• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Koopa Prince: Bowser Jr - Come introduce yourself!

Shog

Smash Ace
Oh wow that is amazing. Glad to see that Koopa Kids fans(and Bowser Jr too of course) got an awesome hype trailer :)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I've been practicing this character the past week

Best newcomer

D

Deleted member

I was screaming throughout the Direct, "Uhh... are we just going to ignore Bowser Jr. there? I mean, where's his trailer? Hello?"
Then it was shown and it was absolutely incredible! I have a tough time putting it into words other than, "ALL HAIL THE KOOPA PRINCE!"

link2702

Smash Champion
i Just want to point out, bowser jr is still the most annoying little turd nintendo has ever came out with, and he is my personal punching bag in smash4.:troll:

Koopalings are 1000000000x better though, I actually enjoy playing them. :3

bowser jr just likes to think he is the mascot in the clown copter, but really lemmy, ludwig, roy, morton jr. wendy, iggy, and larry are.

and shame on anyone who gets offended by something lighthearted like this.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
So on a scale of "amazing" to "the greatest thing I've witnessed" how incredible was that trailer?

Because, I must say, I could watch it several times over and still love it.
In fact, I've already done so. And I may watch it again right now!

Just...sooo good.
And I already knew Jr. was in the game! And I still love it and got goosebumps!

As such a big Mario fan...

Just seeing that in the trailer brought such a huge smile to my face.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The part Jr. laughs, right before the Koopalings appearing, was so awesome.

Anyways, I find weird that Nintendo is yet to upload his video in the Super Smash Bros. channel. Why Nintendo :c

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The part Jr. laughs, right before the Koopalings appearing, was so awesome.

Anyways, I find weird that Nintendo is yet to upload his video in the Super Smash Bros. channel. Why Nintendo :c
They did. It's on the main site in his page too.

It's called "The Future King"

Last edited:

Reila

They did. It's on the main site in his page too.

It's called "The Future King"
Oh? Cool.

Still weird, because I looked into the "Videos" section in the main site and it isn't there. I have the Smash Bros. channel subscribed on YouTube and the video didn't show up in my YouTube homepage either.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Making my sig Jr. themed.

Should I use my current one or the one where the Koopa Kids are one the cliff?

Edit: Derp Larry for President. I'm keeping this one.

Last edited:

VileFC3S

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KookiDowgRX-7
I just want to poke Bowser Jr's big nose. Oh and thanks for that image Reila!

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Gotta love how when the Koopalings appeared Lemmy was bouncing around and Larry was trying to look intimidating... but couldn't due to massive dork grin. X3

On that thought, I really do appreciate their addition into ssb4, they could have so easily just had alternate colours and scarves for Jr but they went and gave us the whole brat pack!

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
what would jr's best throw be? im finding d throw to be kinda bad although it looks cool. f throw does 2% more and seems to set up slightly better. u throw can lead to u airs. but im just wondering what you guys found.

also how have you guys been using canon ball and mecha koopa? ive been releasing koopa behind me and using the canon ball to cover him so they dont pick him up. it seems to work well since if they jump over i can fair. if they shield i can go grab. it seems to cover well. imo. once again i wanna see how you're using it since mines still pretty telegraphed

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Did anyone think Bowser Jr's trailer was a continuation of Megaman's trailer, the night canyon setting is still the same.
Somewhere nearby is where the Greninja and Charizard trailer took place. It doesn't look exactly the same, but you can tell it's in a similar, nearby location.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Gotta love how when the Koopalings appeared Lemmy was bouncing around and Larry was trying to look intimidating... but couldn't due to massive dork grin. X3

On that thought, I really do appreciate their addition into ssb4, they could have so easily just had alternate colours and scarves for Jr but they went and gave us the whole brat pack!
I liked the salute heheh

what would jr's best throw be? im finding d throw to be kinda bad although it looks cool. f throw does 2% more and seems to set up slightly better. u throw can lead to u airs. but im just wondering what you guys found.

also how have you guys been using canon ball and mecha koopa? ive been releasing koopa behind me and using the canon ball to cover him so they dont pick him up. it seems to work well since if they jump over i can fair. if they shield i can go grab. it seems to cover well. imo. once again i wanna see how you're using it since mines still pretty telegraphed
I usually resort to backthrow just cuz it does the most damage, you're right that you can't really do much after a throw with him.

and with the mechas I don't actually use them that much, it's more a counter for people that want to bum rush into you / some projectiles, assuming you can get it inbetween you and the other dude. also aiming it behind you so you can grab it. cannon for me is usually just edgeguarding :x

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
I find the throws (particularly the backthrow) aren't so much a combo starter rather than a way to catch opponents off guard and hurl the offstage. It's usually once they're trying to recover the the cannonballs and other such things become quite the pain for them!
Basically I tend to use the Cannonball for edgeguarding, it's probably where a lot of my kos came from against horizontal recovering characters.

Basically I tend to favour getting foes offstage where it's quite a bit harder to dodge things like cannons and drills.~
Ftilt is also very helpful and I've been experimenting on fakeouts with the clown kart.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I find it funny that not too long ago, I used to hate Bowser Jr, but he recently grew on me and now I adore the character, to the point where I made a RP Page of him on Facebook.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
I find it funny that not too long ago, I used to hate Bowser Jr, but he recently grew on me and now I adore the character, to the point where I made a RP Page of him on Facebook.
Probably because a lot of people thought at first he'd be replacing the much more beloved Koopalings. Then I think people softened on him when NSMBW came out then some people turned against him after that "he's the only son of Bowser" thing which I feel like Ninty's trying to go back on without saying so, given the pairups of Wendy and Bowser in some of the recent promo images/victory montage and all...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Probably because a lot of people thought at first he'd be replacing the much more beloved Koopalings. Then I think people softened on him when NSMBW came out then some people turned against him after that "he's the only son of Bowser" thing which I feel like Ninty's trying to go back on without saying so, given the pairups of Wendy and Bowser in some of the recent promo images/victory montage and all...
So.....basically, you think Nintendo's starting to possibly bring back the idea that all 7 Koopalings are also Bowser's kids again? Because....I SO HOPE THAT'S TRUE.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
So.....basically, you think Nintendo's starting to possibly bring back the idea that all 7 Koopalings are also Bowser's kids again? Because....I SO HOPE THAT'S TRUE.
Well it might seem that way. After all, following the announcement they
- Appeared in the next big Mario kart, WITHOUT Jr no less
- Had appearances in smash which again, they didn't have to but they did anyway!
- While not for certain, apparently Iggy's trophy description in the japanese version says he refers to himself as ‘boku-chan’ or even the regular english mentioning he talks in a cutesy manner. Keeping in mind how most of their descriptions talk about their appearances in the main games, it seems to imply that maybe that might come into play, as in a game with dialogue or something of the like!

Basically it's like their roles exploded suddenly with two close-by playable roles so I'm getting the feeling that Ninty's trying to take it back buuuut might consider it unprofessional to officially retract something based on fan reaction...
But maybe I'm just overthinking as usual!

Reila

I am curious, why do people make a big deal about Koopalings being Bowser's kids? Whatever they are is completely irrelevant. I doubt Nintendo would go back on what they said about Koopalings not being Bowser's kids, they have no reason to do so. Koopalings are back in Mario games because they had no reason to leave, to begin with. While I wouldn't mind if that happened (as I said, that doesn't change the Koopalings in any way), there is no evidence supporting it will happen.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I am curious, why do people make a big deal about Koopalings being Bowser's kids? Whatever they are is completely irrelevant. I doubt Nintendo would go back on what they said about Koopalings not being Bowser's kids, they have no reason to do so. Koopalings are back in Mario games because they had no reason to leave, to begin with. While I wouldn't mind if that happened (as I said, that doesn't change the Koopalings in any way), there is no evidence supporting it will happen.
Personally, I've always felt that something about them being Bowser's kids, alongside Jr., made them (and especially Bowser) have "personality" to the Koopa family line. I mean I ADORE Bowser Jr., don't get me wrong, but the fact that it's been retconned that the Koopalings are no longer Bowser's kids, it just feels so...."cliche" that Bowser's only kid would be Jr. I mean I just feel that with 8 kids, it made me feel that it gave Bowser more to be desired on. I mean I heard somewhere that when the Koopalings were still counted as Bowser's children in NSMBW, they reportedly "moved out" of the "house", because they were in their late teens/early adult years at the time. It seemed so funny to me that that's why they didn't show in too many Mario games for a while. Overall, as I've said before, if Nintendo IS considering taking back their original statement and making Larry, Morton Jr., Wendy, Iggy, Roy, Lemmy, and Ludwig his kids again, I would not complain that it was "unprofessional". I'd actually welcome the idea with open arms.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
@ ndayday ndayday There are TOO many threads being made for simple questions/situations/thoughts that could easily be discussed in excisting (sticky) topics. Could we/the mods please do something about it so it's more clarifying/organized here? :)

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
@ ndayday ndayday There are TOO many threads being made for simple questions/situations/thoughts that could easily be discussed in excisting (sticky) topics. Could we/the mods please do something about it so it's more clarifying/organized here? :)
God do I gotta do EVERYTHING around here?!!

well...I guess I do...

anyway I cleaned up a little bit, if there are more you think are better off closed/merged just let me know or report em, I think in most cases I'll just let them die off especially if they haven't been responded to in a while.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
God do I gotta do EVERYTHING around here?!!

well...I guess I do...

anyway I cleaned up a little bit, if there are more you think are better off closed/merged just let me know or report em, I think in most cases I'll just let them die off especially if they haven't been responded to in a while.
Lol xD

Thanks, you rock :D

Last edited:

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
just my iggy being clutch nbd

(link removed, I can't post em yet D:)
Hehehe, love that move. It seems like the Koopa Kids thrive off of making opponents predict their moves... and punishing them for it. Abandon ship I like to use to punish those who try and attack from below, especially great when they try to charge an upsmash only to get blown up!
Also Kart fakeouts I've found a case of them working, against those like Lucario that have counters. They see you coming at them, put up a counter, you jump and airdodge to cancel and get em while they're wide open!

D

Deleted member

I love how I really like to play with this guy but only recently found out that you can cancel the Clown Kart by jumping. 2derp4me
But yea, I really like his character trailer, especially with the clutch Bowser Jr.'s Fort music stepping in.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
I've also noticed with his fair it's fast enough to get about two in (one on first jump, other on second) before having to return to solid ground. It might be riskier but sometimes more effective edgeguarding, especially against characters with poor recovery that might not be in cannon range. Just give em a nice nudge (or a big wallop) away from the stage, sometimes abandon ship might catch them right after since they'll probably have fallen below the stage.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Look at all these familiar faces. Hi Ndayday, hi T-Block.

Bowser Jr. looks fun as hell. As far as the new characters go he's been someone I'm interested in playing. ...now to find someone who has a Wii U.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Oh? Cool.

Still weird, because I looked into the "Videos" section in the main site and it isn't there. I have the Smash Bros. channel subscribed on YouTube and the video didn't show up in my YouTube homepage either.
That's because they're not fixing to put up the video on the main video page, he's still a secret character for the 3DS version, silly. :p

DokemonStudios

Smash Rookie
Okay, I'm not going to lie. When I first heard that Bowser Jr is going to be a fighter I was like, "Really? Bowser Jr? As if we haven't had enough Mario characters in this game. And bringing back Dr Mario doesn't help." But when I saw what his moves are like and the fact that the koopalings are his skins. My skepticism was put to rest.

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice
This is how I :4bowserjr::
1) short hop
2) down air
3) winner

Seriously, that down air is REALLY good.
You guys probably know that already, but I feel that it has to be said once more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom