• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
The Hero - Sage pairing is so popular that DQ11 kinda made it a thing with Not-Erdrick :p

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
The Hero - Sage pairing is so popular that DQ11 kinda made it a thing with Not-Erdrick :p
I like to think so too haha

Even not been a Yūsha I would still want Madason on the alts as he was the base for Yūsha Yoshihiko's Design, and would be funny go full crazyman playing as him(As I do when I play with Yoshi).
If Erdrick has a slime summon, can it be a Koala instead lol.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Madason becomes an alt but instead he uses random monsters as a sword and shield.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
That’s reasonable.

You know... Descendant... Alef.. he could learn Zap. Remember his level capped at 17 I think, but imagine if he could go beyond that. Being a descendant of Erdrick, he could learn Zap, it’s not like he didn’t learn it from design (like Lorasian Prince from DQ2 who doesn’t learn magic by design).

If I were to include a non mainline hero, I’d include Blade from DQS but most people won’t remember him.
DQH characters are fine, they’re recent. But I think DQH1 Mc fits an Erdrick alt more than DQH2 Mc.
I remember swords they should port that to switch lol they won't tho I'd love a full on turn based remake of it I love the cast they give you and the hero looks cool I just hope fans don't forget them they don't deserve it

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Teeb147 Teeb147 I found a variant of that fan art you posted a while back during DQ day:

https://twitter.com/k_kymz
oo woo, seeing sofia there brings peace to my heart. thank you :)

As for my own personal favorite alts, it'd be the same I mentioned as before, but would just go for Teresa from DQH. Aurora's colors are too similar to Anlucia.
I'm not the greatest fan of eight's design, but i'd keep him in there because lots of other people like him.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice

Everyone! Lend your energy!
\o/
Even not been a Yūsha I would still want Madason on the alts as he was the base for Yūsha Yoshihiko's Design, and would be funny go full crazyman playing as him(As I do when I play with Yoshi).
Even if Madason isn't super compatible/thematically approproiate as an alt, I think he has a decent chance as a Swordfighter costume. They could give him a staff, which would make for a unique costume, and Gale Strike looks exactly like Woosh.

His game's obviously popular, and he's in the upcoming DQ movie, so I could actually see it happening.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Here's my quick mock up for the hero alts:

dqroster.jpg

I also made 2 versions with descendent, if anyone wants to see them. Here's one. Actually i'll put both:
dqroster - Copy (2).jpg

dqroster - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
\o/Even if Madason isn't super compatible/thematically approproiate as an alt, I think he has a decent chance as a Swordfighter costume. They could give him a staff, which would make for a unique costume, and Gale Strike looks exactly like Woosh.

His game's obviously popular, and he's in the upcoming DQ movie, so I could actually see it happening.
That'd be really cool, though I think Terry would probably take it if it was one or the other. DQ crossovers without Terry aren't allowed to exist.

Brawler Alena is likeliest of all, of course. That's getting into territory I'd stake real money on.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
I don’t know about you guys, but I find it hard to believe that Descendant is such a ******. If anything, I would think he’s the buffest one of them all. And the tallest too.
DQXI Spoilers Ahead
Especially after the Dragon Quest XI ending, guy looked huge in it. I honestly don't see him being this tiny.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I don’t know about you guys, but I find it hard to believe that Descendant is such a ******. If anything, I would think he’s the buffest one of them all. And the tallest too.
DQXI Spoilers Ahead
Especially after the Dragon Quest XI ending, guy looked huge in it. I honestly don't see him being this tiny.
Don't worry, here's the original:

I just noticed we're not getting Dragon Quest 12 until like 2021-2022.
Honestly, they can take as long as they want. Just as long as it's great.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
we've probably gone over this but do you think they'll keep the DLC going for a while like 2 or 3 packs what do you guys think? i think they should keep it going since this game was released early in the switches life.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
we've probably gone over this but do you think they'll keep the DLC going for a while like 2 or 3 packs what do you guys think? i think they should keep it going since this game was released early in the switches life.
I think a lot of people gave up on multiple packs because of what sakurai said about dlc not too long ago. That it may be worth not making a lot of dlc but a new game instead. something like that.

But if it's true that it's the last smash he works on, then there could be more. Honestly i dont know what to think about it now. I hope there's more, but it could go either way.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I think a lot of people gave up on multiple packs because of what sakurai said about dlc not too long ago. That it may be worth not making a lot of dlc but a new game instead. something like that.

But if it's true that it's the last smash he works on, then there could be more. Honestly i dont know what to think about it now. I hope there's more, but it could go either way.
To be fair, Sakurai made it clear at the same time, that it was Nintendo that decided that DLC would happen. If Nintendo wants more DLC, it will happen. IMO, it only benefits the game. We are never getting a Smash game like Ultimate again, might as well go balls to the wall before the next system is out.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
To be fair, Sakurai made it clear at the same time, that it was Nintendo that decided that DLC would happen. If Nintendo wants more DLC, it will happen. IMO, it only benefits the game. We are never getting a Smash game like Ultimate again, might as well go balls to the wall before the next system is out.
I hope that's true. And there's a chance for it for sure. It's just the way he talked about it made it sound like he wasnt just speaking for him, but it could still be seen like youre saying, or how the translation was. It'd make a lot of sense to have more dlc. especially with how well smash sold.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I kinda don't care about more DLC after Erdrick honestly (hope they are in), I feel that the game is good already as it is and I dislike the idea of the DLC costing more than the base game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I kinda don't care about more DLC after Erdrick honestly (hope they are in), I feel that the game is good already as it is and I dislike the idea of the DLC costing more than the base game.
I want MORE characters! ;p

Nah but if we get erdrick that will definitely help me stay interested in the game .

I thought I was patient for e3, and i partly am, but now i just want things to be clearer. It's not as fun to go in other threads or forums right now.
I'll try my best to keep myself busy with whatever i like and mostly just visit very few places. (or at least less places that arent as fun)

e3's so close :)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I want MORE characters! ;p

Nah but if we get erdrick that will definitely help me stay interested in the game .

I thought I was patient for e3, and i partly am, but now i just want things to be clearer. It's not as fun to go in other threads or forums right now.
I'll try my best to keep myself busy with whatever i like and mostly just visit very few places. (or at least less places that arent as fun)

e3's so close :)
At this rate I just want the characters so that we can speculate some other characters lol

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have been playing Dragon Quest V for iOS heavily for the past two days. Finally playing it after you guys suggested it to me for the character arcs. I believe I am near the endgame now. Here are my impressions:

Sorry, but I dislike it so far. Gameplay-wise and game-design wise, it is fine, but of the mainline quests involving talking to all people gets rotten old quickly and kills the pacing.

I think biggest offense this game made character-wise was not developing all the potential bride candidates enough prior to choosing who to marry.

I know too little of Debra and Nera to feel a strong incentive to choose them. When I got to that big decision moment, it was rather anti-climatic, because it was obvious to me that Bianca was the best choice due to me spending the most time with her. Even then, I feel that the time I spent with young Bianca in the ghost mansion was not enough for me to get a strong impression on the character. I feel this single flaw kills the game for me from being really invested.

Also in the young timeline, I did not feel much of a strong connection to Prince Harry and the protagonist's father either to really give a crap about the 10 year time skip of enslavement. In general, not enough character development in DQV to be really invested in the game. The game feels a bit tiresome to play as a result.

I also wish I had more control in choices. After playing Persona 5, I dislike not having the ability to speak my own when I choose choices that I don't jive with, but I have to choose yes in order to progress the story.

Still, I guess I could complement the game for having an interesting way of progressing the story. I liked the child part in particular for the little details like having the child being unable to read signs and books.

At the least, I am going to be done with game by tomorrow. It makes me wonder if DQ11S will be even worth the purchase TBH. I have been disappointed with how DQ8 handled its characters as well as DQV's.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I'm still pretty chill with Erdrick, but is it bad that I saw this video earlier today, and now I'm genuinely sad that we'll probably never get to have Slime in Smash? It's just... it's just so beautiful as a concept. (I fully acknowledge that this has likely been posted before, but it's new because it's new to me).

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I have been playing Dragon Quest V for iOS heavily for the past two days. Finally playing it after you guys suggested it to me for the character arcs. I believe I am near the endgame now. Here are my impressions:

Sorry, but I dislike it so far. Gameplay-wise and game-design wise, it is fine, but of the mainline quests involving talking to all people gets rotten old quickly.

I think biggest offense this game made character-wise was not developing all the potential bride candidates enough prior to choosing who to marry.

I know too little of Debra and Nera to feel a strong incentive to choose them. When I got to that big decision moment, it was rather anti-climatic, because it was obvious to me that Bianca was the best choice due to me spending the most time with her. Even then, I feel that the time I spent with young Bianca in the ghost mansion was not enough for me to get a strong impression on the character.

Also in the young timeline, I did not feel much of a strong connection to Prince Harry and the protagonist's father either to really give a crap about the 10 year time skip of enslavement. In general, not enough character development in DQV to be really invested in the game. The game feels a bit tiresome to play as a result.

I also wish I had more control in choices. After playing Persona 5, I dislike not having the ability to speak my own when I choose choices that I don't jive with, but I have to choose yes in order to progress the story.

Still, I guess I could complement the game for having an interesting way of progressing the story. I liked the child part in particular for the little details like having the child being unable to read signs and books.

At the least, I am going to be done with game by tomorrow. It makes me wonder if DQ11S will be even worth the purchase TBH. I have been disappointed with how DQ8 handled its characters as well as DQV's.
Shame you didn't like it. Hopefully DQ11 is up your alley because it was the game that changed my view on JRPGs, and I played P5 before that.

Okay, so I'm still pretty chill with Erdrick, but is it bad that I saw this video earlier today, and now I'm genuinely sad that we'll probably never get to have Slime in Smash? It's just... it's just so beautiful as a concept. (I fully acknowledge that this has likely been posted before, but it's new because it's new to me).

Haha nah it's fine, I can see the appeal of Slime even if I dislike it being before a hero. That being said, if we had more smash reps in the future, having Rocket Slime show up after Erdrick and potentially a young Terry wouldn't hurt.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman

Sorry, but I dislike it so far. Gameplay-wise and game-design wise, it is fine, but of the mainline quests involving talking to all people gets rotten old quickly and kills the pacing.

I know too little of Debra and Nera to feel a strong incentive to choose them. When I got to that big decision moment, it was rather anti-climatic, because it was obvious to me that Bianca was the best choice due to me spending the most time with her. Even then, I feel that the time I spent with young Bianca in the ghost mansion was not enough for me to get a strong impression on the character. I feel this single flaw kills the game for me from being really invested.

Yeah, I would say it's fair to say you won't be interested in the other games if 8 and 5 were not your thing. DQ is not a game that usually lingers too long on it's plot points, it has a particular storytelling style that typically leaves the person playing to figure the implications. Some of the stuff that had made me the saddest, for example, were dealt with in six lines or so. It's a style it took me some time to fully appreciate, even after I had played the games for almost 10 years, but I never had an aversion to it like you are having, of seeing the gaps between points as an issue and not just allowing some room for you to connect the dots. Perhaps that means the series is just out of what you will ever like.

I guess I could recommend DQ3 where the story is so simple the gap is not an issue and the charm floruishes better, but you said you thought talking to everyone wasn't a thing you liked, and, well, doing that is almost the core mechanic of 3 if you are not using guides, even having hidden NPCs holding key piece of info.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

even if this series isn't for you. you gave it a fair shot you are better than most.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Changing slime for each attack seems fine in concept but really if you play it out, it doesn't feel right, because a slime shouldn't be able to change to another one just like that to make an attack. It goes a bit too far past the flexibility to go off-canon, .. and also im not sure it would look good to see it change that often.

A slime itself, would not be able to do very much, But I do think there could be enough moveset potential to make it interesting enough, so I'm not saying slime doesn't have moveset potential. Whether it'd be very interesting to play or not would really depend on sakurai's creativity.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Changing slime for each attack seems fine in concept but really if you play it out, it doesn't feel right, because a slime shouldn't be able to change to another one just like that to make an attack. It goes a bit too far past the flexibility to go off-canon, .. and also im not sure it would look good to see it change that often.

A slime itself, would not be able to do very much, But I do think there could be enough moveset potential to make it interesting enough, so I'm not saying slime doesn't have moveset potential. Whether it'd be very interesting to play or not would really depend on sakurai's creativity.
I mean... Piranha Plant changes into an entirely different Plant for its forward-smash and side-special, and several of its other attacks are lifted from other, more specialized Plants a regular one wouldn't have. Basically, Slime would be doing the same thing, serving as an amalgamation of the many different Slimes throughout DQ history.

I agree though that I would kind of need to actually see it in motion for it to feel 100% right.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
You can fix the Slime moveset being non-canon by doing one simple thing

Slime --> Slimes
Boom, fixed. Now it's more than one slime

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean... Piranha Plant changes into an entirely different Plant for its forward-smash and side-special, and several of its other attacks are lifted from other, more specialized Plants a regular one wouldn't have. Basically, Slime would be doing the same thing, serving as an amalgamation of the many different Slimes throughout DQ history.

I agree though that I would kind of need to actually see it in motion for it to feel 100% right.
Yeh but all those piranha plants amount to mostly color changes or adding spikes, so it doesnt seem that big. Slimes have different families and almost all have their own trademark ways to be, and none are able to morph into another, the only one close to that is an amount of slimes can transform into a slime king, and making a stack would be fine but it would still take 3 slimes.

Other than that, a heal slime is pretty different from a regular slime, and it would also feel weird for it to turn into that in the air.
I guess one way to put it is if you played pokemon, and then someone said hey what if we had an eevee that could turn into different eevees on each move? Well, they'd make the argument that eevees can transform into evolutions, so it's not such a big deal, but people who know the game enough would be like no way, dont do that, eevees stay their evolution. (but there's other ways some things could be done if someone is creative).

Does that make sense?

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Yeh but all those piranha plants amount to mostly color changes or adding spikes, so it doesnt seem that big. Slimes have different families and almost all have their own trademark ways to be, and none are able to morph into another, the only one close to that is an amount of slimes can transform into a slime king, and making a stack would be fine but it would still take 3 slimes.

Other than that, a heal slime is pretty different from a regular slime, and it would also feel weird for it to turn into that in the air.
I guess one way to put it is if you played pokemon, and then someone said hey what if we had an eevee that could turn into different eevees on each move? Well, they'd make the argument that eevees can transform into evolutions, so it's not such a big deal, but people who know the game enough would be like no way, dont do that, eevees stay their evolution. (but there's other ways it could be done if someone is creative).

Does that make sense?
Yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from, especially as it relates to the actual games. I suppose I just have a looser take on it - Piranha Plants can't exactly turn into other kinds of plant either, but I'm willing to forgive the inconsistency because it makes for a significantly more interesting moveset, y'know? Either way the veeeery basics of the idea still make me sure a Slime moveset could be extremely interesting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from, especially as it relates to the actual games. I suppose I just have a looser take on it - Piranha Plants can't exactly turn into other kinds of plant either, but I'm willing to forgive the inconsistency because it makes for a significantly more interesting moveset, y'know? Either way the veeeery basics of the idea still make me sure a Slime moveset could be extremely interesting.
I think if they'd take mostly from rocket slime and the regular moves, and it could have frizz and tension too. Some of the other stuff would work. And I can imagine more moves being invented to work. And again, it entirely depends on how sakurai would creatively do one, if he'd want to make that character.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You can fix the Slime moveset being non-canon by doing one simple thing

Slime --> Slimes
Boom, fixed. Now it's more than one slime
I’ve thought of something like this tbh. It would make for a cool mechanic, although similar to Pikmin.

Having a special that summons another Slime, and then another, and another. Maybe through some sort of bar gauge.
And when you gather 5, you can turn into King Slime.

Although honestly, if we go with Slime, I would prefer most of his moves involve spawning other monsters, like Drackies for aerials, Platypunks for smash attacks, etc

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
If they'd do that then it could be a good excuse to put madason in as an alt too ;p
Im tellin ya, Madason is just gonna use some random monster as a sword and shield.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Im tellin ya, Madason is just gonna use some random monster as a sword and shield.
That's just weird, lol. I'd love it as a character in mugen or something tho. ;p

edit: if it's a dream of yours i apologize for laughing at it.

still funny to imagine tho

Last edited:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
That's just weird, lol. I'd love it as a character in mugen or something tho. ;p

edit: if it's a dream of yours i apologize for laughing at it.

still funny to imagine tho
Not at all, though Madason fighting similar to Chaos in UNIST sounds fun....

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
DQ is not a game that usually lingers too long on it's plot points, it has a particular storytelling style that typically leaves the person playing to figure the implications. Some of the stuff that had made me the saddest, for example, were dealt with in six lines or so. It's a style it took me some time to fully appreciate, even after I had played the games for almost 10 years, but I never had an aversion to it like you are having, of seeing the gaps between points as an issue and not just allowing some room for you to connect the dots.
You hit the nail on the head, I think, on why I find Dragon Quest's specific style of storytelling so appealing.

Like, right now, I just got done with a little vignette in Dragon Quest VII, that made me feel sad. It's about the recurring tree in the series, Yggdrasil.

So in Dragon Quest VII, you go back in time to various islands to make them materialize in the present, which is many generations later. With this in mind, you go through a very harrowing and actually pretty creepy story for this island, where an entire village is becoming deluded and thinking that they are all the Demon King and are being driven to try to cut down Yggrasil. This is because the well they all drink their water from has been tainted by monsters with "unholy water" so that darkness infects the hearts of everyone who drinks it. One monster, who is disguised as a shrouded human, is the mastermind behind the poisoning of the well, but he won't let the heroes put the remedy in the well in the village, getting the villagers to block the well.

This remedy, it turns out, is Yggrasil Dew. That reliable and lifesaving item that instantly heals your entire party, so rare that finding more than one in a given DQ game takes very, VERY thorough exploration. That said, despite its rarity, you can always get at least one Yggdrasil Dew for free from an NPC in every game the item is available in (at least, in DQ1-7, haven't played the later ones yet). And in the past, in this village, the heroes use this wonderful item to cure the village by going underground to reach the bottom of the well via detour due to the monster's meddling. However, in the past, the tree hasn't fully grown yet, so it acts as a key item for the time being and doesn't heal your party.

Now here's the important part: you get this dew with the help of a forest fairy. She's been assigned to protect the tree, but didn't trust humans at first, so she spread a rumor that anyone trying to cut down the tree would be cursed. Unfortunately, the monster used this to his advantage to get the darkness-drunken villagers to try to chop down the tree, as curses theoretically wouldn't affect the Demon King. After the party saves the village and defeats the monster, the fairy resolves to stop spreading the rumors about Yggdrasil and to work together with humans instead, fully giving them her trust this time.

So, as is the usual course in Dragon Quest VII, you decide to visit the island in the present after having saved it in the past. Well, the village has multiple water sources rather then one, it has more people living there, and the Yggrasil tree has now fully matured and is as giant as in previous DQ games. There's just...one dark underpinning to this:

The village has now commoditized the Yggdrasil Dew.

For the first time in the series, you need to buy the Yggdrasil Dew healing item, for 1000 G a pop. You are still limited to only purchasing one from that location, too, because the item is such a hit with the villagers and the tourists.

Furthermore, and this is the kicker, when you travel to the site of Yggdrasil north of the village, you can speak to a middle aged man NPC. He mentions that he heard the story of a fairy who helped a band of heroes (you, obviously) save the village in the past, and then adds a detail new to the player, saying that he heard that the fairy later turned into a bluebird. He mentions that, whenever the villagers come to Yggdrasil with buckets ready to take the dew back to the village with them, a bluebird comes near and chirps endlessly at them. He, and the other villagers, find it cute.

But, if you think about it long enough, you realize what's happening: the fairy, now turned into a bluebird, is expressing sadness that the villagers she decided to trust long ago, has now betrayed her trust once more in the present by commodifying a sacred property of the tree she swore to protect. But, for whatever reason, she can't do anything about it in her present form.

Nothing in the previous paragraph is outright said by anyone. Not even your party members via the party chat function, who are usually kind of blatant about these kinds of things. It's just something you have to realize after the fact, after sitting with it long enough. And that makes the tragedy of the situation feel all the more personal.

As long as Dragon Quest VII seems like it's gonna be, it's been peppered with quite a few moments like the one I described. They're not solely in DQ7, and have been a key part of the series' storytelling for a long time. They're not everyone's cup of tea but for those of us who appreciate them, they often feel like the lifeblood of the series, alongside the excellent exploration.

Adol Christin

Smash Cadet
Some screenshots just appeared online. Pretty sure it's a fake.
Can't find the source yet.

The model looks a bit too blend to be an official one, but hey, we never know.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Some screenshots just appeared online. Pretty sure it's a fake.
Can't find the source yet.

The model looks a bit too blend to be an official one, but hey, we never know.
The shield's aesthetic is what weirds me out the most. Usually this size of the emblem is used when ROTO in runes is written on it, but this version doesn't have it, but also doesn't use the larger emblem you can see in games like Battle Road victory. So yeah, I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom