• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
Echo fighters don't bother me much because they don't take as much time or effort to make.

As for Incineroar I'm more so expecting him than wanting him. I can tell Incineroar is going to come with an expiration date. I remember being excited for Greninja's reveal back when he was the flavor of the month but, looking at him now he didn't age too well. I'd consider it a pleasant surprise if we didn't get Incineroar.

Incineroar would probably have received better reception if he was revealed earlier. K. Rool and Ridley should have been revealed last. Unless Sakurai thinks he can top those two with his final character reveal.

I still think Ashley has a decent chance for DLC. I'm sure Ultimate will receive more support for DLC than Smash 4. While she was popular in Japan, Ashley didn't really get much support in the west until too late. With the amount of support Ashley has been given Sakurai might reconsider Ashley.

DLC are probably for characters Nintendo thinks will sell. Third party characters like Banjo & Kazooie will sell and Nintendo knows it. 1st party characters probably wont require as much of a potential to sell as they can be used to advertise their own games (Like Corrin). With the amount of demand for Waluigi I think Sakurai will change his mind. From there people will support Ashley with more optimism.
While if anything Greninja got more popular after Smash For came out to being Ash's ace in the X and Y anime and getting the cool new Ash Greninja form.You need that one hype character for E3 so Ridley was the perfect character to showcase there. Ashley and Waluigi also could promote new WarioWare and Mario spinoff games next year or in 2020.
If there’s something I dislike in Smash, it’s characters that don’t stand the test of time. I’m all for adding a character that then gains popularity due to being in Smash, but conversely, if you add one and they don’t get popular, even with the Smash boost, then you’ve ****ed up.
Seeing as how people even wanted the cut Melee clones back. Being playable even once make your popularity go through the roof.

I think we should stop with the Incineroar bashing in this thread so people don't get the wrong idea. Due to a few bad eggs on Twitter people think Ashley fans hate Castlevania and I would hate for a repeat to happen this time with the much bigger Pokemon fanbase due to one person going a little overboard.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3

SniperGabe

Smash Cadet
I know I haven't been on here for a while but I think Ashley still has a chance, DLC is what we're aiming for! GO ASHLEY!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's just so many polls, I dont know if i feel like voting for them anymore, but i did vote for that one. ashley and shantae included of course

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Man, It seems like this site has nearly died with all the murmers of Box Theory being true. Here's hoping the next reveal kills it so that people get hyped again.

The next character is totally Ashley, I just know it! :(

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Man, It seems like this site has nearly died with all the murmers of Box Theory being true. Here's hoping the next reveal kills it so that people get hyped again.

The next character is totally Ashley, I just know it! :(
I thought people already abandoned Box Theory? Atleast from what I heard on Reddit, everyone there seems to believe that it was just a placeholder. I thought the same would be true here. Then again, they thought Blog theory was more sound, but 6-7 characters is a bit too generous this late into the cycle and with Sakurai saying that character announcements would slow down not long after.

If we end up only getting 3 or so characters, I don't think I would say the Box Theory supporters were right in their judgement.

Speaking of, I was happy to have one of my Ashley support comments get top upvotes. I think associatimg Ashley with other requested characters would help her gain more support.
Screenshot_2018-10-02-21-09-52.png

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I thought people already abandoned Box Theory? Atleast from what I heard on Reddit, everyone there seems to believe that it was just a placeholder. I thought the same would be true here. Then again, they thought Blog theory was more sound, but 6-7 characters is a bit too generous this late into the cycle and with Sakurai saying that character announcements would slow down not long after.

If we end up only getting 3 or so characters, I don't think I would say the Box Theory supporters were right in their judgement.

Speaking of, I was happy to have one of my Ashley support comments get top upvotes. I think associatimg Ashley with other requested characters would help her gain more support.
I don't hang around Reddit. Just here and GFAQs. Discussion has really died in both places. XD.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
While the the download code also just happens to have 2 open spots. I'm still in the boat that the card and box only show the characters who they plan to ashowcase before they have to send it up to retailers. Also slowing down on the newcomer trailers does not mean only new newcomer trailer left.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
While the the download code also just happens to have 2 open spots. I'm still in the boat that the card and box only show the characters who they plan to ashowcase before they have to send it up to retailers. Also slowing down on the newcomer trailers does not mean only new newcomer trailer left.
The card is already released. I don't think it means a damn thing. It's obviously just what is publically known at the time the thing was released in the most symmetrical way possible. In the same vein, the Box is likely going to be that way too. Hell, Shulk wasn't on the 3DS Download card for Smash for 3DS, same deal here.

This fanbase is wrong 99.9% of the time and I look forward to this community getting BTFO'd for the millionth time.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I don't hang around Reddit. Just here and GFAQs. Discussion has really died in both places. XD.
I'm kinda fine with it. Been preoccupying myself with other things in the meanwhile until new developments come up. The slower pace is a lot less stressful to deal with now that we're deconfirmed.

I think if Ashley wasn't deconfirmed, we'd probly be going mad at the anticipation. 2 months left, slower character reveals, 2 leaked characters already looking like locks. It just wouldn't look good. I don't know how other threads have been dealing with it.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm kinda fine with it. Been preoccupying myself with other things in the meanwhile until new developments come up. The slower pace is a lot less stressful to deal with now that we're deconfirmed.

I think if Ashley wasn't deconfirmed, we'd probly be going mad at the anticipation. 2 months left, slower character reveals, 2 leaked characters already looking like locks. It just wouldn't look good. I don't know how other threads have been dealing with it.
Since I subscribe to the Music Theory (Since it makes sense from a marketing standpoint) I personally think she'd be in just the right position.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I stressed over Ashley so much after the Smash Direct was announced that I am honestly happy to know where she stands, even if I'm not terribly happy with the results, themselves. Knowing her fate has allowed me to branch out and support other characters, as well as celebrate the newcomers who have made the cut.

In a world where Ashley wasn't featured in the Direct, we'd all be absolutely falling hook, line, and sinker for the false sense of optimism that something like the Music Theory instills in certain fanbases. And yet, Ashley would still be just as much of an NPC as she is in this reality.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Noipoi

Howdy!
A K Rool fan told me the only way Ashley's gonna get in is if there's demand, way more demand than than us.
So i'm gonna go spread the word and make everyone an Ashley fan!
Now I just need to figure out how...

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
A K Rool fan told me the only way Ashley's gonna get in is if there's demand, way more demand than than us.
So i'm gonna go spread the word and make everyone an Ashley fan!
Now I just need to figure out how...
The best way is to include what appeals she has: Personality wise, moveset wise and lore wise. It may be helpful to bring up how Ashley was the only character considered, thus far, to have a spinoff game even though it was an April Fools joke. The push behind her marketing for real life locations and mainly pushed the Badge Arcade sales.

Basically, find out what drew you to her and try to build upon that. Try thinking how someone would convince you to be an Ashley fan or how she would be a good candidate for Smash.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
It would also probably help to get word out about interest her in places Nintendo or even Sakurai would see. The sooner the better, since work might start on DLC within the next couple of months.

We can't really depend on a ballot, if there's even going to be one. If we want Ashley now, we need to keep campaigning for her now. Worst case scenario it doesn't get her in this game like we want, it might give her a shot for the next one,

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Basically, find out what drew you to her and try to build upon that. Try thinking how someone would convince you to be an Ashley fan or how she would be a good candidate for Smash.

I think this might be an interesting point of view, so I'll share it here.

I do a lot of coming up with my own fake rosters in my spare time. I find it really interesting to balance the "historical" impacts of different characters and analyze what various individuals could bring to the table. One such character that has stood out to me - even before I got especially attached to either Wario Land or WarioWare - was Ashley. Even before I realized all the attention she gets outside of WW, it always seemed like she got a lot of attention in Smash itself, and I thought her "classic witch" angle would be neat on the roster. But more importantly, I thought that putting Ashley on the roster would free up Wario to better represent Wario Land. While Ashley's very presence would be a great representation of WarioWare, Wario has starred in many games where he plays as more of a grappling bully-type, and the fact that this history has fallen to the wayside both in and out of Smash is a shame.

Now, I see a lot of people out there on the Internet who grew up with Wario Land, and who look at Ashley (and WarioWare, in general) with a sense of animosity due to how this vastly different franchise with "Wario" in the title came and shoved Wario Land into obscurity for no apparent reason. As someone who has become a fan of both Wario franchises in the past couple years, I can understand this frustration. But perhaps this could be a point of commonality between Ashley fans and Wario Land fans: If Ashley gets in, Wario could get a Land-based redesign, and perhaps reception to the redesign could vocalize to Nintendo how much both Wario Land and WarioWare are cherished by fans, and we'll get a revival of the former.

It's a bit far-fetched, I know, but regardless, this is the thought process that made me an Ashley fan. From there, of course, I came to like the character herself, and understand what interesting abilities she could bring to the table, and in recent times, she has become my favorite WarioWare character.

Of course, there are other pros to Ashley being in Smash, and when I tell people why I support her for Smash, it has more to do with my personal love for WarioWare and the cool mechanics, abilities, and personality that she wields/inspires. But there is an entire group of Wario fans who could potentially be turned from detractors into supporters if we were to reach out to them with this proposal.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
We can't let the flame burn out.

Let's strike up some discussion, Do you think that Nintendo has anything planned for Ashley in the Future or do you think it will stick to Wario?

Noipoi

Howdy!

Let's strike up some discussion, Do you think that Nintendo has anything planned for Ashley in the Future or do you think it will stick to Wario?
In the immediate future (as in the next year or two) she might just be stuck in Warioware, but going forward I could see her branching out depending on how much Nintendo wants to do with her. I could even see her getting a spin off game if she takes off.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi

I think that she probably needs a bit more star power before she full-on tackles a spin-off series. I think that right now, she's at cameo territory, but not on equal footing with the likes of Yoshi or Wario, where Nintendo could justify giving them their own franchises.

Also, let's remember that Luigi didn't get a spin-off series until the stars aligned in his favor. Nintendo needed a game that accurately displayed what the GameCube was capable of, and the idea they came up with just happened to star Luigi in a haunted mansion. The idea was so popular with fans that it spawned two sequels and a remake (as well as a Japanese arcade machine).

So, unless a dev team at Nintendo gets the OK from corporate for an idea that just screams "Ashley", I think she might have a ways to go.

As a slightly unrelated beside, I'm still curious as to what Nintendo intends to do with whatever info they get from SpotPass on WarioWare Gold.

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman

Well, beside the (probable) WarioWare Switch, I've been vocal about my belief Crazy Galaxy is a real pitch they had floating around and that they framed as a joke to see how people would react to the OCs and the bold changes it makes to Ashley's character. Hard to tell if they got the reaction they wanted with Miiverse gone, though at least Japanese social media was happy with the idea.

I guess we'll see in 2020.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord

I'm hoping Ashley's time in the spotlight hasn't ended with the death of the Badge Arcade and the imminent doom of the 3DS. They'll probably stick with Wario a little longer but if we get themes and badges as part of the online service I could see another Ashley resurgence. This also depends on how long we have to wait for a WarioWare Switch.

As a slightly unrelated beside, I'm still curious as to what Nintendo intends to do with whatever info they get from SpotPass on WarioWare Gold.
The obvious thing to do is keep playing the Ashley stage and Pumpkin Panic and spam Spotpass with Ashley love!

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice

If Nintendo does updates for Super Mario Party and keeps the heroes and villains number even and adds characters for a year they would petty much be out of heroes after Captain Toad and Pauline unless they toss in metal and baby characters. So there would be a few hero spots open for characters like Ashley and Dixie Kong if they wanted to keep up the more unique roster look the game has going for it.

In the immediate future (as in the next year or two) she might just be stuck in Warioware, but going forward I could see her branching out depending on how much Nintendo wants to do with her. I could even see her getting a spin off game if she takes off.
A few like the branching out would go a long way and getting her more while known to the public eye with Mario Kart being the biggest prize due to how many people play the series.
Well, beside the (probable) WarioWare Switch, I've been vocal about my belief Crazy Galaxy is a real pitch they had floating around and that they framed as a joke to see how people would react to the OCs and the bold changes it makes to Ashley's character. Hard to tell if they got the reaction they wanted with Miiverse gone, though at least Japanese social media was happy with the idea.

I guess we'll see in 2020.
I think people on Neogaf wanted the game to be a real thing as while and Nintendo has been listening more to hardcore fans in recent years.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
If Nintendo does updates for Super Mario Party and keeps the heroes and villains number even and adds characters for a year they would petty much be out of heroes after Captain Toad and Pauline unless they toss in metal and baby characters. So there would be a few hero spots open for characters like Ashley and Dixie Kong if they wanted to keep up the more unique roster look the game has going for it.

A few like the branching out would go a long way and getting her more while known to the public eye with Mario Kart being the biggest prize due to how many people play the series.

I think people on Neogaf wanted the game to be a real thing as while and Nintendo has been listening more to hardcore fans in recent years.
I have to agree. It seems like such a missed opportunity to not utilize characters from the expanded Marioverse like Ashley in the spinoff games beyond DK and Diddy. The Mario Kart 8 roster in particular reeks of desperation of scrapping the bottom of the barrel with more babies, power up suits, and mooks that few players care for, so it seems odd that they don't open the goldmine they're sitting on with unique characters that a lot of people would actually get excited about. It would be such a natural step to get these characters broader recognition. I'd like to think that if they were willing to do that, Ashley would be among the very first to make the jump.

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
i think Ashley would actually be a likely DLC candidate if they fully embrace the ~game as services~ thing for Mario Kart 9 (which I thought they would've for 8 DX, but, nope) but they'd probably handle her the same way they treat Link and the Inklings. I don't think Nintendo sees Mario as this big DC/Marvel-like shared universe like the fans do.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
i think Ashley would actually be a likely DLC candidate if they fully embrace the ~game as services~ thing for Mario Kart 9 (which I thought they would've for 8 DX, but, nope) but they'd probably handle her the same way they treat Link and the Inklings. I don't think Nintendo sees Mario as this big DC/Marvel-like shared universe like the fans do.
I agree with this. And it's a darn shame, too. Mario Super Sluggers was pretty close to being a big Mario-verse crossover, and it just so happens to be one of - if not the - best Mario spin-off games. Bandai-Namco needs to jump on that sequel, already. It's been a decade...

But yeah, WarioWare seems to be disjointed enough from the main Mario universe that a cameo by one of its characters would be treated like an Animal Crossing cameo.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I agree, her and Takamaru I see as reasonable DLC promotions, especially considering how late their costumes were released in Smash DLC's run simultaneously.

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
I agree, her and Takamaru I see as reasonable DLC promotions, especially considering how late their costumes were released in Smash DLC's run simultaneously.
To clarify, the "likely DLC candidate" was in reference to an hypothetical new Mario Kart game. For Smash I really don't know honestly.

Though since you brought up the subject, I'll throw out this fanfic scenario: when if Crazy Galaxy gets announced during the DLC cycle and Nintendo decides to cross promote the game, Would Everyone Be Ok with a playable Ashley being based on how she's portrayed in that instead of her WW appearances? My answer would be: Very.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
To clarify, the "likely DLC candidate" was in reference to an hypothetical new Mario Kart game. For Smash I really don't know honestly.

Though since you brought up the subject, I'll throw out this fanfic scenario: when if Crazy Galaxy gets announced during the DLC cycle and Nintendo decides to cross promote the game, Would Everyone Be Ok with a playable Ashley being based on how she's portrayed in that instead of her WW appearances? My answer would be: Very.
Better than nothing, I guess. But the main reason I want Ashley is to have a pure Spell caster. Something I feel Robin doesn't quite Fit. (I see him as a Mage Knight)

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
While I would to see Takamaru be DLC I doubt it would happen to many not talking about him as much anymore. It would be nice to see the trio that got assist trophies and Mii Fighter outfits reunited as fighters though.

If Crazy Galaxy happened and it became popular I think they would just add in the next popular character from that game and have Ashley be based off of WarioWare do to that being the version more people would want.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
If I'm honest, I don't think Crazy Galaxy is ever happening. They never even said what kind of game it would be.

I'd rather have Ware Ashley above all else. Them using an obscure alternate version of a character from an April Fools joke rather than the main, iconic version everyone knows about just sounds ludicrous, even by Smash standards.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Better than nothing, I guess. But the main reason I want Ashley is to have a pure Spell caster. Something I feel Robin doesn't quite Fit. (I see him as a Mage Knight)
Yes I'd want her in as a pure spell caster too. I don't think she should be using her hands or feet or even her Red staff to whack people all that much. Ashley wouldn't have a very strong physical prowess, she's only strong in magic when the odds are in her favor. So it wouldn't make sense for her spike move to be something like kicking down with both feet or swinging her Red staff down. It should be more like she points her Red staff down in the air and a small explosion happens, much like Zelda's up air!
And on the matter of Zelda and Palutena, I don't consider them pure spell casters either considering all their moves... Whenever we get Ashley in this game she will prolly be the 1st ever real pure spell caster, and it's going to be awesome!

All that aside, I would still like to see Ashley's Crazy Galaxy outfit and pajama's as alts! It would be soooo cute-i-FULL! :love:

Ashley_257.png

I like this one. it's not her classic crazy galaxy outfit, but it did appear in one of Nintendo's comics promoting badge arcade.

Ashley's comic 2.png

And of course you cant forget her pajamas look!
Ashley_320.jpg

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Someone created a pretty good 8-bit version of Ashley's theme that I thought I'd share.

Listening to her theme now still makes me think about her wasted potential.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
As for not let letting the flame burn out, I dont think there's much we can do. We'll just have to see what Nintendo does that could help Ashley get in. I'm not holding out for cross promotions, but I'm fairly sure a new Wario game is her best shot for helping her support.

If Gold, a compilation game on a dying console , shot her up so much in the speculation consciousness, then an entirely new entry on the Switch should have similar effects. Not as drastic however since now she is an assist, and speculation is less prominent during DLC.

So to you all, I think yall can kick back. No need to stress too much about doing your part or whatever.

im still sad
Same bro.

I'm still a little sad but I think that's better than becoming apathetic to her. In a weird way, seeing people sad about Ashley's deconfirmation makes me less sad.

Last edited:

SniperGabe

Smash Cadet
We can always show Nintendo that there are a lot of Ashley fans, maybe she can get in next game or even DLC (Hopefully) but Nintendo has listened to a lot of fans, let's show them what we've got to offer! (By the way, if you haven't already, please join the Ashley Discord: https://discord.gg/73nCDG4)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
We can always show Nintendo that there are a lot of Ashley fans, maybe she can get in next game or even DLC (Hopefully) but Nintendo has listened to a lot of fans, let's show them what we've got to offer! (By the way, if you haven't already, please join the Ashley Discord: https://discord.gg/73nCDG4)
If the Assist Trophy promotion thing doesn't become a thing for DLC, than Ashley will definitely be in the next Smash Bros. with out a doubt. But if it does, she will be promoted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom