• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
This thread recently passed 100,000 views.

Considering the general lack of interest in Pokémon characters, I'd say that's a huge accomplishment.
I think some of that can go to people who, while not interested in a pokemon (or rather not want a pokemon), do expect & speculate/predict a gen 8 pokemon would happen as a "shill pick".

Of course plenty of people do want a pokemon.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Considering the general lack of interest in Pokémon characters, I'd say that's a huge accomplishment.
to be fair a lot of those will be us regulars. but we know how to keep this thread active

zacian

Smash Apprentice
Pyra and Mythra’s presentation thing is tomorrow, do you guys expect anything Pokémon there

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Pyra and Mythra’s presentation thing is tomorrow, do you guys expect anything Pokémon there
Dunno. We haven't had any mii costumes since Team Rocket, but they could do something like team galactic grunts or a notable trainer (we really should have a lot of these).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's possible, but I doubt we're getting anything. There's plenty of other Nintendo franchises who could also receive a costume, and then you have the limitless number of third-party and indies as well.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
After watching the presentation, I don't really have a lot to say. Aside from MH being killed and potentially reducing the odds of another third-party company getting a character in this pass, there wasn't a whole lot that pertains to us.

I'm guessing E3 is our next bet, and E3 has historically never been a good time for revealing Pokémon content in Smash. Still, there's nothing that can prove that it's been anything more than a coincidence. Pokémon is a major franchise, so perhaps they'd consider a Pokémon to be the best choice for E3 out of the final three characters.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm guessing E3 is our next bet, and E3 has historically never been a good time for revealing Pokémon content in Smash. Still, there's nothing that can prove that it's been anything more than a coincidence. Pokémon is a major franchise, so perhaps they'd consider a Pokémon to be the best choice for E3 out of the final three characters.
slight typo there

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
slight typo there
If you're referring to "final three characters", that was intentional.

If the last three characters are being revealed this year, one of which is Pyra/Mythra, then maybe a Pokémon would be the "biggest" reveal they have left.

I don't find it to be incredibly likely, but who knows? Min Min was revealed at an odd time, so it's possible.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If you're referring to "final three characters", that was intentional.

If the last three characters are being revealed this year, one of which is Pyra/Mythra, then maybe a Pokémon would be the "biggest" reveal they have left.

I don't find it to be incredibly likely, but who knows? Min Min was revealed at an odd time, so it's possible.
Oh I see

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Out of all the 3rd party companies who have characters in smash, Namco feels long overdue for a new character.

-I don't now if another Sega rep is even under consideration; I highy doubt it, but it's not impossible.
-Capcom could have a character with the Mii costumes being exclusive to it's series, but I'm not sure anymore. Dante could be a good pick, but I don't think it'll happen. Monster Hunter I felt had the strongest chance & also being the most fitting, but that fell apart.
-Konami is Konami. Moving on.
-Given how diverse the roster of dlc has been per wave, I strongly doubt Square & Microsoft would double down within the same wave of dlc (though a case could be made for Master Chief, since Mojang is heavly independant from Microsoft). Nintendo is the only one who can double down and feel justified.
-I don't think we should expect another SNK rep, since we got bombed with 50 songs already.

Whether it's Tales of, Digimon, Dark Souls or Soul Calibur; I think we could get a Namco rep among the last 2.
Crash also feels like a strong e3 reveal character.

Nonethess, anything is still possible: two 3rd parties, two 1st parties or one of each. And even though I had a little skepticism about a 3rd pass, Sakurai's wording at the end is basically reconfirmation that there won't be a 3rd pass. I felt 1 year could be enough to change minds, but they're reassuring that statement this year, so it's safe to believe.

These next few months will be interesting, since a rumor many were following for the last 4 weeks or so was deconfirmed with MH miis. I like that this pass has never been leaked at all & people ended up blindsighted for all characters so far. Crash might be the only character in this pass that's very expected & very likely to happen, which really has me curious about the last character.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Out of all the 3rd party companies who have characters in smash, Namco feels long overdue for a new character.

Whether it's Tales of, Digimon, Dark Souls or Soul Calibur; I think we could get a Namco rep among the last 2.
Crash also feels like a strong e3 reveal character.
Can't keep track of which threads I say this in, but I think people are overestimating the odds of us getting a Namco character simply because they believe we should've gotten one by now. I keep using that logic for Zelda; look how that's played out. :glare:

Regardless, they were on a roll with returning Namco Mii costumes until Sephiroth. Makes sense considering how we still had Geno. Then there's the MH costumes returning because of Rise. Wouldn't be surprised if they pick up where they left off and reveal Lloyd with the next batch of costumes. After that, I'd say Namco is probably DOA.

Crash might be the only character in this pass that's very expected & very likely to happen, which really has me curious about the last character.
Crash has sort of eluded me. I'd never say he's unlikely, but I also don't think there's very much that suggests that he's happening either. Seems like the general consensus is that Crash will happen because, "It's Crash Bandicoot!"

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Can't keep track of which threads I say this in, but I think people are overestimating the odds of us getting a Namco character simply because they believe we should've gotten one by now. I keep using that logic for Zelda; look how that's played out. :glare:

Regardless, they were on a roll with returning Namco Mii costumes until Sephiroth. Makes sense considering how we still had Geno. Then there's the MH costumes returning because of Rise. Wouldn't be surprised if they pick up where they left off and reveal Lloyd with the next batch of costumes. After that, I'd say Namco is probably DOA.

Crash has sort of eluded me. I'd never say he's unlikely, but I also don't think there's very much that suggests that he's happening either. Seems like the general consensus is that Crash will happen because, "It's Crash Bandicoot!"
I guess I equate Crash to being like Banjo: a highly requested character finally getting added into smash.
And tbh fighter 11 feels like a toss up. No matter how I look at it, I can't truly fixate on whether it'll be a 1st or 3rd party. Kind of why I want the last 2 characters to be revealed at e3 rather than wait till September to find out.

Truly these are times where speculation almost feels pointless given how we're not looking at every possibility + most support threads have already exausted speculating character movesets & other contents/references.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I guess I equate Crash to being like Banjo: a highly requested character finally getting added into smash.
And tbh fighter 11 feels like a toss up. No matter how I look at it, I can't truly fixate on whether it'll be a 1st or 3rd party. Kind of why I want the last 2 characters to be revealed at e3 rather than wait till September to find out.

Truly these are times where speculation almost feels pointless given how we're not looking at every possibility + most support threads have already exausted speculating character movesets & other contents/references.
you shouldnt equate them though. B&K are former nintendo characters who have been popular picks for a long time. crash's popularity only really shot to where it is when the remakes were announced

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I'm of the thought that we'll see one more third party for Fighter #10 around E3, then Fighter #11 will end with a first party character. I don't think they'll be anyone as big as Steve or Sephiroth, since we're (probably) in the midst of the late-cycle wind down now. I think #10 is more likely to be similar to Terry, someone less star-studded but who still has a following.

#11...well, SwSh certainly seems like a good option for that, but it's not the only one. I do think the people expecting DLC to end on as strong a note as possible are off base, though.

That's the thing, he's reached a point where the community assumes he's a shoo in just because he gets brought up so much.

To be honest...I think Crash's best shot was the Fighter #8 and #9 spots. He would fit into the midpoint climax we usually see with Smash reveal cycles, but with that past us now, he has to hope the last couple spots break trend. Isn't done for, but the fact that we're probably past this batch's heavy hitters puts him behind the 8 ball, so to speak.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Then who will be fighter 10? Who's everyone feeling it'll be?

I'm lost at this point.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Thinking of characters I'd want, and all I can think of is either Agumon or Spyro for the 3rd party & 5 different pokemon for the 1st party (maybe Revali as well).

Speaking about Legends Arceus, what are some general hopes you have about it? I'm hoping we can interact with our own pokemon in a more meaningful manner than the traditional following mechanic or Amie/Refresh/Camp. Stuff like petting, high fives & hugs; even if it's only our starter.

Last edited:

zacian

Smash Apprentice
Speaking about Legends Arceus, what are some general hopes you have about it? I'm hoping we can interact with our own pokemon in a more meaningful manner than the traditional following mechanic or Amie/Refresh/Camp. Stuff like petting, high fives & hugs; even if it's only our starter.
I hope I can get beaten up by a Spheal

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman

Even haters of Pokemon Sword and Shield appreciate Zacian and Zamazenta. They're good doggo's.

With Lloyd's Mii costume suspiciously not returning alongside a Swordfighter character from a former Namco company, I find it very sus'.

I can't see them realistically revealing another Swordfighter after Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra were revealed side-by-side. Activision announced that they had a multi-brand path for Crash Bandicoot after the success of the N Sane Trilogy hence the justified speculation of him being in Smash Bros.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Even haters of Pokemon Sword and Shield appreciate Zacian and Zamazenta. They're good doggo's.

With Lloyd's Mii costume suspiciously not returning alongside a Swordfighter character from a former Namco company, I find it very sus'.

I can't see them realistically revealing another Swordfighter after Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra were revealed side-by-side. Activision announced that they had a multi-brand path for Crash Bandicoot after the success of the N Sane Trilogy hence the justified speculation of him being in Smash Bros.
That shouldn't be a factor here. For all we know the last 2 fighters are swordfighters.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
They made a "too many swordfighters" joke back in Byleth's trailer. A few people thought that was the death penalty for swordfighters. Here we are today with three out of four characters in the second pass who fight with a sword.

I suppose you could argue that if Sakurai chooses the Pokémon, then he might be less inclined to choose Zacian. On the flipside, Sakurai pretty much told us himself that he enjoys working with swordfighters because they're incredibly easy to make. You could make a case for either.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
They made a "too many swordfighters" joke back in Byleth's trailer. A few people thought that was the death penalty for swordfighters. Here we are today with three out of four characters in the second pass who fight with a sword.

I suppose you could argue that if Sakurai chooses the Pokémon, then he might be less inclined to choose Zacian. On the flipside, Sakurai pretty much told us himself that he enjoys working with swordfighters because they're incredibly easy to make. You could make a case for either.
I wouldn't say Zacian would be necesarily easier than other gen 8 pokemon given it's a quad & big fighter rolled into 1.

Staarih

Smash Master
So, Goh got Grookey last episode, all the Galar starters are finally here. I think Sobble is going towards more development after the Inteleon episode, so maybe Cinderace will step aside for now... and maybe Grookey has its turn after that. Looks like Ash will have a Sirfetch'd soon as well, probably next episode if the preview is to be interpreted right.

All these good Smash candidates getting anime appearances is nice. Shame that Zacian/Zamazenta were stuck to their arc though.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So, Goh got Grookey last episode, all the Galar starters are finally here. I think Sobble is going towards more development after the Inteleon episode, so maybe Cinderace will step aside for now... and maybe Grookey has its turn after that. Looks like Ash will have a Sirfetch'd soon as well, probably next episode if the preview is to be interpreted right.

All these good Smash candidates getting anime appearances is nice. Shame that Zacian/Zamazenta were stuck to their arc though.
Still a little bitter about Goh being awarded all three starters when he can't seem to do anything with most of the Pokémon he owns. Would've been nice if Ash got at least one of them so we could see it in battles more often (though I suppose even that wasn't guaranteed, if Gengar is anything to go by).

Anyways, it'll be interesting to see what other candidates start making appearances. As of now, Cinderace and the Legendaries are the only Gen 8 Pokémon in the anime who have been pushed enough for me to believe they'd be chosen for Smash. We have Goh's ace and a pair of Pokémon who had an entire Galar arc dedicated to them. That's not to say that prominence rules over all; Lycanroc or Mimikyu should've been in Smash before Incineroar if that were true. Still, I'd need to see Sirfetch'd, Dracovish, and any of the other evolved starters get more of a push before I'd feel confident in their chances. That's the main reason why never found Decidueye more likely than Incineroar.

Put Out <3

Smash Rookie
I completely agree with you with regards to the Grookey thing! And I really would love to see either of our doggos in!
Cinderace feels an odd choice to me, I wonder why they're pushing it so hard.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To be fair, Cinderace has reached a point where it's almost cemented itself as the most popular starter final evo.

I'm not crazy about Cinderace in Smash, but this isn't a Decidueye/Incineroar situation where a seemingly less popular starter gets promoted more. I just hope Sakurai gives more thought to the Pokémon he chooses next time rather than base his decision mostly on who TPC is backing.

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
I completely agree with you with regards to the Grookey thing! And I really would love to see either of our doggos in!
My guess is that the main reason why the Pokémon Company is expending so much time and resources promoting Cinderace is because they believed a soccer playing rabbit would easily be one of the most popular Pokémon of this generation. (If you need convincing refer to popularity polls like the Pokémon of the year 2020 results kgk01yorqij41.jpg (1718×4096) (redd.it) )

By being one of the most popular Pokémon of Gen 8 they stand to profit a ton off of future Cinderace merchandise like toys, cards, amiibos, etc.

Last edited:

zacian

Smash Apprentice
some special art based on a poll they held on Valentines Day asking which swsh character you’d give chocolate to

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
It's likely the equivalent of Greninja (at least in their eyes), so it makes sense to capitilize on the more popular pokemon (or most popular starter at least).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
My guess is that the main reason why the Pokémon Company is expending so much time and resources promoting Cinderace is because they believed a soccer playing rabbit would easily be one of the most popular Pokémon of this generation. (If you need convincing refer to popularity polls like the Pokémon of the year 2020 results kgk01yorqij41.jpg (1718×4096) (redd.it) )

By being one of the most popular Pokémon of Gen 8 they stand to profit a ton off of future Cinderace merchandise like toys, cards, amiibos, etc.
yes, too bad he represents a toxic culture of violence

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What do you mean? Aren't most sports toxic in some way? Heck, most of the popular forms of entertainment in general?
football seems to be particularly bad in scotland every story i heard about it growing up always involved something very violent happening. needless to say its clouded my view of the sport and did not like that they used it as a theme for sword and shield

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
football seems to be particularly bad in scotland every story i heard about it growing up always involved something very violent happening. needless to say its clouded my view of the sport and did not like that they used it as a theme for sword and shield
I mean, the sport is quite synonymous with England (I know other countries too, but Football is huge nonetheless): the country where the majority of Galar is inspired by.

Last edited:

Put Out <3

Smash Rookie
To be fair, Cinderace has reached a point where it's almost cemented itself as the most popular starter final evo.

I'm not crazy about Cinderace in Smash, but this isn't a Decidueye/Incineroar situation where a seemingly less popular starter gets promoted more. I just hope Sakurai gives more thought to the Pokémon he chooses next time rather than base his decision mostly on who TPC is backing.

Heh, you are both correct, about Cinderace. I guess my hangup is its just not nearly as cool and unique as Greninja or Lucario to me. Plus, the poll shows me two things: Cinderace actually didn't rank very highly at all and that secondly, the top 5's of not only Galar and Gen 8 aren't Cinderace or Incineroar. So if the fans don't vote these characters in the Top 5 of their gens I wonder why they're in/assumed to be in for Smash...

I am hopeful of Sakurai as well, hoping that a unique character will be chosen

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, the sport is quite synonymous with England (I know other countries too, but Football is huge nonetheless): the country where the majority of Galar is inspired by.
thats another annoying thing, galar was supposed to be based on the uk but it was all england. sure the crown tundra was based on scotland but that was ust an expanded area with minimal new things. and wales and northern ireland was completely ignored. and sure that always seems to be way england gets all the attention while the rest of us are ignored but that doesnt mean its not a sour experience.

Heh, you are both correct, about Cinderace. I guess my hangup is its just not nearly as cool and unique as Greninja or Lucario to me. Plus, the poll shows me two things: Cinderace actually didn't rank very highly at all and that secondly, the top 5's of not only Galar and Gen 8 aren't Cinderace or Incineroar. So if the fans don't vote these characters in the Top 5 of their gens I wonder why they're in/assumed to be in for Smash...

I am hopeful of Sakurai as well, hoping that a unique character will be chosen
in inceneroar's case it cause sakurai wanted to make a wrestler moveset. even though he has four previous smash games and plenty of other wrestler characters so you gotta wonder why now? but one things for sure inceneroar is only in smash cause sakurai wanted him

Top Bottom