• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

THE Mario Guide (LEDGE TRICKS/PLANKING FINISHED [i think])

mikybee93

Smash Rookie
Lucas and Ness are pretty good against Mario though. The up-b or up-c is unaffected by his cape, and it's freaking powerful.
Also, if you launch yourself at Mario with a PK thunder, cape doesn't work.

PS, I use my cape too much as you might guess...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Lucas and Ness are pretty good against Mario though. The up-b or up-c is unaffected by his cape, and it's freaking powerful.
Also, if you launch yourself at Mario with a PK thunder, cape doesn't work.
Yes it does. You're just not spacing yourself correctly.

mikybee93

Smash Rookie
Yeah, i just joined the forums yesterday i think. Doesnt mean that that's just when i got the game.

And the momentum changes with lucas/ness too of course, right?

Matt07

Smash Master
Yes, anyone hit with the Cape reverses there momentum. Hmm...so if you cape Ness/Lucas during their recovery, the Pk Thunder Ball will be reveresed meaning that left=right, right=left, or vice versa. Or something similar to that :psycho:.

mikybee93

Smash Rookie
But any horizontal recovery = cape haven. That's why i love my friend who plays as Luigi and always uses his orizontal instead of his vertical.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
When will all the matchups not accounted for be added? Should we discuss them first or something?

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Yeah right... Just try n' cape me miky... Just try...:rolleyes:
Why cape when you can just use the FLUDD? FLUDD stops Luigi's tornado and green missile, and Luigi's Up B is very easy to cape since he has to be practically right next to the ledge to sweetspot properly.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
^ they're being discussed in bosses matchup thread. im just a little lazy with the updates right now... >.>
Your laziness hurts my Mario! If it takes too long for me to find out just what I should use my Falco against, I just might main Falco and drop Mario entirely! I have yet to play good players who use anything but top/high tier characters, and if I don't know how to be ready for them I won't take any risks!

Don't make me drop my Flud-Cape-F-airing rampages D:

Matt07

Smash Master
Hmm...I'll list all the characters I lised are the ones I think you should switch characters for (But honestly, Mario doesn't need a secondary/tertiary, he's too broken for that.)

Metaknight, G&W, Marth, Snake, Olimar (maybe.) Out of all those that we've discussed already, I think you should switch characters, but again I will say Mario is too broken to rely on a secondary.

Matt07

Smash Master
The only secondary Mario needs is Luigi.

That duo is super-broken.
Agreed...even though I don't need a secondary, I still agree. Well...I have trouble with Luigi, he doesn't fall fast enough for me, and he slides like nuts, sorry Luigi mains :(.

Mario and Luigi are more broken in teams.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
I use Mario against everything I should be able to handle competitively, but of course against absolutely everything in friendlies.
If I got a somewhat problematic matchup in competition with Mario I don't take the risk but rather use my Falco/Snake backup. Now THAT combination is broken if you ask me.
I'd consider the Mario/Luigi thing as I have before if it weren't for Luigi's Horizontal issues. I feel like anything I could take with Luigi can be taken with Mario more carefully anyway...no use in adapting to two different playstyles if I have preference. Luigi's too much of a stand-still non-camper for me...and his fireball sux...

But still, my hope is that Mario will find enough things to fix matchup issues like D3 (not likely) or at least Snake. I know I can at least toss around the bad snakes, but I don't expect to be beating on anything competition-worthy soon.

My current list of "Risky Mario Matchups" is:
Diddy G&W IC's (D3) Lucario Marth (Ness) Olimar (ROB) (Sheik) Snake Wario

The ()'s are for match ups that you didn't mention in the main post of this thread.

Skittles

Smash Rookie
I haven't seen this posted so i decided to add some.(correct me if im wrong)
*Using mario's D-throw folowed with a jump into his f-air wracks up some good damage.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I use Mario against everything I should be able to handle competitively, but of course against absolutely everything in friendlies.
If I got a somewhat problematic matchup in competition with Mario I don't take the risk but rather use my Falco/Snake backup. Now THAT combination is broken if you ask me.
I'd consider the Mario/Luigi thing as I have before if it weren't for Luigi's Horizontal issues. I feel like anything I could take with Luigi can be taken with Mario more carefully anyway...no use in adapting to two different playstyles if I have preference. Luigi's too much of a stand-still non-camper for me...and his fireball sux...

But still, my hope is that Mario will find enough things to fix matchup issues like D3 (not likely) or at least Snake. I know I can at least toss around the bad snakes, but I don't expect to be beating on anything competition-worthy soon.

My current list of "Risky Mario Matchups" is:
Diddy G&W IC's (D3) Lucario Marth (Ness) Olimar (ROB) (Sheik) Snake Wario

The ()'s are for match ups that you didn't mention in the main post of this thread.
I understand G&W, Olimar, ICs, and Marth. But Rob and Sheik? They are very easy. Especially sheik.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
I use Mario as my main, Lucario a side main and Sheik, Wolf, Falco and Snake as secondaries.

So broked :p

I kinda suck with Luigi sometimes because of his loob on the bottom of his shoes and too floaty.

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
I think for mostly all Mario mains, using Luigi wouldn't be soo bad.

But Mario is just TEH COMBO BEAZT. Mario forever! xD

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Rob and Peach are beasty secondaries. They are good against the majority of the characters that Mario loses too.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Both get wrecked by DDD though.

In fact, I got pretty crappy counterpick characters (Ike and Link), but I can't say I care much.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Yeah, he does get pretty tiring to talk about after awhile.

Lets talk about a character we wreck, like Bowser. :)

Famous

Smash Champion
My secondaries are Luigi, ROB and D3...I'm about to swap D3 for Lucario though since Lucario was one of my first secondaries..

Lol, Fireballs go through Bowser Breath and it's not that hard to avoid being killed by the koopa claw...It's also way too easy to get inside of his shield...

Though he could be a force to be messed with on small stages...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I've been owned by a good Bowser once (3-stocked, on WiFi), but that one ownage is really all it takes to know what Bowser can do.

Bowser really doesn't have an answer to fireballs besides shielding. Once he flinches, it's open season, so I don't really find his defensive game hard to get around besides Up-B OOS. T_T

I will give Bowser one thing though. Getting hit by U-air is freaken monstrous.

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
**** DDD. I'm sick of that character.
Be gay, choose Martha, and chaingrab DDD with F-throw to the end of the stage, F-smash.

But then again...We are Mario's...We're not gay...We're plumbers that combo teh FUDGE out of our opponents with our trustworthy pooped boots & gloves and magically shoot teh fireballs at our opponents...

Thus, once again, Mario is teh strongest. lol xD :laugh:

Dory

Smash Journeyman
bowser isnt a problem for me :/
the only people are basically top tier (which kinda **** mario)

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Mario and Luigi Comparison

Jab: Luigi has more range and gives up to 10%, as opposed to Mario's 9% maximum. Mario's might be a bit faster, though.

F-Tilt: Luigi has slightly longer reach, but is a touch laggier.

D-Tilt: Luigi has less raneg, but more power and a chance of tripping his foe

U-Tilt: Luigi doesn't juggle quite as easily, but once again has more power

F-Smash: Mario's got more range and power (if sweetspotted), but Luigi's attack is faster

U-Smash: Mario is said to have more range here

D-Smash: Mario's got more range, slightly less strength. Mario's might be a bit faster...

N-air: Luigi's has better power, knockback, and killing potential. Better move overall.

F-air: Mario's is stronger and can spike, but is slower.

B-air: Pretty much the same, with Luigi having a touch more range.

U-air: Pretty much the same, with Luigi having more power

D-air: Luigi's can spike, but is hard to master. Mario's is better for approaches and packs more punch.

Grabs: Pretty much all even.

Range: Luigi wins here, with longer legs

Power: Mario and Luigi are about tied here, with luigi being a touch stronger

Aerial: They're about tied here. Mario may be a bit better.

Ground: Depends.

Recovery: Luigi wins.

Edgeguarding: We should all know this.

Top Bottom