• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Eight or Madason hopefully, alternatively Jade.
I could totally see one of the more popular party members from any of the games being in Smash, to be honest.
Aside from Jade; Alena, Torneko, Yangus, and Sylvando all come to mind.
But aside from the two big choices I think Madason would be next down the line, with DQ5 being one of the most popular games in the series still.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well...even if i havent played 11, I really wouldn't mind Jade in smash at all :D

Oh, and i still think the DQ Builders could be possible ;p

On another note, Here's some aasci art of Abel I saw:

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm glad to hear youre adding it. I added the link to your moveset in the first post of the thread. I havent commented on it but i will sometime.

Unrelated, I found this art, and it uses the patented closed-eyes technique, which im familiar with because it helps to not have to draw eyes when youre a newb :p

That’s really cool!

You know, his absence from the pic reminded me (please don’t think that I get upset at this, it’s not a deal, I swear, DQIX is my least favorite from the main series lol) that Male Celestrian seems to be the 2nd shortest protagonist in the series. However, in more recent showings, they depict him as being thin and tall, probably around Solo’s height.

D

Deleted member

Just got reminded of this song:
It's nostalgic as I pretty much never knew how to play Dragon Warrior when I was a kid and never got past the first screen in the game. I hope if we get Erdrick we can get some cool tunes just like this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Just got reminded of this song:
It's nostalgic as I pretty much never knew how to play Dragon Warrior when I was a kid and never got past the first screen in the game. I hope if we get Erdrick we can get some cool tunes just like this one.
I'm hoping once Erdrick/Luminary gets in, we not only get the songs in full orchestra, but we get remixes too.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Something I have been wondering about lately..... If we were to get a DQ character in Smash that wasn't Erdrick or the Luminary, who do you think it would be then?
Madason's always been my personal #1. Yangus is close behind, though he'd also be prime AT material. I want to believe that Ricky Grover's voice would be enough to sell people on Dragon Quest.

I think the mathematically ideal candidate is actually Jessica. Out of the set of popular characters who get to be in all the crossover games, she's the one who's most recognizable globally since she's from DQVIII. She's a full-on mage, which offers some unique moveset possibilities. She's got an appealing design and an upbeat attitude that represents the tone of the series pretty well, unlike a Terry or Jade (...or Madason, oops). Shame the Belmonts got to whips first, though Castlevania definitely deserved dibs on that.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was thinking about if ever Luminary would get a female counterpart, and wondering how hard it would be to superimpose the model in DQ11, and if a team would be smart they'd be able to maybe do it, but i know that it would still need enough fine-tuning and voice acting itself can take a little, so even though I wouldn't think it's likely or anything, I'd be open to something like that :p

Though I'm still wondering also if they might add some new characters, and there could be some new roles. I dont know how much more stuff there actually could be to the game, but it's still one thing i'd be stoked to see as some e3 news. I know there'll probably be a decent amount of FF, and that's great too, I'm just on the lookout for any dragon quest news too.

SE could also just come out with some great new titles too, who knows. :)

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Something I have been wondering about lately..... If we were to get a DQ character in Smash that wasn't Erdrick or the Luminary, who do you think it would be then?
Well I like Eight, Descendant (the original over the Kenshin blonde version) and Solo/Sofia equally. Honestly, I like them all, but Auster only slightly less.

But I’d take any DQ character as long as we get one.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If neither Erdrick or the Luminary are the representatives then realistically it's gonna be Slime. If Slime isn't chosen however then I'm going with Madason and Eight. Though that's my bias speaking since 5 and 8 are the only other Dragon Quest games I have besides 3 and 11.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
If neither Erdrick or the Luminary are the representatives then realistically it's gonna be Slime. If Slime isn't chosen however then I'm going with Madason and Eight. Though that's my bias speaking since 5 and 8 are the only other Dragon Quest games I have besides 3 and 11.
The best in the franchise anyways rofl.

I was thinking about if ever Luminary would get a female counterpart, and wondering how hard it would be to superimpose the model in DQ11, and if a team would be smart they'd be able to maybe do it, but i know that it would still need enough fine-tuning and voice acting itself can take a little, so even though I wouldn't think it's likely or anything, I'd be open to something like that :p

Though I'm still wondering also if they might add some new characters, and there could be some new roles. I dont know how much more stuff there actually could be to the game, but it's still one thing i'd be stoked to see as some e3 news. I know there'll probably be a decent amount of FF, and that's great too, I'm just on the lookout for any dragon quest news too.

SE could also just come out with some great new titles too, who knows. :)
A female Luminary is honestly a feature I'd love personally. It would be a nice surprise, plus it would make the customization all the more engaging and interesting. Actually for DQ12, since we got a story heavy DQ already, we could have DQ12 be more like 3 where it's a lot more exploration based (story is still good by the way, I still want it there, just don't make it non-existent lol)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The best in the franchise anyways rofl.

A female Luminary is honestly a feature I'd love personally. It would be a nice surprise, plus it would make the customization all the more engaging and interesting. Actually for DQ12, since we got a story heavy DQ already, we could have DQ12 be more like 3 where it's a lot more exploration based (story is still good by the way, I still want it there, just don't make it non-existent lol)
I like that tbh.
Going back to gender select at least would be nice. I don’t think gender matters to any of the Plots in DQ. Unless they made it pretty dang clear throughout the text bubbles that the hero is a guy. As that would be more work. DQ3 and 4 manage to leave it vague while still telling a good story.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I like that tbh.
Going back to gender select at least would be nice. I don’t think gender matters to any of the Plots in DQ. Unless they made it pretty dang clear throughout the text bubbles that the hero is a guy. As that would be more work. DQ3 and 4 manage to leave it vague while still telling a good story.
Changing text is nothing, it's having to redo a lot of cutscnes or key stuff if they would need do. DQ11 has a bit more going, so I dont know how much work it would take.

I also had the idea that it would be cool, if nothing like that happens, for dq12 to have a female protagonist. I think it'd be a nice change of pace (especially if they can't do both). And speaking of changing pace, I'd really enjoy a new 3d game like it to have a class system again. 8 didnt have one, 9 had one, 11 didnt have one, and now hopefully 12 could have one :p

Anyway, those are just my personal hopes. It'll be what it'll be, and in the meantime there's going to be a few things to play :)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Aaaaaand I'm done!
Took a while but it's here.

Erdrick Moveset jpg.jpg

(Figured since it's been a while since I last drew by hand, I wasn't going to enjoy doing it, since well... I suck at it again, but I do like fiddling around with pixels, so here it is).

Hope you all like it!

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Aaaaaand I'm done!

View attachment 225788

(Figured since it's been a while since I last drew by hand, I wasn't going to enjoy doing it, since well... I suck at it again, but I do like fiddling around with pixels, so here it is).

Hope you all like it!
Holy moly this is great. Made me want to play Erdrick right now.

Also that Zoma alt is just amazing.

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
Warned for trolling
Aaaaaand I'm done!

View attachment 225788

Hope you all like it!

Lame. There are far more interesting and deserving characters than this nobody. And this is too unique a moveset for Sakurai.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Aaaaaand I'm done!

View attachment 225788

Hope you all like it!
Whoa! I like what I'm seeing! I need to look at it more carefully but hey good job!!

fast comments on things, i really like miracle slash and the dash attack. I think the monster summoning based on rarity is too luck based, altho if they're not necessarily more powerful but just different things then it doesnt matter too much. Also, I think a slight difference between the hair for the alts could depict the female alt. (s'ok if you didn't want to think about which would be her alts tho) I'm glad to see her icon there tho. Sap doing 1/2 weight seems a bit too good haha. but im glad to see it there.
Lots of item variety, which is definitely interesting to see. (even if super unique, lol.)

Ok im gonna take a look at everything. I didnt expect another drawn moveset so this is really cool :)

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Holy moly this is great. Made me want to play Erdrick right now.

Also that Zoma alt is just amazing.
Thanks! Think you can recognize all alts? :D

Whoa! I like what I'm seeing! I need to look at it more carefully but hey good job!!

fast comments on things, i really like miracle slash and the dash attack. I think the monster summoning based on rarity is too luck based, altho if they're not necessarily more powerful but just different things then it doesnt matter too much. Also, I think a slight difference between the hair for the alts could depict the female alt. I'm glad to see her icon there tho. Sap doing 1/2 weight seems a bit too good haha. but im glad to see it there.
Lots of item variety, which is definitely interesting to see. (even if super unique, lol.)

Ok im gonna take a look at everything. I didnt expect another drawn moveset so this is really cool :)
Thank you!
I actually had thought about you being able to control which monster you could summon (the deeper you inhaled before whistling, the stronger the monster)... But I thought it would be TOO MUCH on top of every magic spell already at his disposal. So summoning a random monster gives you a sense of what it's like with random encounters and.. well... the whistle technique.
Also, it's a no MP consuming distance attack, with a slight risk (Rockbomb!). Plus... luck is after all part of DQ! Especially when having to deal with monsters, lol.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Thanks! Think you can recognize all alts? :D

Thank you!
I actually had thought about you being able to control which monster you could summon (the deeper you inhaled before whistling, the stronger the monster)... But I thought it would be TOO MUCH on top of every magic spell already at his disposal. So summoning a random monster gives you a sense of what it's like with random encounters and.. well... the whistle technique.
Also, it's a no MP consuming distance attack, with a slight risk (Rockbomb!). Plus... luck is after all part of DQ! Especially when having to deal with monsters, lol.
Aight. Well for a moveset it's a fun one ;)

I'm sure you know i like pixel art so i really like the style of this :p and it's a nice size overall.
did we talk about helm splitter? because I also thought it could work for down air heh. I like a lot of the moves. The only one im not sure about is toxic dagger for f-air, but it's still interesting to see. I like mercurial thrust, even if i wouldnt have thought it for back air.

I definitely think sap is overpowered in there right now haha, but other than that everything else can make sense. Well, fizzle seems very expensive in mp, but if it's something that stays on erdrick for a little bit then that might work. zap might be too expensive for an attack that could easily be avoided. (unless it tracks like someone mentioned) Tether grabs arent the greatest, but at least we can see the whip.

It's all fun to see :)
I like the idea of the magic menu selection and you have all those spells to easily go to. It's a lot, but you showcase quite a few spells so that's great.
The normal attacks seem fine. And the smash attacks.. it's funny seeing the lucas sprite there haha.

Thanks for making it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Aaaaaand I'm done!

View attachment 225788

Hope you all like it!
This is amazing, I really hope we can see something similar to this ingame.
The only change I would make though is to have Sap only reduce 1/4 of weight and cost more MP, for the sake of balance.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
Aaaaaand I'm done!

View attachment 225788

Hope you all like it!
Holy crap.
The pixel art here is super nice! I assume the Erdrick sprites are original.
I notice there's a lot more sword attacks in his normals this time around. That does make it a little more consistent, but Morning Star and Helm Split are still super unique moves, so I'm glad they stuck around.
Whistle is a super clever way to implement monster summoning mechanics into his moveset, by the way. Well done.
This is amazing, I really hope we can see something similar to this ingame.
The only change I would make though is to have Sap only reduce 1/4 of weight and cost more MP, for the sake of balance.
I think the reason the weight reduction sticks out as much as it does is that the weight stat is notated by a number, which only varies from about 60 to 130. So, using it on Mario would make him as lighter than Pichu. I think it'd make more sense if it described how many weight points it took away instead. Say, 15 or 20.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So Verge has been defending himself a little bit in his recent posts, and while it's not all important or anything, he does say again that he's confident in erdrick. It kind of reminds me of how he was with incineroar/ken near december or november.

"As for how I know? Well... It's Erdrick. That's all you need to know. I cannot nor want to get into details as to how I know but trusted sources are trusted sources and I'm not the only one who knows at this point. [...] "

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77758068?jumpto=196#196

note: gamefaqs is not a pleasant place, lol.

Last edited:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
So Verge has been defending himself a little bit in his recent posts, and while it's not all important or anything, he does say again that he's confident in erdrick. It kind of reminds me of how he was with incineroar/ken near december or november.

"As for how I know? Well... It's Erdrick. That's all you need to know. I cannot nor want to get into details as to how I know but trusted sources are trusted sources and I'm not the only one who knows at this point. [...] "

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77758068?jumpto=196#196

note: gamefaqs is not a pleasant place, lol.
That Mizumi defense makes my blood boil. I'm not usually a fan of Vergeben's attitude, as justified as it is, but I'm glad he told them off.

That said, it looks like Erdrick is in a similar position that Incineroar was during the Grinch leak, which is good for us.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Alright here's a bit of speculation on my part, about erdrick's design and moveset.

I've kind of gone back towards the idea of them being a chibi version. Some of it because of what i've seen talked around and also thinking about movesets. Sakurai himself talked a little about how piranha plant was a good change of pace from sword and punch-kick characters, and i think this could've been around the time that he'd started thinking about (if they're in) erdrick's design and moveset.

Sakurai said that DQ3 was his favorite dragon quest, and that means he's also played other ones. I'm sure that he has a good grasp on the series and the character. In the new designs, erdrick's seen more as a tall swordsman, but the original ones was different and lots of weapons were part of the character. If sakurai didn't want a character to be the same as some others, I do think he could choose to put more weapons in the moveset, and even pick a different design (than modern), because we only have toon/young link and metaknight as shorter sword users

Not only that but the older chibi design has more personality in the art that came along. Not to say it'd be hard to make as much for a tall versoin. I'm just saying there's source material already there. And sakurai has a bit of a thing for retro versions sometimes, like using classic megaman and the older castlevania characters. It could make sense to use that older design to delineate it from the later ones and give it some uniqueness that might even strike a chord with japan's nostalgia for the character.

I probably prefer the taller versions, but I'm just saying it's possible (and would explain the height stat, even if it can super easily change.).
If it's the case, I'm super curious about how he'd imagine the character, probably very cartoony and having an interesting arsenal :). And how he'd end up making the female design.

So, take it as you will, but I know im now closer to 50/50 on which design he'd use. It could also be a totally new redesign, i wouldnt mind that at all.
Wondering if some others think it'd make sense.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Alright here's a bit of speculation on my part, about erdrick's design and moveset.

I've kind of gone back towards the idea of them being a chibi version. Some of it because of what i've seen talked around and also thinking about movesets. Sakurai himself talked a little about how piranha plant was a good change of pace from sword and punch-kick characters, and i think this could've been around the time that he'd started thinking about (if they're in) erdrick's design and moveset.

Sakurai said that DQ3 was his favorite dragon quest, and that means he's also played other ones. I'm sure that he has a good grasp on the series and the character. In the new designs, erdrick's seen more as a tall swordsman, but the original ones was different and lots of weapons were part of the character. If sakurai didn't want a character to be the same as some others, I do think he could choose to put more weapons in the moveset, and even pick a different design (than modern), because we only have toon/young link and metaknight as shorter sword users

Not only that but the older chibi design has more personality in the art that came along. Not to say it'd be hard to make as much for a tall versoin. I'm just saying there's source material already there. And sakurai has a bit of a thing for retro versions sometimes, like using classic megaman and the older castlevania characters. It could make sense to use that older design to delineate it from the later ones and give it some uniqueness that might even strike a chord with japan's nostalgia for the character.

I probably prefer the taller versions, but I'm just saying it's possible (and would explain the height stat, even if it can super easily change.).
If it's the case, I'm super curious about how he'd imagine the character, probably very cartoony and having an interesting arsenal :). And how he'd end up making the female design.

So, take it as you will, but I know im now closer to 50/50 on which design he'd use. It could also be a totally new redesign, i wouldnt mind that at all.
Wondering if some others think it'd make sense.
I mean I dont really mind which Erdrick design we get. I love all of them rofl.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Me neither. :) It just kind of occurred to me that most of the time ive been thinking about something closer to the modern design, like a lot of people, but now im really reconsidering that. I'm glad we're ok with whichever design :D
I'm also ok even if it'd mostly just sword based, but there's definitely a chance to make them very unique too in any case.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Me neither! I think it’s thanks to that 3D render from a while back that Chibi Erdrick grew on me instantly. But I like all 3 versions equally.

Alright, let me try.

1 - SNES Colors
2 - Modern / Battle Road Colors
3 - Oof this one feels familiar, is it based on some manual art or something?
4 - NES Colors
5 - King of Romaly outfit?
6- Ortega for sure. But make it pale and it becomes the GBC Hero Sprite.
7 - Baramos?
8 - Zoma
Excellent! You got them all!

Holy crap.
The pixel art here is super nice! I assume the Erdrick sprites are original.
I notice there's a lot more sword attacks in his normals this time around. That does make it a little more consistent, but Morning Star and Helm Split are still super unique moves, so I'm glad they stuck around.
Whistle is a super clever way to implement monster summoning mechanics into his moveset, by the way. Well done.

I think the reason the weight reduction sticks out as much as it does is that the weight stat is notated by a number, which only varies from about 60 to 130. So, using it on Mario would make him as lighter than Pichu. I think it'd make more sense if it described how many weight points it took away instead. Say, 15 or 20.
Thank you!
It’s actually a customized sprite sheet made by me, using a DBZ rpg snes game as base. Had to pull a Dr.Frankenstein there but I’m happy with the result.

Ah I see. Well I don’t want to have to go back to that sheet, so... let’s say you have to be very precise when casting it. XD

This might as well be the last illustrated moveset I ever do, which is why I went almost all out.
I wish I had done a female line of costumes though.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Me neither. :) It just kind of occurred to me that most of the time ive been thinking about something closer to the modern design, like a lot of people, but now im really reconsidering that. I'm glad we're ok with whichever design :D
I'm also ok even if it'd mostly just sword based, but there's definitely a chance to make them very unique too in any case.
It's also very possible that the design will be a composite.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Me neither! I think it’s thanks to that 3D render from a while back that Chibi Erdrick grew on me instantly. But I like all 3 versions equally.

Excellent! You got them all!

Thank you!
It’s actually a customized sprite sheet made by me, using a DBZ rpg snes game as base. Had to pull a Dr.Frankenstein there but I’m happy with the result.

Ah I see. Well I don’t want to have to go back to that sheet, so... let’s say you have to be very precise when casting it. XD

This might as well be the last illustrated moveset I ever do, which is why I went almost all out.
I wish I had done a female line of costumes though.
Let me know if you plan to tweek it at all for a few things (like sap or anything). Once you're sure about it being done i'll add it to the movesets :)

All in all I'm pretty impressed by the talent on this thread. All I could do is probably stick figures if i'd make multiple moves haha. But really im pretty satisfied that we have a good sword-based one and then yours which is a multi-weapon one. Not to mention finally seeing a monster summoning mechanic. I'm pretty glad it's there :)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Let me know if you plan to tweek it at all for a few things (like sap or anything). Once you're sure about it being done i'll add it to the movesets :)

All in all I'm pretty impressed by the talent on this thread. All I could do is probably stick figures if i'd make multiple moves haha. But really im pretty satisfied that we have a good sword-based one and then yours which is a multi-weapon one. Not to mention finally seeing a monster summoning mechanic. I'm pretty glad it's there :)
I had a monster mechanic too you jerk :p

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I know it’s sorta an unpopular opinion, but I honestly would be disappointed if they went with the chibi design. Mostly because Dragon Quest hasn’t really used chibi designs for the mainline games in over 30 years, and for Western fans like myself who got into the series through the later 3D titles (VIII and XI), I would feel a pretty big disconnect from seeing this “Kid Goku cosplayer” that was only seen and used in early Japanese promotional materials. And also because it would almost assuredly mean no alt for Female Erdrick (the design is intentionally androgynous, remember that they shared the same sprite in the Famicom original).

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I know it’s sorta an unpopular opinion, but I honestly would be disappointed if they went with the chibi design. Mostly because Dragon Quest hasn’t really used chibi designs for the mainline games in over 30 years, and for Western fans like myself who got into the series through the later 3D titles (VIII and XI), I would feel a pretty big disconnect from seeing this “Kid Goku cosplayer” that was only seen and used in early Japanese promotional materials. And also because it would almost assuredly mean no alt for Female Erdrick (the design is intentionally androgynous, remember that they shared the same sprite in the Famicom original).
Completely understandable. If I had a preference I'd prefer adult Erdrick too. But I'd accept whatever we can get personally.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I had a monster mechanic too you jerk :p
I meant more fine-tuned drawn movesets ;)
I had a multi-weapon one too, and i really like that we made them. it's just super cool to see them visually and with charm.

Oh no I would definitely expect sakurai to make a new chibi female alt, no doubt, whether new or a spin on the nes and gbc versions.
But it's still a point that most people would be used to the more modern one. 90% of the fan art i see uses a tall one, so yeah, and i think there's definitely strong chances for one. I just think sakurai could do the less expected too ;p

Last edited:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't say it's entirely impossible for Chibi Erdrick to come with female Erdrick. There's a few official chibi female Erdricks out there. If not, they could just come up with a new design, taking elements from her SNES design.

I get what you mean about the older-looking design, though. Your introduction to DQ was through those designs, so I understand why you'd be impartial to the more adult-like proportions. Speaking personally, NES Erdrick was how the character was introduced to me (through videos talking about him, not through playing the game), so that's what I prefer.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wouldn't say it's entirely impossible for Chibi Erdrick to come with female Erdrick. There's a few official chibi female Erdricks out there. If not, they could just come up with a new design, taking elements from her SNES design.

I get what you mean about the older-looking design, though. Your introduction to DQ was through those designs, so I understand why you'd be impartial to the more adult-like proportions. Speaking personally, NES Erdrick was how the character was introduced to me (through videos talking about him, not through playing the game), so that's what I prefer.
Also, AustarusIV AustarusIV , just to bring up something, it's interesting to note that the nes version sold more than any other version combined. The sales were around 4 million, when the snes version didn't even break 2 mil. So a lot of Japanese people would still easily recognize the chibi version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom