• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
The trailer was funny. It plays the triumphant overture theme while Japan is being invaded by underworld monsters like it's an apocalyptic scenario
For the last decade DQ hasn't had other trailer theme other than the Overture, I like the tune but I am tired of it in such situations.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I fell out of Pokémon Go, and I'm a huge Pokémon fan, but Dragon Quest Walk looks like it's right up my alley.

Does anyone think Western players would be into the idea of "Pokémon Go but YOU'RE the one leveling up, and you get to fight little battles as you walk"? Cuz as soon as I worded it out, I realized how much I'd love it.

But yeah, it looks like it may be Japan only...

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I loved the trailer. Seriously, this sounds a lot better than Pokémon Go.

Sadly I wouldn’t be able to play it even if we got it.

—-

On another note, you know what I would really really want out of DQXIs?

A new ending. Seriously, a new canon ending. I don’t even know how it ends with exact detail, and I don’t want to know, but they’ve taken SO LONG, and spoilers have been so relentless, that what it feels like the bigger surprises I already know.
Sometimes users here just blurt them out with no regards to those who are patiently and faithfully waiting for this game to come to the Switch.

... so that. Either a whole new canon ending, unlocked through an alternate way, or WAY more story at the end, that people who wouldn’t buy the game twice would miss out on.

Sorry for the rant, I’m just frustrated.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
My nominations for most powerful ******* in terms of raw power in Smash Bros are

• Joker: He battles demons, can summon the literal embodiment of sin to kill God, and can switch Personas to nullify certain elements and physical attacks.
  • Robin: Canonically, he can destroy the world.
Tons of characters in Smash are a log stronger than people give them credit for. Mario himself has defeated world ending demons a couple of times. It's kind of difficult to measure these things.

Calane

Smash Ace
I think Dragon Quest Walk looks pretty darn cool. Don't really have any interest in playing it myself, but I like the idea.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I loved the trailer. Seriously, this sounds a lot better than Pokémon Go.

Sadly I wouldn’t be able to play it even if we got it.

—-

On another note, you know what I would really really want out of DQXIs?

A new ending. Seriously, a new canon ending. I don’t even know how it ends with exact detail, and I don’t want to know, but they’ve taken SO LONG, and spoilers have been so relentless, that what it feels like the bigger surprises I already know.
Sometimes users here just blurt them out with no regards to those who are patiently and faithfully waiting for this game to come to the Switch.

... so that. Either a whole new canon ending, unlocked through an alternate way, or WAY more story at the end, that people who wouldn’t buy the game twice would miss out on.

Sorry for the rant, I’m just frustrated.
My hope is the post game content is much more expansive. That post game, while still good, is definitely the weakest from a story perspective just cause there isn't enough of it.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Figured I may as well just say this, With Dragon Quest Walk being announced, expect the June 10th WSJ announcement to be about that and the beta it will have on the 11th.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Figured I may as well just say this, With Dragon Quest Walk being announced, expect the June 10th WSJ announcement to be about that and the beta it will have on the 11th.
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it was that. There was also a rumour going around, although I'm not too sure so dont quote me yet, that we might have Pop from Dai no Daiboken as a playable character for Jump Force.

I'm hoping we get DQ11S deets, maybe some more DQ games coming soon like the new monster game etc. Praying for that Erdrick/Luminary reveal for the Nintendo direct.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it was that. There was also a rumour going around, although I'm not too sure so dont quote me yet, that we might have Pop from Dai no Daiboken as a playable character for Jump Force.

I'm hoping we get DQ11S deets, maybe some more DQ games coming soon like the new monster game etc. Praying for that Erdrick/Luminary reveal for the Nintendo direct.
Pop was datamined, but I wouldn't bank on that announcement happening in the next issue, since that's clearly for a season 2 and Season 1 has only released 3 of 9 characters.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Walk looks interesting, not my cup of tea though.
In other news I just started playing DQ11 after putting it off for a while. I only finished the prologue but from my first impressions it looks very amazing.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Cool news people.
Seriously, with the amount of DQ news cropping up recently, and with DQXI making its way to Switch later this year, it seems increasingly likely that Erdrick - or at least a DQ rep in general - is coming to Smash. Especially if it's at all planned that DQXII is coming to the Switch, as well.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
In second thought, don't DQ battles take a bit too long for a Go style game? Like, in general I could see one taking 1-3 minutes vs PkmnGo which is resolved in 30s-1min as far as I remember. I feel like there are better takes for DQ mobile than what they did, but lets see.
Also, its super easy to play Japan only games on mobile, no worries about that, just an android emulator and a proxy and boom, its not even illegal.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Cool news people.
Umm.. wow. That's pretty big to announce. Well, we know we're getting dq12 then :)
I'm surprised they're making so many announcements all at once, but hey they didnt have something cool like a trailer or anything, so maybe we'll see something of it at e3. Might be too early in development for gameplay, but most people dont check the japanese news so it'd still be really cool to see.

D

Deleted member

I'm not expecting news for a while on DQXII, at least not until XIS is out. I think they just wanted to get it out there that it's beginning development around now just for the sake of confirming it.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Brave's stage has allegedly leaked:

Update: May have jumped the gun a little. Turns out it's probably fake.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Brave's stage has allegedly leaked:
Whoaa, ok well it sucks that people try to do fake stuff. Anyway, i just checked and apparently others cant find the string:

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I just ordered 2 Slime plushies :)

I'm pretty happy about it actually :D

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Guys.

DQ day
Dragon Quest Walk
Dragon Quest 11 S
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Dragon Quest 12 (Holy ****ing ****)
Pop datamine for jump force
Dai in jump force

Erdrick/Luminary for smash please?

Such a good year for us

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Guys.

DQ day
Dragon Quest Walk
Dragon Quest 11 S
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Dai in jump force

Such a good year for us
Dragon Quest collection for Switch seems like a good one too :)
Would be good timing for the rest too

D

Deleted member

Guys.

DQ day
Dragon Quest Walk
Dragon Quest 11 S
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Dai in jump force

Such a good year for us
Even if the Smash rumors turn out to dud somehow this will still be an amazing year for us, we're having it good lol
And hold on, Pop in Jump Force?
....I still probably won't play it but Dai no Daiboken getting this much love lately is great.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Even if the Smash rumors turn out to dud somehow this will still be an amazing year for us, we're having it good lol
And hold on, Pop in Jump Force?
....I still probably won't play it but Dai no Daiboken getting this much love lately is great.
Yeah apparently hes a datamine. I dislike jump force but hey I dont mind rofl.

Dragon Quest collection for Switch seems like a good one too :)
Would be good timing for the rest too
That would be amazing. Also I just remembered, Horii mentioned that he would consider a DQ3 remake after DQ12. HELL YEAH

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Naoyatodo Naoyatodo I saw that you added zap instead of sizz! Very cool. I hope you havent gotten rid of sizz, maybe you could add it at the end of the document just to show it. Also I didn't save it and I actually would like to talk about it too. It's been in some of my movesets so i do think it's a neat move.

Hope to see it around, and this time i'll save it to make sure i have it somewhere.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Naoyatodo Naoyatodo I saw that you added zap instead of sizz! Very cool. I hope you havent gotten rid of sizz, maybe you could add it at the end of the document just to show it. Also I didn't save it and I actually would like to talk about it too. It's been in some of my movesets so i do think it's a neat move.

Hope to see it around, and this time i'll save it to make sure i have it somewhere.
Same I need to find it myself.

EDIT:

Also the new Dragon Quest Walk character designs are honestly not bad at all

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't expect DQXII to come out any time soon, but it's encouraging that they're talking about it publicly. Hopefully the technical foundation XI laid will sustain the series for a while now, and releases will come a little more often.

This feels a bit weird to say in an Erdrick thread, but I do hope that XII is its own separate thing, not tied into any past games. XI was enough of a throwback to last me for a good long while. I think we're due for something a little more experimental... by DQ's standards, anyway.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't expect DQXII to come out any time soon, but it's encouraging that they're talking about it publicly. Hopefully the technical foundation XI laid will sustain the series for a while now, and releases will come a little more often.

This feels a bit weird to say in an Erdrick thread, but I do hope that XII is its own separate thing, not tied into any past games. XI was enough of a throwback to last me for a good long while. I think we're due for something a little more experimental... by DQ's standards, anyway.
I agree 100%. XI was clearly made to be a celebration of the series thus far, and totally succeeded while still forging its own identity, but I would for sure like to see something totally new.

-------------------------------

That aside though, I will leave the best fanart for DQ Walk here.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

I agree. I would love a standalone story like DQ8 was. I wouldn't mind if 12-14 was an overarching trilogy however, but a standalone story is welcome. We don't need a throwback to the Zenethian trilogy for example.

I agree 100%. XI was clearly made to be a celebration of the series thus far, and totally succeeded while still forging its own identity, but I would for sure like to see something totally new.

-------------------------------

That aside though, I will leave the best fanart for DQ Walk here.
That slimes getting ******* yo

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Same I need to find it myself.

EDIT:

Also the new Dragon Quest Walk character designs are honestly not bad at all

Ok I ****in love these designs XD

I dont think dq12 will be soon either, but maybe some spin-off game has been in the works and wont be long. At least wondering when the new dragon quest monsters will be out because i wanna play it :)

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
In Dragon Quest VII, there's a barrel you need to break to dig underneath it for a machine part (that's all I can say without going into spoilers). Thing is...it's weirdly hard to break. You can't break it from the bottom, you can't break it from the right, you can ONLY break it from the bottom right, and in a specific spot.

It feels like an oversight in the programming, as it shouldn't be anywhere near that finicky. Every other barrel I've come across is just "press A to break it". Posting this to let anyone else playing DQ7 know.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I dont think dq12 will be soon either, but maybe some spin-off game has been in the works and wont be long. At least wondering when the new dragon quest monsters will be out because i wanna play it :)
I'm sure Monsters will be next year's big game. I feel like we'll get a formal reveal in the next couple of months, and it'll start to really gear up once XI S is out of the way.

I'm very optimistic about the new Monsters. If it really is built on XI's bones the end result could be very impressive, especially compared to the relatively unambitious Sword and Shield. DQM isn't gonna dethrone Pokémon or anything, but I could see that getting it some favourable attention.

Last edited:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
The contrast between DQ Walk's trailer and those of other augmented reality games is really funny. Pokemon Go/Minecraft Earth portray their respective games elements as wonderful or fun, but the presence of Dragon Quest's monsters in Japan is a potential national disaster, all while the Overtune plays.

On another note, E3 is 6 days away.

EDIT: For some reason, only the last two messages loaded just now, and I somehow missed a bunch of news discussion. Oops.

I was gonna add the original image at the end, but Google Docs was bugging out and wasn't loading any images I would upload. I was struggling to add Zap, even. I'll update it in a bit.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The contrast between DQ Walk's trailer and those of other augmented reality games is really funny. Pokemon Go/Minecraft Earth portray their respective games elements as wonderful or fun, but the presence of Dragon Quest's monsters in Japan is a potential national disaster, all while the Overtune plays.

On another note, E3 is 6 days away.

EDIT: For some reason, only the last two messages loaded just now, and I somehow missed a bunch of news discussion. Oops.

I was gonna add the original image at the end, but Google Docs was bugging out and wasn't loading any images I would upload. I was struggling to add Zap, even. I'll update it in a bit.
I'm glad to hear youre adding it. I added the link to your moveset in the first post of the thread. I havent commented on it but i will sometime.

Unrelated, I found this art, and it uses the patented closed-eyes technique, which im familiar with because it helps to not have to draw eyes when youre a newb :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Something I have been wondering about lately..... If we were to get a DQ character in Smash that wasn't Erdrick or the Luminary, who do you think it would be then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom