• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Social Thread

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
Yeah crazy stuff. I actually played a little bit yesterday. A few games with Will and Raptor along with another guy I've never met named Eli. We had a fun and we trying out 1 stock since a tourney is being hosted using the 1 stock ruleset. I was surprised that I could still put up a fight against Will.
Will is pretty good for sure...

I actually know Eli, I've already saw him playing Project M, he uses Luigi and Donkey Kong...

But I didn't know that he plays Brawl too...

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Will is pretty good for sure...

I actually know Eli, I've already saw him playing Project M, he uses Luigi and Donkey Kong...

But I didn't know that he plays Brawl too...
Really? Oh wow. Hmm you could be confusing him for another guy. I'll have to ask him who he mains in P:M.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
that's the game telling you to come back
Come for what? To lose to another Snake and never get to play the players I want to play?

But seriously I would only like to hang out with people if I went to tourney and by hangout I don't mean just play smash. Like do social activities or sightseeing if we're in the city.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
I know what you mean. Struggling vs super dumb matchups and whatnot takes a lot of fun out of playing the game. And yeah it can be more fun hanging out with smashers instead of playing smash alllllllllllll the time. That's why imo players like MX are some of the best people. You hang out with them without it having to revolve around the game.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Yeah true. I'll never forget MX when we were at apex. Especially being at Delta's house and that dog that wanted to eat our shoes.

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's tough to enjoy Brawl Singles as Luigi, I really enjoy Brawl Doubles though. Me and KC. 24 were getting some cool stuff in last week. Sonic's down throw to fireball lock, then to Sonic's jab lock to up b. Even got a double up b on an Anubis team, which on paper should be horrible, since MK is Luigi's worse MU as Lucario's is Sonic's. We even took Fatal's team to game 3.
Unfortunately, I haven't done so well in singles recently. Only real big wins were against somacruz and hinkage, and those were ages ago.

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
You know, see you guys talking about all these good moments which you had in tournaments (or in the house of others players) makes me a bit sad, because I realize that I'll probably never be able to live moments like these...

Brawl dying, I'm still at high school (no job and $ to travel), absolutely no nationals and very few active scenes in Brazil (the only city in here which Brawl is still very popular is Belém, a city of a million and a half inhabitants from the North region)...

It's so frustrating when you want to participate of things involving the game, to improve your performance and you can't, or when you see that it used to be much better at the past, but you didn't get the apex of it. You have to settle with streams of international tourneys or use the Wi-Fi play, you should know what I'm trying to say...

:(

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
Well Leo, I kinda entered the community later like yourself, and yeah it's true, even in the more active regions, there aren't as many tourney goers. The good news is, there's always smash 4, with your constant strive to get better, you could be known as one the better players in your area. With the game being new, you can get people involved, and maybe set up local tournaments yourself. Maybe even make Luigi top tier in the next game? I'm not saying just drop Brawl, quite the opposite. Getting better in brawl will only help improve my skills for the next smash. At the same time I always try to get new people, even it's only a few. That's what I'm trying to do in my local community. Take it as motivation, to not only improve your skills, but improve your community. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Lol Leo. That reminded of the time when me and Raptor wanted to get into the scene, but we assumed no played the game except us. Though we did find a scene and we got destroyed. But looking at my region or at least Long Island, NY there are only a handful of players and half of them either quit or play every so often.

Long Island alone only has around 25 players at most and back then there were more. Then once you get to the city the numbers increase, but barely. City tournaments usually draw in 15 local players of that area. Sure you see 40 or more players for some tourneys in NY, but that is like a combination of Long Island's suburban players, city players, NJ players, NE players, and sometimes the small carpool from a different region. I have no idea to this day how Raptor with yoshi has taken a few names by repeatedly playing the Luigi v.s yoshi match up.

Like DJ said you'll always improve.

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
That's another thing, Leo, find a crew. See if you can find just a few people in the area who have interest in the game. Luigisama practiced with Raptor a lot and I'm sure it helped both of them, and I'm sure it will help you too. I practice primarily with KC.24 and Ricius King. I used to practice with Atari and Lord Xavier too, but they play other fighters now, though they said they will come back for smash 4. As a low-tier, it's even more important to know MU's, and if you find people who play different characters it will only help you.

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
I know DJ, but as I said before, people in here don't express too much interest in Brawl anymore...

Many of them just play at the tournaments due to their old time's fame (including the best player of our region, the :marth: main who won the last tourney) or just play PM now...

I honestly don't fell comfortable in asking for them to organize a "Smash fest" or something like that, even helping with it. After all, if they don't find it so enjoyable anymore, there isn't many things I can do...

But there is actually two people I know who still like to play just like the old times...

Curiously, one of them is the :snake: main who beat me in the Losers Finals of our last tourney, he's my friend, I played a lot of friendlies with him on my birthday, almost two months before the tourney...

The other is an old partner from the time that I started to get interested in serious play, he was one of the first competitive players I faced. He needed to stay away from the game for a while to focus on his work, but now he's coming back (a bit rusty but OK, haha). Got happy when I knew about it...

I've already tried to schedule a gambling with them, but they were always busy, me too sometimes...

Guess I'll try again in these next days and see what happens...

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Ah I see yeah it's hard for some to get some practice.

On a side note what things are you guys interested in? Sports? reading? drawing?

I'm looking forward to the world cup.

L∈O

Smash Journeyman

On a side note what things are you guys interested in? Sports? reading? drawing?

FIFA World Cup? Really? Me too!

My city will host 6 matches of the World Cup, one of them will be Brazil x Mexico for the group stage, and they may play in here again on Round of 16 or Quarter-Finals, depending of their results...

The stadium from my city if you don't know, is "Estádio Castelão" (or "Arena Castelão", as it's been called after the reform)...

(This picture is of the second match from the final of a regional tournament which my team participated, more than 60.000 spectators, I was there, too bad we ended up being runners-up)

Anyway, me and my dad were wanting to get some tickets to watch one of the matches, but we couldn't get it, the process is VERY bureaucratic (and they're kind of expensive too)...

But it will still be a historical event for sure...

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744

Outside of smash and general vidgames, I like comics. Thor is the best.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Ah man that's amazing Leo. Yeah looking at the group stage on paper it seems like certain teams will make it out, but it's soccer anything can happen. As a USA citizen I always hope that we'll do good lol.

@ BSL BSL Ah I see. Are the comics that you read new or old?

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
@ BSL BSL Ah I see. Are the comics that you read new or old?
Both. I keep up with quite a few DC titles, a few marvel titles, and adventure time+bravest warriors. As for old, I stick to old Thor and nova comics. Thor Essential volumes and actual issues of nova. I'm a collector, I guess, haha.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I always think it's amazing on how these old comics still exist and just to own one it cost like more than $500. I once read a modern day comic that came in a cereal box. It had Wonder woman, superman, and the archer superhero(I forgot his name). It was interesting in that it conveyed a message against racism.

Just got my hood for graduation today. Who's a graduate here from college?

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Green arrow is most likely the archer. Speaking of, Arrow on CW is pretty good. It's got a lot of shirtlessness and everyone dating because it's on the CW but it's definitely interesting and pretty hype. You guys should check it out. Season 1 is on netflix.

And yeah, as far as price goes, issue 1 of nova is the only one I have that was expensive, and it was only about $100. I really want old Thor comics, but they're out of control. The first appearance of Thor is tens of thousands of dollars.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Green arrow is most likely the archer. Speaking of, Arrow on CW is pretty good. It's got a lot of shirtlessness and everyone dating because it's on the CW but it's definitely interesting and pretty hype. You guys should check it out. Season 1 is on netflix.

And yeah, as far as price goes, issue 1 of nova is the only one I have that was expensive, and it was only about $100. I really want old Thor comics, but they're out of control. The first appearance of Thor is tens of thousands of dollars.
Oh wow that's expensive, but I guess it is for a reason.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
y'all should get dolphin and P~M netplay and play me sons
No thanks I only play free people.

@ DBSammy DBSammy hmm interesting. I like the fact that this is a straight drive for me. Maybe I'd go and if you want we could do doubles.

On a side note I finally got my 1st job, but it was short lived since I got another job at this new target. I was working at Wendy's. It was alright, but going to apply to this new target the wage they gave me persuaded me to leave Wendy's. $8.50 at Wendy's v.s $9.25 and maybe $10.25 I'm going to target.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
I'd be down to team. Never done double Luigi outside of PM, so it would be new for me. I might enter all three singles as well. I'm a Luigi triple threat I suppose lol. And for meI'm still on the job hunt. Got turned down after an interview at Macy's yesterday evening. It went well but there were no "suitable positions" for me.

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
Oh, too bad for you man... :/

Well, the alternate server for Wii's online play does work, just played a few matches in these past minutes...

Dude, I'm glad in see that I can keep playing with some friends, I was already missing my matches with them...

DBSammy

Smash Ace
Someone said in the State of Brawl fb group (which I guess the Brawl version of the Melee it on Me group) that the new servers actually has less input lag.

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
Well, the lag seemed to be the same, but I only played against one person until now, need to play with more to be sure...

And one of my friends stated that the lag at online mode isn't due to the servers, but due to Smash's netcode, which is pretty bad...

I don't know if this is true, but OK...

Last edited:

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I'm still surprised at how people still view the luigi tech video. Brawl is pretty much dead. Looking at the stats people seem to be interested in the dash attack pivot grab cancel (Yoshq's portion of the video).

yoshq

Smash Master
Hey I might make that combo video if I could choose what clips could be in it and which couldn't. I have a lot more free time on my hands now that I'm not in school.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Whatever you want to do. At this point these clips are just collecting "cyber" dust.

Although I wish that more combo could be added. I know of a few that definitely should be in this video, but I can't remember which videos in particular I saw them.

By the way who is going to try the smash 4 demo? I'm not sure who is going to be available to use, but I want to try Mario out first.

Last edited:

yoshq

Smash Master
Whatever you want to do. At this point these clips are just collecting "cyber" dust.

Although I wish that more combo could be added. I know of a few that definitely should be in this video, but I can't remember which videos in particular I saw them.

By the way who is going to try the smash 4 demo? I'm not sure who is going to be available to use, but I want to try Mario out first.
Are all the clips on there or what?

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Are all the clips on there or what?
Yeah every combo that people put in that was recorded. There are some in the combo video thread, but those submissions from people were videos so those videos need to be downloaded.

Top Bottom