• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I dunno why people keep saying that Easter egg in the new Yoshi game was a SMRPG reference.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Is it because the "Yo'ster" in Crafted World has an apostrophe? I suppose that is a point in their favor.
Well, in mario rpg the Yoshi cookies were important on that island, and stuff like that, so it does fit mario rpg the most, but it's not necessarily just about mario rpg. especially that yoshi's been around cookies for a long time.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I hope it really is intended as a reference to SMRPG, 'cause I'd love it if Nintendo acknowledged its weird/older spinoffs more often. The nods related to Piranha Plant were for real. Who really knows, though.

It wouldn't require any special permission from SE, anyway, and there's no particular Smash connection.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If Erdrick is in, they're most likely 'brave', which would be the second dlc character, so I dont think they'll wait til fall to release it.
I dunno. The fact that brave files were found just means aspects of the character were already being worked on. It doesn't have to be the character being released after Joker.

D

Deleted member

That's why I specified Ultimate newcomers. What newcomer other than Joker was revealed outside of a Nintendo or Smash direct? Joker had the excuse of not only being the day before Ultimate, but also on a world stage video game event.

One direct you pulled up from 2017 is not what I'm talking about.

When I say Nintendo Direct, I meant the ones that cover multiple games quickly. Something along the lines of the April 2017 direct.
However, the May 2017 direct focused only on Arms with a small (around 2 minute) segment of Splatoon 2. The wikipedia article's timetable makes sure to separate these two types of directs with white and yellow colors. In recent years from 2015 to now, the only big worldwide directs that cover multiple Nintendo games at once and were not E3 are:

Jan 14, 2015 - Revealing the New 3DS
April 1, 2015 - Standard Affairs
November 12, 2015 - Standard Autumn Affairs
March 3, 2016 - Not sure why there's no direct in the latter half of the year
April 12, 2017 - Standard Spring Affairs
September 13, 2017 - Standard Autumn Affairs
March 8, 2018 - Standard Spring Affairs
September 13, 2018 - Standard Autumn Affairs
February 13, 2019 - Most Definitely Standard Spring Affairs (even though it's technically winter)

Yeah. They space these things out for a couple of months. In 2015's case, they wanted to reveal a new system, which would on it's own require a direct. If you wanna expect they'll do something late April with the information I provided, go nuts. From where I'm standing, any grand info that would be available in April or May would be better saved for E3. It seems they've found their groove for now and it's logical to trust in it.
Well this post is funny to look back on.

So it seems we'll just get a Smash direct in, like, April. No Joker gameplay trailer, big update that's going to be covered later down the line (meaning it'll host additional content worth covering), and no newcomer reveal yet. Kind of overhyped this direct, but I had a fallback in my mind so I'm not too distraught on being wrong. My premature celebration still holds ground.

Reading the Square Enix thread discussing Vergeben, it seems his issue is more he's a foolish person rather than his main source being wrong. What else is new, am I right?

At this point, I have everything I need to believe Erdrick is in. Add that Dragon Quest was discussed within the direct and I think we're good. The whole observation over acquiring the music is also pretty interesting. I'm still thinking we'll get Erdrick, just not as soon as I expected. Who knows when we'll get Erdrick.

It was a good direct. Got what I mostly wanted. Looking forward to FF7, DQ 11, FE Three Houses, and Joker. I am tired debating the subject, though. I've reached a conclusion that's hard for me to compromise. By now, I'll just have to wait and see, and kill time by focusing on what's happening around me.

*Thumbs up emoji*

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I dunno why people keep saying that Easter egg in the new Yoshi game was a SMRPG reference.

Is it because the "Yo'ster" in Crafted World has an apostrophe? I suppose that is a point in their favor.
People seem to forget, that there was actually a Yoshi game, related to cookies, called "Yoshi's Cookie"

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I really wasn't expecting to see so little of Joker yesterday. I didn't think that they'd have enough up their sleeves outside the Challenger Pack to justify putting the Smash info off to be its own thing. If we're really getting a stage builder I guess there'd be enough to talk about between that and Joker to take up a modest Direct.

Of course I was hoping we'd see our guy yesterday, but I'm not surprised things shook out the way they did on that front. The collective murmurs of the insider crowd have some value, but if you could always rely on that stuff there'd be no speculation. Can't get too invested in leaks, it'll kill ya.

If I was going to engage in a bit of foolish speculation, I'd say that I can't imagine a scenario where Erdrick gets into Smash without DQI-III getting some kind of Switch rerelease. I don't think that would interfere too much with the DQ games they've already got scheduled. Whether they'd do that before or during an Erdrick announcement I can't say, but I'll be awfully suspicious if those games turn up outta nowhere.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I really wasn't expecting to see so little of Joker yesterday. I didn't think that they'd have enough up their sleeves outside the Challenger Pack to justify putting the Smash info off to be its own thing. If we're really getting a stage builder I guess there'd be enough to talk about between that and Joker to take up a modest Direct.

Of course I was hoping we'd see our guy yesterday, but I'm not surprised things shook out the way they did on that front. The collective murmurs of the insider crowd have some value, but if you could always rely on that stuff there'd be no speculation. Can't get too invested in leaks, it'll kill ya.

If I was going to engage in a bit of foolish speculation, I'd say that I can't imagine a scenario where Erdrick gets into Smash without DQI-III getting some kind of Switch rerelease. I don't think that would interfere too much with the DQ games they've already got scheduled. Whether they'd do that before or during an Erdrick announcement I can't say, but I'll be awfully suspicious if those games turn up outta nowhere.
I think Erdrick getting in won't need a direct release of DQIII as DQXI S is already in.(There's also the probability that the main body been The Luminary.) I see more the DQ Trilogy been announced after Erdrick getting in some time before DQXI S. Or we got it as clear reward as the Japanese PS4 version of DQXI with DQI.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
If there's even a single DQ Mii costume, it'll be Alena. That isn't a prediction, it's a guarantee.

If anyone felt like overthinking the minorest of details, if you pop on over to Nintendo's page for the Direct, DQXI and Fire Emblem are listed as Featured, as opposed to being mere plebeian Headlines. Does this literally just refer to the fact that those two got more time than the other trailers? Sources say, "duh".

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I wanted to get the first DQ Builders on Switch but never got around to doing it since I was focusing on getting other games like BotW and Smash. Is it worth getting the first DQ Builders or should I just wait for the second one?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wanted to get the first DQ Builders on Switch but never got around to doing it since I was focusing on getting other games like BotW and Smash. Is it worth getting the first DQ Builders or should I just wait for the second one?
I'm just guessing but I'd think that the second one is better. It just depends how much you like the style of game. I plan on playing more dragon quest builders 1 before i get into builders 2, but that's because i really like builder games and dragon quest :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It depends. From a purely gameplay perspective 2 is objectively superior, however 1's story also has a lot of really cool additional insight on the story and world of DQ1 (being an alternate timeline taking place after it), so if that sounds neat to you then I think it's worth it.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
The second will have content with the first one save. I would go for the digital version of the first.
The evolution of this game is also a thing to be enjoyed.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
It comes down to price. Builders is an actual game worth playing, not just a building toy. It's got a real story and progression and everything, and after the improvements from Builders 2 it might be hard to go back and enjoy those parts part of it without missing the new stuff. If you only have the option of one or the other or you're worried about being sick of the style by the time the sequel's out, it's probably worth just waiting for that, but the first is still worthwhile.

If you've got a PS4, that version's much cheaper these days.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I really wasn't expecting to see so little of Joker yesterday. I didn't think that they'd have enough up their sleeves outside the Challenger Pack to justify putting the Smash info off to be its own thing.
Me neither. It makes me hopeful that we'll be getting some interesting additions to the game besides just the DLC characters. Like maybe additional bosses or echo fighters.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Me neither. It makes me hopeful that we'll be getting some interesting additions to the game besides just the DLC characters. Like maybe additional bosses or echo fighters.
Imagine if the Minecraft Boss that Vergeben talked about enter that time. The boards over the internet would explode xD
By the topic, Dragon Quest boss, from any game, what would be your pic? Would go for the classic Dragonlord, with some turn base gimmicks like that boss in Kirby Super Star.
And what franchise with a fighter that didn't have a boss yet would you like insert and what it would be?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
By the topic, Dragon Quest boss, from any game, what would be your pic?
I imagine it would either be Dragonlord or Estark. Those being the two most iconic in the series.

And what franchise with a fighter that didn't have a boss yet would you like insert and what it would be?
Mother Brain. Since we lost Ridley as a boss.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Zoma would be a straightforward pick. He's Erdrick's personal archnemesis, it'd be an excuse to include Hero's Challenge, and, uh...

The fight against Calasmos, the very absolute final boss in DQXI, is modeled after the one with Zoma in DQIII, right down to the music. It's another case where you could play Smash, jump into the new hotness, and Get The Reference.

For other series bosses, Mother Brain or Kraid for Metroid, Yellow Devil or Dr. Wily for Mega Man and Metal Face for Xenoblade are the obvious ones that probably would've been included if there'd been time. In terms of new ones made from scratch, Nihilego/Lusamine would be a neat one for Pokemon (that'd never happen), and I'd kill for some kind of Dr. Eggman boss for Sonic.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So what about this whole Vergeben stuff? Some people say Erdrick is now way less likely because of it?

Also, since this is Dragon Quest related, I'm stuck in DQ1. I need those "rain and sun" objects, and I know I need to visit a graveyard of a old bard for the one rain artifact, but how do I enter that graveyard? I'm in the right town, the one north / east of the map, and am level 20, got the Mark of Erdrick, Armor of Erdrick, and basically went to all the places except the Dragon Lord's Keep. Wat do?

-Coco-

Smash Ace
So what about this whole Vergeben stuff? Some people say Erdrick is now way less likely because of it?

Also, since this is Dragon Quest related, I'm stuck in DQ1. I need those "rain and sun" objects, and I know I need to visit a graveyard of a old bard for the one rain artifact, but how do I enter that graveyard? I'm in the right town, the one north / east of the map, and am level 20, got the Mark of Erdrick, Armor of Erdrick, and basically went to all the places except the Dragon Lord's Keep. Wat do?
Verge had bad sources for the direct and got lots of stuff wrong. As a result Verge and Erdrick are called into question. The thing that people fail to realize is that Verge isn't the only 1 backing him and his main source has yet to be wrong. Which is the one backing Erdrick.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Verge had bad sources for the direct and got lots of stuff wrong. As a result Verge and Erdrick are called into question. The thing that people fail to realize is that Verge isn't the only 1 badcking him and his main source has yet to be wrong. Which is the one backing Erdrick.
Also is likely that the Star Fox GP this weak source of him gived is Starlink. It just got a race mode on the new update and this game come to public around the time Verge predicted SFGP would be announced.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Also is likely that the Star Fox GP this weak source of him gived is Starlink. It just got a race mode on the new update and this game come to public around the time Verge predicted SFGP would be announced.
Actually, SF GP was a big hoax. PolarPanda PolarPanda can attest to that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I thought of this before as well.

Also, I still would like to progress in DQ1, so any help please?

D

Deleted member

Verge had bad sources for the direct and got lots of stuff wrong. As a result Verge and Erdrick are called into question. The thing that people fail to realize is that Verge isn't the only 1 backing him and his main source has yet to be wrong. Which is the one backing Erdrick.
Yeah. At this point, I just let people say what they want. Speculating is half of the fun on here so enforcing this logic really isn't going to win Erdrick brownie points.

D

Deleted member

If I remember correctly the town you need to visit is in the northwest corner of the map. Theres a locked door in the town where the grave is, and past it you'll be there.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm more confident in Erdrick than I was before, even with verge's mess up. Nowhere near definitive, but i think there's good chances for it to happen.

If they're in, I just don't know how nintendo'll introduce it. :O

D

Deleted member

I just bought the first volume of Emblem Of Roto with the help of my friends.
Can't wait to read it at home.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Some people were talking about joker's height, and I totally forgot to look more into it, because one of the arguments against erdrick is the height stat for brave. There's been talk about joker's being short too, but I havent seen enough details to say for sure. I dunno why it's hard to find, but anyway if it's true then that does mean that the stat might not mean much, and that there isn't much in the way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Some people were talking about joker's height, and I totally forgot to look more into it, because one of the arguments against erdrick is the height stat for brave. There's been talk about joker's being short too, but I havent seen enough details to say for sure. I dunno why it's hard to find, but anyway if it's true then that does mean that the stat might not mean much, and that there isn't much in the way.
What was Joker's height stat? Joker would be the height of someone like the "adult" Erdrick.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What was Joker's height stat? Joker would be the height of someone like the "adult" Erdrick.
Right. Well that's the thing, I havent found the height stat even if i looked. Some people said toon/young link size, others said luigi. Luigi is much taller, so i dunno why both have been mentioned.

D

Deleted member

Joker's Height was 15, the same as Young Link.
That's pretty tall and Brave is supposed to be slightly shorter than Joker. Well assuming stats don't change behind the scenes. Interesting.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Thanks. Where did you get the value from? I'm trying to find a source and it hasnt been talked about much.
I think U Untouch brought it up. I know he kept up with the datamine stats.

Regardless, Joker's model appears to be taller than that maybe being around Marth/Lucina height, which is something like 17.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think U Untouch brought it up. I know he kept up with the datamine stats.

Regardless, Joker's model appears to be taller than that maybe being around Marth/Lucina height, which is something like 17.
Good point. And I actually found something finally.
https://pastebin.com/DbamgfBq

"<float hash="height">15</float>"

That's 2 points shorter than luigi, if luigi is 17.

So, not toon link height i think, but definitely shorter than the other tall-ish humans. If you're right about the marthcina height, which makes sense, then the height stat is off.
So good chances brave's stat wasn't adjusted either.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Good point. And I actually found something finally.
https://pastebin.com/DbamgfBq

"<float hash="height">15</float>"

That's 2 points shorter than luigi, if luigi is 17.

So, not toon link height i think, but definitely shorter than the other tall-ish humans. If you're right about the marthcina height, which makes sense, then the height stat is off.
So good chances brave's stat wasn't adjusted either.
Luigi is 14 or 15, iirc. Not 100% sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom