• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Jedi Council

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I agree with Acrostic, although I would note that abhis and Professor mgw have more solid logic, so I'd say they're a little bit further along the way than TOS.

EDIT: Keep an eye on this guy. A few more posts like that and I'll support his acceptance.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Alright, there seems to be a virtually unanimous agreement that gm jack and spookyskeptic should be let in, so I say we make it happen. BOB SAGET, Dragoon Fighter, and 104 seem to be supported by some and not by others. They're close, but since they haven't received full support yet, I don't think we should just throw them in. But we could potentially put further discussion into these "fence" candidates to make our final decision as a group. The others really haven't gathered enough support to deserve inclusion. These are my impressions from reading the comments so far.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Note: Crazy Cloud shouldn't be ignored.

Impression: Gmjack and Spooky have opposing styles.

Question: Have either Gmjack or Spooky been impressive enough to discredit DragoonFighter's recent streak in improvement? Or Saget? Are there any reasons why we can't accept them as a group?

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Note: Crazy Cloud shouldn't be ignored.
Haven't seen a whole lot of activity. How many times has he posted?

Question: Have either Gmjack or Spooky been impressive enough to discredit DragoonFighter's recent streak in improvement? Or Saget? Are there any reasons why we can't accept them as a group?
I've been putting some thought into this as well. gm jack and spooky are both certainly ready; there's no denying that. Dragoon fighter still needs a little bit more work on constructing his arguments, although his logic and grammar have improved immensely. Saget has had a great resurgence and may be ready, but before I give him the green light I'd really like to see him actually get in a real debate with someone. I think it would be good if he did a stint in the center stage, and that would be good for Dragoon as well. I'm almost ready to approve them, but I just feel like I need one last spark to convince me that they've reached a proper level of skill for the DH.

Right now, each one of them has a different issue to resolve:

Saget: Makes solid points, but has yet to really debate at length with anyone.
Dragoon: Active and gets in debates a lot, but logic and argument construction aren't always up to par.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
+1 to "a center stage run for Dragoon and Bob Saget could sway me the other way".

KG's analyses of their areas to improve are identical to mine.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Yeah, I read over it and it wan't too good. But that was 2 weeks ago and I think Dragoon has improved since then. While I was impressed by his brave decision to let you choose the topic and his position, I'd like to see how he fares when he's debating a topic he's comfortable about.

EDIT: I'm taking up Dragoon Fighter in a center stage debate. I'll form my opinions afterwards.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
spook and gm_jack are in. dragoon's doing his center stage debate w/KG so we'll see how that goes.

next to consider:

BOB SAGET! - Top of the list, I think he's ready. +1

professor mgw - known him for awhile, though he's newer to the PG than BOB SAGET!, his posting ability isn't too bad, and he's fairly active. +1

1048576 - I sense some split decisions on him, though I personally find him to be somewhat arrogant he does make good points from time to time, and his ability to convey a point isn't necessarily bad. +1

TheOriginalSmasher - It takes a lot to admit defeat, and not argue incessantly. Though he may not always be "right" he at least makes a good effort, and definitely has the ability I feel is required to contribute. +1

HaiWayne - Good poster, but needs to be more active. +0
abhishekh - Likewise a good poster, but I would like to see a CS debate or at least some more topics created +0

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
TOS needs to spend more time in the PGs. It isn't merely his stances that leave me found wanting.

Numbers still needs to stop strawmanning and henpecking in every other post before I'll approve.

Keeping my eye on the others.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Just read me some Bob Saget. I quite like his latest post in his one on one with Dre.

A newly enthused +1 from me.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'm gonna say yes the Saget, despite some bad memories. He's proven he's moved past that. After I work with Dragoon a bit I'll return my final verdict.

And I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna endorse TOS anytime soon. I hate to say it, but he's not even close for me right now.

Sieguest

Smash Master
Got my three cent paycheck and have come to drop them into this.

Unknown Telephone Number- I'm going to have to rescind my earlier support of him. As I continued keeping up with PG threads since my last post in here I just noticed that his posts have become less intelligent and instead of actually addressing a point he strawmans the post addressing him. And he still jumps to unfounded conclusions when reading an opponent's post, sometimes making me wonder if he has read the post at all.

BOB SAGET! has reached a point where I think he's ready. His 1v1 with Dre shows to be a testament to that.

I haven't really formed an opinion on anyone else yet. So I'll lurk more in between my textbooks.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Finally, someone else agrees with me on the numbers guy.

And dabuz needs more time, to be completely honest. And needs to stop using colors in his posts. Seriously, can't read that **** for my life.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Finally, someone else agrees with me on the numbers guy. And dabuz needs more time, to be completely honest. And needs to stop using colors in his posts. Seriously, can't read that **** for my life.
Rapture why do you think dabuz needs more time? He's completely dominating Dark Horse in the 1 vs 1 and Dark Horse is already a Debate Hall member. We should just accept him already. He'll improve upon his debating skills while in the Debate Hall. ♥

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
He's actually not, his main point is "It can only influence you if the graphics are super-realistic"

And there's also sepiroths masuname in the PG. Where do these people come from?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I think Dragoon should be let in, if he hasn't already.

Dabuz looks pretty sharp too, so if he's not in yet he should be, unless he's rude or something like that.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
And there's also sepiroths masuname in the PG. Where do these people come from?
Just a speculation, but sans-membership you couldn't see the PG sub-section to this forum board. Recently this has been modified for all users and unregistered guests to be able to view what is occurring. Due to the fact that the PG is more active and has more topics circulating than the DH, it is possible that this increases the incentives to apply for PG membership and eventually to gain DH membership. Also, it doesn't hurt to know who you're going to be debating, what is going to be discussed, and how you're going to make out.

Dark Horse said:
He's actually not, his main point is "It can only influence you if the graphics are super-realistic"
His main point? Or your main point?

Dark Horse said:
However, with new, realistic technology, it's becoming more like watching someone kill somebody else. I would actually consider today's games very realistic.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I think Dragoon should be let in, if he hasn't already.
I'm currently in a center stage debate with him to see if he's ready. We got through about 3 posts and then he said he needed 2-3 days to collect research. :/

So we'll see what he's come up with when he gets back.

Dabuz seems to be doing fairly well; I'd like to wait just a few more days to see how the Dark Horse debate goes along, but he's certainly on the right track.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
His main point? Or your main point?
if the player kills an enemy, its just polygons, the player is not killing another person, so the mental factor and mental will is not needed
His. I was countering this statement.

Edit: Actually, the points are "(dabuz) The games today aren't realistic enough to influence people" and "(me) Yes they are"

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I still think Dabuz needs more time, especially from the cartoon debate we've been having. He just doesn't seem polished enough. Not that he's bad, but just isn't ready, but I can see his inclusion likely in the future.

And I agree on the inclusion of Dragoon, btw.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
His. I was countering this statement.
You misinterpreted the statement. The focus on the paragraph wasn't polygons. I've presented a more comprehensive form of the paragraph and underlined the main points that he was initially driving across.

dabuz said:
... in a game, there are no consequences, if the player kills an enemy, its just polygons, the player is not killing another person, so the mental factor and mental will is not needed.
This was your response.

DarkHorse said:
However, with new, realistic technology, it's becoming more like watching someone kill somebody else.
I'm not going to push this any further.

To be truthful, I still think dabuz needs more time in the Proving Ground. I also would like to have a 1 vs 1 with him after (a) DH is done & (b) I finish my 1 vs 1 with The Original Smasher.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Dragoon's most recent center stage post was pretty logical, well thought out, detailed, and used sources effectively. I think he's ready to be admitted into the DH. And Saget should be as well, if that hasn't already been done.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I was expressing my desire for his inclusion and stuff. Since I'd previously been voting "more time". JEEZ

Also, I think I'm going to be letting in Dragoon and Bob Saget tonight unless I hear some stiff opposition to the idea and stuff. Hopefully they've got pending join requests.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
I was expressing my desire for his inclusion and stuff. Since I'd previously been voting "more time". JEEZ

Also, I think I'm going to be letting in Dragoon and Bob Saget tonight unless I hear some stiff opposition to the idea and stuff. Hopefully they've got pending join requests.
I think that's pretty fair. They're both pretty good. Dragoon has improved significantly.

Edit: Has GM Jack been let in yet?

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Looking forward to continuing a 1 vs 1 with The Original Smasher. I'm happy with Saget using references in the "Is Murder Ever Justified" (not sure if I got the title right) even though that thread is pretty dated by now. I hope that he continues that trend in the DH. As far as Dragoon goes, I appreciated his attempt at Chemistry in the "Exist" thread even though I had a mean-streak after his profuse insistence of the octet rule and General Chemistry principles to generalize the field as a whole and the insular conflict this has with arguing Physics may have been different (Physics is the basis of Chemistry).

I'm not really sure how good someone has to be in order to be accepted into the DH. But I feel that several assumptions have been fallacious and should be reconsidered before judgment is decided. Namely the following: [1] Developing users will improve when they get accepted into the DH [2] Accepted users will increase activity in the DH.

Dragoon and Saget have waited a long time and have shown competent DH levels in certain threads. I want to believe that they will continue improving once they enter the DH AND actively contribute to the same ends as they have been as PG members.

... If I had to place faith though, it would be a vote for both Dragoon and Saget. Even if they return to the dark recesses of obscurity after obtaining their pink names... they earned it.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
The Sag's got a join request pending, he has all day I think. I'd let him in myself, but it seems like you really want to be the one to do it, so I'll let you do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom