and there's no way that I could sum it up without taking up way too much space. So I would go there, if you haven't already, to get more information.

Instant Dash Attack
How to Perform: Initiate a Dash in one direction by Hitting left or right then Instantly Hit the C-stick Down.
Effect: Fox will instantly use his Dash attack.
Note: This can be used to perform your Dash Attack when standing right on the edge without falling off or obviously just to use a dash attack as quick as possible from a standing position.

F-tilt Lock
How to Perform: First of all, you need to set up the lock. To do this, you can footstool them when they are close to the ground then fast fall a Nair. Or you can hit a shielding opponent off a platform. Or you can trip your opponent with an attack. Or your opponent could simply miss a tech. Once any of these things happen, quickly Hit them with F-tilt then hold forwards so you walk towards them and then use F-tilt again. Repeat as long as you can (at low percents) then you can move to the harder version, the Nair Lock.
Effect: Fox will F-tilt the opponent across stage without them being able to get out.
Note: As I briefly went over, this will only work on lower percents and should be combined with the Nair lock before they start to get hit too far away. With all locks, once you let them get out or you stuff it up, they will have what is called a 'forced get up'. This simply means that they will have no control over their character simply standing up. So what do you do? Depending on their percent, you can U-smash them for the kill or Dair them and continue the combo. If you try to U-smash them, just make sure you do it at the right time. What I mean is, when they get up, they will have invincibility frames until just before they fully stand up and they can only shield or do anything after they have fully stood up. So you want to hit them just before they fully stand up and just after the invincibility frames.

Nair Lock
How to Perform: Read the F-tilt Lock for an explanation on how to set up a lock. Once any of those things happen, Instantly SH towards them, Instantly use Nair, Fast fall at the peak of your jump (you should already be using Nair) and land on top of them, repeat.
Effect: Fox will SH, Nair, hit them with the soft hit of Nair then continue using SH Nair on his opponent across the stage without them being able to get out.
Note: Read the F-tilt lock for more information on locks. You need to fast fall the Nair to make it work. The Nair lock can be used at low and high percents but is much harder to perform then the F-tilt lock. Fox's locks would be so much more useful if only we had a reliable way to set them up. But if you see the chance, don't hesitate because it could lose your opponent a stock.

Grabbing AT's

Pivot Grab
How to Perform: Run in any direction, quickly Hit Backwards and Grab at the same time.
Effect: Fox will run, turn around and grab then slide a long way backwards.
Note: This is sort of a taunt grab because you run straight through your opponent then Grab their other side. This isn't actually that hard to land and it looks really cool.

True Pivot Grab
How to Perform: Run in one direction, wait for a half second, Hit Backwards and Grab at the same time.
Effect: Fox will run, then turn around and grab.
Note: Not much to say about this. I prefer the Pivot Grab and the Reverse Boost Grab. Using the same technique you can do something called a True Pivot which is basically done the same way only you replace grab with any other attack.

Boost Grab
How to Perform: Run in one direction, Hit the C-stick down to do a dash attack, Instantly Hit grab.
Effect: Fox will run, grab and slide a little further forwards then normal.
Note: You don't have to hit C-down, as long as you perform a dash attack and grab straight away, so whatever works for you.

Reverse Boost Grab/Pivot Wave Grab
How to Perform: Run in one direction, dash attack then Instantly Hit Backwards and Grab at the same time.
Effect: Fox will run, turn around and grab and slide backwards a decent way slightly further then a Pivot Grab.
Note: This is debatably Fox's best grab because of the sliding distance, grab range, hard to punish and so on. It is in my opinion, one of Fox's sexiest moves.

Shield Cancelled Sliding Grab
How to Perform: Run, shield while running, hit A while shielding.
Effect: Fox will run, shield and slide, then grab.
Note: This should be used every time you want to do a normal Dash Grab because if you do a Shield Cancelled sliding Grab, it means that you have less cool down lag if you miss. So from now on, no more Dash Grab. This can be used as an approach if your expecting your opponent to try to hit you. You can either run, shield and hit A straight away to do a sliding grab or you can run, shield and slide then hit A when you want to grab.

Other Character's Items AT's
(Just because we don't have items, doesn't mean we can't use other characters items against them.)

Boost Toss Up Throw
How to Perform: Catch or pick up an opponents item, Run in one direction, Hit the C-stick Down then Instantly Charge Up-smash.
Effect: Fox will run in one direction, Slide Forwards and Throw the Item Upwards during the slide, then he will continue to slide a long way.
Note: This, like all of Fox's Boost Tosses, is really hard to perform. That's why it isn't the normal way to slide and throw items. The easiest and most accepted way is to JC Throw them, but even though the JC Throw is extremely easy to perform, the JC Throw doesn't get nearly as much slide, so it's up to you. But yeah, this is an excellent way to throw Items up at an opponent.

Boost Toss Forward Throw
How to Perform: Catch or pick up an opponents item, Run in one direction, Hit the C-stick Down, Instantly Hit Diagonally Forward Up-smash then Instantly move the joystick to Forwards.
Effect: Fox will run in one direction, Slide Forwards a long way and Throw the Item Forwards during the Slide.
Note: This is so hard to perform, it's stupid. But the effect is incredible. So again, like the Boost Toss Up Throw, it's up to you. The JC Throw is incredibly easy with a little slide and Boost Tossing is incredibly hard with a long slide.

Boost Toss Reversal
How to Perform: Catch or pick up an opponents item, Run in one direction, Hit the C-stick Down, Instantly Charge Diagonally Backwards Up-smash.
Effect: Fox will run in one direction, Slide Forwards, Throw the Item Backwards then continue to slide a long way Backwards.
Note: The hardest of all the Boost Tosses, but also the most incredible. If you can somehow master Fox's Boost Tosses, you will destroy any opponent that uses Items. I've told you how to perform them, but when it comes to actually doing them, using the word 'Instantly' when talking about how to perform them doesn't do it justice. As I've said, JC Throwing is much easier and has a small slide while Boost Tossing is stupid hard with a long slide.

JC Throw
How to Perform: Catch or pick up an opponents item, Run in one direction, Hit Jump then Instantly Hit the C-stick up, down, left or right.
Effect: Fox will slide a decent way and throw the item.
Note: This is the easiest way for Fox to slide and throw items so learn this. Fox actually has a really good JC throw compared to other characters, so this will really come in handy as our way of glide tossing.

Invincibomb
How to Perform: Catch one of Toon Link's or Link's Bombs, Jump, Use airdodge then Instantly Hit A (almost at the same time).
Effect: Fox will do an air dodge and Z-drop the bomb at the same time.
Note: This means that you can hit them with the bomb and avoid the blast and any other attacks at the same time. This little trick combined with Fox's great fast falling speed, is bad news for any Link. This can of course be done with any item, but the effect is most useful with a bomb.

ZAC
How to Perform: Catch or pick up an opponents item, Jump, Hit Z at the peak of your jump, then Instantly catch it with an aerial (Bair, Fair, Nair, Uair or Dair).
Effect: Fox will Jump, Z-drop the item then instantly catch it with an aerial.
Note: This allows you to use aerials while holding any item. This is good because it means you can follow up by throwing the item and continuing the combo.

IZAC
How to Perform: Catch or pick up an opponents item, Jump then Instantly Hit Z, let go of Z then Instantly catch the item with an aerial.
Effect: Similar to the ZAC, the only difference being that the IZAC comes out faster.
Note: This is super hard to pull off. But if you manage to perfect it, it is way more useful then a ZAC because it comes out instantly so your not just doing nothing on your way up.

Instant Item throw
How to Perform: Catch an Item by Hitting Airdodge, A and a direction (Up, Down, Left or Right) at the same time.
Effect: Fox will Instantly catch and throw the Item without the catching animation. So it's an Instant Item Throw.
Note: What's really happening is your catching the Bomb with an airdodge then you're instantly cancelling the airdodge with the throw. This move can also be done by catching an Item with Airdodge and C-stick; it all depends on what you prefer. You can do this move to a Item that has been thrown at you with good timing, or to an Item that is sitting on a platform above you by jumping then Hitting Airdodge+A+Direction, or to an Item that is sitting on the ground by jumping then instantly doing it. You can even do it to an Item that has been shielded or anything, just as long as you catch it with Airdodge+A+Direction or Airdodge+C-stick.
Stages: All.

F-smash while holding an Item
How to perform: Catch/pick up an opponents item and hold A, Hit the C-stick left or right.
Effect: Fox will perform his F-smash without throwing the item.
Note: If you continue to hold A after hitting the C-stick, Fox will charge his F-smash. To use the F-smash quickly simply let go of A as soon as you hit the C-stick. You can also hold A after Rolling, side stepping or any B move. In fact it works for pretty much anything that you can do while holding an item without throwing it (including pivot), then you hold A while Fox is still in the animation of the move and Hit C-stick left or right.

General AT's

Fox Trotting
How to Perform: Initiate a dash by hitting right or left, then do another one straight away without any running in between.
Effect: Fox will move across the stage in short quick bursts instead of running.
Note: This is better than a normal run because it gives you more options. Out of a Fox Trot you can Dash attack, True Pivot, Sliding Up-smash, Dash Dance, Dash Grab, Forward-smash, Pivot Grab and Boost Pivot Grab to name a few. The only downside to Fox Trotting is it makes the probability of tripping much higher, But I think it's worth the risk.

Pivot Walking
How to Perform: Hold A, Walk in one direction, Press the C-stick in a 45 degree Up and Backwards angle, continue pressing the C-stick in the same way at the right time.
Effect: Fox will move in one direction but he will be spinning.
Note: If you press the C-stick too far upwards Fox will dash, if you press it too far Backwards he will charge a F-smash in the opposite direction. The Pivot Walk can be used to confuse your opponents and can be finished with any move. The Pivot Walk can also be done manually with the Joystick, simply move the Joystick Forward and Diagonally Up/Backwards at the right time.

Dash Dancing
How to Perform: Hit Left, Right, Left, Right and so on really quickly.
Effect: Fox will Dash back and forth really quickly almost without moving.
Note: This can be used as a mindgame approach. Just be aware that Dash Dancing has a high probability of tripping

SHAD
How to Perform: Short Hop, Air Dodge.
Effect: Fox will short hop with invincibility frames from the airdodge.
Note: If you Air dodge and land during the invincibility frames, you can perform any move on the exact frame it becomes possible. This does not have to be done out of a short hop, but it's generally better if it is.

RAR (Reverse Aerial Rush)
How to Perform: Simply Run in one direction, Pivot then almost instantly Jump (Usually a SH).
Effect: Fox will Run in one direction then Jump Backwards in the original direction.
Note: This is one of those Techniques that you have to learn. Amongst other things, it can be used to approach using Bair's and to do a Dair cross up which just means landing on the other side of your opponent but still facing them which is good if they shield the Dair because it means they can't shield grab you.

AT Videos

Fox techs beta
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooG8vdcO71w
Summary: This video shows, in depth, a lot of the techs that Fox can perform. In order of appearance, the techs that are in this video that are also on the list are, Fox Trotting, Double Shine, JC Up-B, JC U-smash, True Pivot Grab, Pivot Grab, Boost Pivot Grab, RAR, Hovering Fair, Rising Fair, Instant Dash Attack, Ledge Shine, Wall Shine, JC Illusion, Illusion Stalling, Illusion Scarring, Illusion Cancel and Pyro Planning.
Note: This video also contains a lot of useful information that isn't on this list, so it's definitely well worth watching.

Every Fox laser tech
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsxVcPpKGuU
Summary: This video shows almost every one of Fox's laser techs. In order of appearance, the laser techs that are in this video that are also on the list are, SHL, SHDL, SHTL, Running B-reversal and B-reversal
Note: I recommend that you. guys check it out. There are things in this vid that aren't listed in this thread like using lasers on the edge.

Fox f-tilt-lock and n-air-lock/other Techs
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTy8Xq0h2Po&fmt=18
Summary: This video shows and explains the F-tilt and Nair Lock.
Note: There's not much point watching after 1:50.

SSBB Fox curved firefox
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgQ_G7X8cCk&fmt=18
Summary: This quick video demonstrates the Curved Firefox.

This list is still unfinished. If you could help me by mentioning anything that I've missed or any mistakes that I've made, then it would be much appreciated.
I will add more to it later. . .

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Thats completly different. This thread is aimed at finding new AT's and Tricks. That thread was made,
to address the the several techniques and styles to playing Fox you how you as a Fox main can add these different elements to your own personal style.
They're completly different.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Something kinda strange, Roughly every third laser shot that hits your opponent will turn him around. So your both facing each other, you fire three shots, he shoots something but it goes the other way. Useful?
What? I have never seen such a thing o_O

I have kind of a dumb question... it most likely doesn't work, but it's something I thought of, and unsuccessfully tested, a while back.

Some of you have probably seen Peach's Bair lock http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4sTCS7knCM

I was wondering if Fox had any way to do that. I tried different moves, and Fox's Nair seemed to have similar properties to Peach's Bair in the video, but I was unable to jab/nairlock consistently, though there were a couple times that it seemed I got the "fish flopping" animation on the opponent in training mode. I think it's most likely to work with the "sex kick" portion of Fox's Nair, especially if you're hitting with Fox's body's hitbox, rather than his foot, meaning that Fox is facing backwards, rather than forwards.

It's kinda hard to explain, but I was wondering if this is at all possible to do. Most likely not, but I guess it's worth asking.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
Something kinda strange, Roughly every third laser shot that hits your opponent will turn him around. So your both facing each other, you fire three shots, he shoots something but it goes the other way. Useful?
not even slightly.
that only works on coms and only does it when in training mode and there set to stop, if you change it to control they wont turn.

all in all It is completely and utterly useless.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
you dont have that the SH laser can be used to turn fox around. you should put that in.
not necacarily fox exclusive but theres the ledge grab cancel, just hold down when coming in contact with an edge and you wont snap to it. possible use when recovering with forefox and going toward the ledge diagnoly and instead of snapping to the ledge you go past it and might hit the ledge defewnder since he's expecting you to just auto snap.

prolly more but im sleepy right now and not thinking at my fullest.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
you dont have that the SH laser can be used to turn fox around. you should put that in.
not necacarily fox exclusive but theres the ledge grab cancel, just hold down when coming in contact with an edge and you wont snap to it. possible use when recovering with forefox and going toward the ledge diagnoly and instead of snapping to the ledge you go past it and might hit the ledge defewnder since he's expecting you to just auto snap.

prolly more but im sleepy right now and not thinking at my fullest.
Thanks I'll add that. (I presume the first one your talking about is the B-reversal.)

soul ark

Smash Ace
Sorry man, but someone is already doing this.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=222913
Perhaps you can contribute?
Thats completly different. This thread is aimed at finding new AT's and Tricks. That thread was made,They're completly different.
if it would be okay with you do you think i could like this thread to mine and whatever at's you list i'll come up with different uses. because it seems as though your thread is trying to find them while im trying to apply them to a general strategy. we could work double time which would be very beneficial. it's up to you.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
if it would be okay with you do you think i could like this thread to mine and whatever at's you list i'll come up with different uses. because it seems as though your thread is trying to find them while im trying to apply them to a general strategy. we could work double time which would be very beneficial. it's up to you.
I totally agree. I would be more than happy to work together on this.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
Fox can also perform a running reverse laser.
while your in a full run and you release the controle stick, press b, and then move the controle stick in the opposite direcrion of your run immedeatly after hitting b, you will reverwe your direction and fire a regular laser but without any turning or stopping(the run) animation and immedeatly fire the laser.

this is tricky on the timing but nice since there osnt the nead for the SH to turn the laser and comes out so fast it's rather unexpected.

P.S. im not sure how well this is know, but it is a nifty little trick.

RPK

Smash Lord
I can do it! :3 I'll make the replay later and send it over so one of you guys can put it on. I use Fox trotting A LOT so I know a bunch of ways to use it. =D

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
I can do it! :3 I'll make the replay later and send it over so one of you guys can put it on. I use Fox trotting A LOT so I know a bunch of ways to use it. =D
*charges*
*trips*
*eats a F-smash*
*dies*

T_T

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Updated OP again.
What do you guys think of the new stuff I put in the discussion section? I'd like to at least get some feedback on that if you don't have anything new to add yourselves.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Did anyone know that you can dribble and banana pivot wave toss with Fox?

I was messing around with him today and started doing it with Diddy's bananas.

EDIT: If no one knows about this I will try to make video.

Also after further testing you can toss any item except some items like star rods and bats (basically all weapons except for weapons intended to be thrown ex: bob-omb, motion sensory bomb, green shell) require harder timing.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
^Fox doesn't have a glide toss. He has a boost toss.

Do you know if you can throw the item forward? The only ways I can throw the item is up, down, and then by pivoting.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I checked the boost toss out, It's pretty hard to do with Fox but I managed to get him to glide just under half of Final Destination, sweetness. I'll update the OP with the Boost Toss.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Fox's glide toss is lame compared to the distance you can slide with the boost toss. Sure the boost toss is harder but it's worth it.

Edit: Another update to the OP guys.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
^Are you b-sticking? Or is it straight up control stick influence?

I definitely liked the video.
strait up control,
although i do b-stick, b-sticking will not work for these techs, and i've actually been using the b-stick a LOT less lately, even if it does give some unique things.

thanks ^.^

Edit: im gonna start making the laser video now, should be done before days end :p
SHSL: done
SH silent L: done
SHDL: done
SHTL: done but i'm not so good at those so i had to edit the good one's together in a row. to show
b-reversal :done
airial b-reversal: done
airial laser turn : done
are there any im forgetting??

double edit: youtube is giving me hell with trying to upload certain videos, i have it done and siting in my hard drive but my constant attempts to upload are failing, i'll keep at it and post a link when finished.
Tripple Edit: once i get the replay from RPK i'll add it to what i have now and up load it when youtube will finaly let me, wierd thing is i've been able to upload other vids randomly, just the important one's fail >.<

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Not an AT at all, and it's probably already known, but at low percents, if you space the illusion right, it combos into a Utilt (Has to be spaced so that the illusion ends right behind where the character you hit was, so that they essentially get hit into Utilt's hitbox.).
Also, does the illusion have IASA frames, because when I do this it seems like the Utilt comes out much earlier than it should (though maybe that's just my imagination...)?

RPK

Smash Lord
Oh god, in just the past few minutes I got SO many new laser tricks. And they'll be shown in the vid :3 As well as my sexy triple laser skills x3

Top Bottom