• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Match-Up Discussion [12TH ROTATION: King D3] Updated 8/10/08 FINALLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Hey! The past few days have been pretty much the same for me Leprechaun... except for the sex and drugs part... However I did get my girlfriend the play brawl for the first time^_^

On topic though, I think wolf is a pretty solid matchup against Luigi. The biggest problem is Wolf's blaster outranges Luigi's fireball, and I tell ya, it gets really annoying. A good wolf is also probably going to be able to shine out of a lot of Luigi's air combos. I play a decent one, he doesn't use any real advanced techs or anything, but those are the few things I notice that a good wolf probably would use. Luigi can really easily gimp wolf off the stage with his bair though, and that helps a ton. Wolf doesn't have an adequit counter to the tornado either. All things considered I would give this matchup a 6/10 for Luigi, but thats just me =p

luigidude90

Smash Apprentice
Lol, is it just me or has the Luigi community fallen apart? >.> 2 days over and hardly anyone posts here.
i think luigi mains just dont post much lol. i main him and what i do is come here and check everything about him but dont post often, so mabye thats the case.

LilWeegi

Smash Cadet
well since we are still on wolf i guess ill give my take.. although i wish i coulda done a TL one w.e :(

i think wolf is a 4/10 giving Luigi a slight advantage

i tend to find my self short hopping and Dairing in my approach, but you need to be careful because wolfs up smash sets u into the air above him where you don't want to be, so i usually tornado down onto him to clank his up smash or air dodge and when he goes for the up smash he has a little lag and leaves him self wide open for a firepunch, wolf is quick and strong on the ground so i always take it to the air asap, luigi has most priority in the air, watch out for wolfs Nair because it can throw of your combos pretty bad, but on the ground play a little bit of d to take it to the air, and if you can dodge his side smash or up smash it's open season for a fire punch, but where i feel luigi gains the biggest advantage against all species is off the stage/edge guarding, due to fur ***gotry it's very easy to edge guard species, they have a very easy to time up b that leaves them vulnerable and unable to recover any further with a fairly small range, i have just about mastered how far they can make it back and their timing so i Fair them untill they can't recover then get to the edge and watch them try and get back in a big failure of an attempt, i'd say wolf has the best chance of the species to get back vs weegi because his side+b goes up and not just flat, but it's easy to time and if your on the egde he's done for, i'd say both luigis and wolfs projectiles are too short of range for one of them to have an advantage in that department but luigi can spam faster while wolf can reflect so i'd say there is no advantage either way with projectile so i always play smashville or FD all in all it's an about even match-up but luigi has a slight advantage in better aerials (by far more priority and speed) and a better recovery making edge guarding a sinch

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
I'd have to say wolf and luigi are even. 5/10

Wolf's laser is incredibly frustrating as it breaks through luigi's fireball and even his tornado. And if you're playing a good wolf who knows how to use his laser, he'll mix in some short hot lasers with his ground lasers just to mess you up even more. In this case, you really have to approach from high in the air. Get in close to wolf and start your utilt combo. You can probably get 3-4 utilts in before using an usmash or nair.

There are two types of wolf players out there. The wolf that spams his laser. And the wolf that uses the rest of his moveset. The first one is due to a lack of true player skill. Spamming the laser can be effective, but you they need to mix in the rest of his moveset. If this happens, then the fight becomes more evenly matched. Wolf's fsmash range is unreal, but can become very predictable. In fact, if you figure out the exact range of his fsmash you can lure wolf into trying to hit you with it. Stand just far enough away for him to try it and when he does, dodge and deliver a rocket punch. Another interesting combo that works against spacies is short hop nair to rocket punch. Usually a short hop nair will just barely touch your opponent and send him just above your head. Right as they are about to touch the ground, take them out with a rocket punch.

Now for approaches. At anytime in the match, I feel the best approach to take is a short hop dair to nair. If wolf tries approaching with that fsmash you should be able to hop over it and dair him. This gives you a lot of control in the immediate area in front of you. I also like to mix a nair or fair in after the dair. The short hop dair can be used as a trick to make your opponent think you have missed your attack, but really you can pull out a fair or nair before you land on the ground.

Wolf can be challenged on the ground, with good dodging, you should be able to land a dsmash or an up angled fsmash. Luigi has the air game down, but a clever wolf will try to stick close to the ground. Good wolfs also like to try their side b off of the edge to get them in the middle of the stage. Predict this and punish the results. By mid match their laser spamming should be over with so you can mix your approach up with a tornado or two.

So once again, an even match with certain situations that you can take full advantage of. 5/10

BigLøu

Smash Lord
I would definetly say wolf has a slight advantage over lugii in this situation. 6/10 seems about right. Wolfs blaster stops luigi's cyclone, one of luigis best approaches, and bair has insane priority when spaced correctly.

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
Lol thank god someone posts. You can still post about TL if you want although it's been throughly covered already. It hasn't even been updated for like a week now T.T
my brain is melting. if someone wants to take everything useful that was posted about TL in a well thought out and organized post i'll just copy and paste it to the guide. that'd be awesome.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
Let's update and do DeDeDe.

Also we know there's infinites on Weegee so shaddap about that >:X

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Let me put my 2 cents about wolf...

I think hes a 7/10 diff rating.

If you guys haven't faced a dominating Wolf player, than you don't know how difficult it is to actually get close and punish a defensive spacing Wolf.

I was just at FAST1 yesterday for doubles and was left on a 1v1 3 times against a OOS Wolf player (not from FLorida).

I have played against Equi ( The top Wolf from FL) an let me tell you, when he can go b low for blow against M2K's Mk, than hes **** good. Equi is hard, and we usaully break 50/50 on our wins.

So, 3 1v1s in doubles. All 3 times I had more % than he did. He would space with his back kick than spam his laser. First match I lost, for I was knocked off the edge after a failed jab-up-B(just out of range...I thought I had him, thats why I tried) than on Tornadoing up near the edge (mistake), he SHbair me for the win.

Second match, I had 100 he had 80. I threw a fireball duing his spaceing Bairs, tornado, then read him in the air and baired. Off the edge, he tried to glitch hit me through the edge with his side b, and i punished with a up-b.

Third match, both this one and first match was at BF, second at Yoshis Is SSBB. I was left at 110, he at 80, We went blow for blow, but i made a few mistakes tryin to fit some nairs, and gettin punished by down sm ashes. I was at 140, he at 105. HE was spacing ofr alittle with bairs, then started to spam. I waited till he did a shbair again, then went in with a tornado. Read him in the air again, hit with a Fair. He got back on the edge, I, like a ******, tornadoed again, an he as a good player shielded throughout the nado an killed me with a d smash.

Ok, I would have beat his *** if 1: We were 1v1 starting at 0. 2: I second D3 an he would have been no contest.

Im just saying, Wolf is not easy to play against.

Oh and about D3. He is easily beaten if your are a good perfect shielder or very smart.

D3 tries to recover by not grabbing edge, position yourself right under, Perfect shield, side dogde, jab-up-b

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
PolMex! I didn't know you played Luigi and I didn't know you were at FAST 1 and I didn't know you live in FL! I didn't see any other luigi players there. how'd you do in singles? we should play sometime!

PolMex23

Smash Champion
PolMex! I didn't know you played Luigi and I didn't know you were at FAST 1 and I didn't know you live in FL! I didn't see any other luigi players there. how'd you do in singles? we should play sometime!
Lol LOl Lol OLoLOLolo

omg dude, where in hell where you????

Tragically, I couldn't make it today to singles =(, IM still depressed an plan on playin Brawl and Melee all night.

Dude, how could you not have seen me or not have known? Ask anyone from FL they wouldve told you about me xD.

Theres many more tourneys to come in which I will win or place top 3 because in singles...my Weegee ***** hard now. Only few chars i wont weegee with would be MK, Lucas, and a few Warios an Wolfs.

Where in lakeland? isnt that around Tampa

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Lol LOl Lol OLoLOLolo

omg dude, where in hell where you????

Tragically, I couldn't make it today to singles =(, IM still depressed an plan on playin Brawl and Melee all night.

Dude, how could you not have seen me or not have known? Ask anyone from FL they wouldve told you about me xD.

Theres many more tourneys to come in which I will win or place top 3 because in singles...my Weegee ***** hard now. Only few chars i wont weegee with would be MK, Lucas, and a few Warios an Wolfs.

Where in lakeland? isnt that around Tampa
Well I didn't last long in doubles so I split but I was there all day for singles. You should have been there! Wow, top 3? That's bold. But you said you wouldn't use Luigi against snake, MK and etc. Then that means your Luigi won't be top 3 cause if you are going to get that far you won't be using Luigi. Oh well, we should ditto sometime. Maybe you'll teach me something. I need to select a good secondary for DDD and MK matchups.

East Lakeland, it's between Tampa and Orlando.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Well I didn't last long in doubles so I split but I was there all day for singles. You should have been there! Wow, top 3? That's bold. But you said you wouldn't use Luigi against snake, MK and etc. Then that means your Luigi won't be top 3 cause if you are going to get that far you won't be using Luigi. Oh well, we should ditto sometime. Maybe you'll teach me something. I need to select a good secondary for DDD and MK matchups.

East Lakeland, it's between Tampa and Orlando.
Dude, No. I will teach u the ways against D3, and I will use Luigi against snake...depends how I feel.

My D3 an Luigi are = caliber.

Dude, we should get together sometime with a bunch of people. You should be the middle guy since your in between me an Orlando.

xD xD xD xD xD I wish I was at singles...I woulda smashed xD. But, geuss i gotta wait till next time. But hey, YEA!!!

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Dude, No. I will teach u the ways against D3, and I will use Luigi against snake...depends how I feel.

My D3 an Luigi are = caliber.

Dude, we should get together sometime with a bunch of people. You should be the middle guy since your in between me an Orlando.

xD xD xD xD xD I wish I was at singles...I woulda smashed xD. But, geuss i gotta wait till next time. But hey, YEA!!!
Yeah, we should totally get together and play. Offline is way more fun than online. I don't know how willing some of the guys would be to drive from orlando or the melbourne area but eh, you and I can ditto. Yes, please teach me how to fight D3 and avoid getting that standing chain grab of death. Let's try to plan a day. THere aren't any good brawlers in Lakeland, unfortunately. Atleast, i haven't found them yet....

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Every1 from Orlando, well atleast the 6 that I know, are willing to drive to your place. I held a smashfest at my house, and i had 15 people go there, all not from st pete.

Your much close to them then to me. Dude, Im serious for some practice. Im going to put up vids with me an my buddy JT, who is mad **** ROB. Weegee/D3 vs the only other good ROB ever.

Im wondering how to get the recorded matches off the wii onto the internet...any help?

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Every1 from Orlando, well atleast the 6 that I know, are willing to drive to your place. I held a smashfest at my house, and i had 15 people go there, all not from st pete.

Your much close to them then to me. Dude, Im serious for some practice. Im going to put up vids with me an my buddy JT, who is mad **** ROB. Weegee/D3 vs the only other good ROB ever.

Im wondering how to get the recorded matches off the wii onto the internet...any help?
Alright then, I'll try to pick a day or something in advance and I'll let you know about it and we can try to get as many people to come out as possible.

The only way I've been able to get recorded matches off the wii is by plugging in my digital recorder into the output of my VCR. My wii is input into the VCR so anything that is hooked up to my VCR will play on my camera and I can record video of the TV screen. Or if you can hook a camera up to the output of your TV and record anything coming off the screen. There's no way to get the replay off of your card directly, since it isn't a real replay, it just remembers all of your movements.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Please man, im so stoked about smash now.

Ive been slackin alittle before FAST1, but, man, is the Brawl community no ready for me.

Domination will come, im pissed. So excited for the upcoming tourneys now. I even changed my myspace layout to a more Smash theme xD xD xD. Good ****, but the more practice, the better we get.

More playing styles, more counters. So please, tell me when, cuz I can get like a guaranteed 4-10 people there whenever you say xD.

Ahhhh, August 2nd is Lolful in St. PEte....there goin to get pwned xD

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Please man, im so stoked about smash now.

Ive been slackin alittle before FAST1, but, man, is the Brawl community no ready for me.

Domination will come, im pissed. So excited for the upcoming tourneys now. I even changed my myspace layout to a more Smash theme xD xD xD. Good ****, but the more practice, the better we get.

More playing styles, more counters. So please, tell me when, cuz I can get like a guaranteed 4-10 people there whenever you say xD.

Ahhhh, August 2nd is Lolful in St. PEte....there goin to get pwned xD
Yes yes more practice. I'd like to dominate as well! What's your myspace name? I'll add you as a friend xD

I want to go August 2nd. Where is Lolful?

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Okay well this match-up guide died along with Mr. Drunk. Shall we continue? Sparked mentioned DDD so how about we move on and do him. Has anyone put together a good consensus on TL or Wolf? I can take a look back at the posts and put something together if you guys want...

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
D^3: 8/10 without Infinite, *ERROR*/10 with Infinite

DON'T GET GRABBED

Otherwise:
Watch out for DeDeDe's Tilts. FTilt is awfully Long ranged, DTilt can catch you by surprise, and UTilt is a killer at kills Weegee at...IIRC 103%. A few of your approaches WILL MOST LIKELY be shieldgrabbed if the DeDeDe knows what he's doing. If you're ognna tornado, make sure you're well away from him when it ends if he shields it. The king's Smashes are punishable by an FSmash and FirePunch, but watch out when you're attacking from behind; FSmash has a weird "earthquake" hitbox that might stop you from attacking him. Punish with an aerial move or an aerial FirePunch.

In the air, you always wanna stay level with the penguin. UAir and DAir are very good damage rackers and DeDeDe doesn't need much to kill you. However, I think your BAir outranges his BAir. I dunno. His aerials however have quite the ending lag from it so be sure to move in when he whiffs one. Except NAir. It's pretty fast. Watch out.

He dies at 64% with a grounded Fire Punch.

Fireballs will help here a ton despite Waddle Dee Toss. When he's offstage you an use him to disrupt his recovery for a while but it won't gimp him. Don't even think of Gimping DeDeDe; you can't.

So just keep your spacing and play on the defense. Once he's open you can get in and punish.

And stay away.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Lulz Mr. Drunk goes on AIM but too lazy and wasted to update this dam discussion. Anyone wanna voulunteer in making a new matchup discussion? Anyone? Omg. D3 = broken for Luigi hands down son. I got alot to say about him.

Luigi_1 you should make the conseuses cus you look like you know what your doing :D

Along with what I've got to say with D3.

Luigi's advantages

- Can juggle with utilts easily from 0-40%
- Can combo him easily due to his fat size
- Has greater ground game mobility
- Can punish D3's mistakes espically with a shoryuken
- Has a projectile
- Has great recovery but can't gimp very well on the way back to stage as D3's

D3's advantages

- Can live longer due to his immense big weight
- Has variety of projectiles that can distract/actually kill by surprise
- Has infinite but can't CG
- Multiple jumps and a huge vertical recovery
- Can edgeguard very easily and has nasty tricks on Luigi
- Ftilt/Dtilt shuts down ground-game approachs and espically with Tornado
- Has alot of grab range
- Easily punishs Luigi if not careful espically with Fair/Bair/Uptilt/sometimes a dash attack when you least expect it

This match is all about Luigi's defense vs D3's offense. Sooner or later it'll go to Luigi's offense vs D3's defense but take note you must be extremely careful and patient in handling your offense against him because he can inhale you and suicide.
D3's main tools on stage will be Ftilts, (shuts down ground game along with Dtilt), projectiles, grabs, shield grabs. Luigi's main tools on stages is Ftilt tornado, fireball, shield grabs, Bairs. In this match D3 has a better favor than yours. Luigi players will fear getting grabbed espically the infinite. Let's take a indepth look what D3's moves can do

- Ftilt is a great spacing tool. It shuts down ground game approachs, it clanks with your tornado approach and is sometimes followed up from a dthrow to mix up their grab game.

-Dtilt works the same as Ftilt but Ftilt is more useful and greater range to use

- Projectiles. He has a number of projectiles that have different uses and come out randomly. They can be used to distract/kill/pressuring you. Here's a quick tidbit on what projectiles do in his arsenal.

- You can attack waddle dees and waddle doos to refresh your moves. - Waddle Dees do 5%. Waddle Doo's do 7%. Gordo's do 22%.

- A Gordo can kill around 75%.

- Utilt has a hitbox and kills Luigi maybe late 90s %s or early 100%s and also is a anti-air attack tool and can kill!!

- Bair- Used as a general approach espically with RAR-ing. In the air, when he's back turned on you, this will be his main air offensive tool. He can WoP you offstage, can kill
can also combo to different other things, it come's out quick and generally almost has equal range as Luigi's Bair.

Fair - Same concept as Bair can kill at lower %s but is harder to hit with.

Upair/Dair- He swings his hammar above and bottom of him. It does mulitple hits and the last hit does alot of knockback. This will outprioritize when he's above/below you so beware.

- Inhale he likes to do it near edge of the stage espically if hes a stock up, likes to spit you out under a stage so that you'll be unable to recover or gimp you on the way back or just commit suicide if he's at high %s.

Upb - It has great vertical height, can spike you if your below him, and can kill badly.

- other random facts.

If a D3 really good D3 is falling, with his back to you, don't sidestep anticipating a Bair. He may mindgame you be doing a reverse inhale. Just shield, which will allow you to react as needed.

If you prefer to counter D3's UpB, jump and counter him in midair. It will probably cause him to challenge you more, and if he cancels, you'll have all the time that he needs to fall to recover from your counter.

Let's get this thing started.

As you know, D3's like to ftilt to space themselves. You can just SH to avoid all means and still do a Dair to Fair or just a lone Fair to keep yourself abit distanced. You can Fair his projectiles cept the Gordo. In this match, you'll have to rely on Luigi's defense because D3's will want you to go on the offensive so they can bust out the infinite on you.

Eventually you'll probably get infinited once or twice but as soon as you break free plan quickly on your next attack because you'll likely to be ko'd depending at what %s you are at.

Spacing is critically cruical in this matchup. You don't want to get shieldgrabbed or else that infinite will happen. Note that, D3's will like to mix up their grab game such as Dthrow to a Fsmash or dash attack to catch you off guard. Don't get into a spotdodge wars because you'll lose at that. His Fsmash has somewhat hard to punish because even if you have spotdodged it, it'll still leave a lil earthquake even behind him as well.

Your approach game is also cut in half as well because Ftilt/Dtilt clanks with Tornado.
So you'll want to do a SH fireball approach or a Dair to Nair approach to start off your combos. Also if hes throwing projectiles are you, you can always crawl your way to him and land a Dtilt on him and hopefully get a trip. But beware of doing Nairs because their easily shieldgrabbed. A utilt juggle is a great way to start racking up damage due to his immense fat weight, hes a fastfaller and it gives you a quick 30%-40% unless they jumped out of it.

As for fighting D3 offstage, don't try to gimp him. That's one of his best ablilties. He's a heavy weight, fastfaller, with alot of jumps and a huge vertical recovery that spikes you. D3's players will probably inhale you, spit you out offstage and will get ready for some aggressive gimping on you. They will usually WoP Bair you until your unable to recover or ko you OR they'll use a Fair to deal some big whooping damage since it has alot of knockback and damage but hard to land at times. If D3 spits you out, get ready for a charged green missle and aim for sweetspot edge. Another good quicktidbit is that if you land a misfire, and hit them towards the stage, it'll be a stage spike and a guratted ko espically in FD. Also, when your recovering with a rising tornado, since D3 is big for his fata*s, he'll be caught easily and be sent to a offstage angle forcing him all his jumps and his huge vertical height upb which will give you a opunnity to punish him. When your getting WoP Bair'd him, don't try to fight him but try to DI away from him since you'll have alot of space for it.

Di-ing away from D3 is very cruical. If your falling and hes right below him, don't try to challenge him with a Dair because his uptilt has a hitbox and can at moderately at 90%s or 100%s. They will try to mindgame you with their upb in either trying to land onto the stage or cancel it and grabbing on the edge. Dash dance to keep them guessing and yourself active will work as well. When he lands, there will be stars next to him damaging you so becareful of spotdodging that.

Try attacking D3 behind him so that you won't be shieldgrabbed and get infinite'd. Combo-ing him is alot easier, but his Nair can sometimes break it. Whenever I fight D3s, I try to get into a Dair to Nair , utilts and upair combo so I can rack up damage lighting fast or I'll try to get behind him or spotdodge and starting utilt ing him like no tomrrow.

To point of this, if you can handle a really offensive Mk player, then you can handle D3 as well because you'll want to be on the defensive side. If you can be patient too, space all your attacks as if your fighting a Marth's Fair, you'll be fine.

Camping, punishing, openings for a combos and patience will let you win in this matchup. Argueably D3 could be the 2nd or 3rd hardest matchup for Luigi since it out prioritizes him in almost everything and that he has a infinite on Luigi.

As for counterpicks, I'd like to pick probably a Lylat Cruise to mess up infinties, Battlefield for combos and avoiding projectiles, sometimes Luigi's mansion can help but can be tricky since it's known to be cave of life meaning D3 could live up to like 300%.

I'd give this matchup a 9.5/10 all in D3's favor however this matchup is not impossible for luigi to win

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
That's a great analysis hippiedude. Tomorrow after I get off work I'll see if I can put together a consensus on DDD. Did you want to give it a specific number score? Like out of 10?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Yea just do it exactly like Mr. Drunks but you can just quote my whole post and copy and paste it on to a discussion or somewhat. Also the diffculty rating the xx out of 10 is great. A summary update, on TL and Wolf will help greatly from looking back at the posts just IM me through via AIM (duh lol) I'll get the post on D3 fast.

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Another thing I just noticed is no one is really discussing possible stage counter picks. Any thoughts of counter picks for DDD?

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
Rainbow Cruise seems good cuz the constant scrolling stage will stop DeDeDe from infiniting you in one shot...

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
For counterpicks, I'd just go along with Lylat cruise because it occasionally tilts so it messes up his grabs. Rainbow Cruise is alright I guess. Norfair can mess up possible infinites because of the lava and how small the stages are. For personal preference, I go with Battlefield because i combo so easy on D3. I'll continue with my post on D3,

Luigi_1 make a summary for TL and wolf plz =D I'll do my best to get mr.drunk back on his feet on aim lulz.

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
The general consensus on Toon Link seemed to be that Luigi was at a disadvantage. However, I feel that Eten has made everyone feel a little different. He said 5/10. I think everyone can agree on...

Toon Link- 6/10

My reasoning is that while Toon Link's projectiles can be defended against, Luigi still has limited options for getting inside Toon Link's spammyness. Eten gives a good explanation of how to use Luigi's aerials against TL. I've presented two arguments here, both are shortened but get to the point. Note there is a counterpick stage selected by hippiedude. And he also presented a video, but I just left the link down where Eten put it. Enjoy.

Toon Link has the spamy arrows, bombs, and the boomerang. Don't underestimate his projectiles espically the boomerang, as it can go pretty far distance. The projectiles may tick you off but try to keep your cool. As for Counterpick stages, I'd suggest battlefield, because of the platforms, it'll help you setup utilts,upairs, and juggling and not to mention help even a lil avoid from projectiles. Your approachs may be rendered since Toon link basically outcamps you in terms of projectiles and that fireball and tornado can be canceled. .

The reason I say the projectiles are only a minor hassle is because all of Luigi's aerials can cancel or catch all of Toon Link's projectiles(and catching a bomb with a fair is faster than an airdodge too), and he can't spam projectiles faster than Luigi can attack nor does it put Luigi in a bad position. In addition, an aerial tornado will eat boomerangs and arrows and on the ground will clank with everything else Toon Link has except bombs. This means a shorthop aerial can cancel one projectile while giving you flexible spacing and no punishable lag, a falling aerial tornado can cancel out a second projectile and Luigi can tornado towards the opponent where at best the third attack or projectile will clank.

In addition, the aerial tornado's priority over Link's projectiles counters the effect of projectiles aiming at Luigi while off the stage. If you're off the stage and equal or lower than the stage where Link's projectiles are a problem because they will interrupt your attempts to green missile for distance, you'll lose height quickly and fall to your death. However instead of coming in low with the green missile and using the second jump, tornado and up-B to rise back up to the stage, a second jump to a rising tornado both gives you defense against projectiles and lifts you out of he projectile zone so you can fall and charge a green missile to sweet spot the ledge or come over the stage.

I say over the stage because Toon Link is one of the few characters that can potentially successfully ledge hog a green missile sweetspot through his tether recovery invincibility, and that means you need to be prepared to up-B after the green missile, or sometimes it means you can end up underneath the lip of the stage on the green missile lag, like on final destination, and are unlikely to be in position to up-B recover in time. These last two points- link's tether edge hogging and projectiles gimping your recovery are not inclusive to each other, and you won't have to recovery like this every single time. Very likely you'll be hit so where you are recovering from a height that is above the stage and these things won't be as much of a problem.

Toon Link's aerials aren't so much as better than Luigi's Aerials as they are equal. Before you get incredulous realize that both Luigi and Toon Link have fantastic aerials and is a real strong suit for both of them. For the most part, Toon Link's Aerials aren't as fast as Luigi's because they have more after-lag, his bair being the exception. Same thing with range, the range difference isn't all that different between Luigi's and Toon Link's aerials and with Luigi's Bair there basically is none. That puts them both largely on par with each other.
I think this video linked by hippiedude92 just two posts above
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odgSOi2jda4
Has a good example of the approach game that really goes on during the second stock, you see a lot of shorthop aerial spacing between the two players. One thing that VirtualVoid doesn't do that I would do is after one of those shorthops I walk into a downsmash(there is also shorthop aerial to falling aerial tornado-grounded tornado approach and dash to upsmash after a shorthop, but Void does those in the video). Mostly you can see the whole mix of shielding, shorthop double aerials, spacing with their aerial mobility, grabbing(an advantage for Toon Link, look to spotdodge it) that really makes up the majority of this match. Overall, favoring your Bair for this helps a lot, and I'm understating things a bit there. IMHO, if you can deal with the speed and spacing ability of Marth's fair, you can handle anything Toon Link has.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
You think we just make another thread instead of posting it here? We can always look this thread on the new matchup discussion and stuffs. Lol overall I think Eten's post > my post. Most of the TL's I've fought were on wifi and I got pissed at button lag lulz.

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Well I thought you would be able to make Drunk get his act together. ALl he has to do is simply copy and paste? I suppose I could do that on a new one...

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
Word, i'm about to do some hardcore copy and pastin right now

I like the fact that i'm refered to as Mr. Drunk. Makes me feel either really officially or gives me some inspiration to go to an AA meeting.

Regular updates on the horizon? Hell yeah. Well, maybe.

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Only a few people commented on Wolf, so it seems the average would have to be...

6/10

Counterpick stages: Battlefield, Lylat Cruise, Delfino Plaza and FD

i tend to find my self short hopping and Dairing in my approach, but you need to be careful because wolfs up smash sets u into the air above him where you don't want to be, so i usually tornado down onto him to clank his up smash or air dodge and when he goes for the up smash he has a little lag and leaves him self wide open for a firepunch, wolf is quick and strong on the ground so i always take it to the air asap, luigi has most priority in the air, watch out for wolfs Nair because it can throw of your combos pretty bad, but on the ground play a little bit of d to take it to the air, and if you can dodge his side smash or up smash it's open season for a fire punch, but where i feel luigi gains the biggest advantage against all species is off the stage/edge guarding, due to fur ***gotry it's very easy to edge guard species, they have a very easy to time up b that leaves them vulnerable and unable to recover any further with a fairly small range, i have just about mastered how far they can make it back and their timing so i Fair them untill they can't recover then get to the edge and watch them try and get back in a big failure of an attempt, i'd say wolf has the best chance of the species to get back vs weegi because his side+b goes up and not just flat, but it's easy to time and if your on the egde he's done for, i'd say both luigis and wolfs projectiles are too short of range for one of them to have an advantage in that department but luigi can spam faster while wolf can reflect so i'd say there is no advantage either way with projectile so i always play smashville or FD all in all it's an about even match-up but luigi has a slight advantage in better aerials (by far more priority and speed) and a better recovery making edge guarding a sinch
Wolf's laser is incredibly frustrating as it breaks through luigi's fireball and even his tornado. And if you're playing a good wolf who knows how to use his laser, he'll mix in some short hop lasers with his ground lasers just to mess you up even more. In this case, you really have to approach from high in the air. Get in close to wolf and start your utilt combo. You can probably get 3-4 utilts in before using an usmash or nair.

Wolf's fsmash range is unreal, but can become very predictable. In fact, if you figure out the exact range of his fsmash you can lure wolf into trying to hit you with it. Stand just far enough away for him to try it and when he does, dodge and deliver a fire jump punch. Another interesting combo that works against spacies is short hop nair to fj punch. Usually a short hop nair will just barely touch your opponent and send him just above your head. Right as they are about to touch the ground, take them out with a fj punch.
Wolf has great ground-game and aerial game but the thing is that his has more lag then Luigi's. All of Wolf's attacks start in the air so you may need to keep it ground-game once in a while. He's Dsmash,Fsmash, Bair , Dair and spike are his kill moves so watch out for those. You may need to watch out when recovering if a Wolf will try to spike you but since he's pretty easy to gimp and has horrid recoverys it shouldn't pose much of a problem. Wolf's approach's will come in most shorthops so you'll have to shieldgrab most of his to get around them. He's bair come's out quick and can kill too but Luigi's Bair just come's out quicker and has better range then his.
He's Fair kill's fairly high %, and sends you up vertically but it has ton's of landing lag so get a good up-angled fsmash and firepunch. He's Dsmash is one of his best kill moves and kills. His Fsmash has alot of range and kills too so watch out and space yourself. He's d-tilt can trip you too so becareful of that. He's shine may be annoying because it can reflect your fireballs and can be a combo breaker if used properly. He's
illusion attack is one of his recoveries and can be a kill move because it has a certain hitbox which can catch you off guard so don't get it by it's hitbox.
To win this, you have to get wolf off stage as much as possible so you can gimp him since his recoveries are fairly stiff. He's a fastfaller so you can juggle him with a Dthrow, to utilts and upairs. Keep the SH aerials in hand. Use up-angled Fsmashs it kills him around 85%~freshly and a go in for a firepunch when he uses laggy moves. It kills him around 55%~ or so. Use the WoP Bair against him to keep him off stage. Keep yourself moderately aggressive. I rate this 6.5/10 slightly in Wolf's favor, but in the right hands and right timing, a Luigi can overcome this spacey.
Hurry up and get Mr. Drunk to copy and paste this!

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
And hippie, your analysis of D3 was perfect. He needs to just copy and paste that whole post. It would be nice if we could analyze more characters like that.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Don't worry about that. I'll be doing that to most character that I have alot of knowledge off. Hell, I'm not even half done with my D3 post >_> I'm just uber lazy when I'm typing it down I get distracted lol. Also big credits to you Luigi_1 for copying and pasting our posts and giving some life and motviation to this thread yo =D!

Googogoggog update wolf and just copy and paste my D3 post :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom