• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Some screenshots just appeared online. Pretty sure it's a fake.
Can't find the source yet.

The model looks a bit too blend to be an official one, but hey, we never know.
Weird Japanese. It's fake. The font tho. Gives me shivers.
But I like the idea of Heal. It's the most famous spell literally everyone knows after all.

Last edited:

Adol Christin

Smash Cadet
Usually this size of the emblem is used when ROTO in runes is written on it, but this version doesn't have it,
Well, look a bit closer if you can, the Roto's name written in rune is indeed there.

But aside from the weird japanese spelling, the model is way too poor to be true I think.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Well, look a bit closer if you can, the Roto's name written in rune is indeed there.

But aside from the weird japanese spelling, the model is way too poor to be true I think.
Really? I need to adjust my screen then haha

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

My heart just froze for a second.
But yeah, looks a little... I wouldn’t say bland, but there’s something off about it.

Maybe it’s just that my mind can’t quite price together black-haired Erdrick with red cape.
It’s either black hair + purple cape, or brown hair + red cape (or the recent figma version, brown hair + purple cape).

But who knows? I could be ring and this could be it.

Edit Wait a darn second. Erdrick is not left handed. This is heck of a fake. Also upon closer inspection, they did a lousy job on the lower half of the character model. Not a single wrinkle in his pants which should be both baggier and really wrinkly, as Toriyama style would design them.
Isn’t this just a Link mod?

Last edited:

Adol Christin

Smash Cadet
Erdrick is not left handed. This is heck of a fake. Also upon closer inspection, they did a lousy job on the lower half of the character model. Not a single wrinkle in his pants which should be both baggier and really wrinkly, as Toriyama style would design them.
Isn’t this just a Link mod?
Yes, it does seems to be the explanation: the pants is the same as Link's, the general pose with the shield looks clearly like Link's one.
I think we got the mystery solved.
Well done !

D

Deleted member

Posting this in the Crash thread made sense, but this doesn't have anything to do with Erdrick or Dragon Quest.
Yup.
I shared it here to let some people I enjoy hanging up with from the thread to see it.

But if I broke a rule, I would like to apologize.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
i'd like to ask you guys too help me wrap my head around this i don't get the hate that people have for Erdrick the way people act is just crazy like did Erdrick come out the NES cart and smack you or something like i really don't get this hate going on twitter I read someone said we were toxic..... LIKE WHAT? everyone has been mean first and when we push back were toxic????

D

Deleted member

i'd like to ask you guys too help me wrap my head around this i don't get the hate that people have for Erdrick the way people act is just crazy like did Erdrick come out the NES cart and smack you or something like i really don't get this hate going on twitter I read someone said we were toxic..... LIKE WHAT? everyone has been mean first and when we push back were toxic????
There are different kinds of people who dislike Erdrick, tbh.

At one side we have the people who just dislike DQ but behave cool with anyone no matter the characters they want or not... on the other side we have people who don’t let anyone like what they want.

I personally find it fine with the first kinds of persons, but bad with the latter.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
There are different kinds of people who dislike Erdrick, tbh.

At one side we have the people who just dislike DQ but behave cool with anyone no matter the characters they want or not... on the other side we have people who don’t let anyone like what they want.

I personally find it fine with the first kinds of persons, but bad with the latter.
Too me I'm just confused cuz I know where most of this stems from people want Sora Erdrick is in the way of that but I mean why be a d##k about it I dislike Steve but I'm not gonna be upset if he gets in imma just make sure too never lose to that character

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
The smash community is a special sort of silly. There is nothing beyond it, they don't even care about Erdrick, they are either letting out their frustration with their wanted character not being picked or just doing it to hang with the cool kids.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
The smash community is a special sort of silly. There is nothing beyond it, they don't even care about Erdrick, they are either letting out their frustration with their wanted character not being picked or just doing it to hand with the cool kids.
The smash community is crazy we hated Ryu till we saw him in action hopefully it's the same for our boy cuz God knows I didn't want ryu back then cuz I couldn't think of how he would make sense and when I saw him I was sold all Sakurai has to do is work his magic and I think people will like erdrick

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It could be a variety of reasons. One might be unfamiliarity with Dragon Quest; I see a lot of people say that they have nothing against Erdrick, but they've never gotten into Dragon Quest and would prefer to see someone else.

Another is that Square-Enix has a lot of potential options (Geno, characters from Bravely Default or Octopath Traveler, Crono, 2B, Lara Croft, Sora (though he's owned by Disney), etc.), and if people want to see one of those characters get in, then Erdrick (who seems to be the most likely pick for DLC based on what we know) is a huge obstacle to that. With only four spots left (assuming that they are only going to have one Fighter's Pass), it seems unlikely that there will be more than one character from the same third party company as DLC to say the least.

One possible reason is that they're worried that he'll play too much like a Fire Emblem character, such as Marth or Robin, which could feel repetitive. This might be tied into the first reason; I'm not really sure how he'd play either, since I haven't played Dragon Quest 3, and my mind defaults to "a swordsman with a few magic attacks".

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
It could be a variety of reasons. One might be unfamiliarity with Dragon Quest; I see a lot of people say that they have nothing against Erdrick, but they've never gotten into Dragon Quest and would prefer to see someone else.

Another is that Square-Enix has a lot of potential options (Geno, characters from Bravely Default or Octopath Traveler, Crono, 2B, Lara Croft, Sora (though he's owned by Disney), etc.), and if people want to see one of those characters get in, then Erdrick (who seems to be the most likely pick for DLC based on what we know) is a huge obstacle to that. With only four spots left (assuming that they are only going to have one Fighter's Pass), it seems unlikely that there will be more than one character from the same third party company as DLC to say the least.

One possible reason is that they're worried that he'll play too much like a Fire Emblem character, such as Marth or Robin, which could feel repetitive. This might be tied into the first reason; I'm not really sure how he'd play either, since I haven't played Dragon Quest 3, and my mind defaults to "a swordsman with a few magic attacks".
At this point I've heard the arguments all I can say is if Sakurai can make it work then so be it also it's not the characters fault not alot of people don't know who he is they have to blame papa Square Enix for there incompetence plus I don't see him being like Marth or anyone in the FE crew I see him being a mix of link and Robin which I don't know why people are opposed to this I want an aggressive spell sword user cuz I hate Robin

D

Deleted member

The Smash community is, sadly, pretty much filled with a bunch of people with their heads up into their own asses that are normally blind to the hate they spread. And even more sadly, they only can see **** regarding stuff they like.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
The Smash community is, sadly, pretty much filled with a bunch of people with their heads up into their own ***** that are normally blind to the hate they spread. And even more sadly, they only can see **** regarding stuff they like.
Second verse same as the first I'll never understand the community but I don't care about that but what I do care about is getting the same respect we give we at least on the boards we don't do anything to get most of the hate we do get other then exist and like a series that a very loud/obnoxious majority doesn't care about (which is funny since if ya have to say you don't care it means yeah do) I get some people won't get a character they want but everyone felt/feels this at this point get over it

Teeb147

Smash Legend

It'd be one thing to be concerned about the character playing like a fire emblem one, it's another to push the point that it would be the case. So many people treat erdrick like they'd be generic sword users, and ignore moveset potential that's brought up, it's just not fun. It might be a case where we just have to ignore lame stuff around and focus on what we know so that we dont put so much into how others are going about things. dunno.

If I can vent a little too, I'm a little bit affected by how some people or fanbases are right now. I'm just kind of disappointed by how they disregard dq fans or worse. I'm a bit sad that I can't even enjoy some other places because there's still focus on trying to **** on everything that doesn't ilne up with their character having more chance, even if it means using a ton of bias to do it and credit everything that lines up and discredit everything that doesnt. Some of it is expected, but it's a bit too much for me, when I what I want is to enjoy the trip to e3 in lightness and everyone could just be open to anything since nothing is guaranteed, and see what comes. People who put a lot into it can end up disappointed in any case if it doesn't end up like they'd like.
I dont even want to think about erdrick's chances that much at this point and i know it could even just happen that e3 wouldn't reveal them or 2 characters (altho it's possible), even if they'd be in. I just want to see what e3 has, and seeing so much crap going around even now (and some people even already have something looking good for them and still do it), it's just not that great.

Ok now that I've gotten that out. I think I can manage to focus in places I like better, and not care too much what others do for their time.

As for the picture going around, I think sakurai's team would make a much better model than that. Hope I'm right, but either way just getting erdrick in the game would be good ;p

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
“I have no idea who this character is and I’m not interested in reading more about them, so they must be bad!”

I mean, that’s humanity for you. People naturally dislike and fear the unknown and make up excuses against it to pretend it doesn’t exist if it goes against their grain of thought, and for these people who (presumably) bought the Fighters Pass, they don’t want to know they’ve unknowingly paid for someone they didn’t know had exist until then. At least that’s how I see it.

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman

People usually mod old games to create fake leaks.
Now, this Erdrick not only looks a bit bland, without any proper characterization, but he looks easily like a modded Link. He's even left handed.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
“I have no idea who this character is and I’m not interested in reading more about them, so they must be bad!”

I mean, that’s humanity for you. People naturally dislike and fear the unknown and make up excuses against it to pretend it doesn’t exist if it goes against their grain of thought, and for these people who (presumably) bought the Fighters Pass, they don’t want to know they’ve unknowingly paid for someone they didn’t know had exist until then. At least that’s how I see it.
Again as I've said i understand but that ain't erdricks fault its Squares fault for people not knowing the series well enough because alot do and alot don't but Sakurai did say don't buy the pass unless you have faith in what your gonna purchase so anyone jumping in blindly only has there self's too blame

D

Deleted member

People usually mod old games to create fake leaks.
Now, this Erdrick not only looks a bit bland, without any proper characterization, but he looks easily like a modded Link. He's even left handed.
Probably a Sm4sh mod then since Link is right handed in Ultimate.

Edit. Also there's the triforce showing in the lower part of the stage with hylian text I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Thankfully, I’ve found people who glady reject the part of “they must be bad!”.

If most people did so and were respectful to anyone no matter their tastes, things would be better.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Major Dragon Quest XI Spoilers Ahead:
A Pipe dream of mine is for Erdricks trailer to start right where Dragon Quest XI ends.

It would be a MAJOR spoiler, but lets be honest here...Smash is full of them. Erdrick waking up and getting a leader to be in Smash sounds really cool to me.

Sadly, since he's a DLC character I doubt he'll get a really big trailer. Jokers was luckily animated by Atlus, I doubt SE would be so kind as to do the same

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Again as I've said i understand but that ain't erdricks fault its Squares fault for people not knowing the series well enough because alot do and alot don't but Sakurai did say don't buy the pass unless you have faith in what your gonna purchase so anyone jumping in blindly only has there self's too blame
It's not even anyone's fault. Dragon Quest is known enough in the west, even if a bit less than some others, There's tons of series that aren't known by a crapton of people, including persona. It's still silly to dump on a character just because they dont know it. There's always people who dont know them. It's just one of the excuses used to justify it and how they feel about not wanting the character in (cuz they'd like another).

Anyway, It's not fun :p

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
It's not even anyone's fault. Dragon Quest is known enough in the west, even if a bit less than some others, There's tons of series that aren't known by a crapton of people, including persona. It's still silly to dump on a character just because they dont know it. There's always people who dont know them. It's just one of the excuses used to justify it and how they feel about not wanting the character in (cuz they'd like another).

Anyway, It's not fun :p
True enough I tend to forget that not alot of people even heard of persona

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Major Dragon Quest XI Spoilers Ahead:
A Pipe dream of mine is for Erdricks trailer to start right where Dragon Quest XI ends.

It would be a MAJOR spoiler, but lets be honest here...Smash is full of them. Erdrick waking up and getting a leader to be in Smash sounds really cool to me.

Sadly, since he's a DLC character I doubt he'll get a really big trailer. Jokers was luckily animated by Atlus, I doubt SE would be so kind as to do the same
SE doesnt need to make a trailer, I think nintendo can do one just fine (they might just have to confirm that it's alright) with their models .. not sure, but
I would expect something, because i think they'd want to make it a bit big somehow. Maybe it doesnt matter tho.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
On another note...

What music do you want remixed for Smash when/if Erdrick comes?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
On another note...

What music do you want remixed for Smash when/if Erdrick comes?
Builders has a pretty decent selection of good songs form the ealier games in the series.

I'm not particularly attached to the music in DQ. It doesn't hold a candle to either Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger in that regard.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I dont care too too much about the music getting in myself. The main and battle theme could be a good start.

Is there anyone that wants to be added to the supporters list? Might be a good time for some additions before all the e3 stuff.
Plato Xaiver Plato Xaiver , AugustusB AugustusB , or anyone?

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I dont care too too much about the music getting in myself. The main and battle theme could be a good start.

Is there anyone that wants to be added to the supporters list? Might be a good time for some additions before all the e3 stuff.
Am I on the supporters list? I’m not sure if I am or not. I’ve been a pretty vocal supporter of Erdrick since last Fall, and I’m a longtime Dragon Quest fan who feels it’s place in Smash has been a long time coming.

EDIT: Just checked that I am. You can ignore this inquiry.

Last edited:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787

Id like to be added, yep yep.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Am I on the supporters list? I’m not sure if I am or not. I’ve been a pretty vocal supporter of Erdrick since last Fall, and I’m a longtime Dragon Quest fan who feels it’s place in Smash has been a long time coming.

EDIT: Just checked that I am. You can ignore this inquiry.
Id like to be added, yep yep.
K. Added you both :)

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I did not notice until now, but this support thread has been alive and kicking for about 11 years.

Kinda crazy how a Brawl support thread went from an unposted support thread to one with 110+ pages.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I did not notice until now, but this support thread has been alive and kicking for about 11 years.

Kinda crazy how a Brawl support thread went from an unposted support thread to one with 110+ pages.
Haha. That's an error. This thread was made aa little after ultimate's reveal last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom