• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Match-Up Discussion [12TH ROTATION: King D3] Updated 8/10/08 FINALLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
Maybe if it didn't rotate so frequently. =/

And the Luigi boards as a whole doesn't even get as many as we think so Maybe stretch out the characters an extra 2 days or so.

VEC

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu my other main along with Luigi ever since 64. I think Pika is a 6/10 because his thunder owns in the air and he is faster on the ground. His projectile also has more range and is faster. So 6/10 only a little advantage.

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
Man...I freakin hate pikachu (Sorry Vec lol) but thats probably cause I main Snake and thats one of his worst match ups...Pikachu like...gives me nightmares...

Well, his dmash is a real *****...its pretty much INSTANT with no starting lag, and it eats shields, but you should always DI to the left or right, usually towards the stage if you can, so that you don't go straight up and get Thunder killed.

Even with a air aerial machine like Luigi, pikachu is extremely hard to fight off stage. His quick attack allows him to recover to the stage extremely fast and also allows him to jump out of harm's way. He's also a pretty good ledgeguarder...your aerials should out prioritize his but there is no getting through his forward smash...*shiver* When pika is going for a kill, know that its going to try to forward smash, upsmash and neutral air...upsmash and nair are extremely fast.

Eten

Smash Ace
Thunder shouldn't do a thing to you in the air. All you have to do is DI horizontally and airdodge it. Also Pikachu's projectile can be stopped by luigi's aerials and his tornado. Pikachu's real power against Luigi is his ultimate priority downsmash as a defensive option that will eat up any of Luigi's attacks. Because of this, pikachu is really a "wait and punish" kind of match-up. I use a mix of moves to bait Pikachu into a dsmash or some other move and then punish the ending lag with an aerial or walk to dsmash.

I don't think this is a hard matchup, 4/10, Pikachu doesn't combo luigi well to rack up damage, can't camp with thunderjolts that great vs. luigi, and starts to lose kill options pretty quickly when his thunder doesn't hit. His Fsmash has readable startup lag and I think you'd have to literally jump into it to get hit by it given that you're playing luigi.

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I must ask: Is the rotation a good method to do this? It keeps things quick and prevents it from going stale, and we can get all the characters in this way much more quickly. Also, once every character is on the list, the rotation starts over, so we can keep the info in the thread up to date. I'm willing to hear out any suggestions on how to improve this thread, if the rotation is too quick, let me know.

Eten

Smash Ace
I think it is good because with the ability to start over we're likely to see complete revisions and updates just 2 months from now, and things can change and develop quickly so it is great to be able to go through them this quickly.

TheMann

Smash Ace
I agree with Eten. I play against Anther almost weekly and he's most likely the best Pika in brawl. I think this match up is in Luigi's favor. Luigi destroys Pika in the air, more range and priority. Your smashes kill Pikachu at very low percentages too, and ofcourse so does up + b lol.

4/10 I'd say

CookieCrisp

Smash Rookie
Pikachu is ridiculously hard for me as luigi, as all he'll do is Dsmash, Fsmash, Dair, Bdown over and over, and over. There is no lag between someting like Thunder jolt and Dsmash so I get caught in it either shielded or un every time. Certainly at least a 6? Not to mention pika has a farther reach with it's smashes than luigi as well as speed.

Eten

Smash Ace
Ike is easy.

You don't need to ever approach Ike. Let him make first attack, then YOU punish. Pepper him with fireballs standing at a moderately close range until he has to approach. With the ending lag on most of Ike's moves(that's where he is slow, he isn't all that slow in attacks coming out), there are plenty of opportunities to punish him. He's heavy and friendly to combo- his Counter isn't as good as Marth's and seems to take longer to activate. I get more firejumppunches on Ike than any other character due to his ending lag on his moves- like his up-B move if used on the stage. Get behind him, once he lands take a quick step forward and get a firejumppunch. He also has that heavy ending lag on his fsmash and while landing many of his aerials, and others too.
His quickdraw recovery can be easily edgeguarded by simply jumping off the stage and getting in front of him. It then comes up short and he falls to his death, and you can airdodge the hit. For his aether recovery, all of his moves are too slow to be used off the stage and he falls to fast, while he has to be up to the stage for aether to work, you can again simply jump off and use a bair before he gets too close to the stage. This most likely leaves him too low or too far from the stage afterwards to successfully recover.
Fireballs, of course, mess up his quickdraws on the stage. His jab combo is very useful to him, and he will have to use it very often against your fireballs and such, but it is punishable as it forces him into a very predictable pattern that can be interrupted by a switch from a fireball to a tornado. Also, sometimes your jab or uptilt will clank with his jabs when up close- just keep spamming your uptilt until it pushes you apart far enough that you will miss the first two jabs and can then simply roll out of the way of the third jab.

Overall, I'd call Ike the king of newbs. His very strong attacks and KO power make it easy for an Ike of any skill level to destroy players who make big, simple mistakes. It doesn't take many mistakes for Ike to catch up with his power. But when even a very good Ike is up against a very good Luigi, Ike's slow, punishable moves against Luigi's fast, unpunishable moves and a perfect projectile for this sort of thing makes it very, very heavily in Luigi's favor. 2/10. If you're having trouble with Ike as luigi, there is a lot you can do to improve.

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
Ike outranges you with his sword. You have a projectile, sick aerials, pretty good priority attacks, and faster attacks. Wait for him to mess up, and do a f-smash or something with lag galore, and run in for the flamy uppercut of death, or take him into the air and beat him for 50+ damage. Not too hard, overall. I'd give it a 5, if your playing a smart Ike. Just make him come to you, and play by your rules, and YOU will win with flying colors.

VEC

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu and Luigi neutral, good call.

Ike, He PWNS your light weight with one Fsmash etc. DOn't let him get the better of you. Play Smart Thinkl, W8 and Punish

But you play Smart and Uptilt, Combo, Punish recovery, and Punish moves with UP B you win. Play Smart

Another Neutral 5/10

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
Make it 3/10 for me, Eten basically sums up all my points.

The jab and Counter make it a tad more difficult but not by much =/

VEC

Smash Journeyman
so we got 5/10 (2) 8/10 7/10 3/10 2/10
so 5+5+8+7+3+2= 30/60

so its a 5/10

Mabo

Smash Rookie
Well, Ike has definite range advantages over Weegee. That *******. His f-air outranges all of your aerials. B-air is similarly ranged, and is much quicker. His grab also outranges ours, which is pretty sad. He also has enough speed to hold a candle up to Luigi's. ****. But there IS some good news: there is a technique I've found that works (reasonably) well against Ike. You have to act like Sonic. Go in, attack, then GTFO!!!1! Throw fireballs, try being a bit campy. As hard as it is to be campy with Luigi, seeing as he only has ONE projectile move, you better get used to it, and running like a little chicken ****. You HAVE to, if you have ANY hope of beating that steroid-induced... superhuman.

Overall, I would say that it is 6/10. His range is really too much to deal with, even if he is terribly slow. Anyway, this is just my opinion

TheMann

Smash Ace
Ike should be pretty easy. Like Eten said wait and punish. Also spam that fire ball, theres nothing ike can do about it. Also Ike is easily gimped too.

3/10 I would say.

Eten

Smash Ace
I feel like we've got ratings all over the spectrum on Ike. Eh, well, two months from now when we revisit Ike again I guarantee he'll be rated an even lower average.

TheMann

Smash Ace
lol I think he wants to take it away because people are focusing too much on averaging out all the rankings.

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
Ike is easy.

You don't need to ever approach Ike. Let him make first attack, then YOU punish. Pepper him with fireballs standing at a moderately close range until he has to approach. With the ending lag on most of Ike's moves(that's where he is slow, he isn't all that slow in attacks coming out), there are plenty of opportunities to punish him. He's heavy and friendly to combo- his Counter isn't as good as Marth's and seems to take longer to activate. I get more firejumppunches on Ike than any other character due to his ending lag on his moves- like his up-B move if used on the stage. Get behind him, once he lands take a quick step forward and get a firejumppunch. He also has that heavy ending lag on his fsmash and while landing many of his aerials, and others too.
His quickdraw recovery can be easily edgeguarded by simply jumping off the stage and getting in front of him. It then comes up short and he falls to his death, and you can airdodge the hit. For his aether recovery, all of his moves are too slow to be used off the stage and he falls to fast, while he has to be up to the stage for aether to work, you can again simply jump off and use a bair before he gets too close to the stage. This most likely leaves him too low or too far from the stage afterwards to successfully recover.
Fireballs, of course, mess up his quickdraws on the stage. His jab combo is very useful to him, and he will have to use it very often against your fireballs and such, but it is punishable as it forces him into a very predictable pattern that can be interrupted by a switch from a fireball to a tornado. Also, sometimes your jab or uptilt will clank with his jabs when up close- just keep spamming your uptilt until it pushes you apart far enough that you will miss the first two jabs and can then simply roll out of the way of the third jab.

Overall, I'd call Ike the king of newbs. His very strong attacks and KO power make it easy for an Ike of any skill level to destroy players who make big, simple mistakes. It doesn't take many mistakes for Ike to catch up with his power. But when even a very good Ike is up against a very good Luigi, Ike's slow, punishable moves against Luigi's fast, unpunishable moves and a perfect projectile for this sort of thing makes it very, very heavily in Luigi's favor. 2/10. If you're having trouble with Ike as luigi, there is a lot you can do to improve.
This is an example of a really helpful, good post for this thread. If most posts were like this one, I'd keep the ranking system. Eten gave a rating lastly in his post, first giving detailed support as to why it was. Also, he wasn't caught up on it, like some people seem to be. Unfortunately, most posts aren't like this one...

Ike.......... IKE 7/10 he is hard, outranges, fast moves like Matumakka said, and you can punsih but if u coul;dnt 10/10 so

IKe 7/10
When I constantly see posts like these, the rating system seems more detrimental than adding support for a discussion.

And it seems the rating is held in WAY to much importance than other qualities. People will argue over something like "Dude, that match up is NOT a 5/10 dude its like 10/10" instead of arguing over things like "The tactics suggested in this thread against Character X are faulty, there are better options available."

Not to mention...

so we got 5/10 (2) 8/10 7/10 3/10 2/10
so 5+5+8+7+3+2= 30/60

so its a 5/10
Is the ranking really SO important that people have to go out of their way to do a math equation (which I am perfectly capable of doing...lol...) before the end of the rotation JUST to see where it was?

I'm not going to change it yet, but expect to see the rating system disappear within a day or two.

VEC

Smash Journeyman
If ratings are done, im done in this thread. Thats retarted
People give reasons to support it.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
^ You JUST proved Lep's point there. By leaving this thread you obviously cared the most about the rating than the actual strategy. It's deterring people from the ACTUAL gist of the Matchup Thread; to give Strategy on how to beat the whole roster of characters, not to give ratings on how just you think how hard they are in your view.

As for me, I'll try to put more insight into my posts.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
First let me say that the above image is Epic Win Vader pwns lol.

Anyways onto the Ike character match-up.

2/10 Seriously Ike's powerlevel in this match-up is under -9000...

Anyways as you should know Ike has more range than Luigi... So what? His attacks are laggy really laggy, and you also have a projectile which you can abuse against him. Just let Ike approach and then punish him and if he goes on the defensive side then empty short hop and DI back and then abuse his ending lag from any attack he tries to unleash. Once you have Ike in the air it's pretty much a hit hit hit hit hit hit and re hit game. Nair's, Uair's, Fair's, Bair's (my favorite in this matchup catches most Ike's of guard.)

As an approach I usually do what I said above but I also use the trusty Luigi Tornado for other approaches etc. Once I get in range I love to Utilt, Utilt, Utilt (if at low percents), then follow with a Nair or Uair and then depending on the angle the went Fair or Bair, and if they rised use my double jump to keep chasing.

Chase Ike offstage with bairs or fairs to gimp his recovery, just remember to do this before he unleashes his UpB attack. If he's in a range where he would use his side b to recover get in front of him and let yourself get hit... Even though you get damage you gimp his recovery and you get the kill...

The attack that you should watch from Ike is his jab combo but it won't be much of a problem actually. Remember your angled upsmashes and UpB's for kills at early %'s to take the match quickly but surely.

Remember your dodge and shield's for the occasional, jaja look he's F-smashing his gonna miss but then suddenly WTF he hit me type of thing... (wifi primarily lol)

As Eten said:

Eten said:
If you're having trouble with Ike as luigi, there is a lot you can do to improve.
Hm as for counter-picks, Battle Field is nice but my favorite's are Final Destination, and Lylat Cruise (Ike gets caught under the stage a lot of times and it's funny to watch.) Plus the platforms in Lylat Cruise give you aerial mobility.

-GourrY-

Smash Rookie
Ike is so slow, that one could spotdodge his attacks and have plenty of time to punish. When I want to finish an Ike, I just wait him to do any move, walk up to him and Firepunch him in the face (no jabs).
As many people already said, just watch out for his jab combo... bair is fast, but it is very easy to tell he's going to use it because he is jumping with his back turned to you, so Aidodge or Spotdodge. Fireballs and a Tornado during his charging animation stop Quick Draw approaches.
Try to dodge his attacks instead of beating them with power, range or priority
Getting hit by Ike hurts, but anyone who gets hit by him probably deserved it, like being Walock Punched in the face.
Pretty easy matchup, even easier than Cpt. Falcon and Ganondorf.

2/10

Eten

Smash Ace
Chase Ike offstage with bairs or fairs to gimp his recovery, just remember to do this before he unleashes his UpB attack. If he's in a range where he would use his side b to recover get in front of him and let yourself get hit... Even though you get damage you gimp his recovery and you get the kill...
You can airdodge his side-b recovery hit and still gimp him. He still comes up short and strikes at you, but you don't get hit. Of course, if you are in front of him in anyway when he releases his side-b he's pretty much gimped, but sometimes you don't have to take the hit for it.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
You can airdodge his side-b recovery hit and still gimp him. He still comes up short and strikes at you, but you don't get hit. Of course, if you are in front of him in anyway when he releases his side-b he's pretty much gimped, but sometimes you don't have to take the hit for it.
Didn't know that :laugh: still nice fact to point out.

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
a fireball also stops him

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
I'd give Ike a 2/10 as well. I can't count the number of Wi-Fi With Anyone matches I've had where an Ike user decides to hang at the edge of Final Destination, and I land a well placed Bair and grab onto the edge of the stage when Ike tries to recover with Aether. Very amusing gimps. :)

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
I think a lot of people are underestimating Ike's abilities. And I think this is due to the fact that a lot of amatuer players like to use Ike. Maybe because they are fanboys, but Ike is a difficult character to be good with right off the bat. Yes, he is slow and he's kind of laggy. But when he is played intelligently, he can be deadly. As VEC said, his f-smash kills at very low percents. I've played a couple really good Ikes in tournaments and they play him like no other Ike.

If you are playing a good Ike, then he won't be going straight after you. And the best way to handle Ike is to play defensive and wait and punish, but that is exactly his strategy against you. He knows some of his moves are laggy so he's not going to whip them out and give you a bunch of open opportunities. In fact a good Ike player will probably not use a few of his moves at all, just to avoid giving you too many open opportunities. Approaching Ike in the air has proven to have negative results. A short hop utilt from him will defend against anything you've got. He can also jump and charge B, which has SA frames I do believe. I'd say my favorite approach is fire balls, which I've already seen someone comment about above. Try to get in close to put together a utilt utilt nair combo. But don't try to force your way in, because Ike will punish with his quick jabs. If Ike hits you, don't try DIing back towards him with a bair. He will probably be waiting with a short hop bair of his own.

It's important to be patient in this fight. Sometimes you might get caught in a charged up f-smash and die really early on. Don't let that destroy your strategy. Stay back and try to lure him in, he's only got so many non laggy moves he can use. UpB kills are a great equalizer to his powerful fsmash. But if the opening isn't there, don't take it. Missed UpBs can be punished, especially with Ike. Don't forget how easy it is to gimp his recovery. But good Ike players know their recovery weakness and have come up with a couple interesting strategies to keep you back.

Overall I'd say Ike has the potential to be a 7/10. Watch your opponent in the first stock and see how he reacts to your approach. It shouldn't take long to know whether or not this Ike knows how to fight or if he's not much of a challenge. Remember your timing and strike with my personal favorite, Uptilted FSMASH! The poke.

Folt

Smash Ace
Two days... two days... and I can finally get SSBB.

On topic... kinda, I'd prefer to keep the ranking system... but I won't care about it if it goes away. After all, strategies are much more useful than a ranking system in my opinion... I hope Zelda is the next as my sister will likely main her, but I can wait for her turn to come up... and perhaps I will have a few tips as well... if the PAL version doesn't differ from the NTSC version.

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
I forgot to mention the ranking system. I think it is necessary but everyone should attempt to provide some strategy tips. Even if someone has a high ranking (9/10) there's always a way to win.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Ike is a good matchup against Luigi

Ike’s moves got higher priority over Luigi’s moves, with Luigi’s neutral B being the only exception. Examples:

Ike should be pretty easy. Like Eten said wait and punish. Also spam that fire ball, theres nothing ike can do about it. Also Ike is easily gimped too.
Ike can nullify Luigi’s fireballs and tornados with his jab, and each move of his jab combo suffers decay separately. So if the Luigi player insists on the spam of fireballs their damage will soon be marginal, while Ike will still have the most damaging moves of his jab combo (the kick and the vertical slash) at full efficiency;

As an approach I usually do what I said above but I also use the trusty Luigi Tornado for other approaches etc.
Ike can cancel Luigi’s tornados with his jab, leaving Luigi open for a jab combo or a front tilt, Quick draw has priority;

Conclusion: Ike can play both defensively as aggressively against Luigi.

Ike’s moves have greater range than Luigi’s, giving him preference in aerial combat. So Ike will almost always be the one to strike first (being combo’ed by Luigi’s aerials being the sole exception). Examples:

Luigi’s is returning to the stage in a high angle, Ike jumps straight into Luigi’s direction and Luigi air dodge so he wont get hit by Ike’s Fair, Ike double jumps into the opposite direction and immediately uses his Fair. The air dodge animation would be no longer in effect and the Fair would still hit because of it’s great range;

Ike has great aerial moves (Fair, Bair, Uair, Nair, Eruption, Aether) that have greater range than Luigi’s, immense hitboxes, different timings, and powerful damage.
• Fair can hit everything in a 200° angle and is the aerial move with greatest reach in the game;
• Uair has great horizontal reach, hitting targets in front, behind and above Ike. The hitbox stays in effect for a while;
• Bair is Ike quickest move and can be used in combination with RAR for greater efficiency. Can easily be spammed so Luigi’s should not try to hit him from behind;
• Nair: Best used to fend of aerial pursuers, can be auto-canceled;
• Eruption: Can hit everything around Ike, can be charged;
• Aether: Can be used for mind games because it stalls Ike in the air. If Ike can predicts when Luigi’s will be there when the pendulum animation is over, the very first hit from Aether will connect and Luigi is in for a wild ride.

Conclusion: If Luigi can air dodge Ike’s aerials, Ike is open for combos, if not, Luigi will fly like a free bird. So in the great majority of occasions, Ike is on offence and Luigi is on defense in aerial combat. The aerial offence of a good Ike consist in mindgames and the variated use of aerial techniques.

Ike is heavier than Luigi so he can sustain more damage and return to the ground quickly, where he has advantage on a defensive game.

• Luigi can’t be offensive against a good Ike; it will just give the openings Ike needs to land his most powerful blows;

Once I get in range I love to Utilt, Utilt, Utilt (if at low percents), then follow with a Nair or Uair and then depending on the angle the went Fair or Bair, and if they rised use my double jump to keep chasing.
• Ike can counter overly confident Luigis both in the air as in the ground. Shieldgrabs will result in grab attacks which will be used to recover Ike’s decayed moves;

As Eten said:
Hm as for counter-picks, Battle Field is nice but my favorite's are Final Destination, and Lylat Cruise (Ike gets caught under the stage a lot of times and it's funny to watch.) Plus the platforms in Lylat Cruise give you aerial mobility.
• Stages with platforms give Ike more options to position himself and more options of moves to land on an opponent;
• Ike has great edge guarding moves as well Aether means instant death to anyone (who isn’t Pit, Metaknight, Kirby and Jigglypuff at low percents) who is caught by it at the edge of the stage, ledgehop Bair too, ledgehop Dair as well. Fair and Dtilt work for edge guard but not as the moves I said before;
Conclusion: Ike doesn’t have a good recovery, but he can fend edgehoguers with Aether and Luigi’s recovery can be very well stopped by Ike.

Final considerations
Luigis must play defensively against Ike, or they will be countered and punished in mean ways. If anyone want to try it out, here is my friend code: 0817-3630-3112. Let's make it battlefield ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom