• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
As surreal as it is, as of today's episode Ash finally has a Lucario.
Oh, and let the Cinderace-era begin as of Goh's Raboot evolving as well.

Darkest Day-arc comes to an end, will be interesting to see what is up next in the anime. Funny how Eternatus was captured (and locked at Magnolia's apparently). I wonder if we'll see Zacian/Zamazenta again, I don't think either were captured (or recorded in Goh' Dex) and the ending was left kinda open...
I feel for Eternatus, locked in Magnolia's basement. Poor dude must be having it rough.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
you dont have any evidence that people are no longer angry about steve. so dont go demanding evidence for my point when you havent presented any of your own. and people never get angry over mewtwo cause after nearly 25 years hes still the most overrated out all 898

look this has got to stop. The sirfetched thing was clearly a joke and now we’re arguing over the fandom opinions of the latest character which isn’t something you can prove definitively so lets just agree to disagree
You're the one who tried to undermine my Pokemon Smash Fighter recommendation, and if it was a joke then why didn't you say so? sarcasm is hard to express on the internet because we can't read facial or vocal cues online so whatever you type can often get taken literally.

Let's agree to disagree then.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The Galar arc was a little rushed, and the wolves didn't get nearly as much screentime as I had hoped. Can't say I wasn't expecting it though. The direction they're going with this anime makes it very difficult to properly flesh out a story.

Still, they did leave the door open at the end for more appearances. Maybe they'll do something else with Rose or have Sworward and Sheibert appear.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The Galar arc was a little rushed, and the wolves didn't get nearly as much screentime as I had hoped. Can't say I wasn't expecting it though. The direction they're going with this anime makes it very difficult to properly flesh out a story.

Still, they did leave the door open at the end for more appearances. Maybe they'll do something else with Rose or have Sworward and Sheibert appear.
maybe after all the did bring nebby back in sun and moon arc

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky

Or they could also make something up like the Megalith from XY & Z. The fact that all regions are in this series there's a lot they could do.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
They datamined recently that a third Kalos game was planned. There wasn't much on it, meaning it was scrapped rather early in development.
To me Kalos always felt unfinished. So many mysterious places that were off-limits or just served no purpose. And for the 3rd legendary to serve 0 purpose to the plot and then to be plopped with no ryme or reason into the next generation (again with no story importance). These were always fixed with a new game in that generation (either 3rd version or another sequel). But then we got nothing in 2015.

Easily Kalos is the most underused region out of them all.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Kalos felt even more rushed and underwhelming to me than Galar, and I think it shows in many areas. The story didn't flow along very well, the Legendaries just...existed, there weren't many new Pokémon outside the starters that stood out (possibly because only one of the new Pokémon had a Mega, and it was a Mythical), and they didn't flesh the region out nearly as much as they could've.

And the irony in all of this is that regardless of whether or not we get Galar as part of the DLC, Kalos will still have the second most content in Smash. A character, two stages, six tracks, and a handful of really odd Pokéball Pokémon.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
To me Kalos always felt unfinished. So many mysterious places that were off-limits or just served no purpose. And for the 3rd legendary to serve 0 purpose to the plot and then to be plopped with no ryme or reason into the next generation (again with no story importance). These were always fixed with a new game in that generation (either 3rd version or another sequel). But then we got nothing in 2015.

Easily Kalos is the most underused region out of them all.
Agreed, Kalos deserved more.

Yknow, if they ever made another Kalos game eventually, you think they'll finally introduce new Megas?

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Hard to believe it's been a year already. We'd seen a lot of ups and downs in the time since, both from Sword & Shield and from the world in general. Thank Arceus 2020 is almost over with.

Not out of the question. Zacian and Zamazenta both play pivotal roles in the games' postgame quest line, and they weren't specifically written out of the anime. We've had other legendaries in recent generations become recurring characters (Zygarde and Meltan/Melmetal specifically), so it's entirely possible it happens again here. Especially since they were tying Ash to Zacian and Goh to Zamazenta in the anime's intro and in promo material before the Darkest Day arc got going.

Best that we wait and see how things play out.

Sorry, I meant leaving Byleth for last was the mistake. Having the last character come from a series many people feel is saturated was going to have quite the backlash. The same would happen in this pass if fighter #11 was "another pokemon". I don't agree with the sentiments but I'm stating them from the general audience (many I've seen expect but don't want another pokemon). And it'd be nice for once to have the last reveal be generally exciting (even if it's not my hypest pick). I'm aware it's not necesarely under their control who releases first, but I'd hope they'd at least try to leave 1 third party for later.
Thing is...from a development standpoint, Byleth couldn't have gone earlier than fifth. The whole point was to have a very recent character who could do unique things, but pulling someone from a game that was still in development would've been a huge risk. Doing exactly that for Roy led to Melee getting his personality wrong, which is why they've seemed to avoid repeating that mistake (which is why they've waited to lock in the past two Pokémon newcomers until their games were nearly finished). What probably happened is they left a placeholder for "new first party character from a recent game" in the project plan for Fighters Pass 1, then waited right up until development on Fighter #5 needed to start before deciding exactly who they wanted. If they'd done it earlier than #5, fewer games would've been nearly finished and fewer characters would've been available to choose from!

It goes against expectations from people who wanted the craziest reveal saved for last, but from a marketing standpoint it made more sense to have the big stuff in the first half while the last couple characters were more about filling niches the others hadn't yet. Re-orienting the entire dev cycle and cutting off potential newcomer options for the sake of people who are only here to watch the reveals and care less about actually playing as the new fighters would be a mistake.

Does that make any sense?

So we're 1 month away from The Game Awards, who thinks a reveal could happen there? If we don't get a reveal then there's a good chance the character is a 1st party (of course it's no gurantee).
I think it's unlikely but not impossible. We didn't have a newcomer reveal there last year, and Smash is playing second fiddle now to Nintendo's new releases. I do think we'll get some news from Nintendo, but it'll probably be for a different game.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Hard to believe it's been a year already. We'd seen a lot of ups and downs in the time since, both from Sword & Shield and from the world in general. Thank Arceus 2020 is almost over with.

Not out of the question. Zacian and Zamazenta both play pivotal roles in the games' postgame quest line, and they weren't specifically written out of the anime. We've had other legendaries in recent generations become recurring characters (Zygarde and Meltan/Melmetal specifically), so it's entirely possible it happens again here. Especially since they were tying Ash to Zacian and Goh to Zamazenta in the anime's intro and in promo material before the Darkest Day arc got going.

Best that we wait and see how things play out.

Thing is...from a development standpoint, Byleth couldn't have gone earlier than fifth. The whole point was to have a very recent character who could do unique things, but pulling someone from a game that was still in development would've been a huge risk. Doing exactly that for Roy led to Melee getting his personality wrong, which is why they've seemed to avoid repeating that mistake (which is why they've waited to lock in the past two Pokémon newcomers until their games were nearly finished). What probably happened is they left a placeholder for "new first party character from a recent game" in the project plan for Fighters Pass 1, then waited right up until development on Fighter #5 needed to start before deciding exactly who they wanted. If they'd done it earlier than #5, fewer games would've been nearly finished and fewer characters would've been available to choose from!

It goes against expectations from people who wanted the craziest reveal saved for last, but from a marketing standpoint it made more sense to have the big stuff in the first half while the last couple characters were more about filling niches the others hadn't yet. Re-orienting the entire dev cycle and cutting off potential newcomer options for the sake of people who are only here to watch the reveals and care less about actually playing as the new fighters would be a mistake.

Does that make any sense?

I think it's unlikely but not impossible. We didn't have a newcomer reveal there last year, and Smash is playing second fiddle now to Nintendo's new releases. I do think we'll get some news from Nintendo, but it'll probably be for a different game.
I actually forgot that point, it was the same scenario with Corrin in smash 4 (it's quite crazy how lucky the FE releases have been with smash stuff). Which is why I feel this time with Sword/Shield being out for a while this won't be the issue.

Though I could easily see them do it again and end this pass with a zelda character to go with Age of Calamity, or more specifically the Breath of the Wild universe.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I actually forgot that point, it was the same scenario with Corrin in smash 4 (it's quite crazy how lucky the FE releases have been with smash stuff). Which is why I feel this time with Sword/Shield being out for a while this won't be the issue.

Though I could easily see them do it again and end this pass with a zelda character to go with Age of Calamity, or more specifically the Breath of the Wild universe.
I don't think AoC will be the inspiration for one of the DLC characters, and that's only because Zelda spin-offs are historically neglected in Smash. Plus, everything that's already representing BotW in Smash now can represent AoC just as well. Feels like it'd be more effective to choose content that can't be found in the orginal, and that's something BotW2 will undoubtedly offer more of than AoC.

I think it'll come down to something specifically from BotW2 and/or SwSh. At this point, I can't imagine anything else.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
its the same universe as the rest of the series
I meant as in Breath of the Wild is no longer just 1 game, but a series of games within the same continuum. Didn't know how else to word it.

I don't think AoC will be the inspiration for one of the DLC characters, and that's only because Zelda spin-offs are historically neglected in Smash. Plus, everything that's already representing BotW in Smash now can represent AoC just as well. Feels like it'd be more effective to choose content that can't be found in the orginal, and that's something BotW2 will undoubtedly offer more of than AoC.

I think it'll come down to something specifically from BotW2 and/or SwSh. At this point, I can't imagine anything else.
While it's not guranteed, there's that chance that Sakurai counts AoC given it's canon to Breath of the Wild. And in my eyes the representation for the Zelda series could be a lot better than having half the characters be 3 different versions of the exact same character.

And even then I feel a Kirby or Xenoblade character is more likely than another Zelda rep.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
And even then I feel a Kirby or Xenoblade character is more likely than another Zelda rep.
If this were the base game I might agree, but I think Nintendo having more input will cause the first-parties to be much more promotional.

I'll have to wait and see what characters are in BotW2, but due to the timing, I think it'll take priority over XC2 or a Kirby character.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
because theyre the same thing?
I was trying to find a way to seperate BotW, Age of Calamity & BotW2 from the rest of the zelda series.

A Saga was what I meant. The BotW saga.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Apparently Mewtwo from the first movie is returning in the newest Journeys episode.
Aside from one little comment that Ash has met him before, there's no continuity in the episode.

Old fans of the anime might appreciate it, but a lot of the returning characters in this series feel like they were wasted. Seems like the writers are banking on the sheer existence of these characters in episodes to get people excited. They really need to work on the execution of these characters and the plot of the episode a bit more.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Aside from one little comment that Ash has met him before, there's no continuity in the episode.

Old fans of the anime might appreciate it, but a lot of the returning characters in this series feel like they were wasted. Seems like the writers are banking on the sheer existence of these characters in episodes to get people excited. They really need to work on the execution of these characters and the plot of the episode a bit more.
to be fair that usually all it takes

Top Bottom