• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Ok so you're going close to naoyatodo's version for mp regen too.
The one thing i dont like about slowly regenerating is that it could make people play evasive to recharge, but i think it's not as much a problem if there's no speed boosting mechanic. I like all sorts of ideas for mp regen, so long as there is one :p

The elemental slashes (for smashes) are from later games anyway, and that was used by a few people here. I think that if you went with DQ11, Luminary had all sorts of skills that you could use instead too. Since you went with a pep mechanic, that might be worth looking at.

I haven't played the game, but maybe someone could comment on these:
Quadraslash
Flamesplitter
Seasplitter
Skysplitter
Earthsplitter
Blightsplitter
Brightsplitter

I think a sword and shield only moveset would work ok for Luminary being an alt hero (instead of a costume).
if Luminary is going to be an alt then Erdrick should be allowed to use moves from new DQ games, or at-least attacks from DQXI
but uh
the Splitter moves would be some pretty OP Smash attacks haha

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Ok so you're going close to naoyatodo's version for mp regen too.
The one thing i dont like about slowly regenerating is that it could make people play evasive to recharge, but i think it's not as much a problem if there's no speed boosting mechanic. I like all sorts of ideas for mp regen, so long as there is one :p

The elemental slashes (for smashes) are from later games anyway, and that was used by a few people here. I think that if you went with DQ11, Luminary had all sorts of skills that you could use instead too. Since you went with a pep mechanic, that might be worth looking at.

I haven't played the game, but maybe someone could comment on these:
Quadraslash
Flamesplitter
Seasplitter
Skysplitter
Earthsplitter
Blightsplitter
Brightsplitter

I think a sword and shield only moveset would work ok for Luminary being an alt hero (instead of a costume).
The splitter techniques is the Avan Strash that Dai used in Jump Force. Its essentially a charged up blade beam but way more powerful. The Quadraslash is a 4th dimensional giant sword that the Luminary summons from the heavens lol.

Also meme of the day.

image0-9.png

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
if Luminary is going to be an alt then Erdrick should be allowed to use moves from new DQ games, or at-least attacks from DQXI
but uh
the Splitter moves would be some pretty OP Smash attacks haha
Well, they can tone down attacks as much as they want, they've already done that for quite a few characters. And Incineroar's neutral b isn't what i woudl've expected at all for a lariat.

I wanted to bring those up in case any feel good for a smash. That way it could be a bit different too.
Down b could also be something different. I saw there was something about a sword stance in dq11? I wonder how that would work.

If there's one reason I would put only sword and shield with erdrick, it's to be able to have Luminary and Anclucia alts, since they're only known for swords.

My own idea for a sword moveset, which doesnt exist yet, would be to have 2 to 3 moves that arent sword based. This would make it a bit more diverse but still mostly be about the sword, to make it seem ok for other characters too. Like, there could be one axe or hammer attack somewhere, and then 1 or 2 more that's another weapon.

It'd be a bit like how Ness has a bat and yoyo too.

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Jump leak will likely come tomorrow, I hope it isn't just walk but at the same time I don't think it will be smash. Let's see!

Someone tell the JoJo fanbase that part 3 has a DQ reference
Oh? I have only seen part 1 and 2, what is it?

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Well, they can tone down attacks as much as they want, they've already done that for quite a few characters. And Incineroar's neutral b isn't what i woudl've expected at all for a lariat.

I wanted to bring those up in case any feel good for a smash. That way it could be a bit different too.
Down b could also be something different. I saw there was something about a sword stance in dq11? I wonder how that would work.

If there's one reason I would put only sword and shield with erdrick, it's to be able to have Luminary and Anclucia alts, since they're only known for swords.

My own idea for a sword moveset, which doesnt exist yet, would be to have 2 to 3 moves that arent sword based. This would make it a bit more diverse but still mostly be about the sword, to make it seem ok for other characters too. Like, there could be one axe or hammer attack somewhere, and then 1 or 2 more that's another weapon.

It'd be a bit like how Ness has a bat and yoyo too.
Sword stance is essentially a block. It isnt a counter but it blocks all incoming damage.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Any comments on the moveset? just curious what people thought about it. I know that it could be quite a bit of work, depending on how many things change, but i still think it'd be fun.
It's ambitious. Fighting games have done similar stance characters before, where the entire moveset changes based on what you choose, but it's never been in Smash before. Smash is a fair bit more complex in what all is going on onscreen, so it's hard to say if this would be doable.

But, I like the concept in theory and while I don't have DQ experience to say whether it's true to the character, you're a big DQ fan so I can safely assume it is. So I love the uniqueness to the idea and the variability. :)

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Oh? I have only seen part 1 and 2, what is it?
The stand, Death Thirteen, shouts "Lali-ho" this is a reference to the original name of the sleep spell "Snooze" which used to be called "Rarihoo"

Death Thirteen is a stand that is only able to attack people who are sleeping by invading their dreams.

Edit: Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-3i0CFloQU
Also an image of Araki dressed as Solo (and other V-Jump artist) to celebrate the release of Dragon Quest 4.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
The stand, Death Thirteen, shouts "Lali-ho" this is a reference to the original name of the sleep spell "Snooze" which used to be called "Rarihoo"

Death Thirteen is a stand that is only able to attack people who are sleeping by invading their dreams.
I love JOJO

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Anyone thought of the possibility that we could get a Dai alt. costume, akin to Cloud's Advent Children costume? That might be what Shonen Jump reveals tomorrow. Though, IDK enough about the Dai's Great Adventure anime/manga to really say if he can be a costume.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's ambitious. Fighting games have done similar stance characters before, where the entire moveset changes based on what you choose, but it's never been in Smash before. Smash is a fair bit more complex in what all is going on onscreen, so it's hard to say if this would be doable.

But, I like the concept in theory and while I don't have DQ experience to say whether it's true to the character, you're a big DQ fan so I can safely assume it is. So I love the uniqueness to the idea and the variability. :)
aight thx for lookin'. ;)
I think if done right it wouldn't be more effort than what joker has for different hitboxes and all that.

It would work with erdrick, although it wouldn't be canon to the original game to be able to equip claw weapons, that's only martial artists. A lot characters in future games can use fisticuff though, so that one would be totally fine, imo. Erdrick can equip most of the other weapons i mentioned except bows which werent in the older ones, but there's even more weapons possible besides that.

The side-b skills i mentioned come from later games, but dq3 didn't have any weapon skills while the later games do. I think it would make sense for them to be there just because of where the series has been heading and erdrick being able to use gigagash in a spin-off they made. Apart from that, everything would fit to a T.

I dont know what to expect from a moveset sakurai did at this point, but I'm sure it'd be interesting.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Anyone thought of the possibility that we could get a Dai alt. costume, akin to Cloud's Advent Children costume? That might be what Shonen Jump reveals tomorrow. Though, IDK enough about the Dai's Great Adventure anime/manga to really say if he can be a costume.
I'm going to say no. But it would be a fun possibility. If it's just Erdrick, I think Femdrick is the most we can get. Although I'd love a Luminary skin since hes the dream.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I'm going to say no. But it would be a fun possibility. If it's just Erdrick, I think Femdrick is the most we can get. Although I'd love a Luminary skin since hes the dream.
IIRC the first thing that had Tansut thinking that Brave is Erdrick is that they have male and female alts.

If I had to guess, it'll go Male/Female/Male/Female/Male/Female/Luminary/Luminary.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Erdrick alts huh, if I were to choose...

Male/Female/Male Solo Pallet/Female Sofia Pallet/ DQ 1 Hero / DQ 1 Hero/ Luminary / Luminary

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Erdrick alts huh, if I were to choose...

Male/Female/Male Solo Pallet/Female Sofia Pallet/ DQ 1 Hero / DQ 1 Hero/ Luminary / Luminary
I really like the selection, but i think dq1 hero only needs one slot. It would make sense to have it around tho, or at least the armor on erdrick.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
IIRC the first thing that had Tansut thinking that Brave is Erdrick is that they have male and female alts.

If I had to guess, it'll go Male/Female/Male/Female/Male/Female/Luminary/Luminary.
Erdrick
Femdrick
Madason
Sofía
Eight
Celestrian Female
Luminary
Anlucia

I think this would be best case scenario for me if Male/Female alts are included.

Also, I would like the idea of Psaro being in somehow, either an AT or a Boss fight complete with his transmutated form.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Erdrick
Femdrick
Madason
Sofía
Eight
Celestrian Female
Luminary
Anlucia

I think this would be best case scenario for me if Male/Female alts are included.

Also, I would like the idea of Psaro being in somehow, either an AT or a Boss fight complete with his transmutated form.
It would satisfy quite a lot of people. :D That's be one of the best for sure. One of the issues with Madason though is that he's a bit different than the other heroes, and doesn't use zap. I'd love woosh as an extra magic spell tho :)

Last edited:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
I really like the selection, but i think dq1 hero only needs one slot. It would make sense to have it around tho, or at least the armor on erdrick.
Replace one with Anlucia or Armordrick , give Luminary one of his special costumes as an alt.
DQXI Spoilers:
Preferable Erdrwins Outfit

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It would satisfy quite a lot of people. :D That's be one of the best for sure. One of the issues with Madason though is that he's a bit different than the other heroes, and doesn't use zap. I'd love woosh as a magic spell tho :)
Hmmm you’re right... in that case I wouldn’t be able to replace him with DQ1 Hero either since Zap wasn’t around back then. Rek could be a good replacement then. :D

Imagine if we had these multiple Hero alts, and now imagine if each alt had each hero call on their friends for the final smash.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hmmm you’re right... in that case I wouldn’t be able to replace him with DQ1 Hero either since Zap wasn’t around back then. Rek could be a good replacement then. :D

Imagine if we had these multiple Hero alts, and now imagine if each alt had each hero call on their friends for the final smash.
If we get any hero besides erdrick, I'll be thrilled. If we get more than one, I'll be over the moon. If we get a full set of them, I'll have trouble believing my eyes and it'd be the ****in greatest XD

I think an alternative, since celestrians are often shown shorter, would be to have one or two of the DQHeroes characters instead of madason and the female celestrian. Or just adding Solo.
So,..

Erdrick, Girl Erdrick, Solo, Sofía, Eight, Aurora or Teresa, Luminary, Anlucia
or
Erdrick, Girl Erdrick, Eight, Sofía, Luceus or Lazarel, Aurora or Teresa, Luminary, Anlucia

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
If we get any hero besides erdrick, I'll be thrilled. If we get more than one, I'll be over the moon. If we get a full set of them, I'll have trouble believing my eyes and it'd be the ****in greatest XD

I think an alternative, since celestrians are often shown shorter, would be to have one or two of the DQHeroes characters instead of madason and the female celestrian. Or just adding Solo.
So,..

Erdrick, Girl Erdrick, Solo, Sofía, Eight, Aurora or Teresa, Luminary, Anlucia
or
Erdrick, Girl Erdrick, Eight, Sofía, Luceus or Lazarel, Aurora or Teresa, Luminary, Anlucia
It be cool if they all had slightly different animations

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It be cool if they all had slightly different animations
They can easily change the animations for costumes, and add different facial expressions, etc. but they cant change the hiboxes. and the characters have to be the same height. Other than that, I wonder how far sakurai would be willing to go :)

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Erdrick
Femdrick
Madason
Sofía
Eight
Celestrian Female
Luminary
Anlucia
Controversial, but I would exchange Madason for The Descendant of Erdrick because he is not a Yuusha, technically. Kinda like how Anlucia fits despite being an NPC because she is a Yuusha.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Controversial, but I would exchange Madason for The Descendant of Erdrick because he is not a Yuusha, technically. Kinda like how Anlucia fits despite being an NPC because she is a Yuusha.
Yup and I think with that we've probably covered the best alt hero scenarios.
Maybe i'll put some pictures together at some point to see some of those.

I found this pic when i was checking for some art, and it's the first time I see it:

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
We can quibble about the word "yuusha", but yeah, he's really not the same type of character as the other protagonists, beyond what I'd call acceptable wiggle room. Especially when there are plenty of other options.

Has the matter of those dragon and witch stages from the stage builder overview come back up again? I'm definitely not saying those were a hint, but they'll sure inspire a new level of paranoia in people if we really do get Erdrick and Banjo. I've honestly grown a bit fond of bizarre Sakurai's Furniture-level conspiracy theories, I want a little more of that before we're done.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
That’s reasonable.

You know... Descendant... Alef.. he could learn Zap. Remember his level capped at 17 I think, but imagine if he could go beyond that. Being a descendant of Erdrick, he could learn Zap, it’s not like he didn’t learn it from design (like Lorasian Prince from DQ2 who doesn’t learn magic by design).

If I were to include a non mainline hero, I’d include Blade from DQS but most people won’t remember him.
DQH characters are fine, they’re recent. But I think DQH1 Mc fits an Erdrick alt more than DQH2 Mc.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
That’s reasonable.

You know... Descendant... Alef.. he could learn Zap. Remember his level capped at 17 I think, but imagine if he could go beyond that. Being a descendant of Erdrick, he could learn Zap, it’s not like he didn’t learn it from design (like Lorasian Prince from DQ2 who doesn’t learn magic by design).

If I were to include a non mainline hero, I’d include Blade from DQS but most people won’t remember him.
DQH characters are fine, they’re recent. But I think DQH1 Mc fits an Erdrick alt more than DQH2 Mc.
It's very possible that DQ1 hero is the strongest protag out of all the heroes just cause he defeated the big bad in only the early levels. A freaking CHAD.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You know, we should do something fun.

How about we vote for 7 characters (out of all the protagonists, spinoffs included) to go with Erdrick as alts.

That way, we could see what’s the closest to anideal roster of heroes that we could all more or less agree on. :p

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Madason’s design is my favorite and I’d hope he could be an alt, even though he’s different. But I’d definitely have Luminary,DQ1 Protag, and Eight as alts at least.

D

Deleted member

You know, we should do something fun.

How about we vote for 7 characters (out of all the protagonists, spinoffs included) to go with Erdrick as alts.

That way, we could see what’s the closest to anideal roster of heroes that we could all more or less agree on. :p
I would say....
Femdrick
Solo
Sofia
Rek
Eight
The Luminary
The Descendant

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Even not been a Yūsha I would still want Madason on the alts as he was the base for Yūsha Yoshihiko's Design, and would be funny go full crazyman playing as him(As I do when I play with Yoshi).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom