• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Social Thread

yoshq

Smash Master
And for downthrow, the frame traps are sorta 50:50 in a sense that if they just air dodge with a jump immediately then you can't punish with a Up-smash or anything that would hit if they just air-dodged to the ground. also it can collide or get beat with moves (like MK's D-air). Downthrow -> uptilt is guaranteed at low percents on most characters, but I like forwardthrow to sweep-cyclone cuz why not. So I would rather just go for a more damaging throw and have take more stage control than getting a 2-hit string.
Nonono. You appear not to realize the gravity of the potential of dthrow. If they air dodge, you regrab. Train them to fear it. Regrab then do the other option. Mixups. Or you can upb before they hit the ground... I don't think characters that will air dodge into the ground hit the ground before you can do something very often, and even if they do, you regrab. So many options.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
soooo, which other luigi mains are going to apex? just confirmed myself a couple of days ago, gonna git er done

let me know, i wanna meet y'all.

xoxo zhao <3

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
Good luck there Zhao!

I hope Boss and YoshQ also go to Apex, Luigi needs of more representatives...

Oh, and does anyone know if J. Miller, the best Luigi main from UK, has chances to go?

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Good luck there Zhao!

I hope Boss and YoshQ also go to Apex, Luigi needs of more representatives...

Oh, and does anyone know if J. Miller, the best Luigi main from UK, has chances to go?
I think he's going. He is on the entrant list.

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Who from the boards will be at Apex this year? Looking to play a lot of people in general and would enjoy actually playing other Luigi's as it's a MU I can say I don't get to play at all.

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
Man, I just saw the pools...

Zhao is in the same pool as Nairo and Fatal...

And J.Miller is in the same pool as FOW...

That's bad...

Also, I didn't see Boss in any Brawl bracket, only on Melee...

I don't get it, 'cause when I looked on the entrant list, he was in both singles and doubles of Brawl...

The Nutz of Norcal Deez

Smash Apprentice
I was at Apex. Got to watch JBand & Boss do Double Luigi vs Sky` & Zex, hype set. They had some cool setups.
Uhh, I met Zhao, sadly we didn't get to play, but I watched you get a lovely 2-for-1-special Up-B in one of your Doubles matches on Lylat. You were carrying your teammate that set for sure.
I also talked to JBand, but other than that I didn't see any others. Didn't really see any Luigis on screens as I was walking around the venue, so I assumed literally none of you were there, lol.
Idk if Boss got out of pools. I know JBand did well in his pools though, He did a sick B-Throw -> Side B crit on Sky in Game 3 of winners vs Sky`s Falco. He beat his Wario too on Game 2.
Definitely a refreshing sight to watch another Luigi play him differently. I took notes.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I spent too much time with DGames and forgot to meet new people :(

I did get to at least introduce myself to Zhao, which was nice.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
wicked seeing/meeting you fellas! it was a time and a half. the quad-Luigi match with Boss, Jband and luigimitsu was one for the books. my performance was pretty lackluster overall, but landing a firepunch on Nairo before he gave me the boots made it all worth it hahaha.

cheers to all of you Luigi mains. keep on doin' the plumber thing!

<3 zhao

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
Well, I just played a Brawl tournament today and placed 3rd...

Used :luigi2: and :gw:...

I was defeated in the 2nd round of Winners Bracket by the champion of the tournament, who is a :marth: main, and lost in the Losers Finals to a :snake: main...

Both Winners and Losers Finals had to be just Bo3 instead of Bo5...

My first round was very easy. 3-stocked the guy's :jigglypuff: and 2-stocked his :diddy:...

In the first match of the set against the :marth: player I left him with 50% or 60% in the last stock before losing, then decided to change to :gw: and I almost took the game 2 even after wasting a whole stock due to my own silliness...

Guess it would've been better to have used :gw: in the first match, 'cause although :luigi2:'s MU against :marth: is not unwinnable, it's very tough...

Then I striked two random guys in the Losers, one of them even used :metaknight:, haha...

The Losers Quarters was by far the most tense set that I had on the tournament. I saw that the guy was going to use :dedede:, so I definitely wouldn't use :luigi2:. Went with:gw: and won game 1. Then he changed to :marth: and beat me on game 2. I considered in switch back to :luigi2:, but after my failure in the Winners, decided to continue with :gw: and won game 3 after two good Fairs, not letting his :marth: come back to the stage. All three matches were very disputed and tiresome, with both fighters in the last stock and above 100%...

In the Losers Semifinals I easily won against my opponent, 2-stocking his :sheilda: and 3-stocking his :wario:. Think he was lucky getting a relatively easy way through his bracket...

So, finally, the Losers Finals. We both played well in game 1, both at last stock and above 120%, I barely lost. Then on game 2 I think I got nervous, after all it was just Bo3 and the :snake:survived an Up B at 59%, which really disappointed me. I ended up being 2-stocked...

Unfortunately, as I don't have a capture card, I couldn't record the majority of the matches. Guess I could only record the first match of the 1st round and the second match of the Losers Semifinals...

Well, after all, that was a great tournament, I hope to have better lucky next time...

Last edited:

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Nice job. I actually rarely encountered Marth in tournament, but always lost to snake and to this day never beat a snake in tournament. There is a lot of interesting tricks that work well against marth as luigi. For one Luigi's upsmash animation can dodge Marth's fair.

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
What is up, guys?
Well, nothing new until now...

The next tournament in here will be only on July, I'll have to wait...

But I've played an online tournament from a Smash group of Facebook in these past months, I got 1st together with one of my friends (we decided to split at the end), the tournament had 32 entrants...

Used :luigi2:for the entire tournament...

Yeah, I know that online is crap and all that stuff, but it's the only way to play Brawl in places where the scene is almost nonexistent or very inactive, like in here...

I'm now playing an online Low Tier tournament of that same group...

And you BSL? How are you doing?

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
Leo, nice job getting 3rd! I can give a couple tips on playing snake because it can be a difficult matchup, but since I'm in the same region as mikeray, fatal, and bizkit, so I have recently been getting better at it. The main problem is ftilt, so you kind of want to keep snake in a range that's not too close for ftilt, but not to far to nade camp, pretty much fireball range. Once Luigi get's in he has a lot jab mix-ups, like jab to dsmash and jab to grab. Down throw works wonders on snake, just down throw and he will usually air dodge or use back air, which has a lot of ending lag. Simply run out after dthrow and just regrab him, I sometimes get this 3 or 4 times in a row, due to snake's poor landing options (besides b reverse but that is really only used if he's really high up). Also don't up b until about 80%, due to snake's weight, of course this is assuming they DI it well.

I can't give you much help with D3, as I recently lost to one too at a tournament, but the dthrow regrab works good on him too. I saw Yoshq do it few times, when you down throw D3 ends up facing you, so his best option (bair) is eliminated, the others you can wait out till he lands and regrab him.

I've been playing Brawl DX recently but I'm glad this thread is still active.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I've been doing well. Playing a lot of PM lately, and I'm doing better in that than I ever did in brawl. I don't play brawl much anymore, but I do enter tournaments, and I play luigi exclusively unless someone tries to screw me over and counterpick D3 ON GAME ONE UGH :mad::mad::mad: lol

yoshq

Smash Master
spamming jab can cancel out and beat the first hit of snake's ftilt. other than that condition them with roll until they aren't confident enough to finish ftilt and then it's not as big of a problem.

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
Leo, nice job getting 3rd! I can give a couple tips on playing snake because it can be a difficult matchup, but since I'm in the same region as mikeray, fatal, and bizkit, so I have recently been getting better at it. The main problem is ftilt, so you kind of want to keep snake in a range that's not too close for ftilt, but not to far to nade camp, pretty much fireball range. Once Luigi get's in he has a lot jab mix-ups, like jab to dsmash and jab to grab. Down throw works wonders on snake, just down throw and he will usually air dodge or use back air, which has a lot of ending lag. Simply run out after dthrow and just regrab him, I sometimes get this 3 or 4 times in a row, due to snake's poor landing options (besides b reverse but that is really only used if he's really high up). Also don't up b until about 80%, due to snake's weight, of course this is assuming they DI it well.

I can't give you much help with D3, as I recently lost to one too at a tournament, but the dthrow regrab works good on him too. I saw Yoshq do it few times, when you down throw D3 ends up facing you, so his best option (bair) is eliminated, the others you can wait out till he lands and regrab him.

I've been playing Brawl DX recently but I'm glad this thread is still active.
Yeah, thanks for your help DJ, I'll explore these options if I have a chance...

DBSammy

Smash Ace
I've been doing well. Playing a lot of PM lately, and I'm doing better in that than I ever did in brawl. I don't play brawl much anymore, but I do enter tournaments, and I play luigi exclusively unless someone tries to screw me over and counterpick D3 ON GAME ONE UGH :mad::mad::mad: lol
That's pretty much how I am over here in OH.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
But I've played an online tournament from a Smash group of Facebook in these past months, I got 1st together with one of my friends (we decided to split at the end), the tournament had 32 entrants...
(I'm just messing with you) How do you split in an online tournament? There is no money to split lol.

Also I'm doing good. Looking for employment and waiting to graduate from college.

@ BSL BSL and @ DJ Delta DJ Delta

To play against D3 just play safe, recover high when necessary to avoid bair ledge guard, and remember you can fireball at D3 as much as you want even over his ftilt.

Last edited:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Yeah it's just really frustrating to have someone pick D3 after you pick Luik, then peach to counter my olimar. I later found out the dude mains toon link. Like **** off asshole. Good thing I beat him :[

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's just really frustrating to have someone pick D3 after you pick Luik, then peach to counter my olimar. I later found out the dude mains toon link. Like **** off *******. Good thing I beat him :[
Man, :toonlink: is ANNOYING for :luigi2:...

Freaking bombs, arrows and zairs...

And I'm not good with :gw: in this matchup, so I have to find a way to win with :luigi2:...

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I'm not sure about others, but I have a few good stories from playing. Here is one

I think the tournament was LIRR2. Prior to the tournament starting I'm doing my usual routine which is to play some practice matches and get to know some of the new entrants. I come across this one guy that I wasn't familiar with. He was playing Metaknight and so I asked him for a few matches. Game after game I beat him constantly( I think he beat me two times) and I got to know a little bit about him. He came in DK Will's carpool and he use to play, but took a long break and decided to come back. After this happened my friend a fellow smashboard user to you all Thunderst0rm was just asking me for matches and advice for luigi. I complied and helped him out.

Now the tournament starts which had a very ironic turnout. 1st round bracket pools I end up 4th seed in a 6 man bracket with W-2, and L-2. The last match I played was the most important match since it affected my match in the tourney bracket. If I would have won my last match then I would have had to play Raptor who I play an insane amount of times. Good thing I lost because I didn't play him, but played fatal.

Sad part about this story is about poor Thunderst0rm :(. If I remember correctly he had a pretty easy bracket, but guess who was his first match? It was the metaknight guy that I had been playing O_O. The whole time that I was playing him he was learning the match up lol. I unintentionally set Thunderst0rm up. I never saw that coming and Thunderst0rm was unable to make it out of bracket. Sorry Thunder I didn't know.

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure about others, but I have a few good stories from playing. Here is one

I think the tournament was LIRR2. Prior to the tournament starting I'm doing my usual routine which is to play some practice matches and get to know some of the new entrants. I come across this one guy that I wasn't familiar with. He was playing Metaknight and so I asked him for a few matches. Game after game I beat him constantly( I think he beat me two times) and I got to know a little bit about him. He came in DK Will's carpool and he use to play, but took a long break and decided to come back. After this happened my friend a fellow smashboard user to you all Thunderst0rm was just asking me for matches and advice for luigi. I complied and helped him out.

Now the tournament starts which had a very ironic turnout. 1st round bracket pools I end up 4th seed in a 6 man bracket with W-2, and L-2. The last match I played was the most important match since it affected my match in the tourney bracket. If I would have won my last match then I would have had to play Raptor who I play an insane amount of times. Good thing I lost because I didn't play him, but played fatal.

Sad part about this story is about poor Thunderst0rm :(. If I remember correctly he had a pretty easy bracket, but guess who was his first match? It was the metaknight guy that I had been playing O_O. The whole time that I was playing him he was learning the match up lol. I unintentionally set Thunderst0rm up. I never saw that coming and Thunderst0rm was unable to make it out of bracket. Sorry Thunder I didn't know.
That's quite interesting...

Dear God, how unlucky Thunderst0rm was...:c

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Yeah crazy stuff. I actually played a little bit yesterday. A few games with Will and Raptor along with another guy I've never met named Eli. We had a fun and we trying out 1 stock since a tourney is being hosted using the 1 stock ruleset. I was surprised that I could still put up a fight against Will.

Top Bottom