• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Jedi Council

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Yeah, none of them really stand out. I'm retracting my (+1) from fragbait. I read over more of his posts and... meh. He has good potential though.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Please, stop recommending people the moment they join. Especially considering that it is hard to form an assessment off of two posts.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I know Cheeseball form the Smash 64 forums it was his GameFaqs FAQ that inadvertently made me a member of the World Smash Forums. He is a really great guy from what I have seen, but as you can tell my opinion is bias. There for my opinions in the Jedi counsel regarding Cheesball is null and void as I can not objectively form a non-bias opinion. Do keep an eye on him though, he has good smash64 debating skills maybe he might prove himself to be good in areas such as the ones we debate?

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
I think that UberMario is prone to warping and twisting the facts a little, at least in the ID in schools thread. He was suggesting that convergent a parallel evolution support intelligent design. He was also alluding to the God of the gaps argument. Both of these are pretty poor.

I've yet to see him argue in other threads however.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't know too much about Freeman123, but I will warn that he's one of those Dawkins-like atheists who comes into a debate saying "The Bible says God is physical" "Flying Spaghetti Monster" "theists used to say God was physical until science came along" etc.

Basically, all I know is that he went into a debate knowing absolutely nothing about the topic. And I don't mean that I just personally disagreed with his arguments, he was literally making completely incorrect, historically falsifiable claims.

He also said that he'd read philosophy and theology, yet talked as if he had no idea either discipline existed. For example, he claimed that theists said God was physical, then changed it to non-physical when science came about, when anyone who has read philosophy would know that the Ancient Greeks ahd non-phsyical notions of God, and that's where science in the western world began. He said the Bible depicts God as physical, and that Christians just changed their definition of God from physical to non-physical, yet anyone who had studied Christian philosophy or theology would know Christians have never claimed God was physical.

When I asked him to present evidence that Christians previously claimed God was physical prior to the prominence of science, he pretty much just ignored my challenge.

I don't don't know what he's like on other topics, but he did come into a debate knowing absolutely nothing about the disciplines and history concerning it, and then mostly likely lied by saying he had read it, when his debating reflected someone who didn't know philsoophy or theology even existed.

He could defend himself by saying he was trolling the entire time, but then is that really the kind of person we want here?

I'm not saying don't vote for him, I'm just giving you guys information on him, to allow you to make a more informed decision.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
No. I still read his posts and facepalm regularly.
His actual debate skill has increased by a notable number in my opinion, and he has been doing face palm ing less regularly.

Also I would like you guys to state your opinion on cheeseball my opinion of course does not count, but I think he is doing awesome, what are your guys thoughts.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Why would your opinion not count? You're a DHer, there are no ranks here.

Besides, the DH is so dead now (even more than when I first came here) that there simply isn't enough people for ranks. It's so small that once you become a DHer, you basically become a senior member of the community.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I haven't been reading up enough in the PG. I'll have to do some more researching. But I do think that we should try to leave past biases out when making this decision; I don't think anyone should ever be "blacklisted".

Why would your opinion not count? You're a DHer, there are no ranks here.
This.

Besides, the DH is so dead now (even more than when I first came here) that there simply isn't enough people for ranks. It's so small that once you become a DHer, you basically become a senior member of the community.
Eh, it's been in an activity slump over the last 10 days or so, but it was doing great before that. Slumps will happen every once in a while. I won't get worried unless it happens a bunch of times or for longer stretches of time.

Maybe this would be good timing to finally start up that DA contest?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It was doing great by the DH's low standards. We have a pretty small community compared to other parts of this board, but in a way, what we do is more conductive to our real lives than what's done on any other part of this site, so the lack of activity doesn't bother me too much.

Besides, most of the activity has been mainly in the PG, which is my point, that there are very few long time DHers here. Which is why pretty much anyone who gets admitted into the DH has been here long enough to be considered a senior member, unless you want to say hardly any of us are senior members.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Seniority-oriented appreciation system is adverse to a merit centered approach in which each individual post is appreciated for informative content and quality. There is a high probability that many threads get recycled in some way or form after a couple of months/years pass in a given section. Therefore, many posters perhaps feel that there is no longer any point in further participation as forum content does not usually exhibit vertical growth in terms of intellectual prowess, but rather repeats similar points and at best, expresses some horizontal growth in terms of creative spread. Once similar opinions are expressed for not only a second cycle, but a third, fifth, and seventh time it makes one question the purpose for sticking around. Especially when certain responses are not as logically relevant as past comments and previous arguments. Senior members who have nothing else to contribute could greatly contribute by being "diggers" and presenting the best points in old threads in order to promote vertical growth and "conversation-pushers" by moving the conversation to areas of deeper conversation therefore promoting lateral growth. However, it is more likely that they abandon the forum in lieu of more realistic pursuits as digging through old posts of previous colleagues who have deserted the board will likely incite an existential meltdown to some extent and result in the pursuit of more practical endeavors rather than serving as a relic-oriented gopher. Just a speculation.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I'm just saying don't worry about activity levels. And of course we repeat discussions; so does everyone in real life. We have conversations with people on the same topic thousands of times. If people in real life never repeated any conversations, we'd barely say anything at all.

Nor do I even think repetition is even the main issue here. Many, many topics have never been addressed. Just look at the archives. Think of all the topics that have never come up. There's plenty. Plus, there's always new current events happening, so there's usually things to discuss.

The main problem is just that people get busy and don't take the time to make new topics, so they just check daily to look for new posts to respond to. If there aren't any, they leave. And eventually, everyone gets stuck in that cycle.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
The main problem is just that people get busy and don't take the time to make new topics, so they just check daily to look for new posts to respond to. If there aren't any, they leave. And eventually, everyone gets stuck in that cycle.
I feel that, such a thing is happening to me. Though, I may start a thread soon.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
What do people think of Jaswa? I looked at the links he provided to his posts and he seems pretty good.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
What do you guys think of Sex Robot? He presents his points in a fair and convincing manner, and, in his field of experience, seems very passionate and knowledgeable. Very good qualifications for a debate hall member.

Well, eLPee finally decided to try the bet he made with me...

Thoughts?
Haven't seen enough of him yet.

What do people think of Jaswa? I looked at the links he provided to his posts and he seems pretty good.
Hm... he's pretty good. Hasn't ever amazed me, but there's nothing wrong with anything he's done.

--------------------------

I think ballin4life and cheeseball are doing well. Thoughts?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Are you dooooooown with sex robot, KG? I would admit him on general principle but that's just me. Cause ya know, it's all about the seeeeeeeex.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
It would be really funny. I mean yeah, I get that we're supposed to be serious in the DH, but Sex Robot is quite frankly awesome, and there's nothing wrong with a little fun, right? I mean, look at the Arf thread in the Smashboards Information Center.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
It would be really funny. I mean yeah, I get that we're supposed to be serious in the DH, but Sex Robot is quite frankly awesome, and there's nothing wrong with a little fun, right? I mean, look at the Arf thread in the Smashboards Information Center.
This.

The DH needs to get dooooooooown.

(the place, not me >_>)

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Is there some joke here that I'm not in on? The Arf thread is a very serious thread.

Anyway, I think that Sex Robot is a very level-headed, reasonable debater with logical arguments. His positions fall into place quite mechanically. Moreover, he clearly knows how to get down. I say we admit him.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
[color=c65f632]Is sexbot in yet?

On a less serious note, flat out no for Nicholas. He claims the bible is true., and gets practically all his arguments from there. Oh, and he expects non-believers of god to show proof that god doesn't exist[/color]

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
1. Sex Robot hasn't been on the site since 10/11/10, so he couldn't have applied yet. I sent him a PM so when he gets back on he'll apply.

2. I still like cheeseball and say we should let him in. Thoughts? And yeah Jaswa is probably good enough as well.

EDIT: I like Pragmatic as well.

EDIT: I'm on the fence with A1lion; he's a decent debater but I am impressed by his decision to step down in a debate. It's hard to do, but sometimes it's the right choice.

D

Deleted member

[color=c65f632]Is sexbot in yet?

On a less serious note, flat out no for Nicholas. He claims the bible is true., and gets practically all his arguments from there. Oh, and he expects non-believers of god to show proof that god doesn't exist[/color]
We should say no to somebody just because they have a different view. I also think he's wrong too but his presentation isn't bad. We should probably wait until he posts in non-Christianity threads first, and the same goes for Jaswa. People are generally completely different inside and outside religion debates.

Also, is Sex Robot actually coming in?

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
We should say no to somebody just because they have a different view. I also think he's wrong too but his presentation isn't bad. We should probably wait until he posts in non-Christianity threads first, and the same goes for Jaswa. People are generally completely different inside and outside religion debates.

Also, is Sex Robot actually coming in?
Jaswa and Nicholas have both posted in the firearms thread. The debating is okay there. It doesn't stand out, but it isn't bad either.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Dark Horse did you even read the thread? The evidence he provided was external to the Bible. He also showed knowledge of other historical figures and sources.

Honestly, what is it with atheists on these boards? They just make up crap about theists; "theists say X".

Seriously, if you guys are going to make claims about theists, cite prominent theists who have committed those fallacies.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Like what?

His OP for the "new testament" thread: "Because the difference between some volumes in the new testament and jesus dying is around 60 years, compared to alexander the great, god exist."

Oh, and "Jesus has filled out all of the OT prophecies IRL"

And he also claims everything supporting evolution is a hoax.

(that's all i've seen of him, and it doesn't look pretty)

Back yourself up before you spew garbage out of your mouth.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Oh, and "Jesus has filled out all of the OT prophecies IRL"
Haha, this made me chuckle a bit.

I dunno, he doesn't seem so bad all the time, but he's certainly not perfect.

But, lest we get in another admissions freeze, What about Cheeseball, Pragmatic, and Jaswa? I say yes to all 3.

EDIT: Not quite as sure on cheeseball, since he's posted only 6 times and not in the last few days, but the other two seem good enough.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
But, lest we get in another admissions freeze, What about Cheeseball, Pragmatic, and Jaswa? I say yes to all 3.

EDIT: Not quite as sure on cheeseball, since he's posted only 6 times and not in the last few days, but the other two seem good enough.
Cheeseball is okay, from what I've seen of him. Pragmatic, I haven't seen much of him, and for Jasawa, he's okay.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Please, stop recommending people the moment they join. Especially considering that it is hard to form an assessment off of two posts.
I think I need to know who that was directed toward, or if it was in general.

Cause like, it was posted the 6th, and today's the 15th, so it's been a little over a week and the discussion about cheeseball (and it -was- a discussion, not a recommendation) has gone from "he's looking pretty good" to "lets admit him" ... is this moving too fast? the right amount of time?

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
At the time I wrote that post, Cheeseball had only written two posts, he's written a lot more in the past week. I just think that discussing admission on the premise of two posts in the Proving Ground is a real stretch. That was the rationale behind the comment. It was intended for Dark Horse as I wanted a bit more detail as to why he found x or y poster worthy of discussion, rather than simply stating, "Any thoughts on X?" or "How about X? Thoughts?"

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
It was intended for Dark Horse as I wanted a bit more detail as to why he found x or y poster worthy of discussion, rather than simply stating, "Any thoughts on X?" or "How about X? Thoughts?"
I was just listing new people in the PG.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I was just listing new people in the PG.
Thanks for the clarification. I personally treated this thread under the impression that PG members shouldn't be favorably mentioned unless the poster had a strong opinion of them and wanted to nominate them somewhere along the road. The tone of your questions seemed rhetorical and I translated it as, "Hey look at this guy/gal! They are worth taking time out in order to check them out for the DH!" Under such impressions, it seemed rather ridiculous to give notice to a PG member who only wrote two posts. This assumption probably stems from the self-imposed idea that the Debate Hall runs on the concept of quality over quantity. Therefore recommendations themselves should be scarce in order to promote quality and not be bogged down by giving notice to individuals who were still getting acclimated to the PG. However, I have been corrected by KG, in that the thread's main intention is to mainly choose individuals who have the capability to read and write responses that remain on topic, with the expectation that they will improve their debating skills in the future. Unfortunately, old habits die hard.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Thanks for the clarification. I personally treated this thread under the impression that PG members shouldn't be favorably mentioned unless the poster had a strong opinion of them and wanted to nominate them somewhere along the road. The tone of your questions seemed rhetorical and I translated it as, "Hey look at this guy/gal! They are worth taking time out in order to check them out for the DH!"
Wha...

Well, eLPee finally decided to try the bet he made with me...

Thoughts?
Any thoughts on cheeseball341?
ballin4life and freeman123 in the PG too.

Thoughts?
How does that sound like "Hey, let this person in!"?

puu said:
It's not because of that. He uses the bible as his sole source, and, well see above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom