• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

This is irrelevant to Dragon Quest in general, but I busted out the sketchbook again to sketch Joker real quick. Expect me to sketch the Erdricks when their renders are available.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Now that I think about it, it's very possible Erdrick may not get tension/pep at all. If Joker already has a guage, it's possible he would want to change it up. That or make tension/pep up similar to Lucario.

I'd love to fight everyone here....to the death :p
Man!
We should make an Arena if that happens.
“Patty’s planning Place” or “Endor Tournament” or “Descendants of Erdrick” or “Guild of Erdricks” and just test ourselves all day.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Now that I think about it, it's very possible Erdrick may not get tension/pep at all. If Joker already has a guage, it's possible he would want to change it up. That or make tension/pep up similar to Lucario.

I'd love to fight everyone here....to the death :p
Whoa there buddy thems fighting words

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Man!
We should make an Arena if that happens.
“Patty’s planning Place” or “Endor Tournament” or “Descendants of Erdrick” or “Guild of Erdricks” and just test ourselves all day.
We could call it "temple of dharma" or something too haha.

i'd be down i want to main a different swordsman other then mii
Same. I have Joker as my main atm, but everyone is playing him haha.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
We could call it "temple of dharma" or something too haha.

Same. I have Joker as my main atm, but everyone is playing him haha.
i'm a Pac man main and i totally feel alone in this but it's funny seeing people eat my fruit so meh

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
So, I'm nearing the end of DQV, and who do I find, but :ultkrool:?
Screenshot_20190420-223126.png

I also encountered this legendary dude.
Screenshot_20190420-110329.png

Jokes aside, I think I love this game.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Does anyone here think we will have erdrick possibly revealed at e3 with another dlc fighter from Microsoft or maybe we’ll find out who brave truly is through a future direct possibly? I’m putting my claim that we’re gonna have to wait a couple months to find out our heroes true fate. Anyone agree?

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I think that's we will get more Directs on the next two months. This year Nintendo will be out of E3 physically, so I think they will make something to build a hype out of E3.
And probably, the MS rep will be announced in the Microsoft E3 announcement.
So, I think Brave will be announced the end of this month or the beginning of the next. With a closer release date then Joker as the two was been worked at the same time. Think he will be tied with a game release. Then on MS presentation they will show the trailer of the MS character with his game been arriving with the Game Pass on Switch.
The Brave's Game goes out in August, MS Character later with the Game Pass.
Brave been Erdrick and the game Dragon Quest Trilogy.
The MS Character I'm between Master Chief and Banjo, more to John, as even Banjo been more requested(And I wanting him more), Chief makes more sense to represent MS.

Fourth Character showed at TGS and released on the Smash 1 year Anniversary.
Season 1 last character showed at 1 year Smash Direct. Released on February(Best Scenario: with the Season 2 announced.)

Edit: Happy Easter everyone! ^^

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Does anyone here think we will have erdrick lossibly revealed at e3 with another dlc fighter from Microsoft or maybe we’ll find out who brave truly is through a future direct possibly? I’m putting my claim that we’re gonna have to wait a couple months to find out our heroes true fate. Anyone agree?
That's exactly what I'm thinking is going to happen. Erdrick and Banjo-Kazooie will be the E3 reveals. Erdrick will release right after while Banjo-Kazooie will release in August. Or vice versa.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think that's we will get more Directs on the next two months. This year Nintendo will be out of E3 physically, so I think they will make something to build a hype out of E3.
And probably, the MS rep will be announced in the Microsoft E3 announcement.
So, I think Brave will be announced the end of this month or the beginning of the next. With a closer release date then Joker as the two was been worked at the same time. Think he will be tied with a game release. Then on MS presentation they will show the trailer of the MS character with his game been arriving with the Game Pass on Switch.
The Brave's Game goes out in August, MS Character later with the Game Pass.
Brave been Erdrick and the game Dragon Quest Trilogy.
The MS Character I'm between Master Chief and Banjo, more to John, as even Banjo been more requested(And I wanting him more), Chief makes more sense to represent MS.

Fourth Character showed at TGS and released on the Smash 1 year Anniversary.
Season 1 last character showed at 1 year Smash Direct. Released on February(Best Scenario: with the Season 2 announced.)

Edit: Happy Easter everyone! ^^
I dont think a microsoft rep has that much chance, even if more on good terms with nintendo than before.
Other than that, I think it could make sense :)

A man of few words :)

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Regardless of who it is, Brave should be the next one in line. Better brace ourselves. If Brave isn’t a Dragon Quest character, I’d be shocked.

What other code name could they possibly use?

Also, I’m on the side of the fence that expects only one character for e3. They want to stretch DLC out, so I don’t see 2 coming at the same time now.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Regardless of who it is, Brave should be the next one in line. Better brace ourselves. If Brave isn’t a Dragon Quest character, I’d be shocked.

What other code name could they possibly use?

Also, I’m on the side of the fence that expects only one character for e3. They want to stretch DLC out, so I don’t see 2 coming at the same time now.
Yeah, they sure will try to stretch, but they have 4 characters to announce and release and only 9 months till their limit date(February 2020), so the next character announcement is coming out this or next month. To June, July or August the next be announced to still have September October November to the Fourth be announced and November December January to the last be announced.
Edit: I put November two times, that if 4th got announced on September, the chance to 5th be announced in November is high.
The only probably announcement in February would be a Fighter Pass 2 as they said that they want to release all Fighters till February.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
A thought just came up in my head. Dragon Quest day is around May 27 right? What if something happens?
I was wondering too. It only started last year i think so it's possible it's not established enough yet to have anything, but it'd be a good date to lookout for i think.
I mean, especially if it makes more sense to have a reveal at some kind of japanese stream, it could happen. tho it's kinda really close to june (and e3), so I dont know.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
More importantly I keep hoping erdrick will be top tier if he makes it in. Especially given with how good joker seems to be right now though because I’m looking at all the moveset concepts, he may be middle tier possibly. What do you guys think the hero will rank and maybe he will appear often in competitive play if he releases?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
More importantly I keep hoping erdrick will be top tier if he makes it in. Especially given with how good joker seems to be right now though because I’m looking at all the moveset concepts, he may be middle tier possibly. What do you guys think the hero will rank and maybe he will appear often in competitive play if he releases?
That's like.. incredibly hard to talk about when we have no clue how sakurai would actually make them play XD
But I think they'd be high tier at the very least. I think they want to make sure the 3rd party characters are good enough :)

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
A thought just came up in my head. Dragon Quest day is around May 27 right? What if something happens?
Has anything Smash-related ever happened on a franchise anniversary? People bring up that sort of thing for potential reveals constantly, but I don't think I've seen it pan out a single time.

And I wouldn't count on seeing a reveal at any kind of Japanese-only stream. Leaving aside that those variety show-type streams are basically unwatchable, it'd be pretty silly to do all this Smash stuff to promote the series outside Japan, then laser-focus the reveal on Japan instead of just doing it normally. I still think the best bet is for a teaser to come after some other Dragon Quest game gets the spotlight in a Direct, either XI S or I-III ports or something. Whether that's at E3 or before or after, and whether anyone else is announced at the same time, at this point I don't think anyone can reasonably guess.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Believe it or not, this is actually a little how one of my main characters in dragon quest 9 kinda looked. XD

Only, she was also a paladdin alot of the time. I tried to give her non-platemail stuff most of the time tho. I could afford it since I'd used her a lot more than the others and she could tank a bunch. I had healing too so obvs she was good for it. But I kinda regret not having made and stuck with a smaller team than i did since you can't switch out your main character, I didn't mind tanking but I loved the dancing classes too ;p

♪┏(・o・)┛♪┗ ( ・o・) ┓♪

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I've got a quiz that's worth a lot of points on Tuesday, I've been studying for it this weekend but I still need a review session on the day before. I'm prioritizing studying over continuing the Dragon Quest series and it's pretty agonizing not being able to continue it.

Wish me luck~

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I've got a quiz that's worth a lot of points on Tuesday, I've been studying for it this weekend but I still need a review session on the day before. I'm prioritizing studying over continuing the Dragon Quest series and it's pretty agonizing not being able to continue it.

Wish me luck~
Good luck my child.

I'd loved if he was really strong. Might give the competitive people a shot

Edit:
I apologize for being a bit late on this (exam season is always a little sketchy in terms of time), but here's my moveset concept for Eight:
https://pastebin.com/VQnCkXWR
I took a look at your moveset. I really like how you incorporated the party member system into Eight in a way that helped translate tension well. An assist based DQ hero would be a great addition to what we have made. I think another interpretation that can make this system work could be Dragon Quest Monsters Young Terry since he uses monsters to fight for him. Of course, now I'm just imagining combining all of our ideas together into a super moveset.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I took a look at your moveset. I really like how you incorporated the party member system into Eight in a way that helped translate tension well. An assist based DQ hero would be a great addition to what we have made. I think another interpretation that can make this system work could be Dragon Quest Monsters Young Terry since he uses monsters to fight for him. Of course, now I'm just imagining combining all of our ideas together into a super moveset.
Thank you! I wanted to take a Sakurai approach to moveset crafting and focus on making the character play in a similar way to the gameplay of their home series. Dragon Quest's combat is highly based around team synergy, so I felt that was a good place to base a moveset.

In other news, it has been confirmed that every DLC character will come with a Spirit board, so rev up those spirit ideas.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Hey guys anyone know what’s the best place to start with dragon quest? It’s a series I have yet to fully pick up, so are all the games in chronological order story wise or is certain dragon quest games in a different continuity altogether?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hey guys anyone know what’s the best place to start with dragon quest? It’s a series I have yet to fully pick up, so are all the games in chronological order story wise or is certain dragon quest games in a different continuity altogether?
here you go:
(from the OP)
Many people may be interested in trying Dragon Quest but don't know where to start. Though the games have a lot of similarities, each is still significantly different enough, making each special in themselves, but not all of them are necessarily as easy to get into for people new to the series. This post from TheYungLink TheYungLink may help some:

So I've noticed a trend with most (not all) people bouncing off of Dragon Quest in the past before trying a different game and ending up loving it. I'm going to chalk this up to how unfortunately hard it is to get into Dragon Quest without doing a little research first before diving into the series. You can't dive into any game in the series blindly since they each focus on different things.

I'll say that these are the ones you shouldn't start with:
  • Dragon Quest 1&2. The only reason you might want to start with these games is because you've heard that playing these games makes eventually playing Dragon Quest 3 way better. You heard right. However, I doubt a newcomer wants to make a 3 game commitment as their "first" foray into Dragon Quest, especially if they've already played tons of RPGs that have great stories and will be disappointed that these first couple of games merely have somewhat charming writing and tense resource management to complement the incredibly straightforward battle system.
  • Dragon Quest 7. I've actually heard okay things about this game, but it's loooooooooong. The story is apparently pretty good and it has a cool premise where you travel back in time on various islands to save them all from ruin in the present, each acting as a chapter on it's own. But it also has weird event flags on how to activate the next part of the story, which can be very frustrating if you're the kind of player that doesn't like looking at guides every step of the way.
  • Dragon Quest 9. It's completely different from the rest of the series, and whether you like it or not will have no bearing on your opinion of the other games. It's good for playing after getting familiar with the other games proper, especially since it has lots of callbacks, but it's not a proper first impression at all.
  • Dragon Quest 10. It's an MMO that's not even playable outside of Japan lol.
I'm iffy on these games as starters:
  • Dragon Quest 3. It stands on its own, and is a great RPG to play even today! But all your party members are customizable by the player, and while that's fun and affects the game on repeat playthroughs, if you're looking for cool interactions between party members you're out of luck. The exploration and battle tactics aspect of this game are timeless, however, if that's what you're into.
  • Dragon Quest 6. I played this one recently and had a good time. However, it isn't quite as impressive as the ones in the following section, and the story is neat but it isn't as thoroughly emotionally affecting as some people may want. It has a class system like Dragon Quest 3 and 7, however like in Dragon Quest 7 it takes a long time before you're even able to access it. Unlike Dragon Quest 3, however, all your party members are actual characters who develop lightly over the course of the story, so if that's giving you reservations about trying Dragon Quest 3 right away, perhaps this is a good compromise.
And these are all the best places to start for anyone interested:
  • Dragon Quest 4. Either the DS or the smartphone versions are greatly recommended, but this game has a unique hook most RPGs even today don't have: it has 5 chapters, the first 4 of which focus on a different set of party members as they each go through a little story that reveals more of the main plot. The 5th and final chapter introduces the main character proper who you finally get to control (you name them at the beginning of the game) as they find and recruit the party members of the first 4 chapters on their journey around the world to defeat the main villain. It's a super cool game. That said, you have to put a lot of time into the game to reach Chapter 5, so keep that in mind if you want to check it out. If you get the smartphone version, you won't get buttons like with the DS version, but you'll get a feature called "party chat," which is pressing the talk button to trigger a conversation with each of your party members reacting to the current situation. The writing is SUPER charming and funny and more than makes up for the fact that your finger is used for moving around rather than a D pad.
  • Dragon Quest 5. The one I started with. I'm currently replaying it and it's still my favorite game so far. You want a Dragon Quest game with a really good and gripping story? Here you go: you play as a child following around their father, and eventually learn that your mother is missing. Stuff happens, and now you're playing as an adult, and the entire world has changed, as you continue your search. The game handles themes of growing up and becoming an adult extremely well, and it helps make the "save the world" backdrop feel extremely personal. Saving the world is secondary to finding out answers about your family and friends, which you journey around the entire world to discover. Along with human party members, the hero can eventually learn to recruit monsters into their party, giving the game a great mix of customization (monsters) and character interaction (main character with the human party members). As the cherry on top, this game has party chat just like with DQ4. This game is so tender and warm, I love it with all my heart, and I'm extremely glad it's the first one I played.
  • Dragon Quest 8 and 11. I still haven't gotten around to these games, but I've heard nothing but good things about both of them. From what I know, Dragon Quest 11 is somehow even better than 8, so if anything 11 is the best modern game to try out as your first, and maybe check out 8 afterward since they're both gorgeous third person RPGs instead of the more classic top down ones like the earlier ones.
I hope this guide is of some use when it comes to anyone curious about Dragon Quest.
I also think DQ3 can actually be a good starting point if you like retro games as well as lighter experience with a bit less character development in the party. You can pick your characters (well the classes) except for erdrick. It's also chronologically before DQ 1 and 2. The other games dont have an important order.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Some of the games take place in the same world as each other, but it's a Zelda-like level of connection at most. Every game's story is self-contained.

You can jump in anywhere, really, but V, VIII and XI are particularly good games to start with.

Last edited:

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Right now at the moment, I just got my credit card shipped in the mail today. I plan on pre-ordering that Erdrick figure
I had my eyes on for awhile, he looks really great and I love his accessories.
4988601339865_1_large.jpg

Btw I showed my friends and family about the new DQ movie "Your Story" trailer, I was wondering if we
got any information about the movie coming to worldwide.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Can you make it erdrick?
Erdrick getting a Smash invitation directly from Rubiss in a twist on this scene would make a pretty great reveal teaser. That kind of silliness would fit right in with the way she's portrayed in Builders, too.

I've put a little too much thought into which songs I want/expect to see if DQ got the same 11-songs-3-remixes deal as Persona. It's a pipe dream, but I want to believe:

Song titles are highly variable. Ones marked with an asterisk could use a remix.

Overture [DQI]

Well, duh. Maybe the single most used song in video games. Most games have a slightly different variation on this one; I like DQXI's the best, but I could see them using DQIII's because... y'know, Erdrick. That version of the overture is actually titled "Roto" in DQIII's soundtrack as opposed to the usual "Overture (number)", so I guess you could consider it Erdrick's personal theme in addition to being the main theme of the series.

Unknown World* [DQI]

The first game's overworld theme, it also shows up in DQII and DQIII when you visit Alefgard, at least from the SFC versions onward. If Erdrick's stage is set anywhere in Alefgard this is a must-have, but it's not exactly a fast-paced battle tune, so a remix is probably necessary.

Traveling With Friends [DQII]

AKA "Traveling With Two Coffins", DQII's overworld theme once you've got the whole party together. It also plays when you complete a mission in the Heroes games, and honestly that's what I associate it with most. It captures the fun and upbeat spirit of Dragon Quest really well.

Fighting Spirit* [DQIII]

DQIII's battle theme. It's pretty good on its own, but since it's Erdrick's own fightin' music a remix would be appropriate.

Adventure [DQIII]

Yet another overworld theme, this one's a rousing march. Definitely my favourite overworld theme of that type. It's also used at a certain point in DQXI, so it's relevant, for whatever that's worth.

Hero's Challenge [DQIII]

DQIII's final boss theme, one of the best ones in the series. It's great, it plays when Erdrick takes on his ultimate foe, and it's got some of the overture in there. Some other game might also use this song prominently, like for the ultimate final boss or something, but that's a big secret.

Battle for the Glory [DQIV]

DQIV isn't connected to DQIII or Erdrick at all, but I can't imagine it not sticking its toe in somehow. It gets overlooked a lot over here, but it's hard to overstate what a big deal DQIV is in Japan. This is DQIV's normal battle theme, which has also appears in DQX and DQXI. DQXI plays it when you fight in an arena, as a reference to Alena's chapter in DQIV. That definitely works for Smash.

Great Battle in the Vast Sky [DQVIII]

An intense variation on Heavenly Flight, the song that plays when you ride Ramia in DQIII. DQVIII uses it as its final boss theme, where... hey, guess who gives you a ride? Heavenly Flight is too sedate for Smash, but this version would fit in fine while also repping DQVIII. Two godbirds with one soulstone, ahem.

Unflinchable Courage [DQXI]

The battle theme from the most recent/upcoming game in the series. Hear it in Smash, then fire up DQXI S and hear it in its natural habitat within five minutes. Easy.

Light Through the Leaves of Love* [DQXI]

Yggdrasil's theme and the all-purpose love theme from DQXI, it plays during a lot of the game's more emotional scenes. OK, this one might be a stretch, but I think it could be arranged into something really epic, maybe with some haunting vocals goin' on. It does technically have lyrics, since it's an in-universe song written by the ancient sage Serenica. It's only six lines and I don't think they actually fit the music at all, but it's a start.

Battle of the Monsters [DQM]

The battle theme from every game in the Monsters subseries, which is pretty ridiculous, but it's a good, goofy song. It'll absolutely be in the next Monsters game, which we might even get this time.

-

Runners-up from the Even More Never Gonna Happen pile include anything from Rocket Slime, Blessing of Anlucia from DQX, a DQVI Medley, an Intermezzo Medley, Go For Broke from Swords, and a deliberately annoying vocal version of Stella's Theme from DQIX. I especially want that last one.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Right now at the moment, I just got my credit card shipped in the mail today. I plan on pre-ordering that Erdrick figure
I had my eyes on for awhile, he looks really great and I love his accessories.
View attachment 211458
Btw I showed my friends and family about the new DQ movie "Your Story" trailer, I was wondering if we
got any information about the movie coming to worldwide.
God I want that so much.

Yatanagi Yatanagi Btw, watching Kamen Rider Build. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Calane

Smash Ace
This has nothing to do with anything, but is that Monster World IV's Asha I see in your avatar, Teeb147 Teeb147 ? I love the Wonder Boy/Monster World/Monster Boy series, they're tons of fun. Shantae reminds me of those games (particularly Monster World IV for obvious reasons), so I grew to love that series as well.

MW4Asha.png Asha's actually one of my favorite female video game characters of all time.

I'm so happy that the series returned with "Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom", which was an amazing game.

(Seriously, if anyone here hasn't played Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, I highly recommend giving it a try. It's really good.)

Edit: Oh, you changed it... Well this post is awkward now, lol.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This has nothing to do with anything, but is that Monster World IV's Asha I see in your avatar, Teeb147 Teeb147 ? I love the Wonder Boy/Monster World/Monster Boy series, they're tons of fun. Shantae always reminded me of those games (particularly Monster World IV for obvious reasons), so I grew to love that series as well.

View attachment 211492 Asha's actually one of my favorite female video game characters of all time.

I'm so happy that the series returned with "Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom", which was an amazing game.

(Seriously, if anyone here hasn't played Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, I highly recommend giving it a try. It's really good.)

Edit: Oh, you changed it... Well this post is awkward now, lol.
Ya it was! I love that series too. I 2d rpg-like platofmer adventures always have an appeal to me :D
dont mind me i was just exploring my gaming images folder. I like that picture of her there, too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom