• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm honestly shocked we've not gotten any more echo fighters since launch. Given they're easier to make compared to unique characters you'd think they'd make a few by now. I get a brand new character is more exciting, but maybe echo characters could be sold seperately from the fighter's pass for like 2-3 dollars (maybe with a music track or 2).
Any additional character would still be a hassle. Gotta think about licensing issues, VAs, and then possibly designing another amiibo for a character Nintendo may or may not be eager to put on store shelves.

Last edited:

zacian

Smash Apprentice
I’d assumed they aren’t doing dlc echoes is because they just don’t want to do even more work along with the fighter pass

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
What if they didn't need to do that much extra work for an echo fighter? Assuming we are going to get an extra character after FP2, what if they decided to bring back standalone Charizard (bringing back his boulder from Smash 4) with a new Final Smash (G-Max Wildfire) as a free character? This way "everyone" will be truly here.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What if they didn't need to do that much extra work for an echo fighter? Assuming we are going to get an extra character after FP2, what if they decided to bring back standalone Charizard (bringing back his boulder from Smash 4) with a new Final Smash (G-Max Wildfire) as a free character? This way "everyone" will be truly here.
by that logic we should have transforming zelda/shiek and samus/zero suit and version of all character whove had special changes

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I was thinking maybe an echo fighter for one of the last 2 dlc characters in fighter's pass 2. But I'm aware there aren't many notable characters who could come with an echo fighter that's popular from their series or would make sense, aside from 1 character that's unlikely in my mind.

Last edited:

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
by that logic we should have transforming zelda/shiek and samus/zero suit and version of all character whove had special changes
Okay fine, you got me there 🤷‍♂️, but if I recall correctly the main reason why Sakurai had to separate transforming characters was due to the limitations of the 3ds. So technically, it's not impossible for Sakurai to bring those transformations back.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Okay fine, you got me there 🤷‍♂️, but if I recall correctly the main reason why Sakurai had to separate transforming characters was due to the limitations of the 3ds. So technically, it's not impossible for Sakurai to bring those transformations back.
The question is if it's even worth it? Seems like one of those situations where it's not something a lot of people want or need over new characters (including clone characters).

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Meanwhile, amidst all the E3 talk in the past week, we got confirmation that Nintendo is taking part in the (fully online) event this year:

Think we can take that to mean the next big batch of Nintendo news will happen during the E3 streams in June. We'll (probably) be waiting until then for news on Fighter #10, along with whatever else Nintendo wants to show off. The rumored new Switch model, for one...

Also, here's something I stumbled across just now:

Worth spreading awareness for a pair of characters that most speculators haven't given a serious look? Especially since we have a strong argument that the SwSh Spirit Event isn't a deal breaker--Plan A for Pyra/Mythra was for Rex to be in the lead (before hardware limitations made them change their plans), meaning his Mii costume in Season 1 of DLC did not preclude him from being playable in Season 2.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Meanwhile, amidst all the E3 talk in the past week, we got confirmation that Nintendo is taking part in the (fully online) event this year:

Think we can take that to mean the next big batch of Nintendo news will happen during the E3 streams in June. We'll (probably) be waiting until then for news on Fighter #10, along with whatever else Nintendo wants to show off. The rumored new Switch model, for one...

Also, here's something I stumbled across just now:

Worth spreading awareness for a pair of characters that most speculators haven't given a serious look? Especially since we have a strong argument that the SwSh Spirit Event isn't a deal breaker--Plan A for Pyra/Mythra was for Rex to be in the lead (before hardware limitations made them change their plans), meaning his Mii costume in Season 1 of DLC did not preclude him from being playable in Season 2.
Any idea who the character might be? I'm sure most of us believe it to be a 3rd party. There's a few I can think of but who really knows at this point.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Any idea who the character might be? I'm sure most of us believe it to be a 3rd party. There's a few I can think of but who really knows at this point.
At this point, I have no idea. The content we've gotten in this pass so far doesn't put many of the third-party companies in a good position for a character. My best guess would've been a MH character, but clearly Capcom as a whole is probably out if the bundle of Mii Costumes is any indication. Konami and Namco have also received costumes, and I'm certain they would've been saved for a relevant character if there was one. That leaves us with Sega...and SNK.

Whoever this next character will be, I have a feeling they won't be from a third-party company already involved in Smash. If it's not that either, then maybe a first-party is possible after all.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
At this point, I have no idea. The content we've gotten in this pass so far doesn't put many of the third-party companies in a good position for a character. My best guess would've been a MH character, but clearly Capcom as a whole is probably out if the bundle of Mii Costumes is any indication. Konami and Namco have also received costumes, and I'm certain they would've been saved for a relevant character if there was one. That leaves us with Sega...and SNK.

Whoever this next character will be, I have a feeling they won't be from a third-party company already involved in Smash. If it's not that either, then maybe a first-party is possible after all.
The only companies not involved in smash already that come to mind are Activision, EA, Sony & Netherealm (to me EA & Netherealm seem unlikely due to either not giving a damn about the switch or their big franchise being too gory for even Japan). Koei Tecmo, Ubisoft & Bethesda have content in smash via spirits or mii costumes.

All in all, Activision & Sony seem to be the most likely for new 3rd party companies, in turn making the cadidates: Crash, Spyro, Tracer, Kratos & Ratchet and Clank.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The only companies not involved in smash already that come to mind are Activision, EA, Sony & Netherealm (to me EA & Netherealm seem unlikely due to either not giving a damn about the switch or their big franchise being too gory for even Japan). Koei Tecmo, Ubisoft & Bethesda have content in smash via spirits or mii costumes.

All in all, Activision & Sony seem to be the most likely for new 3rd party companies. So basically the cadidates seem to be: Crash, Spyro, Tracer, Kratos & Ratchet and Clank.
poor level-5

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
While I do appreciate all the nods to previous series, I still wish they'd do more with the current series. The pacing in this show is wild sometimes, and the plot doesn't progress as well as a typical "challenge all the gym leaders" series.

Anywho, another thing worth pointing out from last week...

Sobble evolved into Drizzile, then left to reside in a cave.

So yeah, in terms of Smash, Cinderace is the only starter who I feel confident in now. Sobble was replaced by Grookey, and it took so long for Grookey to even appear. The Scorbunny line is the only starter line that's gotten decent screentime.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
While I do appreciate all the nods to previous series, I still wish they'd do more with the current series. The pacing in this show is wild sometimes, and the plot doesn't progress as well as a typical "challenge all the gym leaders" series.

Anywho, another thing worth pointing out from last week...

Sobble evolved into Drizzile, then left to reside in a cave.

So yeah, in terms of Smash, Cinderace is the only starter who I feel confident in now. Sobble was replaced by Grookey, and it took so long for Grookey to even appear. The Scorbunny line is the only starter line that's gotten decent screentime.
wait sobble evolved then left?! Ooh I hate it when they do that

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
So now that we have most of the dlc, who has become your favorite dlc character thus far? (piranha plant counts).

For me It's Pyra/Mythra, suprisingly.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So now that we have most of the dlc, who has become your favorite dlc character thus far? (piranha plant counts).

Not sure I can decide between Min Min and Steve. I really wanted an ARMS character for base game, and Steve was one of the few third-parties who I was somewhat attached to.

Sephiroth was nice, but a lot of the content that came with him felt like it already should've been given to us with Cloud in the base game. Pyra and Mythra are good additions. I think swapping between them feels natural and less forced than Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS. I don't have a lot of attachment to XC though.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

defiantly B&K something i never thought could happen happened
then itd be min min, my second favourite arms character
then sephiroth
then steve oddly, hes a boring inclusion but hes got an alright moveset
joker felt to obvious, hero was fine til i found out how boring dragon quest is, byleth just exacerbated a big problem, piranha plant is just the latest in a long line of bad mario characters to include, terry is perhaps the single most boring character ever and pyra/mythra should have been rex and even then there were so many better xc2 characters

Hasn't quite left just yet, he's just edgy and hanging around in his cave in Cerise Park.
thank goodness for that

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

Probably Hero. He's my Main, and despite the fact he's definitely a Low Tier, he's still the most fun to play for me.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
defiantly B&K something i never thought could happen happened
then itd be min min, my second favourite arms character
then sephiroth
then steve oddly, hes a boring inclusion but hes got an alright moveset
joker felt to obvious, hero was fine til i found out how boring dragon quest is, byleth just exacerbated a big problem, piranha plant is just the latest in a long line of bad mario characters to include, terry is perhaps the single most boring character ever and pyra/mythra should have been rex and even then there were so many better xc2 characters

thank goodness for that
Ok, I have some questions.

What do you mean by long line of bad mario characters? Piranha Plant I get not being a fan of (pretty random), but I'm curious to know who the other "bad" mario characters are & why.

Why does your view of Dragon Quest negatively affect your view on Hero?
What about Terry is boring? All I can think of is similar mechanics to Ryu & Ken or an obvious moveset translation.

And for Pyra/Mythra they're the main focus of XC2, it really wouldn't make much sense to pick others (so far we haven't seen a newcomer come from a dlc, and to me it really doesn't make much sense). Oddly I see that most people would rather not have Rex as the character (I dunno, maybe because they don't like the character or they just wanted a female focused newcomer; not sure).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ok, I have some questions.

What do you mean by long line of bad mario characters? Piranha Plant I get not being a fan of (pretty random), but I'm curious to know who the other "bad" mario characters are & why.

Why does your view of Dragon Quest negatively affect your view on Hero?
What about Terry is boring? All I can think of is similar mechanics to Ryu & Ken or an obvious moveset translation.

And for Pyra/Mythra they're the main focus of XC2, it really wouldn't make much sense to pick others (so far we haven't seen a newcomer come from a dlc, and to me it really doesn't make much sense). Oddly I see that most people would rather not have Rex as the character (I dunno, maybe because they don't like the character or they just wanted a female focused newcomer; not sure).
well admittedly most of that line is the koopalings but between them, doc, PP and daisy i feel like its a fair bit of a let down

well i mostly play characters i like which tend to be from games i like. so where at first i thought hero was quite fun but after playing DQ8 all i could think was good grief theres that guy from that game that bored me.
well as boring is subjective i could easily ask what's interesting about him? to me hes just some dumb guy with a stupidly long pony tail a daft trucker hat and a moveset that feels like a miss match of ryu and cloud.

the main focus of XC2 is rex's journey with the two of them in fact there are loads of major focuses in the story so to say they're the main focus isnt 100% accurate. theyre more like a driving force like the triforce. as for not making any sense well theres a lot in smash that doesnt make any sense. didnt it make sense to include dr mario over so many others? did it make sense to chose chrom over robin? did it make sense to chose inceneroar over the more popular choice? i would no to all of them. and trust me plenty of people wanted rex it was not a case of wanting one character for the sake of another.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
well admittedly most of that line is the koopalings but between them, doc, PP and daisy i feel like its a fair bit of a let down

well i mostly play characters i like which tend to be from games i like. so where at first i thought hero was quite fun but after playing DQ8 all i could think was good grief theres that guy from that game that bored me.
well as boring is subjective i could easily ask what's interesting about him? to me hes just some dumb guy with a stupidly long pony tail a daft trucker hat and a moveset that feels like a miss match of ryu and cloud.

the main focus of XC2 is rex's journey with the two of them in fact there are loads of major focuses in the story so to say they're the main focus isnt 100% accurate. theyre more like a driving force like the triforce. as for not making any sense well theres a lot in smash that doesnt make any sense. didnt it make sense to include dr mario over so many others? did it make sense to chose chrom over robin? did it make sense to chose inceneroar over the more popular choice? i would no to all of them. and trust me plenty of people wanted rex it was not a case of wanting one character for the sake of another.
I'm gonna interject this thread to point out one thing that I thought people were aware of right now. Dr. Mario was not included over anyone else. If he was included over anyone, it would have been Metal Mario. That's how clones work. That's explicitly why Sakurai chose Robin over Chrom. He already had Lucina be the Fire Emblem clone character and he didn't feel Chrom was able to feel unique so he wouldn't have been able to take the "newcomer" slot like Robin was able to, at least in his eyes.

Same goes with Daisy. She's more cloney than Dr. Mario, she is borderline a model swap for Peach. Clones/echoes only take the spots from other clones, not fully fledged newcomers. And for Piranha Plant I mean yeah I got nothing, if you're a big Waluigi, Geno, King Boo or whoever fan I can see how he'd seem like a waste of a Mario character.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm gonna interject this thread to point out one thing that I thought people were aware of right now. Dr. Mario was not included over anyone else. If he was included over anyone, it would have been Metal Mario. That's how clones work. That's explicitly why Sakurai chose Robin over Chrom. He already had Lucina be the Fire Emblem clone character and he didn't feel Chrom was able to feel unique so he wouldn't have been able to take the "newcomer" slot like Robin was able to, at least in his eyes.

Same goes with Daisy. She's more cloney than Dr. Mario, she is borderline a model swap for Peach. Clones/echoes only take the spots from other clones, not fully fledged newcomers. And for Piranha Plant I mean yeah I got nothing, if you're a big Waluigi, Geno, King Boo or whoever fan I can see how he'd seem like a waste of a Mario character.
but there were other options. there could have so many other clones they could have had instead

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think it's more understandable if you branch off into other franchises. I could see why someone would be upset with Chrom when there's other franchises that lack Echoes (or clones in general when there's definitely a few options).

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky

Speaking for the first half, I get it. Even though I like Piranha Plant, I would've rather had Petey Piranha be playable. And I wish Bowser Jr. used his paintbrush in his moveset more (otherwise I still like playing him).

Can't really say much about DQ since their appeal is that they're basic rpgs that don't deviate for more out-there gameplay gimmicks, I get it's not for everyone (though I haven't played most series in smash, that hasn't stopped me from playing characters from said series). The only thing I'd change for Hero is that the spells weren't 100% random, like maybe have certain slots dedicated to types of magic (like the 1st slot is status changing spells, the second is elemental spells, and so forth).

Can't really change much there for Terry, it's 100% about personal knowledge with the series. Many can have similar opinions about other characters they don't know much about (anime swordfighter statement anyone?).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Yeah, if you don't know much about SNK games, then it's perfectly understandable why Terry may have felt like a boring addition. Truth be told, his moveset in Smash doesn't help him stand out that much among the hundreds of other 2D fighters. By comparison, I feel like most of the other DLC characters have movesets that are too specific to themselves to seem generic (save for maybe Hero and Byleth).

That's just my take though.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Speaking for the first half, I get it. Even though I like Piranha Plant, I would've rather had Petey Piranha be playable. And I wish Bowser Jr. used his paintbrush in his moveset more (otherwise I still like playing him).

Can't really say much about DQ since their appeal is that they're basic rpgs that don't deviate for more out-there gameplay gimmicks, I get it's not for everyone (though I haven't played most series in smash, that hasn't stopped me from playing characters from said series). The only thing I'd change for Hero is that the spells weren't 100% random, like maybe have certain slots dedicated to types of magic (like the 1st slot is status changing spells, the second is elemental spells, and so forth).

Can't really change much there for Terry, it's 100% about personal knowledge with the series. Many can have similar opinions about other characters they don't know much about (anime swordfighter statement anyone?).
i know. and i know there are plenty of people who dont find them boring. but nobody can really help how they feel about characters, if we ever to get our wolf siblings in smash we're all painfully aware we'll have to deal with plenty of detractors

Staarih

Smash Master
Anyone else excited for New Pokémon Snap? I was obsessed with the N64 Pokémon Snap back in the day and I still can't believe we're getting a sequel. I've got mine ordered and hopefully it'll arrive on time so I can begin to play it during the weekend.

I try to avoid spoilers and go in as blind as I can, but I do wonder what the Galar/Gen VIII representation will be like. I know the starters are in at least, but I wonder if they've managed to cram in any others from the most recent gen. Guess I'll know soon enough.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Is anyone expecting any news from the Gen 4 Remakes or Legends Arceus later this month? Early June? Or at e3?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Is anyone expecting any news from the Gen 4 Remakes or Legends Arceus later this month? Early June? Or at e3?
I’m thinking early June there’ll be a Pokémon presents to shed some light in BDSP, and a little bit on Legends Arceus.

They’ll be briefly mentioned at the E3 direct, but they won’t have a major spotlight.

Staarih

Smash Master
I could see BDSP having some segment at E3 at least since they are coming this year - Sw/Sh had gameplay shown in their respective release year at E3. Legends will probably be just mentioned.

Then again, Pokemon is known to do their own thing so we could get news separate from E3 too.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Early e3 question time: what dormant series would you like to see come back that hasn't been announced yet?

I want F-Zero & Star Fox to come back: they don't need a gimmick to be made & they are ripe for worldbuilding. Plus I want to play modern Star Fox without overcomplicated controls & I'm invested in both universes to see the characters explored (screw it, make it as grand as Mass Effect & Halo in scope).
Same reasons I'm very hopeful for Metroid Prime 4 expanding the new alien species introduced in the previous prime games.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Early e3 question time: what dormant series would you like to see come back that hasn't been announced yet?

I want F-Zero & Star Fox to come back: they don't need a gimmick to be made & they are ripe for worldbuilding. Plus I want to play modern Star Fox without overcomplicated controls & I'm invested in both universes to see the characters explored (screw it, make it as grand as Mass Effect & Halo in scope).
Same reasons I'm very hopeful for Metroid Prime 4 expanding the new alien species introduced in the previous prime games.
that sounds like a terrible idea

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Star Fox needs to return, albeit with a new spin. I think Miyamoto is too headstrong and needs to stray away from SF64. Might benefit Star Fox if they tried an exploration style where you could freely roam and even explore planets on foot. It'd be a higher budget game, but that's what it takes to get people invested. The world has changed since the nineties.

F-Zero though? I don't think there's much of a point now. Not that the two can't coexist, but you know that between the two, Mario Kart will always win. If one racing game is already a massive success, why would you care about making a second? It doesn't surprise me that F-Zero has stayed dormant for so long, and I feel like the best and most realistic future for Captain Falcon is becoming playable in Mario Kart.

EarthBound is wasted potential. I know it bombed when it first released, but man, people would devour that series in 2021. RPGs are popular, and the setting appeals to the West far easier than most of the stuff we get.

Last edited:
Top Bottom