• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

THE Mario Guide (LEDGE TRICKS/PLANKING FINISHED [i think])

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I went and did science in training mode. Just so I could figure out some not so obvious differences between Mario and Luigi's attacks. This isn't done yet, but here is what I discovered.

All of Mario's Smashes outrange Luigi's (the D-smash, it's more noticeable on the back hit because Mario points his toe outwards, the U-smash horizontally the difference seems slight, but I need to test the hitbox behind them more). Luigi's F-smash has less ending lag.

Luigi's F-tilt is laggier but a little longer than Mario's (Mario's seems to have IASA frames). Luigi's D-tilt is shorter than Mario's but causes tripping until high percents which can combo into his kill moves. Luigi's U-tilt has more horizontal range on both sides, but Mario's U-tilt has more vertical range, enough to hit people on the battlefield platforms.

Luigi's jab outranges Mario's.

Anyone willing to see more?

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Yah, sure go for it. By the way, has anyone else noticed that Luigi's Utilt doesn't trap as well as Mario's?

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Well it kinda traps but you can get out of it with tap DI. Mario's seems hrder to get out of than Luigi's, that's all I'm saying.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
HOLY **** I can't believe nobody except me does Dash attack canceled U-smashes with Mario.

Mario's DAC is awesome. It's a harder one to pull off than others IMO, but the result is amazing. It slides like as far as Falco's if you get it perfectly.

Seriously guys, try it out. Even if you don't get it perfectly, it still slides a little farther than Hyphen Smashing.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
C-stick Dash attack to Z Upsmash.

You need to do it very fast. As fast as possible.

I'll try to get a vid up. Mario slides like 1/4 of FD or something like that if you do it perfectly. I think this will really add to Mario's game.

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
Alright, finally got my copy of Brawl to work again (dirty laser >.>), so I'm back to playing Mario. It's about freaking time this got a sticky.

I'll try the DAC now =O I can do it with a consistency rate of about 80-90% with Link, let's see if I can get 100% with Mario xD

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I've done it a few times. Haven't got it mastered though.

It's much like Link's DAC, but nowhere near as good.

I'm not seeing the 1/4th sliding action either. Mario only slides a small distance. Perhaps I'm still doing it wrong?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I've done it a few times. Haven't got it mastered though.

It's much like Link's DAC, but nowhere near as good.

I'm not seeing the 1/4th sliding action either. Mario only slides a small distance. Perhaps I'm still doing it wrong?
It requires insanely fast reflexes for a DAC. Other DACs you can get obvious benefit from fairly easily, however I never said Mario had an easy DAC to pull off. If not done perfectly it doesn't slide much farther than his Hyphen Smash (but still...).

As I said, I'll try to get a replay of me pulling off DACs sooner or later.

EDIT: Huh. Actually here is why my Mario slides a lot. Mario has less traction while CHARGING his U-smash. When his U-smash comes out, his traction returns to normal, and this is why C stick Hyphen Smashing won't go as far. Doing a Hyphen Smash with the A button has gotten my Mario sliding around a bit, although I think results are still a bit better from DACing. DACing uncharged U-smashes for example goes farther than Hyphen Smashing, but anyhow you still need to time it well AND charge it to get maximum distance.

Either way I see this as being very useful, and you guys should try it out.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Ya 4 sticky. Does anyone know what characters come in at levels 4-10 in classic?
Progression (once all characters are unlocked):

Stage 1- Fight a Zelda character. This is done either in teams or one on one.

Stage 2- Fight Giant Yoshi with Diddy Kong and Donkey Kong as your allies or fight Diddy Kong and Donkey Kong with Yoshi as your ally.

Stage 3- Fight a Pokemon character.

Stage 4- Fight Marth and Ike

Bonus Stage 1- Target Smash

Stage 5- Fight a Giant Kirby character

Stage 6- Versus random character or Versus Team

Stage 7- Versus Metal or Versus Team (you will get team for this if you didn’t for stage 6)

Stage 8- Fight a Mario character

Stage 9- Versus random character or Versus Team

Stage 10- Versus random character

Bonus Stage 2 -Target Smash

Stage 11- Versus three random characters

Final Stage- Versus Master Hand or Master Hand and Crazy Hand

Bonus Stage 3- During the credits shoot the pictures of characters or the trophies to get coins for the coin launcher.

Entire Classic list, or at least what I've gotten.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Mario has a CG on G&W? Will this make him easier to handle?

He's like Mario's hardest match-up.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Its only a release chain grab. Can't hit him at all while grabbing him. after he breaks free, you can follow up with another attack before he gets a chance to do anything.

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
Progression (once all characters are unlocked):

Stage 1- Fight a Zelda character. This is done either in teams or one on one.

Stage 2- Fight Giant Yoshi with Diddy Kong and Donkey Kong as your allies or fight Diddy Kong and Donkey Kong with Yoshi as your ally.

Stage 3- Fight a Pokemon character.

Stage 4- Fight Marth and Ike

Bonus Stage 1- Target Smash

Stage 5- Fight a Giant Kirby character

Stage 6- Versus random character or Versus Team

Stage 7- Versus Metal or Versus Team (you will get team for this if you didn’t for stage 6)

Stage 8- Fight a Mario character

Stage 9- Versus random character or Versus Team

Stage 10- Versus random character

Bonus Stage 2 -Target Smash

Stage 11- Versus three random characters

Final Stage- Versus Master Hand or Master Hand and Crazy Hand

Bonus Stage 3- During the credits shoot the pictures of characters or the trophies to get coins for the coin launcher.

Entire Classic list, or at least what I've gotten.
thnx. nvm, though, i found the complete list.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
I see a few discrepancies with the list.

2. You can also fight any of the characters one on one

3. Also comes in Giant and 2v2 versions.

4. You can also fight Ness and Lucas, 2v2, or Team.

5. Also comes in 1v1 and 2v2

6 (or 7, don't remember which): Captain Falcon Metal or 1v1, or Star Fox Giant or 2v2

8. Also comes in 2v2, Team, and Metal

All other stages are correct.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Okay, in case it wasn't official, Mario definitely has the advantage on Sonic. I asked Teh_Spammerer. He said so. ^_^

Adomnintendoguy (10:04:02 PM): Huh. Who has the advantage in Sonic vs Mario?
RedAxelRanger (10:04:06 PM): mario
RedAxelRanger (10:04:09 PM): u have fireballs
RedAxelRanger (10:04:22 PM): they come out pretty fast
RedAxelRanger (10:04:29 PM): and stop sonic from running around

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
Yeah, when I add Sonic I'm gonna put it so Mario's in the advantage. All Sonic has against Mario is that he runs fast, and yeah, fireballs stop that. I never really liked that abnoxious blue hedgehog, anyway. Whenever he says "you're to slow," I just wanna pound his head in the ground, then do some crazy combo followed by a meteor smash.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Even though Mario may have the adantage. Sonic's section should still be a little more distinct. Mario only has a slight advantage over him. After facing Dark Nes's Sonic, i really don't think Sonic is that much easier than people think.

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
sonic's nuetral-b(homing attack) can gimp mario fairly easy,if he hit's your second jump with it,you will die,he can also keep the pressure coming with all his diffrent dash attacks plus,the only way can gimp his him is by fairing his up-b but it comes out really fast and his u/nair can mess me up,he can also space very well
I would actually consider sonic 4.5-5 to mario lmao
still very few sonic players can even play this well so the chances you'l have troubles with one is slim

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Sonic's definitely no walk in the park if people know what they're doing. He can combo as well as we can except his are inescapable. His recovery is difficult to gimp and a good Sonic will be difficult to land an Fsmash on. Since he dies at much higher percentages than most from Usmash, this is a big deal.

Change of heart brought to you by PhoenixDark, who handed my head to me after 2 embarrasing defeats by his Sonic XD

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Sonic's hard to hit period. Fireballs help out greatly to an extent. All in all, it's always a long drawn out affair of trying to connect with a hit lol. I play a real campy Mario with Sonic so I get along fine.

Unfortunatly i've never had to combat a "Highly Experience Sonic" as of yet :laugh:

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
haha fight Darknes.
im sorry I meant most sonic players you'll fight can't use him anywere near as effectivley as darkness,'sonic' as a charcter definatly is'nt a pushover but I garantee you if you fight any random sonic 'player' most of them there are just gonna be DA, Nuetral B ect.spammers (which is the case everytime I play basic brawl on wifi)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I did a little testing on what Mario can do at the ledge.

Well, you can obviously stand up, ledgejump/hop -> airdodge/aerial to get back on, but there is more.

You can Fireball camp. Ledgehop, throw a Fireball, and then Up-B back to the ledge.

You can Charge FLUDD. Ledgehop, Charge FLUDD, Air dodge, then Up-B back to the ledge.

You can Cape Stall. Push the control stick backwards and use the Cape, then you will grab the ledge automatically after the Cape finishes.

Ledgehopped U-air, N-air, and D-air can autocancel into a ledge regrab

You can Ledgehop F-air and regrab the ledge, which I don't think most people are aware how. Simple. Ledgehop F-air, then use the Cape to instantly grab the ledge again.

On some stages where there is a suitable wall, you can wall jump to do a ledgehopped Bair to get back to the stage. On some stages if you do wall jump B-air recovery right, you can get in two B-airs before you hit the ground. On stages where there isn't a suitable wall, you can simply initiate a Cape from the ledge, hold backwards so you don't grab the ledge, then jump, THEN B-air to get back to the stage. I suggest Mario mains practice this. This will give Mario a more reliable ledgehop attack option.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
On some stages where there is a suitable wall, you can wall jump to do a ledgehopped Bair to get back to the stage. On some stages if you do wall jump B-air recovery right, you can get in two B-airs before you hit the ground. On stages where there isn't a suitable wall, you can simply initiate a Cape from the ledge, hold backwards so you don't grab the ledge, then jump, THEN B-air to get back to the stage. I suggest Mario mains practice this. This will give Mario a more reliable ledgehop attack option.
I do this a lot. Especially the ledge stall one. In the middle of the caping animation, hold down so you don't grab the edge, and bair/uair back on. It's good for mind games ^^

Top Bottom