• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I was planning on beating Dragon Quest VII before E3 just in case Erdrick was possibly announced there,

and, well, I have 24 hours in my playtime and I've only JUST reached Alltrades Abbey. Yes, I completed all the story stuff right before, so I only JUST underwent my first class change.

it isn't happening lol

As for the Banjo / Erdrick rumors, I think the dual reveal would be nice for both parties, but, as always, we need to remind ourselves that nothing is certain. I want Dragon Quest content in Smash so much but just like some of you are skeptical of Banjo's chances we need to remember that yeah, Erdrick has lots of rumors and reputable leakers behind them but technically nothing is 100% confirmed.

That said, I'm very happy that I haven't really seen anyone in this thread mock or belittle other characters or their supporters. I mean, I HAVE played the first 4 Banjo games (Nuts 'n Bolts being the only one I haven't touched) and I would enjoy Banjo quite a bit, like not anywhere near as much as a Dragon Quest character but enough to feel uncomfortable or even a little hurt infl this thread started to rag on them. So I value this thread's welcoming and tolerant air.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I think based on Verges last interaction on GameFAQs, he could be receiving and searching things that back the double reveal.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
OK, here's a moveset I thought about for weapon/Class changing.

I think that Dragon Quest has tied classes and weapons enough for me to make a moveset that's vague enough about whether it's a class or a just the weapon, since Erdrick is not known to class change. I'll include some class skills along with weapon skills, but they don't have to be part of the moveset, it'll be more like 'if' there's an extra skill that would change on class/weapon change, then I've thought of a few that could work and be interesting.

So, here are the weapon changes and skills i thought could change for the b-moves. Only 1 or 2 moves would change, that being side b and potentially neutral b. I only included a few details about the A attacks. I included more than one weapon in some spaes for ones i think would only have slight differences. (in example knife could have the same attacks as a sword, but with less range. I decided not to include a knife though)

Bear in mind it might still be a bit in conception.

Sword
100px-DQII_Erdricks_Sword.png

Side B: Gigaslash -> Could cost mp (or not), Has big range but might have a bit of startup.
DQXI_07-09-17_005.jpg

Neutral B: Zap or Extra sword/warrior-hero skill -> Zap could be universal to any weapon, or the extra skill could be on holding neutral b longer. Sword could have a hero or warrior skill like double up or a block.

A buttons: All attacks would be sword ones or a few fisticuff moves here and there.

Claws/Fisticuff
100px-DQ3_knuckledusters.png

Side B: Wind Sickles -> This move would cost no mp, and be decently fast projectile, but would have very little or no hitstun, and instead could have a slight hit wind box that can push a little opponents while dealing a bit of damage. or a dashing claw skill.
Neutral B: Zap or Extra claw/fighter skills -> The fighter skill could be psyche up, which would raise tension. I think this would be a very cool way to make use of tension somewhere. Alternatively it could be one of the claw skills that strikes multiple times.

A buttons: Claws would be like an extension of the fisticuff skills. They'd stay equipped when doing normal fisticuff attacks and make them deal a bit more damage, and extra attacks for the rest of the moves. Would be fast attacks that dont have as much range as the other weapons. (claws could have a tad more than fisticuffs alone).

Note: If there are moves that would be punches or kicks anyway, no matter the weapon, they would be more powerful when using fisticuffs (and the other moves would become new melee ones)

Axe/Hammer
100px-DQIII_war_hammer.png
100px-DQIII_Headsmans_Axe.png

Side B: Axes of evil -> This would be a slower but powerful projectile that could travel not as far as the wind sickles, but it'd be a heavy one. If hammer instead, then it could be Heart breaker, which would be a swing that has a chance to stun someone for a little bit.
images.jpg

Neutral B -> Zap or Extra axe-hammer/warrior or paladdin skills -> This could be a chance to another stun like attack from the axe skill 'parallax', that is if there's no hammer. It could also be a chance for some protection, or even heal.

A buttons: The skills that aren't kicks would probably have to be all be the weapon, since this is two-handed for sure. It would be heavy hits that are slower.

Spear (Extra idea)
-This would be for maybe instead of claws or axe.
100px-DQIII_Iron_Spear.png

Side B: I haven't decided on a spear skill yet.
Neutral B: Zap or spear skill, or a class skill from either warrior or paladin, or even priest.

A buttons: Would have the greatest range, but not as good up for up close.

Extra idea#2: Bow.
-I'm putting the idea for a bow moveset, but I think this could be a hard one to do (tho would be very interesting), so I'm not gonna talk about moves it could have for now, but it could still be fun.

The Final Smash would still be Gigagash in any case

Mechanics (Weapon switching)

The Weapon Switching would occur on down b. There'd be a cycle it goes through for tapping b, or holding b for a menu to show up where someone can select which weapon they want to equip.

Someone would be able to switch at any point, making variety and combinations for follow ups possible. It'd be very diverse and interesting to play :)

Up B would be the usual, Zoom or something else, but maybe there could even be some influence based on the weapon equipped, like an extra skill of it at the end of the zoom or if you cancel it by doing something. Just an idea for something possible, else just the regular one.

I might do extra movesets at some points for each weapons A attacks, but this is the more important part of how it works.

Hope you enjoyed :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
Not entirely relevant to Erdrick, but I wanted to share Smashified's latest video. It's a nice translation of Toriyama's art style to Smash.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Fellas, whats the worst/best misspelling and/or mispronunciation or Erdricks name you've seen(heard)?

Nothing tops 2 of my friends calling him Eldritch

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
I once heard some absolute moron pronounce it "Air-drick."

It was me
You're not alone here, don't feel back.
Not exactly 'air', but don't feel dumb over it heh. More accurate than how i hear some Smashtubers say it

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I once heard some absolute moron pronounce it "Air-drick."

It was me
Like half the characters in DQXI pronounce Erdwin and Erdrea like that, so you're in good company. Scots get a free pass, at least.

It's only when Rs start to get left out that there's real trouble.

D

Deleted member

Not entirely relevant to Erdrick, but I wanted to share Smashified's latest video. It's a nice translation of Toriyama's art style to Smash.
Yes! Is Smashified finally gonna do a consistent schedule?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Any comments on the moveset? just curious what people thought about it. I know that it could be quite a bit of work, depending on how many things change, but i still think it'd be fun.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Any comments on the moveset? just curious what people thought about it. I know that it could be quite a bit of work, depending on how many things change, but i still think it'd be fun.
I've always wanted a character who can have different special moves depending on using another special move that was dedicated solely to changing it, i.e. down B changes side B for your case.

The closest thing we currently have is Olimar / Alph, but that changes their smashes, aerials, and side B, whereas your concept would be less drastic and easier to manage.

This is actually how I wanted Shulk to turn out in Smash 4, since unlike the other Xenoblade Chronicles 1 party members he has two sets of Arts, but Sakurai went with an awkward stance system I don't like instead.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I've always wanted a character who can have different special moves depending on using another special move that was dedicated solely to changing it, i.e. down B changes side B for your case.

The closest thing we currently have is Olimar / Alph, but that changes their smashes, aerials, and side B, whereas your concept would be less drastic and easier to manage.

This is actually how I wanted Shulk to turn out in Smash 4, since unlike the other Xenoblade Chronicles 1 party members he has two sets of Arts, but Sakurai went with an awkward stance system I don't like instead.
Im not sure how it would work without changing the A attacks too, but It would be less drastic if there isn't much to change on the A attacks, like if some moves stay the same even when changing weapons (punches and kicks or signature attacks?) I think quite a few could be changed based on the weapon equipped and it wouldn't be much more work than joker maybe.

D

Deleted member

For anyone keeping score, here's the latest word from Verge. Up to you how much that's worth.
Now this is going to be interesting, he's not backing off of MC content but he still maintains no Steve and now he's saying BK is happening almost certainly. What will happen now?

I only hope that this doesn't end up being a mess. I'll probably lay low for a while as don't want more spoilers for E3.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Verge is an enigma to me, I can understand why people don't like him. Im mixed honestly, he has something thing he's gotten wrong, and some things he's been accurate on.

He's backing my boy though..., is Erdrick really is in. If Minecraft Content + Banjo + Erdrick all get in, I really can't deny Verges info as much anymore.
That being said, I want my boy.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
X ****ing D.

Last time I got this much of a kick out of leaks was when Verge dropped Issac as an Assist Trophy. Erdrick's my prize though, I can tolerate Banjo for that.

D

Deleted member

X ****ing D.

Last time I got this much of a kick out of leaks was when Verge dropped Issac as an Assist Trophy. Erdrick's my prize though, I can tolerate Banjo for that.
Nothing much we can do really, at least enjoy seeing them as punching bag.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Nothing much we can do really, at least enjoy seeing them as punching bag.
Nah, not that bad. I have no attachment to the character so it's just a big ass whatever pick for me. Outside of Erdrick, I just enjoy seeing the Smash fanbase lose it's collective **** ( positive or negative. Grinch leak being the exception). This is just the right amount of perfect storm occurrences I need to enjoy seeing this community go crazy.

Last edited:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Last time I got this much of a kick out of leaks was when Verge dropped Issac as an Assist Trophy.
Dont remind me of this, my soul is still hurt-

Erdrick will fill in the void that Isaac left :^I

D

Deleted member

Alright. Now that I got that out of my system, I'm going to go back to thinking Banjo is still impossible. Night y'all.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Dont remind me of this, my soul is still hurt-

Erdrick will fill in the void that Isaac left :^I
At least Isaac and Andy can keep each other company in the GBA dungeon, I guess. Jill from Drill Dozer too.

The whole matter of his actual credibility aside, I have trouble with Verge's DQ leaks because it's exactly the stuff I want. It's almost suspicious. Erdrick in Smash, and ports of the classic games to something better than phones, and Heroes III, with Deb in it and everything? If all that stuff does happen, fate probably owes me a car accident or a stroke or something in return.

I've never played BK just because I'm not into that style of platformer, but I could see it making for a really fun character and stage. It's a bit weird to say as someone backing a Sword Guy as my #1, but I do think platformer mascot animal type characters fit Smash best. It'd be a shame not to have at least one of those in the set of five.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
At least Isaac and Andy can keep each other company in the GBA dungeon, I guess. Jill from Drill Dozer too.

The whole matter of his actual credibility aside, I have trouble with Verge's DQ leaks because it's exactly the stuff I want. It's almost suspicious. Erdrick in Smash, and ports of the classic games to something better than phones, and Heroes III, with Deb in it and everything? If all that stuff does happen, fate probably owes me a car accident or a stroke or something in return.

I've never played BK just because I'm not into that style of platformer, but I could see it making for a really fun character and stage. It's a bit weird to say as someone backing a Sword Guy as my #1, but I do think platformer mascot animal type characters fit Smash best. It'd be a shame not to have at least one of those in the set of five.
I mean, we didn't get the collection when it came to wii, i think it'd be really good to rerelease worldwide.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah that's probably gonna happen.
Actually it's not totally like that, but it's still gross. I saw some spinning it to say that he's lying and just jumping on the wagon.
He clearly said it's coming from one of his trusted sources, and yet some people have to pin the worst case on him. I wouldn't defend him or anything, but that's still pretty ****ty for them to go there first lol.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Just gonna say, the collective Smash community better enjoy Banjo, because I think he's the only pick the Smash fanbase will truly care about.

Yeah that's probably gonna happen.
It already is and it's hilarious.

Actually it's not totally like that, but it's still gross. I saw some spinning it to say that he's lying and just jumping on the wagon.
He clearly said it's coming from one of his trusted sources, and yet people have to pin the worst case on him. I wouldn't defend him or anything, but that's still pretty ****ty for them to go there first lol.
I knew that would happen when I saw him say he'd look into it this morning.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just gonna say, the collective Smash community better enjoy Banjo, because I think he's the only pick the Smash fanbase will truly care about.

It already is and it's hilarious.

I knew that would happen when I saw him say he'd look into it this morning.
Hope the smash community starts changing for the better now that they have picks they cared about since the base game (wishful thinking I know but I hope since I'll probably won't be around for the next cycle)

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I mean, we didn't get the collection when it came to wii, i think it'd be really good to rerelease worldwide.
Even that collection is awfully old. Surely even Japanese fans wouldn't mind another round of ports.

It's such a nuisance trying to recommend the series to anyone with everything all over the place. Even just the first six games on Switch and PC would make a huge difference.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Lots of catching up. Let's see.

On moveset:
I love the concept of weapon switching. And I really like the weapons you chose for this mechanic.
It only gets a bit confusing when fisticuffs behave differently on mostly all of them, but I can tell what you were going for, since fisticuffs should be a "weapon" that every character has available by default.

Axe is my favorite and I look forward to your implenentation of a full bow moveset. :)

On my moveset: I’ll tweak it next week. I’m kind of burned right now lol.

Crono Smashified:
Looks amazing! I think the artists involved es bailes the style pretty well.

On worst pronunciations of Erdrick I’ve ever heard.
One of my best friends thought his name was Erdick. (Ehr-****). I don’t think he realized what that sounds like.

On Verge:
Sweet! I love how he now backs Erdrick 100%! Every time I see him vouching so hard for Erdrick, my confidence goes up a lot.
On his stance on Banjo... eh... good I guess?
Again, impartial to Banjo, with a hint of annoyance due to some... a lot of his fans, but as long as Erdrick’s in, IDC.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I posted it just now in the B-K thread, but it's even more relevant here to say that Tansut, Cloud-leaker and dude around whose statements Erdrick's hopes are largely based, just re-asserted his claim that a DQ rep is coming.

(To be clear, it's at the bottom of the page).

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Even that collection is awfully old. Surely even Japanese fans wouldn't mind another round of ports.

It's such a nuisance trying to recommend the series to anyone with everything all over the place. Even just the first six games on Switch and PC would make a huge difference.
While I'd Looove the collection to be 1-6, like so much. I still expect just 1-3 or to 4. (Later ports.)

The most important i think is getting DQ3 on the switch. I dont count a mobile version as something that should be definitive.
But if it's 1-6 i'd be so stoked XD

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This... is the exact issue I have. It just all seems too good to be true.
But this year has been amazing for us so far. Maybe E3 will have Heroes 3 and modern ports, to keep this train running. At the very least though I have a feeling we'll see Heroes 3 sooner or later, it's been rumored for quite a while now. And please get my man Morrie in there.

I posted it just now in the B-K thread, but it's even more relevant here to say that Tansut, Cloud-leaker and dude around whose statements Erdrick's hopes are largely based, just re-asserted his claim that a DQ rep is coming.

That was smooth as hell, lol

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Word of advice for the future, click the post number for a direct link to the post~

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Thanks for sharing. And yeah if you click the number at the upper right of the post you can get a link directly to it.

Lots of catching up. Let's see.

On moveset:
I love the concept of weapon switching. And I really like the weapons you chose for this mechanic.
It only gets a bit confusing when fisticuffs behave differently on mostly all of them, but I can tell what you were going for, since fisticuffs should be a "weapon" that every character has available by default.

Axe is my favorite and I look forward to your implenentation of a full bow moveset. :)

On my moveset: I’ll tweak it next week. I’m kind of burned right now lol.

Crono Smashified:
Looks amazing! I think the artists involved es bailes the style pretty well.

On worst pronunciations of Erdrick I’ve ever heard.
One of my best friends thought his name was Erdick. (Ehr-****). I don’t think he realized what that sounds like.

On Verge:
Sweet! I love how he now backs Erdrick 100%! Every time I see him vouching so hard for Erdrick, my confidence goes up a lot.
On his stance on Banjo... eh... good I guess?
Again, impartial to Banjo, with a hint of annoyance due to some... a lot of his fans, but as long as Erdrick’s in, IDC.
Great to hear. ;)
I admit that that it's a bit vague on if it's fisticuff or claw, and that's because it could be either one, or both. It would largely be the same moves and animation, just like how axe and hammer are close enough, that it could be essentially the same but with some minor differences. The bigger changes between them (like claw and fisticuff) would be the b skills. hope that makes sense.

And if there's always punch-kick moves on some attacks then they should be more powerful if someone picks fisticuffs. (and add some new ones for the rest)

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Awesome!! Tansut’s back! Although I don’t find his “meh, could be” attitude all that reassuring, at least it’s a point plus.

I do wish more people came forward regarding Erdrick, but I’ll take what I get. E3 wait just got longer.

I wouldn’t mind if he was shadow dropped for the tournament and he gets no trailer. I don’t think DLC characters will get one this time around... although I’m skeptical because I’m sure Nintendo would want to parade DQ content in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom