• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Jedi Council

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
2 things:

1. Ballistic is definitely not ready. He posts links for his opinion, then, when someone counters it, he just posts it again.

2. I noticed a drop in activity from 104.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
1. Ballistic is definitely not ready. He posts links for his opinion, then, when someone counters it, he just posts it again.
Yeah. He dosen't react to criticism well. If anyone argues against him, he just brushes it away and says, "but I'm right" or something to the effect.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Did I mention?

He sent me a PM after my remark a couple of pages ago, and told me to read something. I knew that wasn't the best debating style, so I told him. He told me to read it again.

:rolleyes:

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
No, seriously though. GS is right. PGers are able to read this thread, and we are obligated to remain civil and try not to offend people. It's fine to say someone is not ready (and I agree in this case), but we should strive to not abase or deride PGers.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
@acrostic I don't care.
No matter who sends a personal message, there is a fundamental premise that the message sent should remain personal regardless of who the sender was or the personal relationship between you and them. Such devices are intended to protect both parties and enable greater honesty to be engaged during discourse. Divulging such information ruins the sense of trust that people place in you, their own sense of judgment, and the system as a whole. Therefore, even though you may not care about my opinion, I happen to be concerned that people can trust this community and the system that is put into place.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
^ I agree. PMs are meant to be private for a reason. Divulging a PM is kind of like somebody whispering a secret of theirs in your ear, and then immediately afterwards you say "HEY EVERYONE, GUESS WHAT HE/SHE JUST TOLD ME!"

On topic: I'm kinda disappointed with the way the PG is going. Activity has really fallen off a cliff for everyone we thought was promising (eschemat, dabuz, BUSH, professor mgw, and abhishekh). The only reasonably active people left are Ballistics and TOS, neither of whom are ready (although TOS is at least on the right track).

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Credit to Arizen, I don't think I've seen so many people get owned in one post.

Even EE copped it, and he's usually pretty cool.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
^ I agree. PMs are meant to be private for a reason. Divulging a PM is kind of like somebody whispering a secret of theirs in your ear, and then immediately afterwards you say "HEY EVERYONE, GUESS WHAT HE/SHE JUST TOLD ME!"
god, I hated that kid in school. ><

On topic: I'm kinda disappointed with the way the PG is going. Activity has really fallen off a cliff for everyone we thought was promising (eschemat, dabuz, BUSH, professor mgw, and abhishekh). The only reasonably active people left are Ballistics and TOS, neither of whom are ready (although TOS is at least on the right track).
It's bound to go through some falls in activity every now and then. Considering how many posters have come in and been graduated to DH (compared to say, when myself got admitted) it's quite healthy still. Many of the posters you mention I expect to come back, though they may feel that they were being overshadowed by other posters. We'll see.

Puu's first post was quite good. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=11280089#post11280089

I think it was very good for a first post. He should be ready quite soon. And is anyone going to reply to Arizen's post in the centre stage?
First a agree fully, Puu's got a good head on his shoulders and seems quite ready to get into debating with the best of them.

As for Arizen's post, I read it. I feel as if he's taking the middle road, trying to play nice guy in the midst of a fray. I'll admit, when I went awol for a couple days, I definitely did NOT expect to come back to find a virtual flame war between Ballistic et al. But he brought it on himself.

"I promise to give anyone's opinions respect" or some such thing, then the first argument against him "WRONG!!! Git at me sucka!" Such an action is generally regarded as trolling, and I think the mods wanted to nip this one in the bud before it got out of hand so that's why everyone jumped on him. But, well, he's still there, and gathering his Truther evidence for his devoted topic, so we'll see how it goes. I actually don't mind his stance, it's a little paranoid, but if its a sound argument, I'm all for it. I just hope he can tell the difference between properly disagreeing with someone, and trolling.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Numbers seems intelligent enough but I think people had issues with his manners.

To be honest, I think the manners is what the selection process should be based on, more than the logic (logic is still important too obviously).

I also think Fragbait should be let in.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
To be honest, you need to engage in a debate with numbers before you can form an accurate assessment. If it was just mannerisms, I wouldn't be straying the fence and would be more vocal about letting numbers in on the basis of precedence. But as EE stated previously, there are multiple cases of hem hawing. To add further depth to this criticism, in many cases it seemed that numbers was not simply unable to perceive the other side of the discussion that opposed his own thought process, but that there was a conscientious effort taken on his part to blatantly refuse any iota of understanding for the contending side. Therefore you would pose points, but points were seemingly twisted and translated in numbers favor with a subjective biased slant and a "number" of other undesirables thrown in. Thus hem hawing would ensue such as in the [suicide] thread between vvvRapture & numbers where they had to work out core definitions for a whole page. That discussion ended with numbers exploding and referring to the discussion as being inane drivel or something of similar manner. The thing is that such measures seem necessary in order to prevent numbers from twisting such debates in his own manner. In the end, the person who opposes numbers isn't debating numbers, but a proverbial wall of misunderstandings that seems unwilling to give way anytime soon.

D

Deleted member

Ah, I just noticed I'm a debater now! Thanks for the kind words all.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
well said, Acrostic. I dunno. I like him because his style, though arrogant (I think I've used that word before to describe him) isn't exactly "wrong" for the DH. Indeed what you've pointed out is something that he'd have to work on. Perhaps I will challenge him to a debate in the Center Stage to finalize my opinion on his candidacy. We definitely don't want a troll in our midst, but this specific thing you've outlined, his tendency to waste time bantering on semantics IS fairly annoying, and typically a sign of a weak argument. We'll see if he can hold up.

Ah, I just noticed I'm a debater now! Thanks for the kind words all.
Yer welcome ^^ I saw there was unanimous support and that you'd applied but hadn't been let in yet so there ya go. Happy debating!

EDIT:

Next up for consideration:

Thino (0)
The Original Smasher (0)
Fragbait (+1)
Arizen (0)

I'll give my thoughts on these gents in a bit... gotta do some catch-up reading.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Thino (-1)
The Original Smasher (-1)
Fragbait (+1)
Arizen (0)

My votes from what I've read so far. Fragbait and Arizen are both on the fence for me. Neither has done anything impressive outside of their debate with each other. Might give Arizen a +1 if he posts in anything other than that one thread.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Wow, right after I said the PG was inactive, it exploded in activity. There's a lot of stuff to keep track of now, lol. It seems JoWiicide is posting a lot as well, but I haven't read his posts yet, so I'll decide on him later.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
Wow, right after I said the PG was inactive, it exploded in activity. There's a lot of stuff to keep track of now, lol. It seems JoWiicide is posting a lot as well, but I haven't read his posts yet, so I'll decide on him later.
Speaking of which his government thread really could use better English. It was abbreviated a lot, and because of that, it was hard to read. He needs to brush up on that. I've had a look at his other posts, and they seem to be okay.

Sieguest

Smash Master
I've only focused on TOS so far and right now I believe he could use more time. TOS definitely makes an effort, but he just can't pull up solid argument at this point. Also his counters usually are just rehashing of the exact same thing he said despite those points being defeated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom