• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Did you know something we don't know? XD
I know that people tend to get ahead of themselves, lol.

but I do like the idea of 1 dlc for july and then one for a bit later. 2 character reveals at e3 doesn't feel impossible, so i'm definitely open to it :)

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I know that people tend to get ahead of themselves, lol.

I really do like the idea of 1 dlc for july and then one for a bit later. 2 character reveals at e3 doesn't feel impossible, so i'm definitely open to it :)
I was just kidding. But indeed.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Im aware patterns don't exist, but we've always had 2 reveals for E3.
If count Pac-Man, there was 3 at E3 at one point...I have feel hope that we will see a dual reveal.
Banjo + Erdrick is amazing thematically, the greatest of the West and the East.

However I am fully prepared to be let down if we only get one, I doubt Ninty would want to put too much focus on Smash.
However a pipe dream is: Erdrick revealed during the Shonen Jump thing for Squares E3, and Banjo is shown for Nintendo E3.
Won't happen like that, seems nice though. It would give both characters a lot of attention in their respected countries.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
There's only one thing that leaves me scratching my head about Erdrick, would he have an english voice or would he be japanese speaking only?

D

Deleted member

There's only one thing that leaves me scratching my head about Erdrick, would he have an english voice or would he be japanese speaking only?
He would be completely mute, maybe aside from a couple of grunts like Link. DQ protagonists are always silent protagonists.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Grunts, silent protag hype.
The VA doing the grunts would probably be Japanese however.

PhaseDistorter

Smash Rookie
Marth's Japanese VA played him in an audio CD once, so it would be funny if they got him to reprise that role in Ultimate. (Probably not for the younger-looking Famicom design though, the older looking Erdrick maybe)

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I actually don't think an English VA is totally out of the question, even if it's just for grunts and yells. It's not that hard to tell where a VA's from just from that, and SE or Nintendo could be justifiably nervous that people might interpret DQ as a weird Japanese-only thing if they don't make it completely obvious that it isn't. It would only be as hard as pulling Additional Voices aside for a couple of minutes during recording for XI S, theoretically.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Thing is Smash isn't a union video game, meaning just about anyone SE choices to voice Erdrick (Im assuming SE would choice, they own the character) most likely won't be able to do it. Its apart of the reason Steve Burton couldn't do Cloud in Ult. There's rumors that Nintendo wanted to pic another non-union VA to voice him instead, but Square said no.

Granted, I the voice acting in Dragon Quest games really arent from anyone too big name...and its still that good.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Im aware patterns don't exist, but we've always had 2 reveals for E3.
If count Pac-Man, there was 3 at E3 at one point...I have feel hope that we will see a dual reveal.
Banjo + Erdrick is amazing thematically, the greatest of the West and the East.

However I am fully prepared to be let down if we only get one, I doubt Ninty would want to put too much focus on Smash.
However a pipe dream is: Erdrick revealed during the Shonen Jump thing for Squares E3, and Banjo is shown for Nintendo E3.
Won't happen like that, seems nice though. It would give both characters a lot of attention in their respected countries.
No I hope it happens at e3 because that would help hype for both characters. It's ok however they do it though, I just want them in the game, but I do think it'd be really cool to see at e3. I dont care if a few people only focus on banjo, because a lot of people will be intrigued by both, especially since a lot dont follow this scene and will be able to take it with fresher eyes, including dragon quest fans or people who at least know about it. Well that's my hopes. Who knows how it'sll go :)

The next dreams, are for erdrick to show up and have some alt heroes or something more than just the basics. I'm ok if there isn't, but any of it would be very cool to see :D

Since microsoft is sooner than SE, I wonder if we'd get a reveal there first, or if it'd be all during nintendo's time.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I actually don't think an English VA is totally out of the question, even if it's just for grunts and yells. It's not that hard to tell where a VA's from just from that, and SE or Nintendo could be justifiably nervous that people might interpret DQ as a weird Japanese-only thing if they don't make it completely obvious that it isn't. It would only be as hard as pulling Additional Voices aside for a couple of minutes during recording for XI S, theoretically.
I wouldn't day it's all that likely for someone to theoretically dub the grunts. Little Mac was voiced by Matt Harty in Punch Out!! for the Wii, but in Smash he still has a Japanese VA.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
So I got Wolf Sif, Ultraman Style three minutes Kaijuu battle, overworld encounters and exploration, overworld multiplay with a 4 player coop mode and a armored crow. I'm pleased.
Decided to spoil tag my post, as I remember that must be really early to some people in the board, so probably some of you didn't saw the Direct yet.

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon Swoosh looks so uninteresting to me. I can't believe it, but it seems that after twenty years of being very much into Pokemon I am now fully out of it.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
So uh, interesting news regarding a certain leak and Smash:
Putting it in a spoiler because, a lot of people hate leaks.

Posted onto /vp/ around 2 hours before the direct started. Source: https://archive.nyafuu.org/vp/thread/38781613/#q38785249
The information came from Sabi's Discord, apparently. Some of the stuff here, like the thing about Scorbunny, sound like total jokes mixed in with real info. I wouldn't put too much weight into it.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Posted onto /vp/ around 2 hours before the direct started. Source: https://archive.nyafuu.org/vp/thread/38781613/#q38785249
Not going to hold my breath, but man, that is my personal best case scenario.
I love the idea of Doomguy in Smash and I hope it comes true.

Funny note, I’ve seen many Erdrick supporters wanting Doomguy in Smash on social media.

TBH it makes sense to me. Erdrick, grandfather of jrpgs, extremely popular in the east. And Doomguy, grandfather of fps, extremely popular in the west.

Crossing my fingers.

That said, it looks like that bit came out of nowhere. And it combines leaks from things about to be revealed and more likely to be correct, with things that are yet to come.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think the most likely scenario is a guy who had real info tacking on other stuff to **** with people. But it's not impossible for this to be true either, and man I REALLY hope that it is true.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, uh, the banjo thread is blowing up. So many banjo fans are reaalllyy getting into the latest supposed leak, it's pretty crazy.
I'm concerned that they're getting ahead of themselves and could end up super disappointed, with how they are. There's nothing wrong with getting some hope and everything, but even push dustin is like some skepticism is healthy. (which of course makes sense)

Well anyway, at least people are hype :p

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well, uh, the banjo thread is blowing up. So many banjo fans are reaalllyy getting into the latest supposed leak, it's pretty crazy.
I'm concerned that they're getting ahead of themselves and could end up super disappointed, with how they are. There's nothing wrong with getting some hope and everything, but even push dustin is like some skepticism is healthy. (which of course makes sense)

Well anyway, at least people are hype :p
I'm kind of disgusted at them tbh. So much Erdrick hate in that thread, and for what reason? Half of them are hating on Erdrick DESPITE believing their character is all but confirmed. I mean, who does this?
If you know or believe your character is already in the game, why throw shade at another?}

I don't particularly care for Banjo, but I'm starting to feel like I'd be GLAD if he's not in. And I don't like hating on other characters or their fans, but... their hate is unjustified. Why does anyone really care about how crowds react anyway, let alone, as a gauge to measure if a character is worthy or not of being included in a game?

I thought I'd stop by their thread just to see if they were happy about the supposed leaks. And half of what I read is Erdrick hate. I didn't really expect anything, but I'm pretty disappointed. Is this the true nature of the Smash fanbase? It wasn't always like this, and I've been here for a while.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm kind of disgusted at them tbh. So much Erdrick hate in that thread, and for what reason? Half of them are hating on Erdrick DESPITE believing their character is all but confirmed. I mean, who does this?
If you know or believe your character is already in the game, why throw shade at another?}

I don't particularly care for Banjo, but I'm starting to feel like I'd be GLAD if he's not in. And I don't like hating on other characters or their fans, but... their hate is unjustified. Why does anyone really care about how crowds react anyway, let alone, as a gauge to measure if a character is worthy or not of being included in a game?

I thought I'd stop by their thread just to see if they were happy about the supposed leaks. And half of what I read is Erdrick hate. I didn't really expect anything, but I'm pretty disappointed. Is this the true nature of the Smash fanbase? It wasn't always like this, and I've been here for a while.
At least JD is in the thread and likes both erdrick and banjo, so maybe they'll soften a bit.

I dont think they're going in with the greatest attitude, but they've also had a different time than we hav and maybe dont realize everything they're doing. Nothing much we can do though. Might as well focus on our own enjoyment of the event ;)

Sorry it's gotten to you, but remember the good stuff :)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
At least JD is in the thread and likes both erdrick and banjo, so maybe they'll soften a bit.

I dont think they're going in with the greatest attitude, but they've also had a different time than we hav and maybe dont realize everything they're doing. Nothing much we can do though. Might as well focus on our own enjoyment of the event ;)

Sorry it's gotten to you, but remember the good stuff :)
I know we have some Banjo supporters right here, and of course I wouldn’t lump them with the rest. This is one of the reasons why I don’t like hating on other characters. There’s always a fellow supporter that likes said character. As is the case with Banjo, Geno, Sora, Master a Chief, etc.

I need a break from smash rumors in general. I should have known things would start to heat up the closer we get to E3. :s

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I know we have some Banjo supporters right here, and of course I wouldn’t lump them with the rest. This is one of the reasons why I don’t like hating on other characters. There’s always a fellow supporter that likes said character. As is the case with Banjo, Geno, Sora, Master a Chief, etc.

I need a break from smash rumors in general. I should have known things would start to heat up the closer we get to E3. :s
Yup, im gonna be a tad less active on the forums until e3. at least a bit.

Btw, were you going to tweek your moveset image, or is it done? I'll put it in the movesets if youre not going to update it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, I do support Banjo since he is a pick I honestly find fitting for Smash. Although I don't want him as much as a Dragon Quest rep.

However, I do have to say that the people at the Banjo thread don't seem to have any problem with me when I mention how much I would love to see both him and a Dragon Quest rep at E3.

Maybe I am better at making people find me cool than I tend to imagine.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, I do support Banjo since he is a pick I honestly find fitting for Smash. Although I don't want him as much as a Dragon Quest rep.

However, I do have to say that the people at the Banjo thread don't seem to have any problem with me when I mention how much I would love to see both him and a Dragon Quest rep at E3.

Maybe I am better at making people find me cool than I tend to imagine.
Heh, I think it's because you're a banjo supporter and a SE rep isn't competition with banjo. That doesnt stop some of them from being mean about other characters sometimes tho.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

That's why it's important we don't act like them. We are much better then that

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That's why it's important we don't act like them. We are much better then that
Well I dont think it's good to say being better than others XD
But just follow what you think is right :)

I do find that things are looking pretty good but i'm not as interested to speculate too much for the next week. I feel like things are in an alright place and now i want to build up towards e3 without as much chatter and weird points being made, so if im less active you'll know why. But i'll still be at least a little bit on this thread every day. Just less in general.

Last edited:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
The fact that this E3 might end up being the most controversial E3 in a while is scary.
I've never played a Banjo game, so I don't really have an opinion of if he should or shouldn't be in, I do think he deserves it, but I wouldn't care if he didn't make. However I do want his fans to be happy. Now onto Erdrick, well. Not gonna lie, despite being a huge Dragon Quest fan I really didnt think he had a chance so I never wanted him in Smash, but seeing as he actually has a chance now, I want him. (Does this make me a band-wagoner?) If he doesn't get in, I won't be disappointed, however I really want him in because there's no way DQ fans are gonna hear the end of it. Unfair considering we did nothing wrong. He if does get in, he'll probably be treated like Corrin by most of the community....

The suspense is killing me, honestly I just want the games to get localized faster :^) Smash would help that, so its a win win

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The fact that this E3 might end up being the most controversial E3 in a while is scary.
I've never played a Banjo game, so I don't really have an opinion of if he should or shouldn't be in, I do think he deserves it, but I wouldn't care if he didn't make. However I do want his fans to be happy. Now onto Erdrick, well. Not gonna lie, despite being a huge Dragon Quest fan I really didnt think he had a chance so I never wanted him in Smash, but seeing as he actually has a chance now, I want him. (Does this make me a band-wagoner?) If he doesn't get in, I won't be disappointed, however I really want him in because there's no way DQ fans are gonna hear the end of it. Unfair considering we did nothing wrong. He if does get in, he'll probably be treated like Corrin by most of the community....

The suspense is killing me, honestly I just want the games to get localized faster :^) Smash would help that, so its a win win
It'll be fine ;)

I think :)

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Well I dont think it's good to say being better than others XD
But just follow what you think is right :)

I do find that things are looking pretty good but i'm not as interested to speculate too much for the next week. I feel like things are in an alright place and now i want to build up towards e3 without as much chatter and weird points being made, so if im less active you'll know why. But i'll still be at least a little bit on this thread every day. Just less in general.
Yeah. The first conference is in like 3 days. So let's see how that goes.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah. The first conference is in like 3 days. So let's see how that goes.
I think those are just the tournaments aren't they?
I guess there could be announcements there too tho. Also actually better look at the schedule to again.

nvm looks like there's plenty of stuff from ea on the 8th, lol:

9:15 PT / 12:15 ET / 17:15 BST: Countdown to EA PLAY
9:30 PT / 12:30 ET / 17:30 BST: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
10:00 PT / 13:00 ET / 18:00 BST: Apex Legends
10:30 PT / 13:30 ET / 18:30 BST: Battlefield V
11:00 PT / 14:00 ET / 19:00 BST: FIFA 20
11:30 PT / 14:30 ET / 19:30 BST: Madden NFL 20
12:00 PT / 15:00 ET / 20:00 BST: The Sims 4

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I think those are just the tournaments aren't they?
I guess there could be announcements there too tho. Also actually better look at the schedule to again.

nvm looks like there's plenty of stuff from ea on the 8th, lol:

9:15 PT / 12:15 ET / 17:15 BST: Countdown to EA PLAY
9:30 PT / 12:30 ET / 17:30 BST: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
10:00 PT / 13:00 ET / 18:00 BST: Apex Legends
10:30 PT / 13:30 ET / 18:30 BST: Battlefield V
11:00 PT / 14:00 ET / 19:00 BST: FIFA 20
11:30 PT / 14:30 ET / 19:30 BST: Madden NFL 20
12:00 PT / 15:00 ET / 20:00 BST: The Sims 4
Kind of glad I'm missing this. I don't care about EA.

Also:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Kind of glad I'm missing this. I don't care about EA.

Also:

Did you see this super cute gif from that account? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom