• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Cloud really wasn't that angsty in the original FF7. He was kinda goofy and a bit of a showoff. It wasn't until the various spinoffs he really became a sad sack.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
He would stand out like a sore thumb, with all that angst. Especially if he was in front of someone like Sylvando lol.

Also Yatanagi Yatanagi would you recommend Zi-O?
Only after watching all Heisei Rider, he spoils every ending. Also it starts pretty confuse and slow, the show only really starts at episode 16.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Cloud really wasn't that angsty in the original FF7. He was kinda goofy and a bit of a showoff. It wasn't until the various spinoffs he really became a sad sack.
Right ?! The last thing he says before going against the final boss is frickin' : "Let's mosey".

Does that sounds like something an edge-lord would say ? I don't think so.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Only after watching all Heisei Rider, he spoils every ending. Also it starts pretty confuse and slow, the show only really starts at episode 16.
Ok. Well it looks like the shows that are catching my eye is Kamen Rider Black, Kamen Rider Kuuga, and Kamen Rider Build/Den-O

I want let's mosey Cloud back.

D

Deleted member

This talk about Cloud’s dialogue in the PS1 version of FFVII made me remember the hilariously bad spanish translation that the game got in America and Spain.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
FFVII's translation was kind of wonky, so I'm curious if the original line was quite so goofy. I hope so, but I'm not enough of a FF fan to know.

Either way, Cloud definitely shouldn't be the saddest sack in any shot that also contains Lightning.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ok. Well it looks like the shows that are catching my eye is Kamen Rider Black, Kamen Rider Kuuga, and Kamen Rider Build/Den-O

I want let's mosey Cloud back.
FFVII's translation was kind of wonky, so I'm curious if the original line was quite so goofy. I hope so, but I'm not enough of a FF fan to know.

Either way, Cloud definitely shouldn't be the saddest sack in any shot that also contains Lightning.
Unfortunately from what I've seen it doesn't seem to be anything funny. I've seen some people say it's something like 'iku yo'. Which is just like 'alright let's go'.
There might still be other dorky dialogue tho. But I think how some people might've pictured cloud could just be because of the translation :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

“Muy bien, allevoy!”- Cloud trying to say “¡Muy bien, ahí voy!” (“Alright, here I come!”) while being drunk.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Right ?! The last thing he says before going against the final boss is frickin' : "Let's mosey".

Does that sounds like something an edge-lord would say ? I don't think so.
Yeah, but is that actually the way the character IS, or is it just the way the NA translation made him?

Because SE PROBABLY don't give much of a **** about things the translators added themselves.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
“Muy bien, allevoy!”- Cloud trying to say “¡Muy bien, ahí voy!” (“Alright, here I come!”) while being drunk.
Most of how he is in ff7 seems more to be 'aloof' as if he doesn't know or care about having impact. I think it's mostly funny because of how the others are around him. If they had more humour from others around edgy cloud, it might come to the same thing.

In other words, maybe it's the whole party team (+translations) that makes cloud out to be funny ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Most of how he is in ff7 seems more to be 'aloof' as if he doesn't know or care about having impact. I think it's mostly funny because of how the others are around him. If they had more humour from others around edgy cloud, it might come to the same thing.

In other words, maybe it's the whole party team (+translations) that makes cloud out to be funny ;)
Yup, it is possible.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Speaking of translation. Do you guys prefer loot, roto or Erdrick
Ideally, I'd say Loto probably, if it didn't sound too much like lotto. ;p
At this point we've used erdrick so much it's kinda hard to go too far from it.
Isn't there also Arel from the manga?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Speaking of translation. Do you guys prefer loot, roto or Erdrick
I don’t like Loto tbh. Sounds like the lottery, and broken Japanese at the same time.

Roto seems more faithful AND the design on his shield actually looks like it reads “Roto”.
Although in Spanish, roto means broken. But the term broken as in OP has also been adopted in Spanish by some people so it’d be kind of funny.

And Erdrick is alright. If it didn’t sound like a tongue twister. No non-DQ fan can spell or say his name correctly lol.

I think if the name were retconned to be Roto I could live with that. But in the meantime, Erdrick is just peachy.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don’t like Loto tbh. Sounds like the lottery, and broken Japanese at the same time.

Roto seems more faithful AND the design on his shield actually looks like it reads “Roto”.
Although in Spanish, roto means broken. But the term broken as in OP has also been adopted in Spanish by some people so it’d be kind of funny.

And Erdrick is alright. If it didn’t sound like a tongue twister. No non-DQ fan can spell or say his name correctly lol.

I think if the name were retconned to be Roto I could live with that. But in the meantime, Erdrick is just peachy.
Also, in pokemon there's a roto loto (rotom lotto).

I've rarely if ever seen someone use 'roto' on this forum anyway.
The only time I was thinking of using them is if I'm lazy about saying girl erdrick. Like someone mentioned 'roto' for male erdrick and 'loto' for female erdrick.
It wouldn't be like that in japanese tho, because there's no difference. (same sound, r and l aren't told arart..)

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I had a weird delirious daydream as I was struggling to completely wake up this morning, imagining that Cloud in Smash only ever said "Final Fantasy" like a Pokémon.

His forward Smash has him go "Fi-nal-fan!", his Finishing Touch has him go "Ta-sy!", etc. It's dumb but it amused me and that's what "Mr. Dragon Quest" reminded me of.
As a wise man once said:

"They even have my favourite character, Final Fantasy!"

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It's Roto. His shield literally has the Norse runes for R-O-T-O on it.

Erdrick is fine for NA though. It's not like Smash doesn't have a bunch of Japan/NA name differences already.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

Well let's just hope that means Erdrick if he gets in, is a top tier character :p

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's Roto. His shield literally has the Norse runes for R-O-T-O on it.

Erdrick is fine for NA though. It's not like Smash doesn't have a bunch of Japan/NA name differences already.
If we had to pick one on the runes then yes you're right. It just maybe doesnt matter because it's either letter in japanese and they made it.
The gameboy versions had Loto, so it was called loto's cave, loto's armor, etc.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
His name was inspired by the biblical name Lot, right? They write the same in Japanese.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
They also made the artwork for the shield though, and chose the rune for R over the rune for L. So they clearly have a preference.
What I'm saying is that they probably didn't think about that. R and L are the same to them.
If we had to pick between gameboy or the shield tho, i might go with roto.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
@JDCabrera

What I'm saying is that they probably didn't think about that. R and L are the same to them.
If we had to pick between gameboy or the shield tho, i might go with roto.
This is why I stick with Erdrick. So that I don't have to worry about Roto/Loto :p

EDIT:

Also if Erdrick gets in, this could be potentially added as one of the designs. Thoughts?

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Hi, some of you were discussion Final Fantasy 7's localization. It's a fascinating subject.

There's a video series by Tim Rogers detailing the differences between the Japanese and English language versions. He's lived in Japan for 10 years before moving back to America, so he knows a lot of the culture and especially the language, and thus is an extremely good and entertaining host.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsiJPoHlPqEEA07AKMQ2Hm2oRLiGkR_uJ

Last episode comes out this Friday, I think. I haven't had time to watch the latest one but I'm trying to make time for it.

D

Deleted member

@JDCabrera

This is why I stick with Erdrick. So that I don't have to worry about Roto/Loto :p

EDIT:

Also if Erdrick gets in, this could be potentially added as one of the designs. Thoughts?
Damn!
I really love those arts!

Thank you so much for sharing and sorry for answering late (I was buying some donuts and playing a bit of Megaman 2)!!

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Thank you so much for sharing and sorry for answering late (I was buying some donuts and playing a bit of Megaman 2)!!
Glad you enjoy it. Donuts take priorities ;)

Hi, some of you were discussion Final Fantasy 7's localization. It's a fascinating subject.
Honestly, localization aside, I'm really hoping the FF7 remake is actually worth the hype and we get some form of announcement during E3. Also can we get a Dragon Quest 3 remake :)

Teeb147 Teeb147 Found who the next character is.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It was from a show called 'Dragon Quest Live' that happened 3 years ago.

EDIT:

Fan art of the event

I saw a clip from the show (from the trailer) it looked awesome tbh. Zoma appeared somewhere and he looked like a high budget super sentai monster. Japanese culture is so awesome.

That poster is incredible too!

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I saw a clip from the show (from the trailer) it looked awesome tbh. Zoma appeared somewhere and he looked like a high budget super sentai monster. Japanese culture is so awesome.

That poster is incredible too!
Apparently, it's an adaptation of Dragon Quest 3, but Terry, Yangus, Tom Foolery and Alena are his party members. It sounds really fun!

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I wonder, how would an Erdrick trailer play out? What characters would appear? What would be the splash screen? Assuming Anlucia and the Luminary are playable, how would they appear?

Last edited:

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
I wonder, how would an Erdrick trailer play out? What characters would appear? What would be the splash screen? Assuming Anlucia and the Luminary are playable, how would they appear?
It starts off with an 8 bit battle mirroring DQ3. Except instead of pulling out a ball of light, Erdrick goes into his items menu and pulls out a smash ball instead. Bam, instant transmission into 3D Smash gameplay.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
It starts off with an 8 bit battle mirroring DQ3. Except instead of pulling out a ball of light, Erdrick goes into his items menu and pulls out a smash ball instead. Bam, instant transmission into 3D Smash gameplay.
Ah, the classic bait and switch. Make it appear that Virtual Console is finally coming to the Switch with a NES Dragon Quest game as one of the debut games*, then pull the Smash switcheroo. And make it appear that they are fighting the usual Dragon Quest enemies first before they fight some of the other fighters.

(* Or instead a Dragon Quest game for Switch Online)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Ah, the classic bait and switch. Make it appear that Virtual Console is finally coming to the Switch with a NES Dragon Quest game as one of the debut games*, then pull the Smash switcheroo. And make it appear that they are fighting the usual Dragon Quest enemies first before they fight some of the other fighters.

(* Or instead a Dragon Quest game for Switch Online)
Dragon Quest 10 remastered or perhaps....Dragon Quest 12 MMO?? (or maybe a new spin off altogether)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom