• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Social Thread

BSP

Smash Legend
I find it very difficult for me to enjoy myself anymore. I set high expectations for myself and feel terrible whenever I fail to meet them for reasons I believe are my fault.

At this point, I only find Luigi fun when I'm doing stupid things and going for flashy KOs. In tournament, I play too cautiously to use his strength to the fullest and I hate getting walled out the entire time.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I find it very difficult for me to enjoy myself anymore. I set high expectations for myself and feel terrible whenever I fail to meet them for reasons I believe are my fault.

At this point, I only find Luigi fun when I'm doing stupid things and going for flashy KOs. In tournament, I play too cautiously to use his strength to the fullest and I hate getting walled out the entire time.
You sound like me a while ago. Here's the thing, we play disadvantaged characters. Period. Thing is, match-ups are just arbitrary numbers they put it in your head to show that X character will have a Y amount of advantages against Z character. We know our character's weaknesses and we work to compensate for them. They (the numbers) don't factor in human error and thought processes. Sure, Luigi doesn't do very well against Marth and MK, but it doesn't mean he can't fight them. I get blown open by MK left and right and I keep playing the match-up because 1. I like trying new things against MK. 2. It keeps me busy and alert. Brawl gets boring when it turns into a non approaching campfest. Honestly, people are more afraid of Luigi than you'd think. 3. MK is a basic *****.

I don't know about the majority of you, but I'm a masochist when it comes to losing. As much as I hate it, I'll keep playing and keep getting beat up because I refuse to just take the L and walk away. I want the U/I/G/I to accompany that L. Sure, this pep talk probably won't make you or I place any better, but if anything, it'll make you realize that we play this character because we love the character. I go to tournaments to play Luigi. If I win, more power to me. In the end, I just want to do Luigi ****.

BSP

Smash Legend
You sound like me a while ago. Here's the thing, we play disadvantaged characters. Period.
Mistake from day 1 and I still beat myself up over it, and I'm not rational enough to just fix it. It makes no sense.

Thing is, match-ups are arbitrary numbers the put it in your head that X character will have a Y amount of advantages against Z character. We know our character's weaknesses and we work to compensate for them. They don't factor in human error and thought processes. Sure, Luigi doesn't do very well against Marth and MK, but it doesn't mean he can't fight them. I get blown open by MK left and right and I keep playing the match-up because 1. I like trying new things against MK. 2. It keeps me busy and alert. Brawl gets boring when it turns into a non approaching campfest. Honestly, people are more afraid of Luigi than you'd think. 3. MK is a basic *****.
They're arbitrary, but I give them a good bit of weight. It's probably a bad thing to do, but that's just the way I think: There's only so much a character can do, and I don't think it's hard to compare X traits vs. Y traits and figure out who's most likely to come out on top (a MU ratio). You've got a point with human error and thoughts, but it works both ways, and I get mad at myself when I choose a character in a matchup that I believe relies on your opponent will messing up severely to win (Luigi vs MK or Marth). When I know I'm fighting an uphill battle for what I deem as stupid reasons, I beat myself up about it. I stopped playing Luigi's worst MUs because I just got tired of the constant uphill battles for no good reasons in my book. Competing on an even, advantaged, or as close to even as possible battleground is much more interesting to me than constantly being forced to work harder for less consistent rewards. I only pick the character now when I'm screwing around, going for flashy things, or I think I can use him as a pocket to mess someone up. I've changed over the years to end up flat out hating Brawl Luigi's style. Mario is **** too, but I feel that in 90% of situations, I'd rather be him than Luigi.

MK can be basic and still get away with silly things vs. Luigi because he just can't punish or respond to some of MK's options.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Mistake from day 1 and I still beat myself up over it, and I'm not rational enough to just fix it. It makes no sense.

They're arbitrary, but I give them a good bit of weight. It's probably a bad thing to do, but that's just the way I think: There's only so much a character can do, and I don't think it's hard to compare X traits vs. Y traits and figure out who's most likely to come out on top (a MU ratio). You've got a point with human error and thoughts, but it works both ways, and I get mad at myself when I choose a character in a matchup that I believe relies on your opponent will messing up severely to win (Luigi vs MK or Marth). When I know I'm fighting an uphill battle for what I deem as stupid reasons, I beat myself up about it. I stopped playing Luigi's worst MUs because I just got tired of the constant uphill battles for no good reasons in my book. Competing on an even, advantaged, or as close to even as possible battleground is much more interesting to me than constantly being forced to work harder for less consistent rewards. I only pick the character now when I'm screwing around, going for flashy things, or I think I can use him as a pocket to mess someone up. I've changed over the years to end up flat out hating Brawl Luigi's style. Mario is **** too, but I feel that in 90% of situations, I'd rather be him than Luigi.

MK can be basic and still get away with silly things vs. Luigi because he just can't punish or respond to some of MK's options.
Sometimes you have to be unconventional. I'll tell you now that crouching vs Marth has some pretty nifty advantages. It allows Luigi to get under Fair and mess up his spacing just enough to get shieldgrabs. Despite how ****ty Luigi's fireball is, it still annoys the **** out MK. When you factor in that MK actually has to RESPECT fireball, you'll realize you can get MK to do a little bit more of what you want. Nado doesn't even bother me that much, now that I've experimented with ways to get around it. I enjoy the challenges they bring. Hell, I'd rather play against the whole top tier than any of the lower tier. Falco/Wario/Marth/ICs/ZSS/Diddy/MK and occasionally Snake are more fun than fighting Mario, Fox, Wolf or DK. Maybe it's because they are one trick ponies and I want more variables. Still, play against a Marth. Just do it and play to learn. It's a hard fight, but you'll learn more way around Marth than he'll learn around Luigi. That's the thing about lower tiered characters, their disadvantages will make you think and you'll start thinking more and more outside of the box. Look at Mr. Concon, YoshQ and Boss, they don't have conventional Luigis by any stretch of the imagination.

yoshq

Smash Master
Excel that's like the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my Luigi, thank you.

& yes I beat myself up too. Like you wouldn't believe. & I set the high expectations too.

Also, Dariel, how the **** am I supposed to continue while not playing against wifi kids? I play wifi because I have no other options. If I were to go to tournaments, I would just feel like **** because I would enter bracket and lose. On wifi at least I can play the closest thing to casual that my brain can get. Besides just playing my stupid friends.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Excel that's like the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my Luigi, thank you.

& yes I beat myself up too. Like you wouldn't believe. & I set the high expectations too.

Also, Dariel, how the **** am I supposed to continue while not playing against wifi kids? I play wifi because I have no other options. If I were to go to tournaments, I would just feel like **** because I would enter bracket and lose. On wifi at least I can play the closest thing to casual that my brain can get. Besides just playing my stupid friends.
There are top players that play online to practice. Play against Tom (DLA) more. He's a perfect example of someone that plays online to keep his rust off and he also plays a handful of characters at a high level. If I had a Wii (and more free time), I'd be playing wifi a bit more against players that know the difference between offline and online. I got lucky in living with Pwneroni while I was in Oregon and playing DeliciousDave; the number 1 ranked player in Colorado. Despite my disadvantages, I still played Luigi vs GW and learned more about the match-up that I either didn't remember or flat out didn't know. Hell, when British Columbia came to house with us, I played Big D in Luigi vs IC friendlies for at least an hour and a half. When I went to that tournament in Portland, I went 0-2 in both doubles and singles, but I left a pretty solid impression on the people I played. That alone made me feel better than actually placing well. Gotta break out the crazy **** sometimes.

One thing that separates me from most players is that fact that I'm completely content with sitting in training mode and just goofing off and practicing my tech skill. B-Reverse Fireballs, ledge canceled Fireballs, options out of UpForward Fsmash, Rising Weegee Nado spacing, offstage jumpless Weegee Nado, Fullhop Green Missiles, B Reverse Ledgehop Fireball and a bunch of other random ****.

yoshq

Smash Master
Yeah... I hate practice mode. I can't do it for more than 5 minutes at the most. & I thought you were saying not to play on wifi, but maybe I read it wrong. & I don't want to get better. Right now I want to try to play the game just for fun and not be so competitive. Although that requires a fundamental personality change of course so it won't happen for awhile.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Yeah... I hate practice mode. I can't do it for more than 5 minutes at the most. & I thought you were saying not to play on wifi, but maybe I read it wrong. & I don't want to get better. Right now I want to try to play the game just for fun and not be so competitive. Although that requires a fundamental personality change of course so it won't happen for awhile.
Look at it as becoming a better Luigi. I'm a bit of a character purist; I play my characters until I learn all I can learn about them. Play people in friendlies and come up with goofy ****. Just do it for the sake of being able to do it. I've been treating every match-up as a mission and I try to S rank that mission. Maybe you need to get stoned or drunk and play Luigi. lol

yoshq

Smash Master
Yeah when I'm stoned or drunk it helps me be less competitive. And I do think of new **** in friendlies. But I can never do that practice mode stuff. Yeah, it's becoming a better Luigi, but it's just so incredibly boring. I lose focus in like 30 seconds. All the tech skill practice I get happens in the wifi waiting room or between stocks pretty much. lol

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Yeah when I'm stoned or drunk it helps me be less competitive. And I do think of new **** in friendlies. But I can never do that practice mode stuff. Yeah, it's becoming a better Luigi, but it's just so incredibly boring. I lose focus in like 30 seconds. All the tech skill practice I get happens in the wifi waiting room or between stocks pretty much. lol
Here's a trick to it: Do it for like 5 or 10 minutes a day. Trust me, my attention span is pffft. Like super bad. So 5-10 minutes of goofing off is usually all I can do. Sometimes, I'll just leave the Wii on and do something else and when I get bored, I come back and fiddle around with it. Practice SDI with Smart Bombs or DI with Bob-Ombs. Just random things. Maybe it's because I have ADD that I do such silly things. But I'm sure you can find a method that works for you. Everyone doesn't learn the same way.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
got 17th out of 55 at golden coast, regional cali tourney. There wasn't any pools, so the seeding for everyone was a bit inaccurate. Beat Falln 2-0. Rich left after he lost mikehaze (the match after mine), and was set to play falln in losers, so that let falln place way ahead of me haha

Winners bracket:
beat kdash 2-0
beat falln 2-0
lost to rich 1-2

The match vs richbrown was... pretty hype... game 3 last stock both in kill range.. vids should be up soon
I banned the wrong stage for game 2... lol

Every MU is 50:50.

oh and I saved a good match of me vs Rich's MK on my sd card. May upload it if you guys want to see it. Cheers
So I beat Richbrown to... his mk.... on wifi..... on castle siege.

In all seriousness nice job.

BSP

Smash Legend
If luigi does Dtilt and the opponent trips, is up B guaranteed? I don't remember.

I'll just try it next time it happens I guess.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Even though i don't play with luigi anymore, i still got mad respect for him and you guys for maining him. +1 for support

:pow:

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Right back at you for maining Mario and having that innate knowledge on how to space forward smash well.

BSP

Smash Legend
It took me a while to realize, but I did: Luigi is always 3-4 hits and a misfire/shoryuken from coming back in a match.

At whobo this past weekend, I went Luigi in mid tiers because I didn't feel confident in any other option, and I'm glad I did. I started doing what Excel mentioned, only after my first match >_< I wasn't thinking during my match against Ness. Fireball beats general Fairs, and I didn't execute my whiff punishes well enough. That's what I started doing later in bracket: punishing whiffs or doing nothing, and remaining unpredictable. I actually had fun for once.

I also had some of the dumbest misfires of my smash life lol.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Sounds like you're getting in the groove. Misfires come when you groove, BSP.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
It took me a while to realize, but I did: Luigi is always 3-4 hits and a misfire/shoryuken from coming back in a match.

At whobo this past weekend, I went Luigi in mid tiers because I didn't feel confident in any other option, and I'm glad I did. I started doing what Excel mentioned, only after my first match >_< I wasn't thinking during my match against Ness. Fireball beats general Fairs, and I didn't execute my whiff punishes well enough. That's what I started doing later in bracket: punishing whiffs or doing nothing, and remaining unpredictable. I actually had fun for once.

Did you see steep at hobo?

:pow:

Exceladon City

Smash Hero

You should pressure Ness with Bair. It can trade with Fair and Ness will lose that trade. Once you have a decent % on Ness, you generally want to focus on staying under Ness because he doesn't have very good landing options against Luigi. I don't know if you use it often, but Weegee Nado isn't very effective against Ness due to Fair and PK Fire.

mrconcon

Smash Cadet
Look at this low tier go

August

Me vs Richbrown. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIzmnAMBvz4

Doubles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVRWLGuYVVo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsEUzcni1Xg

October

Singles

Vs Larry: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/469987546?t=3h10m05s

Doubles:

Winners Semis: MrConCon + Slayerz Vs Larry + Tyrant: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/469987546?t=12m00s

Grand Finals Set 1 and Set 2 MrConCon + Slayerz Vs Larry + Tyrant: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/469987546?t=1h12m00s

Enjoy. I'll be attending the Apex Qualifier Cali Regional next month. Cheers

Got 2nd in Dubs with Slayerz (Peach), 2-0'd Tyrant and Larry in Winners, GF1 2-3, GF2 We were up 2-0 and port priority screwed me over in a 2v1 vs Tyrant last stock all high percent.

There's more technical kills vs Larry (Frame perfect stuff), but you guys see how much potential Luigi has. cheers

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Man the commentators on that match against Larry are so lame, why is it that the rest of the community calls legit Luigi techs shenanigans? Our character is so underrated.

mrconcon

Smash Cadet
Man the commentators on that match against Larry are so lame, why is it that the rest of the community calls legit Luigi techs shenanigans? Our character is so underrated.

I can only imagine how Keitaro would have reacted if he commentated my match vs Larry... Those Frame perfect Up-B's and gimps haha

I would've died if you had gotten that misfire vs. Larry in your singles match.

I'm thinking I could have SDI'd his D-air into the stage and teched and he would have lost, ill try that next time lol

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
i won a tourny recently yaaaaaaaayyyy here's some vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzeVQ5B2M2k Winners finals v marth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyOtwibfRFA Grand Finals v wario

comment enjoy love me kiss me make me feel good plzzzzz <3

probably the last tourny i'll do well in before smash 4 comes out. how many of you fools will still be repping the luigi mang when it comes out? my tournament activity in that game will be sparse (probably just a handful of them here and there) but you better bet yer BOTTOM DOLLAR i'm repping the luigi. pink if possible

xoxo zhao

Luigisama

Smash Champion
i won a tourny recently yaaaaaaaayyyy here's some vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzeVQ5B2M2k Winners finals v marth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyOtwibfRFA Grand Finals v wario

comment enjoy love me kiss me make me feel good plzzzzz <3

probably the last tourny i'll do well in before smash 4 comes out. how many of you fools will still be repping the luigi mang when it comes out? my tournament activity in that game will be sparse (probably just a handful of them here and there) but you better bet yer BOTTOM DOLLAR i'm repping the luigi. pink if possible

xoxo zhao
wow nice job. So you beat Croi. It's good to see you overcame that match up.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
So on Saturday I entered Brawl for the first time since July... god why is brawl SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW?

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman

I saw that match and you were really close. I actually have someone in my group who plays ness, and all the stuff Excel said is right. Also try to bait pk fire, if he misses that move has terrible ending lag, so you can do a short hop falling nair into usmash for a lot of damage. Also I'm not sure if jab to up b is guaranteed on ness, but from the ness players I've played I get it almost all the time.

Also I'm happy to say I beat my first NE PR player this weekend.

yoshq

Smash Master
Nice games ConCon. I think in no time you will be beating multiple top players.

Tips: use down throw. It is a frame trap at like any percent. So many options and strikes more fear into opponent's heart than bthrow.

mrconcon

Smash Cadet
Nice games ConCon. I think in no time you will be beating multiple top players.

Tips: use down throw. It is a frame trap at like any percent. So many options and strikes more fear into opponent's heart than bthrow.

Thanks, I've already beat a lot of top players, its just been recently that like vs Richbrown or Larry that I beat them game 1, get ***** game 2, then adapt and go last hit game 3 lol

Luigi is at least high mid tier or top tier from the potential you see in my latest match (Vs. Larry), all those Up-B's were frame perfect and can be abused on any character. I even did it a bunch of PSC-OoS Up B's on Tyrant during doubles. But I'm cool with him staying in the "low tier" just so I can play in those tournaments :]

And for downthrow, the frame traps are sorta 50:50 in a sense that if they just air dodge with a jump immediately then you can't punish with a Up-smash or anything that would hit if they just air-dodged to the ground. also it can collide or get beat with moves (like MK's D-air). Downthrow -> uptilt is guaranteed at low percents on most characters, but I like forwardthrow to sweep-cyclone cuz why not. So I would rather just go for a more damaging throw and have take more stage control than getting a 2-hit string.

If you want to play at top level with Luigi: Master everything in your play-style to be frame and spacing perfect. Know what works and what doesn't work. Challenge what people say doesn't work and find new ways to counter everything. Experiment.

Spacing and Frame Perfect - most annoying match of my life recently: vs Falln in winners bracket. All he did the whole match was consistently space B-air perfectly on my shield until it was low and then he would fsmash when I was at kill percent. I had to adapt and Powershield every single b-air and I punished with Up-B, down-smash,etc. The last match went to last stock, last hit, and ended with him bair-ing then I PSC -> F-TILTED (yolo option) and he flew across the whole stage of FD and died.

So yeah just be a robot.

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
Glad to know I'm not the only one who struggles to with kirby. I recently beat hinkage but lost to kiwi.

Top Bottom