• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Koopa Prince: Bowser Jr - Come introduce yourself!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Dair doesn't seem to be that good to me, actually ~.~

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hey there Junior mains! I just came along to say, i'm currently using Bowser Jr. as a secondary and i'm finding him a lot of fun. I love the character (and I love all the koopalings <3 ) and although I doubt i'll be using him in tournament, he's a character i'll really really enjoy and be interested in seeing how he fares in the meta game. I'll be rooting for you guys! ^_^

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
This is how I :4bowserjr::
1) short hop
2) down air
3) winner

Seriously, that down air is REALLY good.
You guys probably know that already, but I feel that it has to be said once more.
First off: I wanna see that! Some one-sided beatdowns from the Koopas are always a fun watch.
Second: While it's possible to punish, I can confirm that it's also possible to kinda chain Dairs if short hopped! If they start going too far: Fair.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, everyone! Just wanted to officially say that I am now fully maining :4bowserjr:/:4larry:/:4morton:/:4wendy:/:4iggy:/:4roy:/:4lemmy:/:4ludwig:, with :4kirby: as my secondary and :4duckhunt: as my third, respectively.

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice
His down air does have a lot of landing lag, but it also does quite a lot of damage with its landing compared to other characters' landing-aerials. Not to mention his recovery ability is probably the best in the game! He's definitely my secondary, with :4drmario: as my main.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Doesn't his Dair cancel or at least have shorter lag at a certain point? Pretty positive you can SHFF it pretty effectively (if it connects). I also do a lot of FH Dairs, then FF at a certain point to autocancel into things. I think it's a pretty solid move.

His recovery is kinda... Not great. The fact that he can't use it again after getting hit is detrimental, especially since you need to recover pretty low to sweetspot the ledge. It's like Brawl Sonic's but not as good (except for the projectile drop being a KO move).

Like, it's actually pretty funny how similar BJ is to Sonic. Side-B Kart into Kart Jump + Aerial is basically like Sonic's spindash combos, and following up with Up-B to his hammer attack is a lot like a Sonic spring combo... But just all these things are with generally better power, have less options out of them, and are more of commitment. I guess the reward is higher though?

I still have a lot of fun with him. Definitely one of the newcomers I'm most interested in learning... Probably because of all the parallels I could draw.

I will also probably only use Bowser... Junior, not the Koopalings, and refer to him exclusively as BJ.

:093:

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Doesn't his Dair cancel or at least have shorter lag at a certain point? Pretty positive you can SHFF it pretty effectively (if it connects). I also do a lot of FH Dairs, then FF at a certain point to autocancel into things. I think it's a pretty solid move.

His recovery is kinda... Not great. The fact that he can't use it again after getting hit is detrimental, especially since you need to recover pretty low to sweetspot the ledge. It's like Brawl Sonic's but not as good (except for the projectile drop being a KO move).

Like, it's actually pretty funny how similar BJ is to Sonic. Side-B Kart into Kart Jump + Aerial is basically like Sonic's spindash combos, and following up with Up-B to his hammer attack is a lot like a Sonic spring combo... But just all these things are with generally better power, have less options out of them, and are more of commitment. I guess the reward is higher though?

I still have a lot of fun with him. Definitely one of the newcomers I'm most interested in learning... Probably because of all the parallels I could draw.

I will also probably only use Bowser... Junior, not the Koopalings, and refer to him exclusively as BJ.

Not true. Jr. DOES get his clown car back if he gets outside of it...
it's just sometimes he doesn't. Maybe it's only when he's hit out of the rising
part?

And it's come to my attention that overuse of the kart may be holding
him back.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
How are the Dismounted Air moves out of Ejector Seat? I heard of Dismount-F.Air and Dismount-B.Air being pretty good moves, but I figured to ask the actual mains.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Not true. Jr. DOES get his clown car back if he gets outside of it...
it's just sometimes he doesn't. Maybe it's only when he's hit out of the rising
part?
This all sounded really wrong so I started doing more research. Didn't have any luck in the moveset thread (but I did find THIS thread).

BJ can't Up-B again after he's been hit... Regardless of rising or whatever.
Unless (as THAT thread states) you press A during the freefall after being hit, which will respawn the clown car... I got it to work with his method (using a mechakoopa) but couldn't, for example, Up-B again after getting hit by Doc's pill, even at 999%.

I can only assume that knockback is the variable. It doesn't seem to be percentage.

Regardless, this is really weird. I guess I was wrong, but at least I found more of an answer than "just sometimes he doesn't".

Sorry if others already know this, but it doesn't seem like an obvious thing and I didn't see it in the stickied moveset thread. I'm left to assume that only moves with higher knockback reset the Up-B?

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
does anyone know how to reliably hit with side b? it combos into a ton. and when people learn how to get around it its all over for me. it suddenly becomes how well i can confuse them with mecha koopa but its never enough

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
does anyone know how to reliably hit with side b? it combos into a ton. and when people learn how to get around it its all over for me. it suddenly becomes how well i can confuse them with mecha koopa but its never enough
You can confuse with side-B too!
Don't forget, it can be jump cancelled. So for instance if someone like Little Mac or Marth sees it coming and readies a counter, do a hop to cancel it and when you hit the floor, their counter will probably still be going in terms of animation but not actually active.

Basically you can use it to mess with their heads too. It's doubly handy considering you can immediately air dodge when doing it too, in case anyone tries to smack you with a projectile.

Other than that it's also the fastest way to cover ground. Say you knock the enemy to the other side of the stage, use side-B to double-time it over to their side to keep up the assault.

It also goes at different speeds depending on if you tilt ahead while doing it. Maybe use that to throw off their timing too?

Not really sideb related but Ftilt and Fair together are probably the more reliable methods of edgeguarding due to their range and speed. Just reserve the cannons for when it's one of those high-priority types that can potentially also suicide meteor you in the air like Ike and Ganondorf.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
You can confuse with side-B too!
Don't forget, it can be jump cancelled. So for instance if someone like Little Mac or Marth sees it coming and readies a counter, do a hop to cancel it and when you hit the floor, their counter will probably still be going in terms of animation but not actually active.

Basically you can use it to mess with their heads too. It's doubly handy considering you can immediately air dodge when doing it too, in case anyone tries to smack you with a projectile.

Other than that it's also the fastest way to cover ground. Say you knock the enemy to the other side of the stage, use side-B to double-time it over to their side to keep up the assault.

It also goes at different speeds depending on if you tilt ahead while doing it. Maybe use that to throw off their timing too?

Not really sideb related but Ftilt and Fair together are probably the more reliable methods of edgeguarding due to their range and speed. Just reserve the cannons for when it's one of those high-priority types that can potentially also suicide meteor you in the air like Ike and Ganondorf.
yeah i jump cancel and use it for confusing all the time. i just wanna know how to confidently land the hit part tho since it combos into dair and u air. and even up b hammer. if i can figure out how to land this then its over :cool:

but ive found that double jump mecha koopa is fantastic for edgeguarding. just dropping it right over the ledge (or having it hit the ground and bounce over) honestly knocks them back more times then i can count. especially against characters like ganon and falcon. but i was also catching ikes side b and other stuff. it pressures the ledge well. i need to learn to edgeguard with this guy to its full potential since Jr can really do it.

you prefer to stay on stage when edgeguarding tho? i feel he has tools to go out and end it. but i havent been able to do it. i just thought it was my own lack of skill keeping me from actually doing that part well

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
yeah i jump cancel and use it for confusing all the time. i just wanna know how to confidently land the hit part tho since it combos into dair and u air. and even up b hammer. if i can figure out how to land this then its over :cool:

but ive found that double jump mecha koopa is fantastic for edgeguarding. just dropping it right over the ledge (or having it hit the ground and bounce over) honestly knocks them back more times then i can count. especially against characters like ganon and falcon. but i was also catching ikes side b and other stuff. it pressures the ledge well. i need to learn to edgeguard with this guy to its full potential since Jr can really do it.

you prefer to stay on stage when edgeguarding tho? i feel he has tools to go out and end it. but i havent been able to do it. i just thought it was my own lack of skill keeping me from actually doing that part well
So wait, if you drop it via air, it can potentially hit while landing?
Just wondering since I've experimented on training with doing that (didn't jump first) and it just went through them. If it does work this way it sounds like a nice little trick!

I mostly try and stay safe since I tend to doublejump without realising and end up getting my stupid ass sd'd. The fair and ftilt have some nice range and knockback (the latter having more range than it seems!) but require a bit of timing since moves like Marth's up B will overpower it... buuut he's totally helpless to a wrecking ball to the face right after in that case. His edgeguarding game is quite insane, just need to time it well and know what to use against who. Remember, you don't always have to get a straight ko, just knock em back enough so they can't recover, a ko's just a nice bonus.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
So wait, if you drop it via air, it can potentially hit while landing?
Just wondering since I've experimented on training with doing that (didn't jump first) and it just went through them. If it does work this way it sounds like a nice little trick!

I mostly try and stay safe since I tend to doublejump without realising and end up getting my stupid *** sd'd. The fair and ftilt have some nice range and knockback (the latter having more range than it seems!) but require a bit of timing since moves like Marth's up B will overpower it... buuut he's totally helpless to a wrecking ball to the face right after in that case. His edgeguarding game is quite insane, just need to time it well and know what to use against who. Remember, you don't always have to get a straight ko, just knock em back enough so they can't recover, a ko's just a nice bonus.
yes the mecha koopa hits while its landing. try it out again. idk why yours isnt hitting. i know the big mecha koopa doesnt hit while landing but the normal one definitely does

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think it's when the mechakoopa touches the ground
without hitting anybody that causes a period where it's non-active.

T-block

B2B TST
On a related note, on Yoshi's Island, you can do this thing where you pop up the Mechakoopa on the slanted ledge, and it bounces way out off-stage. It'll definitely catch your opponent by surprise the first time.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Also now I know what my problem was.
There's a bit where the mechakoopa's falling forward where it won't hit anyone but becomes a threat once it starts going straight down! So distance is the key
EDIT: Well not quite that long but it still needs a second. I think DK's recovery super-armours it to hell and it doesn't seem to do much to Bowser either... but you could fair them both fairly safely. Probably a similar story for ROB, not quite mechable but it's FAIR play *slaps self*

T-block

B2B TST
I don't see a GC controller helping us all that much tbh... the Koopalings are one of the easier characters to control with the 3DS I find. Retreating short hop f-air/b-air might be nice in some matchups I guess.

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
I have been hitting the lab with Bowser Jr. and he will more than likely be my main (at least until Mewtwo). My question is in what specific ways will a gamecube controller benefit Bowser Jr.?
The gamecube controllers would benefit active aerial characters. Bowser Jr. Is pretty straight forward. I practically had no problems wiht him in the 3ds. Characters like Jigglypuff would mostly benefit the GC controller. However, the c-stick would be useful to instant smash with every character if needed, including Bowser Jr.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
I don't see a GC controller helping us all that much tbh... the Koopalings are one of the easier characters to control with the 3DS I find. Retreating short hop f-air/b-air might be nice in some matchups I guess.
I just struggle with 3ds controls in general. A GC controller would benefit me in general. Thanks for mentioning stuff though.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Hey y'all. GrimTurtle/Razer here. I use Morton as a part of my duel main right now and have already placed 4th and 2nd at respectable tournaments here in TX. I'll have some video for y'all this week of some of my matches using him.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Oh, very, very nice!

Also, a GC controller would have a subtle benefit: the edges of the joystick are a bit angled so it'd be easier to angle fsmash. Also c-stick for better reaction with downsmash in terms of rolling punishing.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Oh, very, very nice!

Also, a GC controller would have a subtle benefit: the edges of the joystick are a bit angled so it'd be easier to angle fsmash. Also c-stick for better reaction with downsmash in terms of rolling punishing.
Yeah I fully plan on using GC controller this time around. 3DS is similar to it compared to nunchuck so I think I'm off to a good start.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Has anyone ever gotten screwed up by Bowser Jr.'s third jump? I've had some incidents where I've tried to recover, only for the Clown Car to explode in my face, AND screw up my fighter's recovery angle. This has even happened to me while I was using Rosalina, and the ironic part is that the CPU was set at level 1 when this incident happened.

Last edited:

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Has anyone ever gotten screwed up by Bowser Jr.'s third jump? I've had some incidents where I've tried to recover, only for the Clown Car to explode in my face, AND screw up my fighter's recovery angle. This has even happened to me while I was using Rosalina, and the ironic part is that the CPU was set at level 1 when this incident happened.
So this is when you're not playing jr?

Well, clown care explosions are a viable edgeguard move... for that reason upb2 (the meteor ejection) will be an especially horrid move to deal with!

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
The only instance I've messed up with BJ's recovery is when I side special towards a wall. It'll collapse and you have a very small chance to recover. Probably still need your second jump. I don't do these mistakes anymore.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Here some fresh videos for y'all from my most recent tourney where I got 2nd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4cJx33phjg&list=UUuBhMqosgW-ECZjJZ9pv0Dg - Swiss round vs Trela (Shulk)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n6ZhTsJ8gQ&list=UUuBhMqosgW-ECZjJZ9pv0Dg - vs Greninja (1 game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfCYnTzlNc4&list=UUuBhMqosgW-ECZjJZ9pv0Dg - Winner's Finals vs Trela (Shulk)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdqLFV0Ipck&list=UUuBhMqosgW-ECZjJZ9pv0Dg - Grand Finals vs Trela (Robin)

Disappointed in myself. I play poorly imo in grand finals. But enjoy the videos and let me know what y'all think.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
So I did every character in smash run, this might be due to maining but I feel those crazy kids do great in the bulk of the mode. A lot of things get swatted by fair and bair and smaller things like mites? Just run them over!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
So I did every character in smash run, this might be due to maining but I feel those crazy kids do great in the bulk of the mode. A lot of things get swatted by fair and bair and smaller things like mites? Just run them over!
They can also bring many powers due to their weight, despite the fact they pretty fast.
It also helps that the UAir is pretty strong and fast, perfect for clobbering those Lakitus.

Buddy002

Smash Cadet
Hi all,

So I went into Sm4sh know Bowser Jr. was going to be my main. He is my favorite video game character of all time! However, I have been struggling with his playstyle. I was wondering if you all have general tips for me on how to play the character. Thanks!

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Well, he is pretty hard to use right it seems. However a few points can be found in the videos thread, the "competetive viability" thread and there's even a specialty thread for general tips!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Nintendo of the Netherlands names Roy after a well-known Dutch stylist and calls him the stylist of the Koopas.

Headcanon accepted.

(BTW, The comment of the English version was "Roy's our Boy")

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Speaking of, after a random cpu partner I had while wasting time on smash led to

Basically, I now firmly believe Morton and Jigglypuff are super tight and Morty gets really protective over Jiggly! Morton seems a bit like one of those guys who'd love cute/squishy/cuddly creatures.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
So since I can't get this game till friday:

Anyone got any footage or gifs of Bowser Jr and/or the Koopalings swimming? :D

Top Bottom