• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Social Thread

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
How do you guys stay good without practicing? Is it possible? I don't have a wii anymore (and haven't since I moved to the east) and I've been playing like a huge ****** at every tournament I've gone to. I know some people stay on their game without playing and stuff, but I have seriously gone way downhill even since summer.

Help?

Also <3 lou and koro

HyL!

Smash Lord
i usually play a lot better when i only play like a couple times a week, but i went around 3 weeks without playing and did absolutely terrible, i have nothing :/

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
so i went to a tourney today. i was planning on going olimar/wolf, but i hadnt played wolf in a while so i didnt feel comfortable doing it.

round 1 was lee martin, so i played it super un-serious. took his metaknight down to only 1 stock with olimar in game one. game two he 3 stocked my falcon (lmao) with diddy. we played game 3 for the lulz, but i dont remember it.

first game in losers, the guy picked peach, so i picked luigi. the oli/peach matchup is super gay. i beat him with luigi, and it felt nice. he went rob, so i went back to olimar, like i had planned to go all tourney, and i almost won. choked game 2 and 3 and lost. :(

luigi da bess

BigLøu

Smash Lord
How do you guys stay good without practicing? Is it possible? I don't have a wii anymore (and haven't since I moved to the east) and I've been playing like a huge ****** at every tournament I've gone to. I know some people stay on their game without playing and stuff, but I have seriously gone way downhill even since summer.

Help?

Also <3 lou and koro
Honestly, every single person is different going into a match. I will give you the same advice a friend of mine gave me a long time ago.

At the beginning of my days when I first started out playing brawl in early 08. I hardcore practiced everyday and played constant non stop wifi. I'm talking at least 5 hours a day playing on ladders, friendlies, and some offline smash fests. I go into every match looking to win and looking to win by as much as possible.

Of course that is where I make my first mistake. I looked only to win. Now what you may be thinking is why would you NOT be looking to win every match. Of course winning matches is the ultimate goal, but looking only to win tends to lead to stale game play in heated matches.

Perfect example, an mk spamming d smash going for the kill. This guy wants to win and end that match as quickly as possible to avoid further frustration and be able to reset themselves for the next game and start fresh being up a set. The other player slowly notices this trend and begins to learn/adapt to this style and builds up damage. Learning at an instant here overcomes the eagerness of the mk to win and the other player manages to scrape a win.

Learn while you play, calm yourself down in matches and do not fish for any type of kill at all. The kill will come.

As for staying good without playing, that mainly relies on yourself. Each human is different in memory and execution that it solely depends on said players output. Perhaps players can retain knowledge of the game at the last standing position of where they we're previous to when they stop playing. Hey, sometimes it's good for the person to get away from playing and practicing and come back with a fresh mind and may be able to adapt to situations better. They don't really though get better from not playing, they just don't get worse. They are right where they left off. And for the top players, it's being at the top.

Some players need to play a lot to implant the memory and experience into the mind to be able to continue to execute it consistently. The best thing for you to try is experiment. See what part of the match goes wrong for you and where you're being punished the most. Sometimes a break can make you see the game differently, but don't hope for it to change a lot.

Nothing goes without practice in the end I say.

Just my two cents

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
oh excellent read
Ya know you pointed out a lot of things that are absolutely essential for me to work on. Its hard to play to learn when my only matches in a given month are actual tournament sets, and before I can get better at auto correcting myself mid match I have to get back into the swing of things in general. Everyone tells me I have these certain habits bringing me down.

1) Spot dodging up close - Tant suggested I actually change my controls to stop myself from doing this all the time. Gonna make L special so instead of spot dodging I tornado until I break the habit.

2) Approaching like a ****** - If I get camped really hard I get frustrated and throw away stocks. Ugh.

Anyway I'm going to try and take your advice to heart, lou. Because I feel like you sort of rose up out of nowhere and joined the ranks of the top players, and any luigi can do it if the proper steps are taken... right? We need more legit discussion up in here so if anyone else has advice please help me out, I'm a frustrated weegee main right now :(

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Post up some vids Luigiking if you want critique on any habits you have. Us Luigi mains can probably point out some better options for you in situations where you tend to lose the lead or where you get punihsed the most.

Or hit me up on wifi sometime and we can play some Luigi dittos(if you ever get a wii again)

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
@boss agreed
@lounis agreed
@luigiking, try practicing powershielding it helped me break my 3 yrs of spotdodge habit, and just dont run, just calmly walk, if u run, u panic alot and panic = spotdodges

and just remember to be calm parry everything thru and get inside and give them the biggest dunkin donuts **** theyll ever have

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
OF COURSE I DID U ****ERS, I WON MONEY FOR FIRST TIME (EVEN THO I GOT CARRIED <3)

I MEAN, SRSLY COME ON, HD VIDS TO SEE CARMELLA BING AND GIANNA MICHAELS WHO WOULDNT SPEND MONEY ON THAT?!?

also @ famous, pword is luigimaster69

the username youll have to figure out

LOLLLL

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
*facepalm* *facepalm* *facepalm* *facepalm* *facepalm* *facepalm* *facepalm*

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
yo, i was gonna make a big luigi guide-type thing a few months back with videos and the whole shibang, but my computer got boned and then i lost interest LOL

anyways i found a vid i was gonna use that YoshQ recorded for me. it's pretty useless and very situational, but it looks kind of shnazzy if you pull it off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD-sJruZ4yU

I do it once at around 0:20, then a couple more times around the 1:00 mark.

i know, i suck at teching.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
lmao everyone comes in here just for the username and password.

gg zhao.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Today

DUDE
Josh is online.
Today

wut
lol

yoshq :i can't figure out your username >_<

me:what
site