• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
"Anime swordsmen" have never really been the problem. The same people who complain about them always have one exception. People just hate it when the most discussed character is someone they don't know or care about, and they convince themselves that they're a bad character to justify their annoyance.

I wanna say it'll be satisfying to see the "Erdrick is dead" people be proven wrong, but it's really just gonna result in them complaining, and that's not gonna be fun at all.

People will get over it, though. At the very least, I wanna believe most people are just apathetic.
It's really all we can do. We just have to hope for the best for them. I do hope we get fanart, if he gets in, where Erdrick is a peaceful dude in the smash roster who is kind to everyone regardless of the hate he gets LOL.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
My only hope for balance patch is quite simple actually.

I know this is 100% not happening because he was DESIGNED this way for some bizarre reason, but Little Mac should be able to Side+B after getting hit out of his Side+B. I can't think of another character who can't recover after they get rid of his recovery, since Pit in Brawl at least.

If I can't have that then:
- Kill throws
- Stronger aerials. Don't care if his aerial range is still poor.

It has to be either bad air game, or bad recovery. But having BOTH bad is not an equal trade. Heck, my complaint with Little Mac being "strong on ground, weak on air" is that he's not 100% good on ground, as he lacks killthrows. It burns me that he can land those fierce punches on the ground EXCEPT when he's grabbing an opponent.

---

As for Erdrick. I hope when he gets in he sports the Toriyama-est design of them all. I don't want them to water such a trademark style down for the sake of us casual foreigners, I want to see him designed in his original glory. (Closer to Eight's facial design than... say, Luminary or my PP character).

And the haters will probably make some mean jokes here and there to make themselves feel better, and then it'll sizzle out. They'll soon start realising that DQ IS a big deal wether they choose to look the other way or not.

............ of course, this IF Erdrick gets in.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
My only hope for balance patch is quite simple actually.

I know this is 100% not happening because he was DESIGNED this way for some bizarre reason, but Little Mac should be able to Side+B after getting hit out of his Side+B. I can't think of another character who can't recover after they get rid of his recovery, since Pit in Brawl at least.

If I can't have that then:
- Kill throws
- Stronger aerials. Don't care if his aerial range is still poor.

It has to be either bad air game, or bad recovery. But having BOTH bad is not an equal trade. Heck, my complaint with Little Mac being "strong on ground, weak on air" is that he's not 100% good on ground, as he lacks killthrows. It burns me that he can land those fierce punches on the ground EXCEPT when he's grabbing an opponent.

---

As for Erdrick. I hope when he gets in he sports the Toriyama-est design of them all. I don't want them to water such a trademark style down for the sake of us casual foreigners, I want to see him designed in his original glory. (Closer to Eight's facial design than... say, Luminary or my PP character).

And the haters will probably make some mean jokes here and there to make themselves feel better, and then it'll sizzle out. They'll soon start realising that DQ IS a big deal wether they choose to look the other way or not.

............ of course, this IF Erdrick gets in.
I really hope there's balance changes in the patch too. I want them to buff sheik some too, for one.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It is kinda weird that they feel the need to downplay the Toriyama artstyle for Western audiences. I mean, it's not like Toriyama is a nobody here, Dragon Ball Z is one of the few anime to hit really mainstream success in the West. I mean, it and my Hero Academia are the only things keeping Funimation's streaming service in business.

I think Dragon Quest VIII is the way that Dragon Quest should be in 3D. That game is beautiful on so many levels. The characters really do look just like they popped out of a Toriyama illustration.

By the way, I have an old, unfinished Eight moveset I was working on a few years based around a weapon-master playstyle and a summoning gimmick. I know it's not exactly Erdrick, but I could probably tweak it to fit him. Should I post it just to show what I have so far?

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
It is kinda weird that they feel the need to downplay the Toriyama artstyle for Western audiences. I mean, it's not like Toriyama is a nobody here, Dragon Ball Z is one of the few anime to hit really mainstream success in the West. I mean, it and my Hero Academia are the only things keeping Funimation's streaming service in business.

I think Dragon Quest VIII is the way that Dragon Quest should be in 3D. That game is beautiful on so many levels. The characters really do look just like they popped out of a Toriyama illustration.

By the way, I have an old, unfinished Eight moveset I was working on a few years based around a weapon-master playstyle and a summoning gimmick. I know it's not exactly Erdrick, but I could probably tweak it to fit him. Should I post it just to show what I have so far?
Yeah do it. I'm happy to see.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I got good news for us. Even if the update aint going right now, someone that managed to get joker posted him in training mode and guess what his height is:

17 blocks, that means his height value should be 17.
Height dun't matter yo :)

D

Deleted member

I got good news for us. Even if the update aint going right now, someone that managed to get joker posted him in training mode and guess what his height is:

17 blocks, that means his height value should be 17.
Height dun't matter yo :)
His height is 17? Wow my assumption was actually correct there.
If Joker was 15 and he now looks to be the size of a normal human character like Marth (because there's no way he's Luigi's height), this pretty much gives us a general area of error for where Brave can actually fall under by about two points. From the looks of it, if Brave's height can increase by two points, then Erdrick can definitely fit that better than people originally anticipated.

The height argument was always flimsy, but now we have evidence against it.
Luigi is roughly 15 squares, Mario is about 14, and Marth is roughly 17.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
His height is 17? Wow my assumption was actually correct there.
Yes 17 made sense and all. Altho we could still see it in the data, it could still list him as 15 somehow but even so it'd mean it's not too important for how he is standing.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Someone had a high quality height chart that was with the Erdrick Doc? The doc only is opening it in a very low quality here.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I can't believe they made us wait for the entire day for the update and their servers pooped on us.

Thinking of just going to sleep and trying Joker out tomorrow after class instead. I was unfortunately already spoiled on Joker's Classic route because I was so antsy waiting for the servers to fix themselves, and while that's on me I'm also usually way more patient.

All of this is to say that if the Smash team includes Erdrick and uses them to push Dragon Quest in the west then they better make sure their servers can handle it then. It'd work as a nice contrast to the current situation, and I imagine a couple of people here and there will go "Well, I wasn't excited for Erdrick...but at least I got the update on time...I'll mess around with them."

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I can't believe they made us wait for the entire day for the update and their servers pooped on us.

Thinking of just going to sleep and trying Joker out tomorrow after class instead. I was unfortunately already spoiled on Joker's Classic route because I was so antsy waiting for the servers to fix themselves, and while that's on me I'm also usually way more patient.

All of this is to say that if the Smash team includes Erdrick and uses them to push Dragon Quest in the west then they better make sure their servers can handle it then. It'd work as a nice contrast to the current situation, and I imagine a couple of people here and there will go "Well, I wasn't excited for Erdrick...but at least I got the update on time...I'll mess around with them."
Some brainlet decided that it be a good idea to do matinence at the same time as the update some people have him some don't I managed to get the to work by deleting the icon and just installing the game again but that doesn't help with getting joker cuz I still can't get him

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Some brainlet decided that it be a good idea to do matinence at the same time as the update some people have him some don't I managed to get the to work by deleting the icon and just installing the game again but that doesn't help with getting joker cuz I still can't get him
I was able to get him right around the last hour. I will just say that I really hope every dlc following is as good as Joker

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I stopped playing a different game and decided to try downloading the update again, it's finally loading.

Really hoping they have a solution for the next DLC fighters.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Many Joker attributes changed since 1.1.0

Weight used to be 89 and is now 93, for example. Here are the old parameters: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UdH2L0xi8dO6jyPCcO5e5-8j7SGzezxkeZuF1uP8uOw/htmlview#
Click on 1.1.0 for Jack's and Brave's stats.

I'm guessing Brave's stats are going to be pretty different from before.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
No wonder Joker’s so hard to KO. Or I just played people with incredible DI.

Anyway, this is a little experiment I’m going to do every time DLc is released.

I’m playing 10 matches to gauge player interest in the new character.

Right now I got 7/10 people used Joker.
And while I didn’t have good online the day PP released, I can tell interest has dropped like a rock. I haven’t faced a single PP online.

Wonder how Erdrick could fare.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Messed around with Joker, they're pretty fun but I was more excited for the shareable Miis and custom stages. I already got a great Mii based on Miles Edgeworth from the Phoenix Wright games.

No wonder Joker’s so hard to KO. Or I just played people with incredible DI.

Anyway, this is a little experiment I’m going to do every time DLc is released.

I’m playing 10 matches to gauge player interest in the new character.

Right now I got 7/10 people used Joker.
And while I didn’t have good online the day PP released, I can tell interest has dropped like a rock. I haven’t faced a single PP online.

Wonder how Erdrick could fare.
If Erdrick gets in, I hope more people stick with him. Piranha Plant is a funny addition but the novelty wore off fast and lots of people have picked up on how unwieldy they are, so it was inevitable they'd cool down on PP hype. I hope Erdrick has longer staying power due to how fun they'd be or just people taking a genuine interest in Dragon Quest.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Messed around with Joker, they're pretty fun but I was more excited for the shareable Miis and custom stages. I already got a great Mii based on Miles Edgeworth from the Phoenix Wright games.

If Erdrick gets in, I hope more people stick with him. Piranha Plant is a funny addition but the novelty wore off fast and lots of people have picked up on how unwieldy they are, so it was inevitable they'd cool down on PP hype. I hope Erdrick has longer staying power due to how fun they'd be or just people taking a genuine interest in Dragon Quest.
God if Erdrick gets in, I hope Sakurai and his team pour in as much effort with Joker. Plus make him very fun to play.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

Hopefully we'll see him next since we need to see the rest

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Hey, just look about that Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt glitch. I search about the glitchs and looks like they are both needed to cause the bug. More specifically is a set of Mii Swordfighter that is responsible for the glitch. That make me think about a thing. Could be that Mii Swordfighter was used as a base for Joker, and his data been manipulate cause a glitch with a complex character like Duck Hunt. Not because Duck Hunt are been used as a base, but just for they spawning objects and stuff, usually adding or removing objects are a easy way to cause a glitch. Like Village's pallet.
But then come to a thing I noticed about the characters old heights, Joker have the same height as Mii Swordfighter. But Brave has the same height as Young Link. Maybe Young Link is the base for Brave.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Joker's fun. Weak in general but strong with Arsene.
I still think it'll be a good character but it's a bit inconsistent because of that.

Also, I'm honestly glad they buffed sheik a little. Only a few characters got some buffs and now she's a bit better.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
But then come to a thing I noticed about the characters old heights, Joker have the same height as Mii Swordfighter. But Brave has the same height as Young Link. Maybe Young Link is the base for Brave.
That’s a great theory there.
Maybe we might be getting the newest version of Erdrick, the one from the artbook. I do wonder why Young Link and not Link? Maybe Yink’s attributes are closer to what they want with Brave?

Because there isn’t that much significant difference in height otherwise.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Mii swordfighter doesnt fit for anything joker does, so i really doubt it.

I'm curious what they're going to datamine now. there's gotta be something interesting in the patch.

Also, I updated the main page because the 5ch leak took a hit, and joker's height is taller than people thought.
So, one loss, one win, sorta.

D

Deleted member

The issue is that the height parameter doesnt reflect the size of a character, scale would be the one that affect it. It could very well something that is not noticeable or some old data that's just legacy.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Oh my God! I just discovered in the most recent entries of DQ Monsters there are a group of monsters based in Tokusatsu Shows, mainly Showa Kamen Riders, Super Sentai, Metal Heroes, Zubat and Kikaider. The main one even have a Riderman style arm.
スライダーヒーロー
Slider Hero
images (33).jpeg

スライダーガール
Slider Girl
download.jpeg

死神スライダーク
Shinigami Slidark
images (35).jpeg

A bunch Slider-like Sentai suits look like that are available in DQX. And I think I saw images of Slider Hero and Slidark suits in DQX too.
925395af.jpg

Also Slidark have a Giant Mech.
スライダークロボ
Slidark Robo
images (36).jpeg

There's also a Slider Bike in DQX
images (37).jpeg

I really want they announce Monsters Switch as soon as possible to the west.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
That’s a great theory there.
Maybe we might be getting the newest version of Erdrick, the one from the artbook. I do wonder why Young Link and not Link? Maybe Yink’s attributes are closer to what they want with Brave?

Because there isn’t that much significant difference in height otherwise.
Makes me curious if they are gonna give Erdrick his og super famicom design. That or maybe Erdrick is a ****** haha.

Oh my God! I just discovered in the most recent entries of DQ Monsters there are a group of monsters based in Tokusatsu Shows, mainly Showa Kamen Riders, Super Sentai, Metal Heroes, Zubat and Kikaider. The main one even have a Riderman style arm.
スライダーヒーロー
Slider Hero
View attachment 209972
スライダーガール
Slider Girl
View attachment 209974
スライダーク
Slidark
View attachment 209975
A bunch Slider Sentai suits are available in DQX. And I think I saw images of Slider Hero and Slidark suits in DQX too.
View attachment 209976
Also Slidark have a Giant Mech.
スライダークロボ
Slidark Robo
View attachment 209977

I really want they announce Monsters Switch as soon as possible to the west.
Dragon Quest Monsters would be so cool. Just more Dragon Quest is always a great thing.

D

Deleted member

Damn, I love how much Persona content we have in Smash.

Hopefully we get lucky with DQ, since some spirit battles would be cool.

JoeStronger

Smash Cadet
I seriously hope data miners don't decide to hide anything again, but to be honest I doubt they're gonna say anything.

They like to keep things to themselves it seems, which I presume they do to keep themselves out of potential trouble with Nintendo, and also so people don't pester them.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Some ideas for Erdrick DLC

Mii costume:

Erdrick's Armor (sword) and Helmet
Alena Brawler outfit
Jessica Gunner outfit
Slime Hat
Metal Slime Hat
Any of the DQ3 party member

Spirit Battles

Bianca: Zero Suit Samus + a small Zelda + a small Link

Slime: Three blue Kirby follow by a big Kirby

The Hero's Party: A multi-character battle, have a few ideas going on
Mii Gunner / Green Robin (Mage)
Mii Brawler / Green Ken (Fighter)
Mii Swordfighter / Pink Lucina (Warrior)
Mr Game and Watch / Samus with bunny ear (Jester)
Zelda (Priestess)
Villager (Merchant)
Joker (Thief)
Palutena (Sage)

D

Deleted member

Some ideas for Erdrick DLC

Mii costume:

Erdrick's Armor (sword) and Helmet
Alena Brawler outfit
Jessica Gunner outfit
Slime Hat
Metal Slime Hat
Any of the DQ3 party member

Spirit Battles

Bianca: Zero Suit Samus + a small Zelda + a small Link

Slime: Three blue Kirby follow by a big Kirby

The Hero's Party: A multi-character battle, have a few ideas going on
Mii Gunner / Green Robin (Mage)
Mii Brawler / Green Ken (Fighter)
Mii Swordfighter / Pink Lucina (Warrior)
Mr Game and Watch / Samus with bunny ear (Jester)
Zelda (Priestess)
Villager (Merchant)
Joker (Thief)
Palutena (Sage)
I like these, ngl.

Although seeing how Joker came with other costumes based on different SEGA properties like Sonic, maybe Erdrick could come with costumes of other SE franchises.

Maybe the Geno and Chocobo costumes alongside a new FF one?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I like these, ngl.

Although seeing how Joker came with other costumes based on different SEGA properties like Sonic, maybe Erdrick could come with costumes of other SE franchises.

Maybe the Geno and Chocobo costumes alongside a new FF one?
I made a Terra Mii, but I couldn't find any outfits that she could reasonably wear in the game (the closest being Viridi's outfit sans the wig, but it still isn't quite what I'm looking for). Outfits based on other FF protagonists or even just the FF7 party members would be welcome.

D

Deleted member

I made a Terra Mii, but I couldn't find any outfits that she could reasonably wear in the game (the closest being Viridi's outfit sans the wig, but it still isn't quite what I'm looking for). Outfits based on other FF protagonists or even just the FF7 party members would be welcome.
Yeah, it is possible seeing how Joker came with Sonic costumes.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Stuff changes mid-development, so I am not too surprised about the parameters being different. A Slime hat would most definitely come with Erdrick.

Reading some of the movesets conceived here, if Erdrick's Final Smash ended up being something out of Dragon Ball visual-wise (the Luminary's Gigaburst comes to mind), then that would definitely make a big first impression on people not familiar with Dragon Quest, as well as give some people more reasons to start calling him/her "Sword Goku". :p

Anyway, not sure if there is any overlap with Dragon Quest and the Dragonball fanbases here (and I am very sure someone has asked this question before), but were some of you first exposed to Dragon Quest just because of Akira Toriyama's involvement?

For me, it wasn't the case. I was first exposed to Dragon Quest when I bought and played DQVIII 3DS after an employee at GameStop gushed about it when I inquired about other 3DS RPG games, having recently beat "Fire Emblem: Awakening". TBH, I really don't care much about Dragonball, despite how popular it is.

D

Deleted member

Stuff changes mid-development, so I am not too surprised about the parameters being different. A Slime hat would most definitely come with Erdrick.

Reading some of the movesets conceived here, if Erdrick's Final Smash ended up being something out of Dragon Ball visual-wise (the Luminary's Gigaburst comes to mind), then that would definitely make a big first impression on people not familiar with Dragon Quest, as well as give some people more reasons to start calling him/her "Sword Goku". :p

Anyway, not sure if there is any overlap with Dragon Quest and the Dragonball fanbases here (and I am very sure someone has asked this question before), but were some of you first exposed to Dragon Quest just because of Akira Toriyama's involvement?

For me, it wasn't the case. I was first exposed to Dragon Quest when I bought and played DQVIII 3DS after an employee at GameStop gushed about it when I inquired about other 3DS RPG games, having recently beat "Fire Emblem: Awakening". TBH, I really don't care much about Dragonball, despite how popular it is.
I was exposed through Dragon Quest through some games that the son of one of my mother’s friends didn’t want anymore alongside a PS2 (the games were DQ8 and one of the Monster’s Jokers titles for DS).

I did not know who Toriyama was back then, but I loved the stuff I played from both games at that time.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I watched most of dragonball and I like it, but I dont think the art influenced me for what i like of Dragon Quest. I do like the lighter style, including with the monsters, so maybe indirectly, but they've always been different things in my mind. I'm pretty sure I played the first dragon quest on NES and didn't even realize and make connection with dragon ball for a long time. :p

I'm sure there's dragonball fans that like the art style enough to give DQ a try tho.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm sure there's dragonball fans that like the art style enough to give DQ a try tho.
I can confirm this as someone who has a friend who loves Dragon Ball and exactly did that.

He is interested on the DQ5 movie too.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

My cousin introduced me about a year ago. I was curious about it initially then I played a bit of 5 and 8. Since 11 was around the corner at the time, I decided to play it. And the rest is history. Now I can't shut up about it.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Myself, well, it all started with a late 2003/2004 magazine, most of the game franchises I have followed for decades were love at first sight, saw a picture or a comment in some magazine or a box art cover and was like "yep, this is what I am doing for the rest of my life"

But yeah, it was like, this thing about the history of DQ and then a section about VIII, immediately loved how it looked and it really sold the idea that it was an old and respected franchise. I wish I still had that magazine, but both it and my original PS2 copy of VIII have been lost to time :(

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
The first time I played Dragon Quest was when I was a kid on a plug'n play controller that had a Dragon Quest I, but I didn't understand English on that time and gave up before the second battle. The fist time I played well a RPG in English was Pokémon one year later. Years later I played Chrono Trigger on DS, during that time I already read a lot about Dragon Quest, but never found on the stores I used to go. Then my young brother got Swords and I didn't like that at first. But later finally I got DQIX and I just fall in love for the series more then I already admire it. Then I play Jokers. After that I played all NES games in emulator.
I still want to get the 3DS remakes as it's hard to find here and already found where to got the DS ones two, just need the money xD
I'm currently playing DQXI, but I got a little time away from it, as I lent it to my brother as he want to refresh his memory about the series, as he only played IX and Joker when he was young, also he like to play story-based games with his fiance watching.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom