• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
man, going to twitter was not a good idea..... So many people thinking that Erdrick is 100% deconfirmed since that one leak was proven false
The smash community is seriously bi-polar. Look at character threads during info droughts. People will go from their guy being 100% confirmed to their guy being BTFO to their guy already is in in a week when there is no news whatsoever. Just don't pay attention to the nonsense.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Why?

2 months after release, Piranha Plant.
2 months after PP, Joker.
And they still have 10 months left to release the last 4 characters.
Sorry I meant faster than from announcement to release. It took a very long time for joker. Now they have to start announcing them 2 months in advance if they want to pump up hype in the same pattern. Not saying they couldnt announce one and release not long after, but I still feel it really possible to get one in may and then one at e3. (announcements i mean)

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Well, a part of me was hoping Erdrick would get a sneak peek reveal at the end, but it looks like the ride won’t end until E3. If we’re lucky, that is.

Seeing as how DLC characters are now getting their own Spirit boards, it makes me a little excited and hopeful that Enix will actually go in all board in DQ content compared to ol’ stingy Square. Though will they derive content primarily from DQIII (through the character classes and various bosses/enemies), or will it be from the series in general?

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Sorry I meant faster than from announcement to release. It took a very long time for joker. Now they have to start announcing them 2 months in advance if they want to pump up hype in the same pattern. Not saying they couldnt announce one and release not long after, but I still feel it really possible to get one in may and then one at e3. (announcements i mean)
I mean for all we know, they've been working on all of them since day one so it might come out sooner then expected.

I will say:

" Mewtwo (April 15th, 2015)Melee veteran Mewtwo was announced as the very first DLC character in the Super Smash Bros. series during the 50-Fact Extravaganza on October 23rd, 2014. Mewtwo's release date was revealed on April 1st, 2015 during a Nintendo Direct. On April 15th, 2015, Mewtwo became available as a free download to players who registered both versions of SSB4 on Club Nintendo before March 31st, 2015. As of April 28th, 2015, Mewtwo is available for anyone to purchase. Lucas (June 14th, 2015)Brawl veteran Lucas was first confirmed to reappear in Super Smash Bros. 4 as a downloadable character alongside the reveal of Mewtwo's release date, during a Nintendo Direct held on April 1st, 2015. He was released on June 14th, 2015. The Smash Ballot, which gave people an opportunity to vote for a new character, was also announced. Roy (June 14th, 2015)Melee veteran Roy was leaked as DLC in data-mining of the 1.0.6 and 1.0.8 updates. He was officially revealed by Masahiro Sakurai during a Nintendo Direct on June 14th, 2015, and released shortly after on the same day. Ryu (June 14th, 2015)Newcomer Ryu from Capcom's Street Fighter series was leaked alongside Roy. Similarly, he was officially revealed by Masahiro Sakurai during a Nintendo Direct on June 14th, 2015 and released shortly after on the same day. Ryu comes as a set with the stage Suzaku Castle. Cloud (December 15th, 2015)Newcomer Cloud Strife from Square Enix's Final Fantasy VII was announced during a Nintendo Direct on November 12th, 2015 and released on December 15th, 2015. Cloud comes as a set with the stage Midgar. Corrin (February 3rd, 2016)Newcomer Corrin from Fire Emblem Fates was announced during a Nintendo Direct on December 15th, 2015 and released on February 3rd, 2016. Corrin does not have an exclusive stage, but comes as a set with a music track in both versions; Corrin also comes with exclusive trophies in the 3DS version and two additional music tracks in the Wii U version. Bayonetta (February 3rd, 2016)Newcomer Bayonetta from SEGA and PlatinumGames' Bayonetta series was announced during a Nintendo Direct on December 15th, 2015 as the Smash Ballot winner, and released on February 3rd, 2016. Bayonetta comes as a set with the stage Umbra Clock Tower. "

Hypothetical dates

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Could also Jack Frost was planned but cut in early on development. Maybe he was just a brainstorm to what Mementos would be.

Or this or Joker codename got in the middle of the info and end up as a mistake.

Also his absence implies that indeed Joker's codename was based on the playing card Jack. Leaving more sense to Brave be indeed a play on Yuusha.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Could also Jack Frost was planned but cut in early on development. Maybe he was just a brainstorm to what Mementos would be.

Or this or Joker codename got in the middle of the info and end up as a mistake.

Also his absence implies that indeed Joker's codename was based on the playing card Jack. Leaving more sense to Brave be indeed a play on Yuusha.
Exactly. I thought the whole point of leaks are that they're just noise floating around.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Friends, a guy I know told me yesterday that Erdrick would be announced alongside Joker, with music based on Dragon Quest 8, the only game he knows and according to him the only one anyone can ever care about.

But *tsk* looks like he wasn't announced today even though Joker was! Guess this means Erdrick isn't coming to Smash forever and ever. Pack it up everyone, we lost.

/s

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Everything'll be ok ;)

Is the lady in the yellow dress supposed to be Rubiss or something? I don't remember if we ever meet her in person in any Dragon Quest game, let alone DQ2 (the protag and the cousins are the ones being hugged), maybe it was at a spring accessed via ship, I vaguely recall something like that.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Is the lady in the yellow dress supposed to be Rubiss or something? I don't remember if we ever meet her in person in any Dragon Quest game, let alone DQ2 (the protag and the cousins are the ones being hugged), maybe it was at a spring accessed via ship, I vaguely recall something like that.
That's Princess Gwaelin, the ancestor of the DQII protagonists and the DQI Hero's sweetheart.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
That's Princess Gwaelin, the ancestor of the DQII protagonists and the DQI Hero's sweetheart.
Ahh, thank you! I haven't seen official Gwaelin art but yeah it makes sense considering she's the ancestor of the Prince of Midenhall (the DQ2 protag that can't use magic).

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Everything'll be ok ;)

That’s a lovely piece of fan art.

I love DQ2. And Princess Gwaelyn.
DQ2 gets a lot of undeserved hate imo.
I like the fact that “Erdrick” in this case is divided by 3. The warrior descendant the healer descendant, and the wizard descendant.

The music is also among the best.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
That’s a lovely piece of fan art.

I love DQ2. And Princess Gwaelyn.
DQ2 gets a lot of undeserved hate imo.
I like the fact that “Erdrick” in this case is divided by 3. The warrior descendant the healer descendant, and the wizard descendant.

The music is also among the best.
I still hum the town theme to myself:

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
I'm so happy we're finally getting some more Smash news again, and the New content that were shown in the video are
actually really cool (Plus Joker looks sooo good). I honestly do think we might see Erdrick soon, probably more likely
at E3. However I don't get my hopes too up, basically I made that same mistake with Isaac (Which I don't wanna go
through again).

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Who knows, maybe Japanese Smash users could make Dragon Quest themed stages that we could download. The thought of it made me happy.

D

Deleted member

Who knows, maybe Japanese Smash users could make Dragon Quest themed stages that we could download. The thought of it made me happy.
Yeah, It’s nice to at least have that option at the moment while we wait to see what happens with Brave.

While some people tend to joke about custom stages ending up being bad most of the time, I have to say that I’ve found some cool ones during the Smash 4 days.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Yeah, It’s nice to at least have that option at the moment while we wait to see what happens with Brave.

While some people tend to joke about custom stages ending up being bad most of the time, I have to say that I’ve found some cool ones during the Smash 4 days.
Well, the stage builder in Smash Ultimate looks miles and leagues ahead of Brawl and Smash 4's combined.

If I had any creative skill I'd do things like recreate the final room from Super Mario Bros. 3, or the inside of a Zelda II palace (Temple in Smash is a very general stage). But I really like this Mario Maker thing they have going on here, where we can actually share stages with each other and save them to our system through that Smash World app thingy. It's really going to add to the longevity of Smash Ultimate.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Ahh, thank you! I haven't seen official Gwaelin art but yeah it makes sense considering she's the ancestor of the Prince of Midenhall (the DQ2 protag that can't use magic).
She's a cutie pie. Badly underrated classic princess.

It's cute that the modern DQ localizations went back to the NES-era names for a lot of characters and places, but if there's one I wish they'd ditched it's Midenhall. In Japanese it's Laurasia, as in Princess Laura (as in Princess Gwaelin), but the English name has nothing to do with anything.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Can someone clarify a thing to me?
I play Smash a lot, but I'm a negation when it come to the maneuver names. I'm mean I don't know the name of most of they, although I probably use most.
So to the Brave stats, I never fully understand what the Slide thing mean, on Smash wiki there's two maneuver with slide on name, but both aren't from Ultimate.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Glad to see people in good enough spirits :)

Can someone clarify a thing to me?
I play Smash a lot, but I'm a negation when it come to the maneuver names. I'm mean I don't know the name of most of they, although I probably use most.
So to the Brave stats, I never fully understand what the Slide thing mean, on Smash wiki there's two maneuver with slide on name, but both aren't from Ultimate.
For the stats, they're just base stats so it's not a slide 'move', it's that the character has a bit lower traction, so when you turn around while you dash you slide a little bit as you turn around. Most of the stats have to do with movement, like how fast you move or jump or how fast you fall, etc.
We dont know anything about the moves they can use from just the data.

I still expect a character reveal before e3, but if for some reason they wait that long, i mean it is what it is. I think may would be a good time for one, even if they could wait all the way to june.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see people in good enough spirits :)

For the stats, they're just base stats so it's not a slide 'move', it's that the character has a bit lower traction, so when you turn around while you dash you slide a little bit as you turn around. Most of the stats have to do with movement, like how fast you move or jump or how fast you fall, etc.
We dont know anything about the moves they can use from just the data.

I still expect a character reveal before e3, but if for some reason they wait that long, i mean it is what it is. I think may would be a good time for one, even if they could wait all the way to june.
Thanks, I thought that it could be the case, but it's better to be 100% sure.
I expect a reveal soon too, with it's release on E3 followed by the reveal of the third character.

Also anyone have a video of that Ike with Brave Stats? The original tweet was deleted.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Thanks, I thought that it could be the case, but it's better to be 100% sure.
I expect a reveal soon too, with it's release on E3 followed by the reveal of the third character.

Also anyone have a video of that Ike with Brave Stats? The original tweet was deleted.
It might be on youtube, but mizumi deleted his twitter account so all of his posts are gone.
The slide wasn't that big really, it wasnt all that noticeable. Some people exaggerated what it would end up like. What im curious about right now is joker's height in the game, so we can see how the stats changed.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
It might be on youtube, but mizumi deleted his twitter account so all of his posts are gone.
The slide wasn't that big really, it wasnt all that noticeable. Some people exaggerated what it would end up like. What im curious about right now is joker's height in the game, so we can see how the stats changed.
What happened to him?
I thought that people could be exaggerating.
Do you think that Brave is back to the game data?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What happened to him?
I thought that people could be exaggerating.
Do you think that Brave is back to the game data?
I think there was a controversy around him, but i dont know exactly what. and then he deleted his account.

I really doubt brave will be back in the data, since they removed it in the last patch. But i'm still really curious what will be datamined.
Looks like 3.0 is going to be out in like 8 hours. Later than i thought, but at least it's today :p

D

Deleted member

I think there was a controversy around him, but i dont know exactly what. and then he deleted his account.

I really doubt brave will be back in the data, since they removed it in the last patch. But i'm still really curious what will be datamined.
Looks like 3.0 is going to be out in like 8 hours. Later than i thought, but at least it's today :p
I will have to wait a bit longer to play as myself doh.

Hopefully I manage to do so around this weekend if I get my 25€ eshop gift card for Cuphead.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I will have to wait a bit longer to play as myself doh.

Hopefully I manage to do so around this weekend if I get my 25€ eshop gift card for Cuphead.
That sucks, I hope you manage a gift card as soon as you can if you dont have a credit card.
Well you can watch gameplay too.

D

Deleted member

That sucks, I hope you manage a gift card as soon as you can if you dont have a credit card.
Well you can watch gameplay too.
That too, indeed.
Hopefully I become a good character to play as by many.

But so far, this would be my list of mains:
F72234BA-E227-4BE3-8EF7-1C90019ABF99.jpeg

Hopefully in the future I’ll be able to add two certain characters.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That too, indeed.
Hopefully I become a good character to play as by many.

But so far, this would be my list of mains:
View attachment 209520

Hopefully in the future I’ll be able to add two certain characters.
Cool. I'm glad im not the only one with a lot ;)
here's mine. I use more, including zero suit, but these are still the ones i'd use more for now:

Screenshot 2019-04-17 14.06.40.jpg

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
She's a cutie pie. Badly underrated classic princess.

It's cute that the modern DQ localizations went back to the NES-era names for a lot of characters and places, but if there's one I wish they'd ditched it's Midenhall. In Japanese it's Laurasia, as in Princess Laura (as in Princess Gwaelin), but the English name has nothing to do with anything.
The image is broken for me (it's a 403 forbidden thing).

Also now that you pointed it out, I do wish they changed it back to Laurasia due to the Arthurian connection.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Mine as it is now.
Hard to choose who drop from this Top 8 when the Hero joint in.
Screenshot_20190417-144730.png

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Man, I'm irritated with people on twitter. Like you tell them they are being rude for dropping Erdrick under the bus without any mention of the fans that support him, only to be given the "my opinion" card.

D

Deleted member

Man, I'm irritated with people on twitter. Like you tell them they are being rude for dropping Erdrick under the bus without any mention of the fans that support him, only to be given the "my opinion" card.
As someone who liked stuff like Captain Marvel, Yooka Laylee or Godzilla vs Megalon... Yeah I can relate.

Too many people on social media just doesn’t let a number of people enjoy what they want with respect.

I’ve been kicked or mocked many times on general talks around the internet just for being the person who finds Yooka Laylee good, and it gets annoying to always get smashed after people use the “my opinion” card to save their butts.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
As someone who liked stuff like Captain Marvel, Yooka Laylee or Godzilla vs Megalon... Yeah I can relate.

Too many people on social media just doesn’t let a number of people enjoy what they want with respect.

I’ve been kicked or mocked many times on general talks around the internet just for being the person who finds Yooka Laylee good, and it gets annoying to always get smashed after people use the “my opinion” card to save their butts.
That's why I tend to prefer not being involved, but this, in particular, has been driving me up to the wall with the amount of dislike for Erdrick. It's honestly just fueling my need for Erdrick to get in even more haha. Love what you want dude, and don't let people take that away from you.

D

Deleted member

That's why I tend to prefer not being involved, but this, in particular, has been driving me up to the wall with the amount of dislike for Erdrick. It's honestly just fueling my need for Erdrick to get in even more haha. Love what you want dude, and don't let people take that away from you.
That’s my objective.

The problem is that people still believe that AnImE sWoRdMeN is a valid argument to hate on a character (spoilers: it really isn’t).

I already lived that drama when Cloud got in, and I won’t let it ruin DQ’s possibility of getting in Smash for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
That’s my objective.

The problem is that people still believe that AnImE sWoRdMeN is a valid argument to hate on a character (spoilers: it really isn’t).

I already lived that drama when Cloud got in, and I won’t let it ruin DQ’s possibility of getting in Smash for me.
"Anime swordsmen" have never really been the problem. The same people who complain about them always have one exception. People just hate it when the most discussed character is someone they don't know or care about, and they convince themselves that they're a bad character to justify their annoyance.

I wanna say it'll be satisfying to see the "Erdrick is dead" people be proven wrong, but it's really just gonna result in them complaining, and that's not gonna be fun at all.

People will get over it, though. At the very least, I wanna believe most people are just apathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom