• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

VillagerX3

Smash Cadet
It’s been a while, guys. I’m sorry I haven’t been online that much both in Smashboards and the discord server. I’ve been dealing with a lot lately but I will keep supporting Ashley. Keep up the hype!

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
It’s been a while, guys. I’m sorry I haven’t been online that much both in Smashboards and the discord server. I’ve been dealing with a lot lately but I will keep supporting Ashley. Keep up the hype!
That's fine. Your health is more important. I haven't been on Smashboards much either due to this drought being really bad. All we've been getting is red herrings like Crunchii's codes and that rumor that an image leak in the past was legit.

Both of which ended poorly for Geno. Looks like I'm winning that bet on the discord.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That's fine. Your health is more important. I haven't been on Smashboards much either due to this drought being really bad. All we've been getting is red herrings like Crunchii's codes and that rumor that an image leak in the past was legit.

Both of which ended poorly for Geno. Looks like I'm winning that bet on the discord.
And what, pray tell, is that bet?

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
And what, pray tell, is that bet?
5 people on the discord has to have a username that praises me if Geno doesn't get in :p

Which at this point with Incineroar being pretty much confirmed and only one direct left, I'm pretty sure he won't. No hate to Geno fans. Id be pretty sure Ashley wouldn't be in either if we were at this point with her unconfirmed.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
5 people on the discord has to have a username that praises me if Geno doesn't get in :p

Which at this point with Incineroar being pretty much confirmed and only one direct left, I'm pretty sure he won't. No hate to Geno fans. Id be pretty sure Ashley wouldn't be in either if we were at this point with her unconfirmed either.
But it sounds like you are going off of Verg, who has said there is a Square rep.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
But it sounds like you are going off of Verg, who has said there is a Square rep.
That is true, so I'm banking on it not being Geno. As for who, I'm not quite sure, could be a Cloud echo, Noctis, Terra, a dragon quest character, or Sora.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That is true, so I'm banking on it not being Geno. As for who, I'm not quite sure, could be a Cloud echo, Noctis, Terra, a dragon quest character, or Sora.
I don't think they would have there only two reps be the same character, so just an echo is unlikely. Noctis and Terra are also unlikely due to the fact that the FF logo is still that of FF7, making other FF outside that game unlikely. Dragon Quest is possible, but they don't have one iconic protag, and there was not alot of ballot support for any one character. So at this point it's between Geno and Sora, so I don't think the odds are looking favorably for you.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't think they would have there only two reps be the same character, so just an echo is unlikely. Noctis and Terra are also unlikely due to the fact that the FF logo is still that of FF7, making other FF outside that game unlikely. Dragon Quest is possible, but they don't have one iconic protag, and there was not alot of ballot support for any one character. So at this point it's between Geno and Sora, so I don't think the odds are looking favorably for you.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the logo used for Final Fantasy just the letters FF? If it were the meteor sure, but just the letters don’t really indicate only FF7 being represented.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the logo used for Final Fantasy just the letters FF? If it were the meteor sure, but just the letters don’t really indicate only FF7 being represented.
Okay, I made a slight goof. It's not the icon that shows it's exclusively FF7, but the fact that when they went over the FF folder in the music section during the Smash Direct, it was referred to as Final Fantasy 7 and not just Final Fantasy.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Okay, I made a slight goof. It's not the icon that shows it's exclusively FF7, but the fact that when they went over the FF folder in the music section during the Smash Direct, it was referred to as Final Fantasy 7 and not just Final Fantasy.
It's legit. Oh god what have. I done...

Alright so its up to Sora then. Hopefully Disney is cool aboutit.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I don't see a timeline where this game comes out and Geno isn't part of the base roster. Between the immense popularity (which is obviously an important factor in Ultimate's character selection) and the fact that Sakurai has had his eye on the character since Brawl, it seems that the (seven) stars have finally aligned in Geno's favor.

As far as the drought goes, I know we'll get something soon, considering the game should be going gold any week now, but considering the last news we got was Isabelle, I'm personally satisfied until the next bit of news drops. Between her and K. Rool, I'm on Cloud 9. Well...no, I'm on Cloud 7. Ashley (along with the other two) would've put me on Cloud 9.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think that could be due to several reasons.

The music selection might have been carefully redacted to avoid spoiling any surprises.

We might not get any music from any other title, but still a character.

Or we might indeed not get any FF character not from 7.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think that could be due to several reasons.

The music selection might have been carefully redacted to avoid spoiling any surprises.

We might not get any music from any other title, but still a character.

Or we might indeed not get any FF character not from 7.
If they wanted that they would not have scrolled over FF in the first place. By us seeing that there was still only two songs and it still being FF7 only, it caused disapointment and negativity towrds that part of the game. It almost felt like what they did with some of the AT disconfirmations, making sure to wrip the band aid off early rather than have us stew over it for too long.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't see a timeline where this game comes out and Geno isn't part of the base roster. Between the immense popularity (which is obviously an important factor in Ultimate's character selection) and the fact that Sakurai has had his eye on the character since Brawl, it seems that the (seven) stars have finally aligned in Geno's favor.
I have the same thoughts. Right now I'm having the same gut feeling on Geno as I had about K. Rool before he was announced, so I'm 99% percent sure Geno is going to be in the game.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I never thought Geno was likely, tbh. Fan favorite or not, he does nothing for SE. It's like asking DC to use Tyrannosaurus Reich in a comic Cross over without going for Batman and Superman. However, that's just me.

I'm banking on the SE rep being from Dragon Quest (Specifically Erdrick, Eight or the Luminary in that order). You can't have a game like Smash (A literal video game Museum for all things Japanese gaming) and neglect Dragon Quest, the literal genera definer of Console RPGs. A Legendary series like that absolutely deserves recognition and is the reason several of the series already present in Smash even exist.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
I never thought Geno was likely, tbh. Fan favorite or not, he does nothing for SE. It's like asking DC to use Tyrannosaurus Reich in a comic Cross over without going for Batman and Superman. However, that's just me.

I'm banking on the SE rep being from Dragon Quest (Specifically Erdrick, Eight or the Luminary in that order). You can't have a game like Smash (A literal video game Museum for all things Japanese gaming) and neglect Dragon Quest, the literal genera definer of Console RPGs. A Legendary series like that absolutely deserves recognition and is the reason several of the series already present in Smash even exist.
That's why I think Geno has to be in the base game. When DLC rolls around I'm sure the Switch version of Dragon Quest 11 will almost be done and there's no better way to promote the game then my putting a Dragon Quest character like Erdrick to make sure the series can keep getting released in the west.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Someone already mentioned this before, but I really don't think it would be a good idea to call Geno a "lock". Let's do a mental exercise. Think of Metroid. Think of the essence of Metroid, what you like about the worlds, the music, everything! Think of the characters. Samus and Ridley are probably the first few you think of. Dark Samus probably shows up if you go a little further. Now think of Donkey Kong. DK and Diddy jump out for sure. King K. Rool follows close behind. How about Legend of Zelda? Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf all jump to mind immediately. Pokemon? Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo all instantly come to mind, with Lucario and Greninja showing up later. Let's try Mario! …How many characters did you think of before eventually coming to Geno? Geno's problem isn't a lack of interest or potential. It's that he's essentially a historical footnote in a series with a pantheon of regularly used and beloved characters. He's overshadowed by several characters in his own series to the point where people can easily be hardcore Mario fans, and never know who Geno is. This is something that most characters have never had to deal with before their inclusion. If you were a Donkey Kong or Metroid fan, you at least knew who K. Rool and Ridley were. Can you honestly say the same for Geno? Geno's still got a shot, sure. But I'm honestly skeptical of his chances. He's truly unlike the majority of characters in Smash and doesn't have developmental shenanigans to sneak on by like Dr. Mario. If Geno got in, it would certainly be special. He would pretty much be the Roy (FE) of the Mario series in that he's more popular and well-known among Smash fans than fans from his home series.

Enough about Geno for now though. I still have a feeling that Ashley might have a shot for DLC.

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Well looks like lost the bet :(

Even then the roster looks pretty good now. Definitely better than just Incineroar and one other wild card

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Here's a new adorable Ashley promotional video for WarioWare Gold:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Well looks like lost the bet :(

Even then the roster looks pretty good now. Definitely better than just Incineroar and one other wild card
Personally, I'm not sold on the mural yet. I need a smoking gun. Not a specific set of circumstances.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
It's a wait and see thing with the leak. I find it hard to believe they would save 7 characters for the final Direct.

As for the video it was pretty good and I like how Ashley want trick or treating with the others.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I'm incredibly torn on the Grinch Leak (that's what I'm calling it. You can't convince me to do otherwise). On one hand, a lot of detail was put into this leak (almost as if it's official information, or something), and the backstory is too odd to overlook (disgruntled graphic design guy with ties to Bandai-Namco Snapchats a few promotional images as a middle finger to Nintendo).

On the other hand, the seven characters picked all vary from "harmless" to "monumentally awesome". It seems too perfect. Also, I can't help but find it odd that this professional (well, I use that term loosely) graphic designer dude would be so wreckless in hiding his identity, almost as if he wanted to be found out. And, as others have mentioned before, I can't begin to imagine how they'll reveal five unique newcomers (and two Echoes) in a single Direct. (And I don't buy the rumor that we're getting another mainline Nintendo Direct so close to the last one. That just seems like wishful thinking).

I won't discount this leak - I did as much with the ESRB Leak during Smash 4's dev cycle and ended up with egg on my face - but I'll need to see the characters in action before I wholly buy into it.

On a more relevant note, the Ashley promo was cute. I like how they incorporated Ashley's unofficial secondary theme from the 3DS home screens.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
So once the video goes up on social media platforms, would that be about the time to make it heard that we wanted Ashley playable in this or any future Smash games and not as an assist?

Ridley didn't get in by just sitting and waiting.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
What do you mean? I haven't seen Isaac confirmed yet. If you're talking about that item, it could probably be something else. Besides, it's not like an item automatically confirms a character.
It strongly alludes to his inclusion in my book. It happened with Klaptrap and K Rool.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Oh, wow, haha. That's awesome! Surely, Sakurai wouldn't put in a Golden Sun item without the Golden Sun character that a ton of people have been asking for since GS was alive and well back during the pre-Brawl days, right?
Probably not. I'm convinced Isaac is in. Whether that means the leak is real remains to be seen but this certainly helps

I see no reason to be sad, Ashley was disconfirmed in August...
Ahh now I'm even more sad :(

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Crazy ****ing week. Not sold on the mystery sprout confirming Isaac as it could very well be related to the Healing field.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Crazy ****ing week. Not sold on the mystery sprout confirming Isaac as it could very well be related to the Healing field.
We've seen the healing field now and it look like a bulb just with a sprout design on it. The sprout in an orb appears to be something else.

This week has been nuts but its just what the community needed. If the leak ends up being real, then I'm glad we got to speculate and meme about it, even if it means the reveals will be less surprising.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
We've seen the healing field now and it look like a bulb just with a sprout design on it. The sprout in an orb appears to be something else.

This week has been nuts but its just what the community needed. If the leak ends up being real, then I'm glad we got to speculate and meme about it, even if it means the reveals will be less surprising.
I'm not saying it is the Healing field, just that it could be a related item that serves a purpose of healing.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I'm not saying it is the Healing field, just that it could be a related item that serves a purpose of healing.
I dont know how it would. Would be weird to give an item like that two stages. Unless its changed and it sprouts into a bulb. Even then that sounds like an unnecessary change.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't know why anyone would be against Grinch Leak unless they wanted a character that has yet to be deconfirmed. It's full of characters people have wanted since at least Brawl.

Top Bottom