• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I still think it's possible the character wouldn't be called erdrick, but just something like 'Hero'. (Yuusha)

I'm not banking on any alt heroes for costumes at the moment, but it could still happen.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
If Banjo get reveled first then Erdrick probably they will be showed at MS and SE conferences. I still doubt a lot that Banjo is Brave, so I still think that we will still get Erdrick in game after E3 and Banjo after. Don't know how they will manage it tho. (Only if we get both at the same time.)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If Banjo get reveled first then Erdrick probably they will be showed at MS and SE conferences. I still doubt a lot that Banjo is Brave, so I still think that we will still get Erdrick in game after E3 and Banjo after. Don't know how they will manage it tho. (Only if we get both at the same time.)
Ya it's what makes sense, brave would be erdrick and was worked on longer, so that'd be the first dlc to be released. If they're revealed at those conferences, then they might say to watch nintendo's to get more details and dates.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I still think it's possible the character wouldn't be called erdrick, but just something like 'Hero'. (Yuusha)

I'm not banking on any alt heroes for costumes at the moment, but it could still happen.
I'm almost 100% certain that They'll just be referred to as "Yuusha" in Japan and I wouldn't be surprised if the West get's "preferential" treatment in the name department in the west. Wouldn't be the first time DQ gets more polished presentation in the west

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm almost 100% certain that They'll just be referred to as "Yuusha" in Japan and I wouldn't be surprised if the West get's "preferential" treatment in the name department in the west. Wouldn't be the first time DQ gets more polished presentation in the west
In Japan, Bowser Jr. and all the Koopalings share a ring title that refers to the Clown Car Jr. itself, while in NTSC / PAL regions Bowser Jr. and each Koopaling got one individually.

Maybe in Japan they'll all be "Yuusha" while overseas it'd be different.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Which reminds me. JApanese videos regarding DLC character predictions, have always, from what I’ve seen, portrayed Descendant instead of Erdrick.

Maybe... we’ll get other heroes through alts? I would really like this tbh.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Which reminds me. JApanese videos regarding DLC character predictions, have always, from what I’ve seen, portrayed Descendant instead of Erdrick.

Maybe... we’ll get other heroes through alts? I would really like this tbh.
Well we talked about that quite a few times. I think that a few heroes have more chance than others. DQ1 and Luminary probably having the bigger chance of them. I'd like to say anclucia but she was only in an anomymous leak. And solo-sophia would be my personal picks xD

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Either way, it appears that the climate is pointing towards the legend and the bear. But keep your hype levels down anyways

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Hope the smash community starts changing for the better now that they have picks they cared about since the base game (wishful thinking I know but I hope since I'll probably won't be around for the next cycle)
That's why I hope the dlc keeps going past these 5 I honestly won't care who gets in next game because everyone was here for this one they should go all in bring dante more echos for free the works this is our only smash for a decade make it so crazy we won't forget it

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Welp i posted the tansut stuff to Sabis leak server. Pretty cynical place but nonetheless I'm staying neutral to all of this.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Welp i posted the tansut stuff to Sabis leak server. Pretty cynical place but nonetheless I'm staying neutral to all of this.
Now that the e3 leak thing has it's own section all I care about is getting to Sunday and Monday for that info baby I guess you can call me that kid who opens his presents early on Christmas lol

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Cynical?I take it they aren't happy with Erdrick and Kazooie?
Banjo is always fun and games. Erdrick has always been very cautious over there. Sometimes too cautious. Often it's also filled with insults that hurt my brain. Nonetheless that caution has merit and its respectable at times.

Now that the e3 leak thing has it's own section all I care about is getting to Sunday and Monday for that info baby I guess you can call me that kid who opens his presents early on Christmas lol
Same dude

Last edited:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
People are starting to leave us alone more since Verge and Shinobi (and seemingly Tasnut) started backing Banjo
People hate Verge so that's not really anything, buts still enough for people to get a bit mad. The amount of Steve "fans" and Banjo fans I've seen getting into arguments over that is insane. Sadly, one of these groups are gonna have to be let down....and I'd largely prefer Banjo over Steve.

However I did see someone call Erdrick potential leak bait, which made me happy, because the last stage of denial of people who didn't want Incineroar was to call him leakbait-. . .

D

Deleted member

Nah, I’m still supporting DQ until Sakurai tells the world to stop trying.

If I can still have a chance at getting a Dragon Quest rep and Crash at Smash I’ll go for it.

Besides, the idea of getting both a Dragon Quest rep and Banjo at E3 seems highly likely.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I think it’s funny that Erdrick is considered leakbait yet Banjo never is for some reason. The word leakbait is thrown around by this community like a five year old who learned a new word and wants to sound smart.

D

Deleted member

I think it’s funny that Erdrick is considered leakbait yet Banjo never is for some reason. The word leakbait is thrown around by this community like a five year old who learned a new word and wants to sound smart.
How else am I supposed to discredit things I don't like? :4pacman:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
thing is, wouldn't leak-bait be a more....wellknown character? A character that has a chance, but is improbable? A character that goes "Eh, makes sense." A better Square leak-bait character would be another FF character or a Bravely Default character.

Thing is, all because Bamco is known for doing leak bait for their games that has no merit on Smash.

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys. I know this is off-topic from what you guys are talking about but I didn't know where else to ask. I love JRPGs, yet I've never played a Dragon Quest game, and I wanna change that. What 3DS Dragon Quest game would you guys recommend?

D

Deleted member

Hey guys. I know this is off-topic from what you guys are talking about but I didn't know where else to ask. I love JRPGs, yet I've never played a Dragon Quest game, and I wanna change that. What 3DS Dragon Quest game would you guys recommend?
DQ5 or DQ8 are both excellent starting points

D

Deleted member

I think that we are at a point where both a DQ rep and Banjo seem as highly likely as each other.

More so knowing that Smash has had two reveals at E3 since a good while.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
4 and 5 are good entry games, 8s also really good and has a 3ds remake. I would also deabte that 9 wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Don't start with 7 unless you have a lot of time to spare :^)

I think that we are at a point where both a DQ rep and Banjo seem as highly likely as each other.

More so knowing that Smash has had two reveals at E3 since a good while.
EDIT:
This pretty much, we've always had dual reveals at E3.
Im aware that patterns don't exist, but like....its been a thing.
Hell we got 3 characters at one point if you count Pac-Man getting revealed behind closed doors...

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Definitely some immaturity that's annoying to see around in some fanbases, but not too important, i guess.

Just a quick note on the moveset idea i posted before. I was thinking to simplify it so that it seems more easy to make, and that would be having only 3 weapons, Sword+Shield, Axe (since we already have hammers in the game), and something else. I really like the idea of fisticuffs or claws, but that might not be as unique as a spear.. so if ever i write up movesets for them i might still do more than 3 just cuz i cant settle on getting rid of fisticuffs :p It could be cool to have something different because in a way it's like there'd already be some punch-kick attacks in any case.

The attacks that any weapons would share would be:

Neutral-B: Zap
Up-B: Zoom (tho could have some extra hit)
Down-B: Weapon Change

A: Punch -> Kick -> Multi-fists
Down-A: Leg Sweep
Down-Smash: Hitting fromt and back fast with a punch and kick like mii brawler's

Neutral-Air: A punch going downwards followed with a quick kick.
Back-Air: A back-fist (or kick, maybe)
Down-Air: A series of kicks, kinda like Snake but a bit faster, and more pointed down.

All other attacks would change depending on the weapon equipped. Some of the attacks that have punches could have a bit of intangibility if sword and shield are equipped, the shield being there for a bash instead of just a punch.. and fisticuffs could have instead that those punches and kicks deal a little bit more damage.

That's my idea for it right now anyway, and I dont know if i'd make movesets for the weapons anytime soon, but the idea is there ;)

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I'll be the millionth person to say DQV or DQVIII. They're both really excellent: V has a better story, but VIII's graphics and voice acting give it a special charm.

How else am I supposed to discredit things I don't like? :4pacman:
It's never made much sense to me. Obviously leakbait happens sometimes, but in almost every instance where it's brought up it seems much more likely that somebody along the leaker chain is just plain wrong or lying. There doesn't need to be a big conspiracy for the thing to turn out not to be true.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Thanks! He have any stance about DQ rep?
I'm not familiar enough with Dragon Quest to comment. From an outsider's perspective, Erdrick seems like he'd make the most sense, since he's the protagonist of the biggest game in the series (at least in Japan), and his legacy ties in with (at the very least) the first two games in the series. (maybe others - like I said, I know very little about the series as a whole)

Slime would also make sense, given its icon status, but the fact that it has no limbs at all might make creating a moveset difficult. Maybe the hero of Dragon Quest 8 or 11, but I think that Erdrick stands out the most as far as the series as a whole goes. It seems like Cloud compared to Final Fantasy as a whole - while Erdrick only starred in one game, he seems to be the most logical/popular choice.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Any character can be considered leakbait. It's only those you have more bias for is when you THINK you have the clearer picture. Heh.

I'm not familiar enough with Dragon Quest to comment. From an outsider's perspective, Erdrick seems like he'd make the most sense, since he's the protagonist of the biggest game in the series (at least in Japan), and his legacy ties in with (at the very least) the first two games in the series. (maybe others - like I said, I know very little about the series as a whole)

Slime would also make sense, given its icon status, but the fact that it has no limbs at all might make creating a moveset difficult. Maybe the hero of Dragon Quest 8 or 11, but I think that Erdrick stands out the most as far as the series as a whole goes. It seems like Cloud compared to Final Fantasy as a whole - while Erdrick only starred in one game, he seems to be the most logical/popular choice.
Just for some background. Erdrick is a core character in his trilogy obviously, his sword appears in DQ8 and 9, and DQ11 has ties to the Erdrick trilogy.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Hey, what did you guys think about a Pokémon Update in Smash after SwSh release? Like new Pokéball Pokémon, Spirits and maybe a new stage.

JoeStronger

Smash Cadet
Erdrick as the “Cloud” of Dragon Quest (when it should really be the other way around, but w/e) is still a pretty accurate statement.

When you see JRPGs referenced in Japanese media, chances are it’s Dragon Quest, and going past that, DQ3. Like Gintama’s whole arc parodying DQ. Even as recently as 2 years ago, with Mahoujin GuruGuru, the first Episode has a direct shout out to Erdrick/Roto (the whole show itself is basically a weird DQ parody tho; the author used to write DQ4 yonkoma).

Basically everyone knows who he is. He’s the hero.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's clear that some people 'want' to believe some things, like that this or that is leakbait, because it's an easy explanation that makes it all go away.
It's dismissing a lot of stuff. Skepticism doesn't work when someone uses it to deny evidence and focus on a small time chance of something. That just makes someone more biased towards one thing than another.

Imagine how disappointed some of them would be if only a SE rep came up, and no microsoft one (no banjo, no steve, no nothing ;p). It would suck too because you know they'd launch their hate everywhere. It really isn't healthy or good.
But at this point I do think banjo will be in ;p so i guess that's lucky. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone could mutually be happy for one another? ;)

And yeah, dq3 and erdrick were even the feature for the live tour that went around in japan. That and everything else just points to that it's the character that can rep the heroes the best if there isn't any others.

Slime could have a moveset done, just like pplant did, but would that really satisfy dq fans? If it weren't sakurai making the decisions, I would say slime'd have a bigger chance. It's a great character, but i think there's really good chances it'd still be somewhere as a taunt or victory screen.

Last edited:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
It wouldn't be Smash without giving Erdrick some dumb gimmick that will make him toxic to fight/OP
So that's what I will base my moveset on....

So here's my moveset:

My moveset idea takes things from Dragon Quest XI, with a mix of creativity because...Smash
Also, blah blah Mana Bar.

Neutral B: Zap, A Quick Bolt of Lightning that hits directly infront of Erdrick. Has an active hitbox. Sweetspot is the moment it hits the ground/target.
-Does not kill
-Low knockback (Enough to get away if you land it)
-12-15% damage
-Punishable on whiff AND shield
-Cost 3 MP

Side-B: Frizz, A FireBall Projectile. Travels across the stage at a speed similar to Ryus Hadouken. Does damage to the first enemy hit.
The hitbox is active as soon as the attack comes out, so an enemy directly in front of Erdrick will be hit.
-The startup for this attack is decently fast to compensate for travel speed
-Can only have 1-2 Fizz's out at once
-10% Damage
-Decent Knockback
-Cost 4MP

Down-B: Kaclang, Erdrick encases himself in Metal. Becoming invulnerable and unable to act.

This attack works exactly the same as Naoyatodos moveset...I just really love his moveset for Erdrick heh.

Up-B is obviously Zoom.

Smash Attacks can also stay from Naoyatodos moveset...it's just too good.
Now there's where my evil plan for a Gimmick comes in...

Pep Up

Erdrick has a Pep-Up gauge, it cannot be manually charged, it will not go up passively. It only goes up when he takes and deals damage. Taking damage in Clang will not fill the gauge. Losing a stock will reset the gauge back to zero. Attacks and Spells are powered up while this is active, last 15 seconds.

While Peped, you gain:
-Increased Damage and Knockback
-Faster Mana Regen

Zap -> Kazap
Kazap has longer start up, but a bigger hitbox and radius.
The attack is bigger, and does more damage, but is still punishable if you miss.
Stuns the enemy if it hits.
Cost 6 Mana

Frizz -> Frizzle
A Faster and Larger Fireball.
Simply does more damage and knockback
Cost 5 Mana

Zoom -> Zoom...can either just travel further, or gains the ability to go through the stage.
Cost: 2 Mana

Kaclang -> Unchanged? I can’t really think of changing Kaclang without making it broken.

This wasn't made to be balanced or anything, just something that people would possibly find "unfun to fight" without it also being broken.

When you see JRPGs referenced in Japanese media, chances are it’s Dragon Quest,
Someone tell the JoJo fanbase that part 3 has a DQ reference
Then we can get support from then...hell Araki dressed as Solo for a V-Jump thing once.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Erdrick as the “Cloud” of Dragon Quest (when it should really be the other way around, but w/e) is still a pretty accurate statement.

When you see JRPGs referenced in Japanese media, chances are it’s Dragon Quest, and going past that, DQ3. Like Gintama’s whole arc parodying DQ. Even as recently as 2 years ago, with Mahoujin GuruGuru, the first Episode has a direct shout out to Erdrick/Roto (the whole show itself is basically a weird DQ parody tho; the author used to write DQ4 yonkoma).

Basically everyone knows who he is. He’s the hero.

Yet he is apparently not that important :p

anyways here is some fan art for everyone

IMG_20190604_163149.jpg

Twitter isnt working for me today so the link is not here apologies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It wouldn't be Smash without giving Erdrick some dumb gimmick that will make him toxic to fight/OP
So that's what I will base my moveset on....

So here's my moveset:

My moveset idea takes things from Dragon Quest XI, with a mix of creativity because...Smash
Also, blah blah Mana Bar.

Neutral B: Zap, A Quick Bolt of Lightning that hits directly infront of Erdrick. Has an active hitbox. Sweetspot is the moment it hits the ground/target.
-Does not kill
-Low knockback (Enough to get away if you land it)
-12-15% damage
-Punishable on whiff AND shield
-Cost 3 MP

Side-B: Frizz, A FireBall Projectile. Travels across the stage at a speed similar to Ryus Hadouken. Does damage to the first enemy hit.
The hitbox is active as soon as the attack comes out, so an enemy directly in front of Erdrick will be hit.
-The startup for this attack is decently fast to compensate for travel speed
-Can only have 1-2 Fizz's out at once
-10% Damage
-Decent Knockback
-Cost 4MP

Down-B: Kaclang, Erdrick encases himself in Metal. Becoming invulnerable and unable to act.

This attack works exactly the same as Naoyatodos moveset...I just really love his moveset for Erdrick heh.

Up-B is obviously Zoom.

Smash Attacks can also stay from Naoyatodos moveset...it's just too good.
Now there's where my evil plan for a Gimmick comes in...

Pep Up

Erdrick has a Pep-Up gauge, it cannot be manually charged, it will not go up passively. It only goes up when he takes and deals damage. Taking damage in Clang will not fill the gauge. Losing a stock will reset the gauge back to zero. Attacks and Spells are powered up while this is active, last 15 seconds.

While Peped, you gain:
-Increased Damage and Knockback
-Faster Mana Regen

Zap -> Kazap
Kazap has longer start up, but a bigger hitbox and radius.
The attack is bigger, and does more damage, but is still punishable if you miss.
Stuns the enemy if it hits.
Cost 6 Mana

Frizz -> Frizzle
A Faster and Larger Fireball.
Simply does more damage and knockback
Cost 5 Mana

Zoom -> Zoom...can either just travel further, or gains the ability to go through the stage.
Cost: 2 Mana

Kaclang -> Unchanged? I can’t really think of changing Kaclang without making it broken.

This wasn't made to be balanced or anything, just something that people would possibly find "unfun to fight" without it also being broken.
Hey someone finally did a pep moveset :D
thanks for sharing. It feels like a tension mechanic we've talked about but this would last longer, kinda like cloud. Maybe it could be active even when it's not full, giving smaller bonuses. (like mixing cloud and lucario) - that would make it broken :)

In the games, frizz costs less than zap, so maybe it could cost 2 mp. just an idea.

I have 2 questions for you. What kind of mechanic do you like for refilling mana? And, Would you mostly have just sword attacks?

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Hey someone finally did a pep moveset :D
thanks for sharing. It feels like a tension mechanic we've talked about but this would last longer, kinda like cloud. Maybe it could be active even when it's not full, giving smaller bonuses. (like mixing cloud and lucario) - that would make it broken :)

In the games, frizz costs less than zap, so maybe it could cost 2 mp. just an idea.

I have 2 questions for you. What kind of mechanic do you like for refilling mana? And, Would you mostly have just sword attacks?
Mana would refill slowly passively, but would refill quicker upon dealing damage. Erdrick starts the fight with HALF of his max mana, losing a stock does not affect mana.

and similar to Naoyatodo, I would like to incorporate sword and shield based attacks.
Give the shield attacks Palus passive ;^)
though,I think it would be fun to incorporate moves from newer dragon quest games as smash attacks?

F-Smash could be Fire Slash, but when no mana its a typical sword swing? That's just an example of course.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Mana would refill slowly passively, but would refill quicker upon dealing damage. Erdrick starts the fight with HALF of his max mana, losing a stock does not affect mana.

and similar to Naoyatodo, I would like to incorporate sword and shield based attacks.
Give the shield attacks Palus passive ;^)
though,I think it would be fun to incorporate moves from newer dragon quest games as smash attacks?

F-Smash could be Fire Slash, but when no mana its a typical sword swing? That's just an example of course.
Ok so you're going close to naoyatodo's version for mp regen too.
The one thing i dont like about slowly regenerating is that it could make people play evasive to recharge, but i think it's not as much a problem if there's no speed boosting mechanic. I like all sorts of ideas for mp regen, so long as there is one :p

The elemental slashes (for smashes) are from later games anyway, and that was used by a few people here. I think that if you went with DQ11, Luminary had all sorts of skills that you could use instead too. Since you went with a pep mechanic, that might be worth looking at.

I haven't played the game, but maybe someone could comment on these:
Quadraslash
Flamesplitter
Seasplitter
Skysplitter
Earthsplitter
Blightsplitter
Brightsplitter

I think a sword and shield only moveset would work ok for Luminary being an alt hero (instead of a costume).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom