• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Ice Climber Communitiy

What is Nana and Popo’s relationship?

• Close friends

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • Siblings

Votes: 66 45.5%
  • Lovers

Votes: 43 29.7%

• Total voters

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
The one im talking about is at 15 seconds. Nana is just standing there. They start the match off with a grab.View attachment 148053
Just checked that, the opponent is released before Popo can throw; it appears that the auto taunt only happens during throws, not for when the opponent is just grabbed and is being pummeled.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman

I'm curious about this. Does this happen with normal grabs too?
If Nana can't interrupt a grab on Popo, ICs will be very easily seperated (one grab is enough - doesn't that sound familiar lol) and that can and will be enough to get rid of nana and gimp her.

If Ice Climbers can be that easily separated that would certainly hurt the character more than getting rid of chaingrabs, because you're essentially playing SoPo for the most time I guess.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

If Nana can't interrupt a grab on Popo, ICs will be very easily seperated (one grab is enough - doesn't that sound familiar lol) and that can and will be enough to get rid of nana and gimp her.

If Ice Climbers can be that easily separated that would certainly hurt the character more than getting rid of chaingrabs, because you're essentially playing SoPo for the most time I guess.
I think it is that easy, I'm curious to see how different they'll be.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

I think part of that depends on how much you can control Nana after she stops panicking but while Popo is in hitstun after the throw. If you regain control of her while Popo is flying through the air, you could at least have her try to defend herself while they’re separated. So, does anyone have any information on that? Even if you can, though, there’s only so much you could do with her there, so that is a pretty big disadvantage for the ICs player.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTupPAY_s18&list=PLcMdMmtHkPpQox9E15lFjjOqhFLLG2yvI&index=25&t=0s another vid to study, with slightly better gameplay then the random players :D

0:55 when doing a backthrow, nana isn't doing the taunt when normally throwing an opponent?
1:28 he desynchs out of a backwords roll and a ?smash-attack cancelled? dashdance
1:35 another desynch
2:03 Nana broke popo out of a grab! Very important detail
2:08 again Nana doesn't do the taunt while backthrowing!

bair and uair seem really strong. VERY NICE VIDEO THANK YOU

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Def saw a couple of desyncs. Down b slingshot still seems to work. Good news imo.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Old Brawl main represent. Good to see these two back in, though I certainly hope they've got enough buffs to make up for the loss of wobbling.

EDIT: There was actually a nice, clear demonstration of the ICs' moves on the Nintendo stream today: https://youtu.be/8O-ZUXGcuWU?t=8086

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Belay looks like it goes completely vertically now, but much higher to compensate. Is there any footage of double and single hammer squal mash? Good to know how high they can get with it now.

PF9

Smash Lord
Winter is coming? More like Winter is Here.

That would have been a nice tagline to mark the ICs return (GoT reference).

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Just dropping in to extend good wishes to the Ice Climbers community on the return of the ICs! As a wolf solo main in Brawl, I've felt your pain.

I look forward to picking up the Climbers on occasion and seeing people put in work with them. Just no chain grabs and it'll all be ok...

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Great to see them back. Certainly one of the several characters I'll be playing in this game. They look really fun in this game.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Wow good to see you! :D Glad you're still active!
Yooooo samesies and glad to see a familiar face. I am getting so hype for the new game and am itching to lab like the old days

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Yo what's up, been a while since I even logged onto smashboards lol

I noticed from scouring YT today that ICs tagline on boxing ring is "bone-chilling duo", and also that bthrow does not kill in sudden death. Super important info

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hello friends. It's been awhile.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Getting more synced up than the fusion glitch

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
And my Smash Ultimate adventure is over. Felt good playing with ICs again. I played them a lot along with Inkling. I'll post my thoughts and how ICs were later but I think you guys know some things right now. We need to consider some things now.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
This rumor doesn't phase me. Any fool could predict Ice Climbers returning, but the moment Ridley is mentioned lowers the rumor's credibility drastically. Sakurai is involved in the game so automatically Ridley is out of the question unless he's put into a dedicated giant character mode. As for Simon Belmont, maybe. But Snake needs to return before we talk about other characters owned by "that company."
I don't agree. He's stood firm on Ridley for awhile, but he's changed his mind in the past on characters. I'll never rule Ridley out entirely.

Belmont is what gets me about this rumor. I know he's gonna be seen as the "icon" everyone totally always knew was coming if he ends up making it, but right now I'm pretty unsure about him. You mentioned Snake, but theres also Bomberman standing in his way, as far Konami characters go.
Bomberman would be a far better fit for Smash than Snake ever was. Ridley definitely still invalidates any rumour he's in, though. He's not like other Nintendo giants, he's too gangly. He'd be ridiculously fragile if scaled down.
Good to see these Ridley arguments will finally see an end, after all these years it's over

Any way, glad to have the Ice Climbers back, they look really cute and happy and they make me smile

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Actually don't think I've posted in here since the Direct.

IMG_1996.jpg

I'm so happy these guys are back!!! Welcome home again, ICies!!!

lightdasher

Smash Lord
0:55 when doing a backthrow, nana isn't doing the taunt when normally throwing an opponent?
1:28 he desynchs out of a backwords roll and a ?smash-attack cancelled? dashdance
1:35 another desynch
2:03 Nana broke popo out of a grab! Very important detail
2:08 again Nana doesn't do the taunt while backthrowing!

bair and uair seem really strong. VERY NICE VIDEO THANK YOU
2:03 Sheik does the throw anyway, she does not break Popo out of the grab

LunethF

Smash Cadet
NNID
Luneth
3DS FC
5327-1175-2830
He still looks super fragile and out of place with the game's style but I guess I was wrong about Sakurai caring about such.
You've got pink blobs, anime swordsmen, humanoid birds, foxes and wolves, a robot and a 2D flat man.
Ridley "fits in" just about as well as Pac-Man does. If he didn't look like this then it'd be taking away from his character design tbh.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
You've got pink blobs, anime swordsmen, humanoid birds, foxes and wolves, a robot and a 2D flat man.
Ridley "fits in" just about as well as Pac-Man does. If he didn't look like this then it'd be taking away from his character design tbh.
Pacman's visual style is more or less the same as Kirby and Ness'. Melee Ridley (from the opening cutscene) looked great. This Ridley looks far more grimey/nitty gritty than any other character we've seen. The fact that they managed to make him look at home in Melee proves that this style isn't necessary, no matter what you say.

But, while we're on the subject of accusing characters' designs of not representing the character properly and bringing up Pacman, I still object to the fact that they gave him limbs since they're not in his one iconic game and completely change the way he looks. He fits in with Smash but not so much so with his actual character.

Above all, though, pink blobs, anime swordsmen, humanoid birds, foxes and wolves, robots and that 2D guy all still look like they could be figurines. Which is canonically what they are in Smash. Ridley looks like he'd fall apart the moment a kid picked him up.

Top Bottom