• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
Heh, you are both correct, about Cinderace. I guess my hangup is its just not nearly as cool and unique as Greninja or Lucario to me. Plus, the poll shows me two things: Cinderace actually didn't rank very highly at all and that secondly, the top 5's of not only Galar and Gen 8 aren't Cinderace or Incineroar. So if the fans don't vote these characters in the Top 5 of their gens I wonder why they're in/assumed to be in for Smash...

I am hopeful of Sakurai as well, hoping that a unique character will be chosen
I'd like to add that this poll was made before Cinderace had access to its Hidden Ability and G-Max form. There's no doubt in my mind that Cinderace would rank much higher and would easily have made Top 5 in Galar if they made another PotY poll.

For Incineroar, Sakurai has made it clear that it was his choice to add it as in his own words "I wanted to try making a pro-wrestler type character at least once!". We don't know why he decided to choose Incineroar specifically over other possible video game wrestlers, but if I had to guess he probably wanted to add a wrestler who was based on Japan's famous wrestler/manga character Tiger Mask. Sakurai is likely a massive wrestling fan as he stated "I grew up in All Japan Pro-Wrestling and New Japan Pro-Wrestling’s heyday"

Sakurai on Smash Bros. Ultimate - why Incineroar was chosen and more - Nintendo Everything
Masahiro Sakurai explains why Incineroar was chosen over Decidueye for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – Pokémon Blog (pokemonblog.com)

However for the DLC, Sakurai has mentioned numerous times that Nintendo is picking the characters this time around. As such, we believe that Nintendo and Sakurai would contact Gamefreak and the Pokemon Company first and ask about which character they would want to represent Gen 8. With how much special treatment Cinderace has gotten in both the games and anime, I would argue that Cinderace would be their first choice.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
thats another annoying thing, galar was supposed to be based on the uk but it was all england. sure the crown tundra was based on scotland but that was ust an expanded area with minimal new things. and wales and northern ireland was completely ignored. and sure that always seems to be way england gets all the attention while the rest of us are ignored but that doesnt mean its not a sour experience.

in inceneroar's case it cause sakurai wanted to make a wrestler moveset. even though he has four previous smash games and plenty of other wrestler characters so you gotta wonder why now? but one things for sure inceneroar is only in smash cause sakurai wanted him
Well, from what I've seen from sites like Bulbapedia there are a few locations based off of Wales: Route 9, 10 & Spikemuth. But otherwise Ireland was completely ignored.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, from what I've seen from sites like Bulbapedia there are a few locations based off of Wales: Route 9, 10 & Spikemuth. But otherwise Ireland was completely ignored.
the point still stands

because the four of us are lumped together everyone thinks that representing one of us represents all of us

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
the point still stands

because the four of us are lumped together everyone thinks that representing one of us represents all of us
To be fair, that applies to other countries too. New York and Hawaii do not account for all of the United States. Texas, Louisiana, Kentucky, and California are all vastly different from each other, and neither Unova or Alola come close to properly representing them.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To be fair, that applies to other countries too. New York and Hawaii do not account for all of the United States. Texas, Louisiana, Kentucky, and California are all vastly different from each other, and neither Unova or Alola come close to properly representing them.
yeah but they were each based on a single state they were meant to be the entire country and it ust makes you wonder why some regions are based on areas in a country while others cram in a whole country or in galar's case four countries crammed together. theres still a chance that all those other states could have regions based on them but as for a region based on scotland or wales? dead and gone.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
yeah but they were each based on a single state they were meant to be the entire country and it ust makes you wonder why some regions are based on areas in a country while others cram in a whole country or in galar's case four countries crammed together. theres still a chance that all those other states could have regions based on them but as for a region based on scotland or wales? dead and gone.
From seeing maps of the world, US states tend to be on average as big as most european countries. Still don't think many people percieve the Galar region to be all of the UK though. But yeah, it does suck they'll never make a region out of Scotland or Wales. And very unlikely they'll visit Ireland.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
From seeing maps of the world, US states tend to be on average as big as most european countries. Still don't think many people percieve the Galar region to be all of the UK though. But yeah, it does suck they'll never make a region out of Scotland or Wales. And very unlikely they'll visit Ireland.
I suppose the size is a fair point

There’s always the Republic of Ireland

Put Out <3

Smash Rookie
Anyways, continuing what I was saying earlier, there was something that was said earlier by someone that I was thinking about and I really wanna mention!

I've heard online that Incineroar was actually a late addition and almost cut, I think there actually is some merit to this! I have a feeling that it could be true, and we could find out that truth, in due time: You know, sort of like how its common knowledge to Smash fans that Lucario was actually almost cut?

We didn't figure that out for years though. So I really feel that with Incineroar is still semi recent is why we haven't hear of the troubles of the fire kitty

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Anyways, continuing what I was saying earlier, there was something that was said earlier by someone that I was thinking about and I really wanna mention!

I've heard online that Incineroar was actually a late addition and almost cut, I think there actually is some merit to this! I have a feeling that it could be true, and we could find out that truth, in due time: You know, sort of like how its common knowledge to Smash fans that Lucario was actually almost cut?

We didn't figure that out for years though. So I really feel that with Incineroar is still semi recent is why we haven't hear of the troubles of the fire kitty
Try not to double post unless there’s a good long while between them. Also would you cite these claims

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky

I didn't know about the Lucario thing until Source Gaming made a video about character additions & cuts. They've made videos on why characters get added & why others didn't make the cut for certain games in chronological order. The latest video was regarding Brawl's newcomers & did explain that Lucario would've been on the cutting floor with a few others if Brawl had setbacks in development.

Last edited:

Put Out <3

Smash Rookie
I didn't know about the Lucario thing until Source Gaming made a video about character additions & cuts. They've made videos on why characters get added & why others didn't make the cut for certain games in chronological order. The latest video was regarding Brawl's newcomers & did explain that Lucario would've been on the cutting floor with a few others if Brawl had setbacks in development.
Yeah I was referring to a YouTube video I watched I just didn't remember the name. Thank you for that explanation

I still think that Incineroar was likely in the same boat as Lucario (was almost denied addition / almost cut). I think that Incineroar is too new and that's why we don't know yet. It's been an enternity of time since 2006 that's probably why we were able to find out about Lucario. It's also probably due to the fact that Lucario had a large Hatedom upon getting in the game (one of the most classic threads on this site is a Lucario sucks thread) so that's probably why it was found out.
Incineroar didn't have nearly as big a negative reaction to getting in, and because of its nice presentation and technique it has been viewed favorably in retrospective as well. It has an all around superior reputation to Lucario so even if there was some evidence that the character could've been cut/almost was, it's likely that we will not find that our for a long time, because anyone involved in the game leaking it would be like shooting themselves in the foot for no reason, when no one dislikes Incineroar that much or if they do they're not as vocal as me about disliking it, I hardly ever meet people who hate it like I do

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so what was their source?

I still think that Incineroar was likely in the same boat as Lucario (was almost denied addition / almost cut). I think that Incineroar is too new and that's why we don't know yet. It's been an enternity of time since 2006 that's probably why we were able to find out about Lucario. It's also probably due to the fact that Lucario had a large Hatedom upon getting in the game (one of the most classic threads on this site is a Lucario sucks thread) so that's probably why it was found out.
Incineroar didn't have nearly as big a negative reaction to getting in, and because of its nice presentation and technique it has been viewed favorably in retrospective as well. It has an all around superior reputation to Lucario so even if there was some evidence that the character could've been cut/almost was, it's likely that we will not find that our for a long time, because anyone involved in the game leaking it would be like shooting themselves in the foot for no reason, when no one dislikes Incineroar that much or if they do they're not as vocal as me about disliking it, I hardly ever meet people who hate it like I do
really? i seem to recall lucario was fairly popular choice to get included in brawl and was fairly well received afterwards unlike inceneroar

Put Out <3

Smash Rookie

really? i seem to recall lucario was fairly popular choice to get included in brawl and was fairly well received afterwards unlike inceneroar
I respect your opinion and view, there's really no way for me to prove my point there, it's just that, as a big Lucario fan I have seen SO much hate in the past lol, it's part of the reason I left smash for many years
I remember the people saying he replaced Mewtwo vividly,
I'm gonna drop that now though since I don't wanna relieve these times though lol

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I respect your opinion and view, there's really no way for me to prove my point there, it's just that, as a big Lucario fan I have seen SO much hate in the past lol, it's part of the reason I left smash for many years
I remember the people saying he replaced Mewtwo vividly,
I'm gonna drop that now though since I don't wanna relieve these times though lol
what an odd thing to say lol about

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
It wasn't sourced, but in their page on character additions, they point to a Sakurai pick of the Day (Miiverse) where he explicitly stated Lucario would've been cut from Brawl if not for the efforts of the programming team. And even though it isn't available anymore I do recal him saying that.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It wasn't sourced, but in their page on character additions, they point to a Sakurai pick of the Day (Miiverse) where he explicitly stated Lucario would've been cut from Brawl if not for the efforts of the programming team. And even though it isn't available anymore I do recal him saying that.
well that’s not about timing then

Put Out <3

Smash Rookie
It may be odd to say but it’s my true feelings that’s why I said it lol nothing will ever top my love of Lucario except maybe zacian zamazenta this gen

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Stopped getting notified of the thread, any major developments I missed?
Not much has happened, and it'll probably stay that way until the next fighter.

I will say though, Pyra and Mythra have helped Gen 8 stay in conversation. The same people who ruled it out a year ago are of course still ruling it out, but getting another first-party from a somewhat new Switch game has helped us cling on. That and we're pretty much one of the only options left by process of elimination.

We'll see what happens. Not sure if our chances are very high for an E3 reveal, but there's also no guarantee we're getting a third-party at that time either. Feels like everyone is completely lost for once.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky

I will say though, Pyra and Mythra have helped Gen 8 stay in conversation. The same people who ruled it out a year ago are of course still ruling it out, but getting another first-party from a somewhat new Switch game has helped us cling on. That and we're pretty much one of the only options left by process of elimination.

We'll see what happens. Not sure if our chances are very high for an E3 reveal, but there's also no guarantee we're getting a third-party at that time either. Feels like everyone is completely lost for once.
We could get another situation like with Roy & Ryu being shown outside e3 (whether it's before in May or after in July is up in the air). I'm sure many have forgotten that given they leaked early.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Bit of a lull in the action, isn't it? Biggest thing we have to speculate on is whether there could be a double reveal in the would've-been-E3 Direct.

I'm leaning no, personally. If Fighter #11 follows the same process as past batches of DLC, they probably didn't even lock in exactly who it was until recently. If the identity of Fighter #5 was kept under wraps even within Nintendo, Fighter #11 is probably the same way. Which makes it less likely they'd want #11 to be revealed before they're close to ready. The trailer itself probably wouldn't be ready in time for June.

We could get another situation like with Roy & Ryu being shown outside e3 (whether it's before in May or after in July is up in the air). I'm sure many have forgotten that given they leaked early.
For what that's worth, Roy and Ryu's official reveals came in a Smash Direct only two days before Nintendo's main E3 Direct. Smash 4 clearly wasn't their focus for E3 that year. They also had to bunch characters together in big updates because the 3DS was limited in how it could handle them--Sakurai said a short while into Ultimate's DLC that he wanted to roll out fighters one at a time back then like what we're seeing now.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Bit of a lull in the action, isn't it? Biggest thing we have to speculate on is whether there could be a double reveal in the would've-been-E3 Direct.

I'm leaning no, personally. If Fighter #11 follows the same process as past batches of DLC, they probably didn't even lock in exactly who it was until recently. If the identity of Fighter #5 was kept under wraps even within Nintendo, Fighter #11 is probably the same way. Which makes it less likely they'd want #11 to be revealed before they're close to ready. The trailer itself probably wouldn't be ready in time for June.

For what that's worth, Roy and Ryu's official reveals came in a Smash Direct only two days before Nintendo's main E3 Direct. Smash 4 clearly wasn't their focus for E3 that year. They also had to bunch characters together in big updates because the 3DS was limited in how it could handle them--Sakurai said a short while into Ultimate's DLC that he wanted to roll out fighters one at a time back then like what we're seeing now.
If I can be honest, I felt Sephiroth & Pyra/Mythra's releases were suprisingly quick given how time consuming Steve likely was with reworking every single stage to place blocks. I don't doubt fighter #11 is too far to not be able to get revealed in June. Could be like Hero & Banjo in 2019. Or maybe we only get a CGI trailer for fighter 11. But who truly knows though.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
My gut feeling is that we won't get two reveals at E3, and that the final character will be kept a secret until the day of the Sakurai Presents. Something close to how Byleth was handled.
yeah that sounds about right

my gut is we might not get anyone at e3

zacian

Smash Apprentice

Why does it say there’s a Mythra icon is it supposed to be in the text

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Meanwhile...

It isn't just the SwSh metagame. Zacian's become a powerhouse and meta mainstay in the TCG as well, showing up in at least 23% of decks in the upcoming Players' Cup.

We're potentially one Smash invite away from seeing a character be top tier in three different games at once.

Though a lot of top tiers end up being hated, so would being just high tier but a fan favorite to play as be better?

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
How likely do you think an extra character after fighter pass 2 would be? Something like Piranha Plant.

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
With how well Smash and the DLC have been selling, I’d say there’s a decent chance that we’ll get a bit more content after FP2.

Plus, I heard that dataminers have found that they added 5 more character placeholder slots in a recent update. If we’re lucky we might get a FP3 with 5-8 more characters.

*Edit
Just saw PPG's video, people found possible evidence of more content after FP2.
Could be another character or could be a Mii costume or could be nothing

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
How likely do you think an extra character after fighter pass 2 would be? Something like Piranha Plant.
Ehhhh... I don't know about that. I feel like that's a best-case scenario fueled by people wanting one more chance for a character they want to get in.

I'll wait until E3. If we don't get word of a third pass by then, I'd say F11 is it.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I'm honestly shocked we've not gotten any more echo fighters since launch. Given they're easier to make compared to unique characters you'd think they'd make a few by now. I get a brand new character is more exciting, but maybe echo characters could be sold seperately from the fighter's pass for like 2-3 dollars (maybe with a music track or 2).

Last edited:
Top Bottom