• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Well no news is good news I guess.

The fact that they went out of their way to talk a lot about DQ separately from the other lineups really says something though.
I was really goin' there for a minute. They gave it basically the same kind of Big Attention as Fire Emblem. Good sign either way.

If we get him, I don't think he'll be revealed until closer to D Q11's release.

Speaking of which, looks like it's gonna be amazing.
I'm really impressed with how well DQXI holds up on Switch. Compared to a lot of PS4-to-Switch crunchdowns it looks pretty much fine. I'm glad we're getting the 2D mode too, that's cute.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Do you guys think Nintendo did a good job at marketing Dragon Quest XI-S?

What do you think Nintendo needs to do to make the Erdrick announcement exciting? Bring up the port again, bring a 3D remake of DQ3 with the DQ11 engine? What else?

D

Deleted member

Surprised by the amount of time DQXI S had dedicated to it, happy that Nintendo likes the franchise a lot. Hope this bodes well for the future, not only for Smash but for the franchise to stop having release droughts in the future.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

What do you think Nintendo needs to do to make the Erdrick announcement exciting? Bring up the port again, bring a 3D remake of DQ3 with the DQ11 engine? What else?
Sure, they did a good job showing it off.

I suppose it's possible for the other dragon quests sometime too, but if there likely isn't a nintendo direct before e3, then i could only see there being something in another type of direct. Or just announce.

Calane

Smash Ace
Well, looks like we have to suffer through all of this waiting even longer... Woo-hoo...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The wait isn't great.

I will say though that seeing all the DQ attention in the direct still has my hopes up.
Also, lots of people are iffy on verge because he messed up, but with what he said about his main sources and Erdrick, I feel more confident in erdrick now.

We just have to stand strong and believe it's worth the wait :)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

This is the hardest Nintendo has ever pushed DQ. Not only that, but they straight up said how important of a series it is. If I were a betting man, I'd say they are absolutely laying the ground work for a Smash x DQ reveal.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This is the hardest Nintendo has ever pushed DQ. Not only that, but they straight up said how important of a series it is. If I were a betting man, I'd say they are absolutely laying the ground work for a Smash x DQ reveal.
Groundwork makes sense, but then I wonder where they would talk about DQ3. Maybe a DQ focused direct, but then where would they show joker gameplay?
Unless it's both :p A reveal somewhere, and then talk more about it in a smash direct. Dunno, just wondering.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am so excited for Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Dragon Quest XI S!

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Groundwork makes sense, but then I wonder where they would talk about DQ3. Maybe a DQ focused direct, but then where would they show joker gameplay?
Unless it's both :p A reveal somewhere, and then talk more about it in a smash direct. Dunno, just wondering.
I would say that Erdrick himself isn't THAT important to lay the ground work for, especially if he does come with Luminary as an Alt.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I would say that Erdrick himself isn't THAT important to lay the ground work for, especially if he does come with Luminary as an Alt.
I dunno, as a main face for the dlc character, I would expect them to want to give some context for where he comes from. I can see your point for DQ in general maybe. Luminary will only be on the switch in fall :p

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I dunno...giving away free copies of DQ1 with Nintendo Power subscriptions was a pretty hard ****in push.
Still, in that case it was because there was a lot of copies that weren't going to sell on their own considering how unfamiliar with RPGs the West would be, unless I have my info wrong.

Nintendo pushing DQ11 for Switch so hard is a different beast entirely. They are trying to make it a mainstream hit...and they may succeed.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Confession time:
I always thought Drackys were supposed to be, like, baby dragons. And that they were named after drakes.

I just found out that they're actually named after Dracula, and they're just bats...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I dunno...giving away free copies of DQ1 with Nintendo Power subscriptions was a pretty hard ****in push.
Still, in that case it was because there was a lot of copies that weren't going to sell on their own considering how unfamiliar with RPGs the West would be, unless I have my info wrong.

Nintendo pushing DQ11 for Switch so hard is a different beast entirely. They are trying to make it a mainstream hit...and they may succeed.
Yeah It was for the rest of the copies they hadn't sold. It was successful of a push anyway, cuz they got a lot of 20$ subs for it.
I didn't realize it means a lot weren't sold at full price.

These days it's pretty normal for games to go on special, so in a way i see it as a primal 'special' sale.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I bought mine at full price...I was down for anything with knights and dragons as a kid.

On a related note, **** Hydlide.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I bought mine at full price...I was down for anything with knights and dragons as a kid.

On a related note, **** Hydlide.
It was pretty normal to rent games back then. I think a lot of people played it like that too. Tho the sale numbers were actually pretty high, so i guess tons of people did buy it. makes sense for an rpg too.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hydlide and Athena were the two games that taught me not to buy games based on their box art...
Heh, at least Athena was decently fun.

I just realized that DQ1 sold less than Dq2, 3, and 4. Even if it has mostly to do with japan, it's funny that more of them played the later ones than the first one. (technically doenst matter as much for 3, i guess)

Edit: technically more played dq1 in the west. at least from the lists i saw.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I think this is the first Nintendo Direct to have such similar DQ content between the Japanese and English versions. Which is to say, we got Builders and they got a Rivals port, and the DQXI trailers were pretty different between regions, but both sides got the same intro bit with Koizumi and the autumn release window. Brave new world.

The key items are that DQXI S is coming out at roughly the same time worldwide, and that Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe have two Dragon Quest games to promote and publish before the year's out. To be clear: Square Enix is publishing the PS4 version of Builders 2 themselves (and their social media is hilariously only acknowledging that version), and they previously published the PS4 and PC versions of DQXI, but Nintendo's western arms are publishing DQXI S and the Switch version of Builders. Nintendo has published all western releases of DQ games on their own systems since... uh, for a while.

Nintendo's stake in Dragon Quest is unusually high right now, and for once the big release is happening simultaneously everywhere, so any big Smash-shaped promotion they might do could actually be timed effectively to fit into both Japanese and western marketing. If leaks and other silliness weren't a factor, I think now would be the point where I might start thinking, y'know, I wouldn't put it past 'em.

We'll find out, I guess. I'm very curious to see where things go from here.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Not related to the direct, but I was just looking at japan's population for fun, and it's been a bit above 120m for a while now.

If we look at the sales for DQ, they've been around 4 million for each original game of the main series for a while. (DQ11 is probably higher now)
That's a pretty big amount. I dont know how many of those are the same people buying the next game in the series, but im guessing the number of people who've played DQ (at least one game in the series) is pretty high. Also, households have more than 1 person, so there's that too.

on other subject, im pretty curious about dqbuilders2.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Guys just realized a big deal that could skyrocket even more Erdrick's chances.
DQXI S will be getting exclusive new musics and arrangements. This means that indeed the Sugiyama wall has been opened by Nintendo.
The last argument against The Hero have fallen.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
The fact that they decided to Give Dragon Quest XI S it's own spotlight makes me even more convinced that Erdrick is indeed happening...

They're making a big deal out of it, for a reason, and probably not just because it's a huge icon of Japanese gaming...

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Guys just realized a big deal that could skyrocket even more Erdrick's chances.
DQXI S will be getting exclusive new musics and arrangements. This means that indeed the Sugiyama wall has been opened by Nintendo.
The last argument against The Hero have fallen.
This is what really caught me off guard. I don't know who did what to whom to get this to happen, but it's pretty impressive.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
They say Erdrick's chances were dented due to the direct.
But I didn't see any KH announcement Even with all the KH director/staff retweets. But DQ got it's own little spot.
There was also nothing Even closely rescenbling any forma of RPG Mario.
The only other Square Enix related game shown, was FF7, and it didn't struck me as if they were making a big deal out of it.

I am so excited for DQXIs. I usually wait for price drops and sales for games I want. But not this time. I'm getting that game as soon as I can. But I want to wait in case they announce something like a DQXIs + Amiibo bundle.

Also, DQB2 looks really fun!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But I didn't see any KH announcement Even with all the KH director/staff retweets. But DQ got it's own little spot.
The only other Square Enix related game shown, was FF7, and it didn't struck me as if they were making a big deal out of it.

I am so excited for DQXIs. I usually wait for price drops and sales for games I want. But not this time. I'm getting that game as soon as I can. But I want to wait in case they announce something like a DQXIs + Amiibo bundle.

The problem is that many people tend to make everything involved with Smash without any reason.

It was clear for me that the retweets from Square workers were for general stuff and not Smash.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Actually, there was a SMRPG reference in the new Yoshi game.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah, if Erdrick's chances where dented just because he wasn't announced, then EVERYONE'S chances where dented, because nobody was announced.

All that other DQ stuff makes him feel more likely than ever. Like I said before though, I don't think he's coming out till DQ11 does, and they wouldn't announces a Smash DLC character in February if that character isn't coming out till Fall.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Actually, there was a SMRPG reference in the new Yoshi game.
Oh. I didn't see that one. I was away, and couldn't find the whole direct in one video, so I watched them independantly to the best of my memory.

Was I the only one who nearly had a little stroke when the DQ Magic sound interrupted the speaker?
My mind raced like 10 minutes ahead, and in that tiny period of time until DQXIs was announced, I thought "Erdrick!! And they're focusing on the magic aspect to set him apart from the FE characters right off the bat!"

But lf course, DQXIs and all of its delicious new features were an equally exciting annocement to me.
(Also hoping for new endings for those of us who got it late, but it deserves the title lf Definitive Edition)

D

Deleted member

Oh. I didn't see that one. I was away, and couldn't find the whole direct in one video, so I watched them independantly to the best of my memory.

Was I the only one who nearly had a little stroke when the DQ Magic sound interrupted the speaker?
My mind raced like 10 minutes ahead, and in that tiny period of time until DQXIs was announced, I thought "Erdrick!! And they're focusing on the magic aspect to set him apart from the FE characters right off the bat!"

But lf course, DQXIs and all of its delicious new features were an equally exciting annocement to me.
(Also hoping for new endings for those of us who got it late, but it deserves the title lf Definitive Edition)
I just loved to see new stuff about DQB2 and how DQXI looked like on Switch.
I am glad that I didn’t buy the PS4 port before the Direct, because I really want the Switch one more. I will try to get it at launch if possible.
And while some may be mad at me about this, every DQ stuff in the Direct took out of my mouth the bad taste that Ultimate Alliance 3 gave me.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If Erdrick is in, they're most likely 'brave', which would be the second dlc character, so I dont think they'll wait til fall to release it.

It would make more sense to release them around the same time as DQ11 if there's a luminary alt, but it's not like Corrin, the game is already out on other consoles. And unlike Cloud, Erdrick's original game has been on nintendo consoles.

If it does take a long time, I mean I can't do much about it and just getting them in is amazing, but I'd rather not have to wait that long, really :upsidedown:

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I dunno why people keep saying that Easter egg in the new Yoshi game was a SMRPG reference.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Is it because the "Yo'ster" in Crafted World has an apostrophe? I suppose that is a point in their favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom