• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Koopa Prince: Bowser Jr - Come introduce yourself!

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Mechakoopa is also good for protecting yourself against strong projectiles. Like if you have a Samus charging her Charge Shot, just let loose a mechakoopa and it'll eat it right up. Same with MegaMan's charged f-smash and many others.

UkeNicky

Smash Ace
NNID
UkeNicky
Hi, I'm UkeNicky :3
I usually frequent the Zelda / Rob boards but I've been taking interest in Bowsie Jr. & Koopalings lately so I hope to fit right in with you all :D

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Jr. (or more specifically Lemmy) is currently one of my two mains, and he's super-fun to play. Surprised I haven't posted in here yet, honestly.

Sheepat

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have any tips against the Rosaluma MU? How am I supposed to take out the Luma quickly?

Should I use the cannonball and mechakoopa to help destroy the Luma? I noticed that the Up-B could help bomb it when it's close to Rosalina.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Does anyone have any tips against the Rosaluma MU? How am I supposed to take out the Luma quickly?

Should I use the cannonball and mechakoopa to help destroy the Luma? I noticed that the Up-B could help bomb it when it's close to Rosalina.
One thing that I've found useful against Rosaluma is to take advantage of her down-special. Either throw out a Mechakoopa or shoot a cannon at her, and then rush in while she's swirling it in. Chances are, most likely you'll be able to do something to her while she's bringing it in or just in the end lag of that special.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys! Check out the front page of SmashBoards!!! According to Sakurai, Bowser Jr. (and possibly by extension, the Koopalings) were actually on the brink of being CUT from Smash 4! I don't know about you all, but MAN, I am I thanking God in Heaven they're ALL still playable!

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
just KO'ed a jigglypuff when I was at 107% and the jigglypuff was at 61%, I was terrified since he was winning, when he was trying to hit me in the air, I used his UP-B and used his hammer without the clown cart, we were both a little high in the air, so that could mean why, also that jigglypuff is the lightest character, thank god the hammer is powerful.

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
just KO'ed a jigglypuff when I was at 107% and the jigglypuff was at 61%, I was terrified since he was winning, when he was trying to hit me in the air, I used his UP-B and used his hammer without the clown cart, we were both a little high in the air, so that could mean why, also that jigglypuff is the lightest character, thank god the hammer is powerful.
You were on rage mode too.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
I think the knockback values are a bit different on the wii u, a lot of his moves don't knock back as much.
This is actually to Jr's advantage since his killmoves still kill (and are easier to do with c-stick) but things like Clown car spins actually can lead into other moves better (need to test exactly how much but I can rack up approximately 30% right away by spinout into jabbing)

In fact, the jump to wii u seems to be very kind to jr, watching online replays I'm seeing way more winners now!

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
well according to my in-game stats on Smash Wii-U Bowser Jr's actually the character i perform the best with....so I'm thinking of either dropping duck hunt as my main and moving Bowser Jr up to the secondary position(currently occupied by Wario)

i don't know why but i always seem to do quite well with Bowser Jr online(yes i know online isn't a indicator of skill but got nowhere else to play so meh....)while I'm not as great with my other characters it would seem....maybe Bowser Jr's just a really fun character to play and i can't understand that

Last edited:

Ajoski

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ajoski
Hey everyone. Played Melee long time ago, and I only recently started watching the competitive scene. (Only really "majors" tbh) Picked up Sm4sh since it had online play, and wanted to play Bowser Jr. I hope I can stop being a casual. :)

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Hello!

I am a casual player since melee who's looking to take Smash 4 more seriously than the previous games. At first I stuck with my mains from previous games (like C. Falcon, Mario, Falco, and Dedede), as well as the many characters I tend to play for fun (Bowser, DK, Ike, and Sonic).
But after giving Jr. a chance, I found his character design to be among the most over the top and hilarious to watch in the whole game. :) I don't care how good his eventhubs ranking is, or his tier placement. This guy is worth playing just for kicks. I mean, who else can summon a wrecking ball out of nowhere in midair? :D
On a more serious note, I like his jab combo, Fair and Bair, and the mechakoopa for versatility. I tend to prefer aerial approaches, which explains why I stuck with Falcon and like the disjointed hitboxes on this character a lot :)
But I also hate his crappy grab speed... it has cost me many a match on FG to fail to grab an opponent in time before getting smashed off stage... >.>
Hoping to improve after reading up here and maybe even stand a serious chance at tournaments with him! :)

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Crap, not sure who to main, Bowser Jr. or Villager, Bowser Jr. is great against a lot of players online, Sonic, Little Mac, etc, but Villager beats out Bowser Jr., but Villager loses mostly online against Shulk, Kirby, Sonic, Ganondorf, etc
im not being a tier guy, but im just saying, Villager can most likely beat Bowser Jr. but also get beaten losts of more times than Bowser Jr.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Crap, not sure who to main, Bowser Jr. or Villager, Bowser Jr. is great against a lot of players online, Sonic, Little Mac, etc, but Villager beats out Bowser Jr., but Villager loses mostly online against Shulk, Kirby, Sonic, Ganondorf, etc
im not being a tier guy, but im just saying, Villager can most likely beat Bowser Jr. but also get beaten losts of more times than Bowser Jr.
Depends on your playstyle,
Do you want to trick the opponent with Mechas and (ab)use your disjointed hitboxes to poke, along with a Spin Dash type move that comboes into anything, pick BJ.

Do you want to push the opponent off-stage with Rockets and Slingshots, pick Villager.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Depends on your playstyle,
Do you want to trick the opponent with Mechas and (ab)use your disjointed hitboxes to poke, along with a Spin Dash type move that comboes into anything, pick BJ.

Do you want to push the opponent off-stage with Rockets and Slingshots, pick Villager.
Wait, I don't understand, why do people call him BJ, that just..

KingoftheSocks

Smash Rookie
Hi guys
Been playing the Koopalings since I got this game for christmas and I've got a question. how do I deal with the Link and Pikachu Matchups, I've been getting some solid results with the Koopalings but I think I'm at a matchmaking point where everyone actually knows how to deal with the Koopalings and these two matchups are annoying me the most.
Thanks in advance

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
I think I said something about how the wii u was treating BJ and co a bit nicer?
I take it all back. Still doing terrible as ever. it's all either other peoples' saved replays (where they invariably win) and the ones that are from Jr and co are almost always losses anyway.

Also, we could do with a bit of R an' D regarding the up B, there's a difference to how far you fall first depending on momentum.

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
HI I'm new to this forum so I came by to say that I think Bowser Jr. is not very good and has only one boring play style.
Thx 4 your time! ~<3

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
HI I'm new to this forum so I came by to say that I think Bowser Jr. is not very good and has only one boring play style.
Thx 4 your time! ~<3
Please do not come here with only negativity, thank you.
Flaming is not allowed.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
@ Jay-kun Jay-kun If you are gonna say something like that you have to at least elaborate as to why you think so or otherwise it will just sound like trolling or that you are salty from losing as/to Bowser Jr.

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
@ Jay-kun Jay-kun If you are gonna say something like that you have to at least elaborate as to why you think so or otherwise it will just sound like trolling or that you are salty from losing as/to Bowser Jr.
Thx 4 asking, unlike some ppl who just straight on reject my post like abyssal lasbdnsnahs
Anyway, he can camp and most of his moves are multi hit, his f smash has hardly any lag, his car thing is spammable, and has more mobile version of DHD's can :/

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think this character has a lot going for him. He reminds me of the unique and useful trait of Ivysaur in Brawl that was "Multi-hits: The Game," except SDI isn't as effective against him. He has wonky autocancel timings (and the equivalent of on-hit autocancel with D-Air), great pokes all around, loads of KO potential, an effective and varied recovery, excellent traps, and a -lot- of misdirection, on top of what seems to be a reasonable amount of speed (at least, he's not slow).

I played with him a bit on the 3DS version, but dropped him in favor of learning Jigglypuff from the ground up. I think I'm gonna come back to him now; I see a lot of potential.

This also allows me to list historic bad guys as all of my characters underneath my personal info, which I like, too.

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
I think this character has a lot going for him. He reminds me of the unique and useful trait of Ivysaur in Brawl that was "Multi-hits: The Game," except SDI isn't as effective against him. He has wonky autocancel timings (and the equivalent of on-hit autocancel with D-Air), great pokes all around, loads of KO potential, an effective and varied recovery, excellent traps, and a -lot- of misdirection, on top of what seems to be a reasonable amount of speed (at least, he's not slow).

I played with him a bit on the 3DS version, but dropped him in favor of learning Jigglypuff from the ground up. I think I'm gonna come back to him now; I see a lot of potential.

This also allows me to list historic bad guys as all of my characters underneath my personal info, which I like, too.
Well I think all characters "have a lot going for them (him)" ...BJ can just camp...but at the same time does not look like a campy character:/

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Well I think all characters "have a lot going for them (him)" ...BJ can just camp...but at the same time does not look like a campy character:/
To be fair, a lot of characters can camp.

That doesn't mean everyone who plays him camps. I hardly ever sit off and fire projectiles, I go in.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm not used to playing a sword character, though. He has loads of disjoints, means of stage control, solid horizontal aerial speed, and a nice run turnaround.

Last edited:

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Not to mention sideB is a wonderful tool for fakeouts. You gonna hit spinout? Hit and air attack? Jump pre-emptively? Jump right at the start? Jump+airdodge behind someone and Bair them while they're turned away? hit them and go straight into upB?
Trying to counter one may lead to an opportunity for another after all. Sure a counter would hit if he tried to spinout but if he jumped and fair'd then you'd be wide open, ect.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
That must be why I see players lean on it so painfully hard.

Whatever works, though. It is quite flexible. Low risk/predictability for relatively high reward.

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
To be even more fair, every character can camp :/
Even so, it's not really appreciated when you come into the Bowser Jr. boards with the sole purpose to tell us that "we only have one playstyle and we play a bad character."

Because that it sorely incorrect.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Even so, it's not really appreciated when you come into the Bowser Jr. boards with the sole purpose to tell us that "we only have one playstyle and we play a bad character."

Because that it sorely incorrect.
Are you that same agustis laygssysa guy? xD i mentioned your name be4~<3

RELFEX WONDER!
nice profile pic change but other was better :3

also i have discovered a talent that I possess that allows me to main any character, given an hour to play him/her ~<3

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
@ Jay-kun Jay-kun It's kind of true that Bowser Junior can camp but he is actually pretty horrible at camping compared to other projectile users since the enemy can easily pick up the Mechakoopa if you are not playing agressively, and the canon is a very laggy attack. He can't really force a approach the same way.

He has very many other strengths but camping isn't one of them imo.

@ NidoMay NidoMay Yeah keeping the opponent guessing what you are gonna do when you are using Side B is one of the more important things to learn when playing Bowser Junior. My favorite thing about Side B is that it true combos into Hammer hit at 90% up to about 135% depending on the character, it's one of the most reliable KO options he has imo especially if you mix up your Side B usage to be unpredictable.

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
@ Jay-kun Jay-kun It's kind of true that Bowser Junior can camp but he is actually pretty horrible at camping compared to other projectile users since the enemy can easily pick up the Mechakoopa if you are not playing agressively, and the canon is a very laggy attack. He can't really force a approach the same way.

He has very many other strengths but straight out camping isn't one of them imo.

@ NidoMay NidoMay Yeah keeping the opponent guessing what you are gonna do when you are using Side B is one of the more important things to learn when playing Bowser Junior. My favorite thing about Side B is that it true combos into Hammer hit at 90% up to about 135% depending on the character, it's one of the most reliable KO options he has imo especially if you mix up your Side B usage to be unpredictable.
never said itwas'

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
With his pokes, I'd expect him to be rather good at forcing the opponent to come to him. Yes, part of this is being unpredictable in mid-range and that often requires you to make offensive/preemptive strikes, but I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't be daunting to move toward.

I know I'd want to hang out near the edge and goad people to move toward me.

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I always go straight to my opponent while also zooming all over the screen. It seems like my playstyles in 64, Melee, and PM are very bizarre for the characters I use, and it seems to have carried over to Smash 4.

I pretty much never sit back and force an approach, that doesn't appeal to me at all. I have fun going in and going crazy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom