• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Stuff changes mid-development, so I am not too surprised about the parameters being different. A Slime hat would most definitely come with Erdrick.

Reading some of the movesets conceived here, if Erdrick's Final Smash ended up being something out of Dragon Ball visual-wise (the Luminary's Gigaburst comes to mind), then that would definitely make a big first impression on people not familiar with Dragon Quest, as well as give some people more reasons to start calling him/her "Sword Goku". :p

Anyway, not sure if there is any overlap with Dragon Quest and the Dragonball fanbases here (and I am very sure someone has asked this question before), but were some of you first exposed to Dragon Quest just because of Akira Toriyama's involvement?

For me, it wasn't the case. I was first exposed to Dragon Quest when I bought and played DQVIII 3DS after an employee at GameStop gushed about it when I inquired about other 3DS RPG games, having recently beat "Fire Emblem: Awakening". TBH, I really don't care much about Dragonball, despite how popular it is.
My story is odd. Remember that Kotaku video that talked about how awesome Dragon Quest 11 was for over half an hour? Well, years ago, the man narrating the video, Tim Rogers, was known in underground circles on the internet as a guy with well-thought-out and interesting opinions that deviated from the norm. As such, you got takes from him like "Landstalker on the Sega Genesis is better than any Zelda game in the series", "Super Mario Galaxy is not that good", etc.

Some of these opinions are pretty easy to disagree with (especially his Super Mario Galaxy opinion), and I certainly didn't agree with his view that Smash is a horrible video game series, but the way I saw it, it was more productive to read why someone thought something--even something you disagree with--than to just read reviews by people that are agreeable and validate your preexisting opinion already.

One day, I hit gold with Tim: he wrote a passionate review on why Dragon Quest is a fantastic series and how Dragon Quest 5 in particular is one of the greatest video games of all time. I had already tried some of the games he'd recommended or written positively about and ended up enjoying them, but more than that, I had always heard that Dragon Quest was a boring, lame RPG series, and that Final Fantasy is so good that no one needed to check out DQ anyways. Tim Rogers' DQ5 review was the first thing to truly challenge my preconception, and it piqued my interest. I took the plunge and bought the DS version.

I found it charming right away, but also I stopped playing an hour or so in. It wasn't grabbing me yet, and I started to think "maybe the fact that I inexplicably didn't want to play after 2 hours means the game is bad". Obviously it wasn't, but it took me about a year before I returned to my save file and give it an honest second try.

It finally had its hooks in me when Prince Harry was kidnapped. Turns out, I just needed to be patient, and that it's okay for games like Dragon Quest to have slow-burn beginnings. It just means the hard-hitting moments hit all the harder. And boy, did Dragon Quest 5 have a LOT of those. I fell in love with Dragon Quest 5, and checked out the series starting with the first one soon after.

So yeah, bizarrely it had nothing to do with the characters looking like DBZ characters. I never even watched Dragon Ball Z, I somehow magically avoided doing so and by the time I felt like giving it a shot, I learned about the horrifyingly high amount of episodes I would need to watch and decided to pass. Some people recommend Kai, but other people don't because some of the filler that's cut out in Kai is entertaining. So I've avoided the series for the most part.

D

Deleted member

Stuff changes mid-development, so I am not too surprised about the parameters being different. A Slime hat would most definitely come with Erdrick.

Reading some of the movesets conceived here, if Erdrick's Final Smash ended up being something out of Dragon Ball visual-wise (the Luminary's Gigaburst comes to mind), then that would definitely make a big first impression on people not familiar with Dragon Quest, as well as give some people more reasons to start calling him/her "Sword Goku". :p

Anyway, not sure if there is any overlap with Dragon Quest and the Dragonball fanbases here (and I am very sure someone has asked this question before), but were some of you first exposed to Dragon Quest just because of Akira Toriyama's involvement?

For me, it wasn't the case. I was first exposed to Dragon Quest when I bought and played DQVIII 3DS after an employee at GameStop gushed about it when I inquired about other 3DS RPG games, having recently beat "Fire Emblem: Awakening". TBH, I really don't care much about Dragonball, despite how popular it is.
I played the first game if my memory recalls correctly when I was 4-5 years old, a few years before Dragon Ball started airing. I really didn't like it at the time since I didn't knew what to do to get out of the first screen in the game (it didn't help that English is not my first language), then I watched and loved Dai no Daibouken when it aired but couldn't put any relation to DB until years later. Then when I got into a craze for JRPGs due to Chrono Trigger I got involved in the franchise again with the PS1 version of VII (which I liked but didn't finish due to not finding tablets to continue, bless the 3DS version), and then continued with the franchise and played VIII since I was a fan by then. I love both franchises, and Toriyama's involvement makes it great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I've been a little busy to follow along 100%, so tell me: was all that fuss really just about the Jack Frost thing, or is there some other detail I missed?

Seeing as how DLC characters are now getting their own Spirit boards, it makes me a little excited and hopeful that Enix will actually go in all board in DQ content compared to ol’ stingy Square. Though will they derive content primarily from DQIII (through the character classes and various bosses/enemies), or will it be from the series in general?
Assuming all the DLC packs get about the same number of spirits... uhh, I dunno. I just can't nail down a set of 11 that'd make much sense.

I'm really not too hot on the idea of DQIII's vocations each getting their own spirit. Their designs are iconic, but it'd just feel like a waste to spend seven spots on that, and probably end up with some pretty dull spirit battles, instead of using actual named characters or recurring monsters. A Patty spirit could cover them all well enough.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I've been a little busy to follow along 100%, so tell me: was all that fuss really just about the Jack Frost thing, or is there some other detail I missed?

Assuming all the DLC packs get about the same number of spirits... uhh, I dunno. I just can't nail down a set of 11 that'd make much sense.

I'm really not too hot on the idea of DQIII's vocations each getting their own spirit. Their designs are iconic, but it'd just feel like a waste to spend seven spots on that, and probably end up with some pretty dull spirit battles, instead of using actual named characters or recurring monsters. A Patty spirit could cover them all well enough.
As far as I recall I really think it's just the jack frost thing.

As for the other characters I agree, I think just having the classes would be wasted potential.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman

Hoping that with Toriyama letting they use his artworks, they got carried away and put a lot of Spirits on the DQ Board.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

I was a huge fan of CT. And I loved CC but I started missing Toriyama’s touch eventually, and I wanted to relive that CT experience more faithfully, so when I bumped into the DQ8 gorgeous box art, it was an instant buy.

At first I regretted spending $60 on a... really traditional RPG (coming out of CT and CC with their really fun and innovative combat systems).

But one thing led to another, became a big DQ fan, beat DQ8, and it’s currently my favorite in the series.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I've heard talk of how important Dragon Quest was so I decided to look into it. The games that were recommended for people new to the series were 3, 5, and 8. I decided to play 3 around 2 years ago (gbc version) and it was great, and I was impressed with what they managed to do at the time.

Then, last year I heard rumors of SE getting a character in Ultimate. Thought it would be nice to have a DQ character. I only played DQ 3, so I searched up the Erdrick support thread (I didn't really want Slime) and found out he actually had support!

That's how I started. Since then, I've beaten DQ5 and started DQ8. Big DBZ fan but unrelated to DQ.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I was first introduced to Dragon Quest when I bought Dragon Warrior 1. When it first came out.

Because I'm ****ing oooooooold!

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I was introduced to Dragon Quest by my friend. His favorite game ever is DQ3 and he really wanted me to play it. So I played the GBC version and absolutely loved it.

JoeStronger

Smash Cadet

I don't think DBZ and Toriyama had much involvement in my interest, but funnily enough, when Dragon Quest 8 came out in America on PS2, they deliberately changed the MC's appearance in super high tension mode to give him spikey hair in order to attract appeal from fans of Toriyama, since they knew how much the west liked Dragon Ball.

The Japanese fanbase still has a laugh with this, since this change was western exclusive only.

Last edited:

PhaseDistorter

Smash Rookie
I watched DBZ in the early 2000's, but I mainly got into Dragon Quest because of my love for Chrono Trigger, which shares a lot of the same key staff members. (Yuji Hori and Akira Toriyama of course)

If Erdrick gets into Smash, it would be cool if Crono got a Mii swordsman costume; Though I wouldn't be surprised if they took the route they went with Joker and included Mii costumes for the other Dragon Quest protagonists. My money's on DQV and DQXI possibly? Can't forget the Slime hat too.

D

Deleted member

I watched DBZ in the early 2000's, but I mainly got into Dragon Quest because of my love for Chrono Trigger, which shares a lot of the same key staff members. (Yuji Hori and Akira Toriyama of course)

If Erdrick gets into Smash, it would be cool if Crono got a Mii swordsman costume; Though I wouldn't be surprised if they took the route they went with Joker and included Mii costumes for the other Dragon Quest protagonists. My money's on DQV and DQXI possibly? Can't forget the Slime hat too.
I would hope for Eight being one of Erdrick's alts instead of a costume, if I am honest.

I have a feeling that the Geno costume will return too.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was trying to remember if I played dragon quest monsters before or after DQ7, but I think it was after. But that's another game that really strengthened my liking the series. I think anyone who wondered how pokemon would be like if it played like a normal rpg (like a team fighting at the same time) will enjoy it. The only complaint i have about it is that you can't stick to weak monsters the whole game because of the level caps. But fusing is fun too.

Here's another dose of Dragon Quest fan art. Gonna keep the fire of hope alive!

Thanks for sharing that one. I havent seen it. and I like it :) Do you happen to have the source?
dont mind if I make it my avatar :)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I was trying to remember if I played dragon quest monsters before or after DQ7, but I think it was after. But that's another game that really strengthened my liking the series. I think anyone who wondered how pokemon would be like if it played like a normal rpg (like a team fighting at the same time) will enjoy it. The only complaint i have about it is that you can't stick to weak monsters the whole game because of the level caps. But fusing is fun too.

Thanks for sharing that one. I havent seen it. and I like it :) Do you happen to have the source?
dont mind if I make it my avatar :)
It's by Miku Maekawa on Twitter :)

Edit: I thought of an idea last night. After watching pokemon and seeing how much of a threat Red is in the later titles, what if after the player fights all of the main villains, the last bonus boss you fight is Erdrick.

He wears the best armour, best equipment, has every skill tree from all the past games and can summon party members on the spot. Then when they are all dead, he summons monsters via monster taming.

Also took inspiration from the infamous Demi-Fiend boss from SMT

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don’t feel good enough to be on the internet at the moment, so I think that I will go back to my abscense this weekend instead of Monday (of course to study).

I’ll hopefully pass by the next weekend if things go better, so if you want to share something to me feel free to quote me, since I will probably read it when I return.

Sorry, but I’m not on a good mood at the moment, some of the stuff that is kind of making me down involves the Brave dilemma and Erdrick’s chances (not one of the biggest problems doh).

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I don’t feel good enough to be on the internet at the moment, so I think that I will go back to my abscense this weekend instead of Monday (of course to study).

I’ll hopefully pass by the next weekend if things go better, so if you want to share something to me feel free to quote me, since I will probably read it when I return.

Sorry, but I’m not on a good mood at the moment, some of the stuff that is kind of making me down involves the Brave dilemma and Erdrick’s chances (not one of the biggest problems doh).
Take care dude.

Always live your heart with love and no malice. Let them believe what they want to believe.

D

Deleted member

I don't remember when, but it was when we still had our PS2. My brother brought home Dragon Quest 8 one day and he played it for a while. I just watched him but the game looked visually great at the time. It was like an actual adventure.

While the first RPGs I played were the Paper Mario series, Dragon Quest 8 was what introduced me to a lot of staple mechanics that were easy to understand and fun to play with. It's what I immediately recall when someone asks me what an RPG is.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ok so the artist is actually taniya raku. No other dragon quest works unfortunately.

It's really unfortunate isn't it? Just because erdrick has had stuff in favor for smash, some people take it as a threat and try to find ways to not just downplay it all but go further than that.
It's never even been a guaranteed thing, and yet people treat it like they have to think of ways it cant happen instead of just saying it's possible for brave to be another character.

Take it easy and know that things are ok :)
Sometimes it's worth learning to ignore what some people say. In the end it's going to be what it's going to be. And I hope smash gets some cool characters anyhow ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's really unfortunate isn't it? Just because erdrick has had stuff in favor for smash, some people take it as a threat and try to find ways to not just downplay it all but go further than that.
It's never even been a guaranteed thing, and yet people treat it like they have to think of ways it cant happen instead of just saying it's possible for brave to be another character.
As someone who wants Banjo over Steve, I understand attaching to a piece of evidence if it means Banjo has a chance. Unfortunately, everyone attaches themselves more to disconfirming characters instead. :facepalm:

Anyways, @JDCabrera take your break if you need it. Lord knows I needed one from some support threads here.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
That's weird, I though I posted in this thread before.
I might prefer Slime, but Erdrick would be a neat addition as well. Actually, anything from Dragon Quest would be a neat addition. Put me on the supporter list, Dragon Quest is an IP that completely deserves it's inclusion in Smash Bros.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Added.

Also, I found 2 other dragon quest 3 works from the same artist on another site. I think they'e new.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
It's by Miku Maekawa on Twitter :)

Edit: I thought of an idea last night. After watching pokemon and seeing how much of a threat Red is in the later titles, what if after the player fights all of the main villains, the last bonus boss you fight is Erdrick.

He wears the best armour, best equipment, has every skill tree from all the past games and can summon party members on the spot. Then when they are all dead, he summons monsters via monster taming.

Also took inspiration from the infamous Demi-Fiend boss from SMT
Miku Maekawa? You mean @CompaKonpa? That's me, but I didn't make that art. I found it here: https://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/3480860?q=roto

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
You've done civilization a great service this day by retweeting that image.
lol thanks. I just found it on Danbooru and liked it, so I wanted to share it on Twitter. Of course, I linked the source back to the danbooru site. I'm just surprised people on here are talking about my Twitter account. By the way, are you @ErdrickSSBU?

D

Deleted member

lol thanks. I just found it on Danbooru and liked it, so I wanted to share it on Twitter. Of course, I linked the source back to the danbooru site. I'm just surprised people on here are talking about my Twitter account. By the way, are you @ErdrickSSBU?
No. I just stole the avatar because hot damn is it a good drawing.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nice to see more dq fans around anyway ;)

I found the artist. I will say though that you shouldn't link danbooru on this forum. You can use safebooru instead it uses the same tags but filters out the nsfw stuff. I'm glad whenever someone draws a new girl erdrick :D

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Nice to see more dq fans around anyway ;)

I found the artist. I will say though that you shouldn't link danbooru on this forum. You can use safebooru instead it uses the same tags but filters out the nsfw stuff. I'm glad whenever someone draws a new girl erdrick :D
Good point. I should've used safebooru instead. I'll keep that in mind for next time :)

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Apparently, Joker used Cloud as a base. Not Mii Sword Fighter as some had speculated due to the Mii Swordfighter/Duck Hunt glitch.

https://twitter.com/RobbyB3ll4s/status/1119302190600990720

The speculation now is that Mii Swordfighter is being used as a base for Erdrick and Duck Hunt is being used as a base for Banjo-Kazooie.
That's what I heard. I'm not 100% convinced, but it kind of makes sense. Of course, we don't know for sure how Erdrick would play if he got in.

D

Deleted member

Apparently, Joker used Cloud as a base. Not Mii Sword Fighter as some had speculated due to the Mii Swordfighter/Duck Hunt glitch.

The speculation now is that Mii Swordfighter is being used as a base for Erdrick and Duck Hunt is being used as a base for Banjo-Kazooie.
While it would calm me that it means Erdrick, Cloud didnt caused any issues so the theory seems reaching :b

(Especially since Banjo would use a humanoid skeleton rather than a dog)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think it's a fun theory, but it's kind of wild tho.
The bugs could be because of lots of things, so to say it's because of banjo or erdrick is kinda funny :p

D

Deleted member

I'm still not convinced that the Duck Hunt and Mii Swordfighter theory mean anything, especially since Cloud didn't **** over anything in Ultimate.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
While it would calm me that it means Erdrick, Cloud didnt caused any issues so the theory seems reaching :b

(Especially since Banjo would use a humanoid skeleton rather than a dog)
I don't understand how people think Brave means Banjo. Am I missing something here? I know the floatiness could be similar to Banjo and Kazooie, but what does Brave have to do with them?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Honestly, I think the idea that Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt were used as bases for upcoming newcomers is really reaching. Especially in regards to Duck Hunt and Banjo.

Sometimes things just happen in-between updates. Not everything has to be related to future characters.

I don't need something like that to think Erdrick is likely to be playable.

D

Deleted member

I don't understand how people think Brave means Banjo. Am I missing something here? I know the floatiness could be similar to Banjo and Kazooie, but what does Brave have to do with them?
I don't see a connection beyond stats. Some people are definitely clinging onto Polarpanda's vaguely reliable Microsoft source (like me) and that weird first letter theory. (Jack and Joker both start with J and Pakku and Piranha. So Brave and Banjo? Yeah, it's a stretch.) Other than that, since we officially have proof that two Ultimate characters have had their stats changed, it's hard to believe Banjo is Brave beyond the possibility that Banjo might be in

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom