• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

Well then. Looks like there will be something tonight after all.

Tread carefully with all the hot takes going around. Smash Twitter has riled themselves up so much about how a TGA reveal has to be a massive icon of Western gaming even though Joker wasn't one, he was just a surprise that suggesting anyone else is liable to put a target on your back.

As for us...this probably isn't our biggest window of opportunity yet. More plausible than last time, but this one feels like it'll be a Ballot pick or someone who has otherwise been suggested for a while whose inclusion would tie up a loose end.

Last edited:

zacian

Smash Apprentice
tfw I reposted the new fighter tweet cuz I thought no one did it yet and then I noticed there was another page

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky

Well then. Looks like there will be something tonight after all.

Tread carefully with all the hot takes going around. Smash Twitter has riled themselves up so much about how a TGA reveal has to be a massive icon of Western gaming even though Joker wasn't one, he was just a surprise that suggesting anyone else is liable to put a target on your back.

As for us...this probably isn't our biggest window of opportunity yet. More plausible than last time, but this one feels like it'll be a Ballot pick or someone who has otherwise been suggested for a while whose inclusion would tie up a loose end.
I personally feel it's 99% likely this will be a 3rd party character, as I feel Nintendo would rather show off a Nintendo rep on their own (though a Zelda rep could work given the notoriety Breath of the Wild has with The Game Awards, but that's stretching it quite a tad).

And as for our chances, I think Fighter #9 is our best bet. To me Fighter #10 could be revealed around e3 time, only to wait a while for it to come out. It'll ultimately depend on when fighter #8 releases.

Also, it's quite likely we must wait till near the end of the awards for the reveal.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think the character necessarily HAS to be "big". Even without COVID-19, Min Min was likely being revealed at E3 and released shortly after. Steve may have gotten a reveal as well, but he probably wouldn't have gotten a presentation on top of Min Min's.

I'm leaning toward third-party as well, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to say that this character will be something as massive as FF or Minecraft.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I don't think the character necessarily HAS to be "big". Even without COVID-19, Min Min was likely being revealed at E3 and released shortly after. Steve may have gotten a reveal as well, but he probably wouldn't have gotten a presentation on top of Min Min's.

I'm leaning toward third-party as well, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to say that this character will be something as massive as FF or Minecraft.
Is Crash considered that big? The only characters I feel are that big are Sora & Master Chief (or an out there pick like Gordon Freeman from Half-Life & Kratos).

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Um... I didn't see that coming (also that trailer is THE type of trailer I always wanted. More like these please).

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Well then. That was...unexpected. Simultaneously someone who fit the gravitas of an event like this and defied all the expectations leading up to the show.

Where does that leave us? Well, probably the same as before. Maybe a little worse off if they're wary of adding yet another swordfighter, though the playstyles would be so different that I don't think it'd be a big factor.

I suppose we wait until Fighter #9 gets revealed in...March-ish?

...I may or may have already imagined a trailer that starts immediately where this one left off, with Sephiroth charging the remaining fighters only for Zacian and Zamazenta to beam down like in the fight against Eternatus and block the way.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
It's a shame Sora seems to be out. But I was really hoping for more Final Fantasy music in general, so hopefully they give us more than another 2.
I'm loving the new stage, we rarely get endgame locations as stages in smash. And, is it just me, or did they give a unique animation to cloud's final smash in the advent children costume/for doing it on Sephiroth?

(Also I think I'm too obsessed with the Greninja shot from the trailer. It's quite surrreal to see pokemon or any Nintendo thing in this quality of CGI. heck even Banjo looked insane).

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If anything, today was good for us. Both the franchise and the specific game were already represented on the roster, so arguing that a new Pokémon wouldn't bring anything new is pretty fruitless now.

As for this effecting Zacian, I doubt it. Cloud and Corrin were revealed back-to-back, so I doubt they genuinely care if people will be offended.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
If anything, today was good for us. Both the franchise and the specific game were already represented on the roster, so arguing that a new Pokémon wouldn't bring anything new is pretty fruitless now.

As for this effecting Zacian, I doubt it. Cloud and Corrin were revealed back-to-back, so I doubt they genuinely care if people will be offended.
Sadly, people will complain about a pokemon rep period. But I do feel fighter #9 is the more likely spot for a pokemon rep.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
For me at least because Sephiroth wasn't on my mind for most of smash speculation, much less for The Game Awards (even if it makes the most sense). Plus I was misslead thanks to how all over the place FF licenses & copyrights were for every component of the series.

And maybe I was thinking Sakurai would represent a new Square series before giving a second rep to one.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Out of the seven third-party companies involved with Smash, Sega and Capcom are the only ones that I feel like have a decent chance. Microsoft and SE already have a character, Konami and Namco have gotten Mii costumes sprinkled throughout the pass, and SNK is...probably not getting anything.

Barring unrepresented companies, I think we're in a good position to get at least one more first-party.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
For me at least because Sephiroth wasn't on my mind for most of smash speculation, much less for The Game Awards (even if it makes the most sense). Plus I was misslead thanks to how all over the place FF licenses & copyrights were for every component of the series.

And maybe I was thinking Sakurai would represent a new Square series before giving a second rep to one.
well i can see how you might think that. sakurai is deeply hard to predict

Out of the seven third-party companies involved with Smash, Sega and Capcom are the only ones that I feel like have a decent chance. Microsoft and SE already have a character, Konami and Namco have gotten Mii costumes sprinkled throughout the pass, and SNK is...probably not getting anything.

Barring unrepresented companies, I think we're in a good position to get at least one more first-party.
didnt snk pretty much use all their stuff with terry

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky

I've seen people try to excuse Steve as Mojang so to keep speculating Master Chief as the true Microsoft rep (assuming Fighter's Pass 2 is the end). As for Sega, I can't really think of another rep that isn't from Sonic: I'd go with Eggman personally (heck, I'm shocked we haven't had another Sonic character playable already).

And I do agree we can expect at least 1 more 1st party. Pokemon, Xenoblade & Zelda I feel are the most likely series to get another rep. And given we're getting Sephiroth this month, Fighter #9 feels like the best spot for it, around spring.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I've seen people try to excuse Steve as Mojang so to keep speculating Master Chief as the true Microsoft rep (assuming Fighter's Pass 2 is the end). As for Sega, I can't really think of another rep that isn't from Sonic: I'd go with Eggman personally (heck, I'm shocked we haven't had another Sonic character playable already).

And I do agree we can expect at least 1 more 1st party. Pokemon, Xenoblade & Zelda I feel are the most likely series to get another rep. And given we're getting Sephiroth this month, Fighter #9 feels like the best spot for it, around spring.
Personally, I'm not expecting anything from any of the third-parties outside Capcom and to a much lesser extent Sega.

What I DO expect is some type of promotional first-party character thrown in just because their game is very new. It could be XC2, but I was thinking more along the lines of SwSh or BotW2 since Corrin and Byleth's games were close to six months old when they were added. Seems like they're aiming for games that come out during the DLC.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Personally, I'm not expecting anything from any of the third-parties outside Capcom and to a much lesser extent Sega.

What I DO expect is some type of promotional first-party character thrown in just because their game is very new. It could be XC2, but I was thinking more along the lines of SwSh or BotW2 since Corrin and Byleth's games were close to six months old when they were added. Seems like they're aiming for games that come out during the DLC.
I think Capcom & a new company (either Activision for Crash/Tracer or Koei Tecmo for Ryu Hayabusa) are likely to get a character. If we get a mii of Lloyd then I'll be 100% sure Namco won't get any characters (which is quite bizzare in my eyes).

As for the 1st party, if it's fighter #9, when would they reveal them? I'd probably say at the earliest it'd be late February or March.

So, how are we feeling about this pass so far; specifically the characters we've got.

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
If we had to get a sword and shield rep, this is who I'd take. They ARE the title. But i would want there to be two legendary dogs. They are pokemon so you could have that gens pokemon trainer with the legendaries switch between them. And maybe them riding one of them in the victory screen.

I think it would be both funny and cool.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Not gonna lie, I kinda miss having the promotional artwork for each newcomer in a specific artstyle to their respective series. The Min Min one was great & I do remember the Inklings one, but that's kind of it. Can you imagine a newcomer poster of Sephiroth, or joker, banjo or even the new pokemon?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not gonna lie, I kinda miss having the promotional artwork for each newcomer in a specific artstyle to their respective series. The Min Min one was great & I do remember the Inklings one, but that's kind of it. Can you imagine a newcomer poster of Sephiroth, or joker, banjo or even the new pokemon?
yeah id loved those too ive drawn a lot of fan ones

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Something that I love (and also a small concern) is the fact that speculation has been shaken up with these past few reveals. Hopefully this means people will branch off into other, not so talked about characters.
As for why there's a bit concern, it's the possibility of not getting a pokemon rep as yet another subvertion. Of course I'm also warry of other nintendo series, but it just feels like a new pokemon rep is the most obvious choice, perhaps too obvious (or I don't know, I'm probably overthinking & a pokemon rep is the 1st obvious pick for this pass).

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
We should keep an eye on if any details of Sephiroth's moveset help create precedent for us. If his One-Winged Form functions closely to Cloud's Limit mechanic, then we have reason to think they'd be willing to revisit PT's tag team mechanic as well and try a different take on it. If several moves get completely changed when the wing is out, then we have reason to think they'd be willing to tackle two movesets on one DLC fighter if it made sense to.

I'm confident we'll get at least one more first part, and decently confident there'll be two. Fighter #11 will probably be another super recent pick like Byleth and Corrin were. The question is what'll be done with 9 and 10.

I think we've hit the midpoint climax Smash reveal cycles tend to have--it'll be falling action from here on out. Fighter #10 may still be someone decently notable since that lines up with E3 again, so #9 could be someone lower key, a good spot for a SwSh character if they so chose to.

Well, "lower key" is relatively speaking with a franchise as Gigantamax-sized as Pokémon, but you get the idea. Speculation screws with perspectives.

As for the 1st party, if it's fighter #9, when would they reveal them? I'd probably say at the earliest it'd be late February or March.

There's been a recurring trend of DLC newcomers releasing close to new amiibo waves. Based on the March 26th release date for the next set, we're probably looking at some time around the back half of March through the first half of April.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I'm thinking it'd be fun to try & think how a gen 8 pokemon reveal trailer would begin. Would it be obvious it's pokemon from the start, would each gen 8 candidate have a different trailer to fit thier theme or would it be generally ambiguous for the sake of anticipation?

If they want to make it obvious from the start they could do another Greninja reveal with raining pokeballs from the sky into a battlefield with random characters fighting (maybe in a forest for Zacian/Zamazenta or in a Canyon for Toxtricity), leading into the newcomer showing up.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I'm thinking it'd be fun to try & think how a gen 8 pokemon reveal trailer would begin. Would it be obvious it's pokemon from the start, would each gen 8 candidate have a different trailer to fit thier theme or would it be generally ambiguous for the sake of anticipation?

If they want to make it obvious from the start they could do another Greninja reveal with raining pokeballs from the sky into a battlefield with random characters fighting (maybe in a forest for Zacian/Zamazenta or in a Canyon for Toxtricity), leading into the newcomer showing up.
Pokemon Battle Royale: Smash Edition

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
There's no telling what could happen to be honest. Greninja's was generic, and Incineroar's had a theme but nothing related to Pokémon.

If it does reference the games, I think it'd be nice if it started with Pokémon Trainer having a battle in Wyndon Stadium against various Smash fighters.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
One thing we will have to worry about in the showcase: Whether there are any Pokémon-themed Mii costumes. The presence of one would lower the odds of any becoming playable, since why not save it until their update? Would likely limit our options to a "super recent first party" niche at #11 or so, since they wouldn't have even narrowed down which game they wanted the newcomer from until...well, probably not until around when Fighter #9 is done.

Not likely we see a costume here since it's only happened once before (Team Rocket oufits in Terry's update), but...worth being wary of.

Appropriately enough, I've seen people talking about how a future trailer could start with the same setup as Sephiroth's, except with Dharkon instead of Galeem. It'd actually fit perfectly to have the legendaries do something to stun Dharkon and then beam down to fight the dark god alongside the other characters just like in the battle against Eternatus.

Could even throw in some extra thematic touches. Like Dharkon's power causing some of the puppet fighters to grow to giant size and loom over everyone, only to be struck down one by one with a flash of light in a single blow!

Last edited:
Top Bottom