• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah. If you want my personal opinion when it comes to Dragon Quest heroes powers, I can confidently say that there are a lot of DQ heroes that reach the upper echelon of the smash roster if we are basing it solely on the canon game.

The Luminary for example I think would be around the same tier as True Monado Shulk, Bayonetta, and Joker.

Also, I should probably say this to Teeb147 Teeb147 regarding the different world thing with different combatants. While I understand the whole idea that different worlds have different rules, I personally think for versus matches that it purposely gives a buff or a nerf depending on the scenario so it is just a variable that I'd like to dismiss :shrug:
Well i like better the idea of using it to buff or nerf someone, not dismiss ;p
I think I just have trouble of settling with something because there's just too much going on with them :p

Kirby can defeat all sorts of great beings, but in the end isn't a honed fighter and sleeps a lot, etc. so i dont think of kirby in a powerful way, but hey the floor is open for antyhing. If I were better at knowing or remembering lore i might have better stuff to say, haha.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Well i like better the idea of using it to buff or nerf someone, not dismiss ;p
I think I just have trouble of settling with something because there's just too much going on with them :p

Kirby can defeat all sorts of great beings, but in the end isn't a honed fighter and sleeps a lot, etc. so i dont think of kirby in a powerful way, but hey the floor is open for antyhing. If I were better at knowing or remembering lore i might have better stuff to say, haha.
I don't like much comparing power levels from different franchises, as I thought is more fun to balance it to make fun stories.
A thing I like to do is what you guys was doing other day with the Smash/JRPG Avangers, taking two group or franchise and remaking the team with those characters.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I don't like much comparing power levels from different franchises, as I thought is more fun to balance it to make fun stories.
A thing I like to do is what you guys was doing other day with the Smash/JRPG Avangers, taking two group or franchise and remaking the team with those characters.
I still think it would be fun to see that crossover. Plus it would be interesting to see a personality clash between Cloud and Erdrick.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, maybe talking a little about it makes me think that as far as challenges go, I can see trying to compare different characters and worlds kind of interesting. I may just not be good at it ;p

I'm actually more curious to see erdrick vs link, both mixed warriors with shields, but different too.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Well, maybe talking a little about it makes me think that as far as challenges go, I can see trying to compare different characters and worlds kind of interesting. I may just not be good at it ;p

I'm actually more curious to see erdrick vs link, both mixed warriors with shields, but different too.
I'd just love a crossover between Dragon Quest x Legend of Zelda in general. Anyways if we are talking Erdrick vs Link, it depends on which Link.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'd just love a crossover between Dragon Quest x Legend of Zelda in general. Anyways if we are talking Erdrick vs Link, it depends on which Link.
I mostly just want them to fight in smash now XD

Otherwise, pick whichever link you think has a better chance.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I'd put any Link up with DQ's heroes in terms of raw power. I've never considered Link a particularly strong character in that way, apart from the Master Sword being a top-tier weapon (better than the chronically busted Sword of Kings for sure).

What makes Link special is that he's clever and versatile. I feel like most DQ characters would probably be too dumb to make it through a Zelda dungeon.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't think I'd put any Link up with DQ's heroes in terms of raw power. I've never considered Link a particularly strong character in that way, apart from the Master Sword being a top-tier weapon (better than the chronically busted Sword of Kings for sure).

What makes Link special is that he's clever and versatile. I feel like most DQ characters would probably be too dumb to make it through a Zelda dungeon.
Lol, that last part made me laugh.
I guess it's a good thing that the heroes have players' smarts to help out ;p

Maybe link's a bit like batman then, he can't compete with other heroes in power, but he makes up for it for being smart.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
I feel like most DQ characters would probably be too dumb to make it through a Zelda dungeon.
Most probably wouldn't
However, my lord and savior Torneko could make quick work of any Zelda dungeon in record time.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Talking all about that make me want to make a crossover picture for the RPGMaker Game I told I was making, but my draw skills are trash xD

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Maybe link's a bit like batman then, he can't compete with other heroes in power, but he makes up for it for being smart.
That's how I've always interpreted him. Since Zelda games are focused more on puzzles than combat, Link's forte ought to be thinking over fighting. Look at Ravio: take away Link's courage and you get a sly trickster character.

Most probably wouldn't
However, my lord and savior Torneko could make quick work of any Zelda dungeon in record time.
Granted. I'd put Red on the list too.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Granted, Link V Dragon Quest character heavily depends on which link we use....
They're all super smart, but some are defo stronger than others. Skyward Sword Link and TP Link especially could easily hold their own I believe. Especially since the Hylian Shield in SS is unbreakable. Also don't forget that while the Triforce of Courage is definitely weaker than Power or Wisdom, it does give Link protection against magic. Link at his best is a threat imo.

Also, speculated that the ToC gives its user mastery over any weapon
That or Link is just naturally that skilled, give or take.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
They're all super smart, but some are defo stronger than others. Skyward Sword Link and TP Link especially could easily hold their own I believe. Especially since the Hylian Shield in SS is unbreakable. Also don't forget that while the Triforce of Courage is definitely weaker than Power or Wisdom, it does give Link protection against magic. Link at his best is a threat imo.
I didn't remember something about that. ..Isn't there magic in the games that damages link?

Also, just to let you know this forum has rules against posting twice in a row.
(in other words, they encourage using 'edit' to add to a post if no one else posted yet)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

Stronger then the swords of kings yeah. I'd say the Sword of Light is roughly the same tier. But yeah most of them wouldn't be able to go past a Zelda dungeon on their own lol.

Also, speculated that the ToC gives its user mastery over any weapon
That or Link is just naturally that skilled, give or take.
Honestly when it comes to the Links it really depends on which DQ protag we are using. I think from a lore standpoint, Erdrick contends with OG NES Link or even OoT Link (though I'm only guessing for that one).

Whereas Luminary can probably bulldoze a lot of the Links except for the higher tiers. However all the Links are much more cunning compared to the Yuushas

Last edited:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
I didn't remember something about that. ..Isn't there magic in the games that damages link?

Also, just to let you know this forum has rules against posting twice in a row.
(in other words, they encourage using 'edit' to add to a post if no one else posted yet)
What the ToC exactly does for Link is very game dependent

Sometimes it does nothing
Sometimes its survivability/magical protection (magical protection isn't immunity, he can still be hurt. I would assume it only protects him from status based spells anyway)
and in Twilight Princess specifically it protects him against Twilight.

Link just gets balls of steel while Zelda and Ganon get nigh omnipotence :^)

Thing is Link has no innate magical power, he's given magical spells by the great faeries. So i'm gonna make a bold assumption and say Link can't even use the full power of the ToC because he lacks the magic to do so.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What the ToC exactly does for Link is very game dependent

Sometimes it does nothing
Sometimes its survivability/magical protection (magical protection isn't immunity, he can still be hurt. I would assume it only protects him from status based spells anyway)
and in Twilight Princess specifically it protects him against Twilight.

Link just gets balls of steel while Zelda and Ganon get nigh omnipotence :^)

Thing is Link has no innate magical power, he's given magical spells by the great faeries. So i'm gonna make a bold assumption and say Link can't even use the full power of the ToC because he lacks the magic to do so.
In that case, what if erdrick got the triforce of courage? :O

Stronger then the swords of kings yeah. I'd say the Sword of Light is roughly the same tier. But yeah most of them wouldn't be able to go past a Zelda dungeon on their own lol.

Honestly when it comes to the Links it really depends on which DQ protag we are using. I think from a lore standpoint, Erdrick contends with OG NES Link or even OoT Link (though I'm only guessing for that one).

Whereas Luminary can probably bulldoze a lot of the Links except for the higher tiers. However all the Links are much more cunning compared to the Yuushas
They might not be the smartest but I mean come on, cunning doesn't always win out on power. ;p
Learning to turn on candles in the right order not gonna save you from a gigaslash, lol.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
In that case, what if erdrick got the triforce of courage? :O

They might not be the smartest but I mean come on, cunning doesn't always win out on power. ;p
Learning to turn on candles in the right order not gonna save you from a gigaslash, lol.
That's true. Plus if it was Luminary, he would be a much worse threat then Ganondorf :p

D

Deleted member

This topic is completely dumb, but I also can't resist piping in.

I'd put Erdrick at the higher end of the dumb power scale, but not at the tippy top. With backup he managed to destroy Zoma, who was powerful enough to imprison a goddess. Exactly how powerful Rubiss actually is is a big question mark, but I'd say that puts Zoma at least at the level of someone like Demise or Hades. Though I guess factoring the Sphere of Light into that makes everything much more complicated. But then, Erdrick beat Zoma right after fighting King Hydra and two forms of Baramos. So, uh... who knows.

Kirby or full-power Shulk would wipe the floor with Erdrick, anyway. I'd probably give it to the Samuses, too. Bayo would probably be a good match.
My nominations for most powerful ******* in terms of raw power in Smash Bros are

• Joker: He battles demons, can summon the literal embodiment of sin to kill God, and can switch Personas to nullify certain elements and physical attacks.
  • Robin: Canonically, he can destroy the world.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was thinking a bit about how it's going to be if erdrick really is in and we get to play around and figure everything out about the character, and it's a pretty exciting thought ;)

I might as well share one more pic while i have it around:

f06d56049e7981ca67dd6afdd9a064c02330a307.jpg

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I was thinking a bit about how it's going to be if erdrick really is in and we get to play around and figure everything out about the character, and it's a pretty exciting thought ;)

I might as well share one more pic while i have it around

View attachment 225632
Awesome pic, one of my favorites!

Yeah figuring stuff out is going to be great.
And I’m sure DQ spirits will bring be back to game modes that feature them.
I would attempt to beat WoL as him alone.

Not to mention, I’m planning on making every character that I like, just a casual pick, and make Erdrick my solo-main.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

Not to mention, I’m planning on making every character that I like, just a casual pick, and make Erdrick my solo-main.
I'd main the **** out of Erdrick/Luminary and have Cloud and snake as my pockets.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Same. I could actually maybe finally have a solo-main heh :). It still depends on a few things, but there's good chances for it.
And then whatever pockets i need to fill the rest of my play time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dragon Quest Walk announced. Looks sort of like Pokemon Go but for Dragon Quest. I'm interested but I assume it's Japan only.

Seems like the idea is to walk around for random encounters that you fight with your in game character. Pretty clearly inspired by Pokemon Go, but still a very nice twist on it.
Here's the full trailer btw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbp9V_uA6_U

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Seems like a better version of Pokemon Go, but I live in the boonies and Pokemon Go was a nightmare to play. Not gonna drive 5 miles for a Pidgey or a Slime.

D

Deleted member

Seems like the idea is to walk around for random encounters that you fight with your in game character. Pretty clearly inspired by Pokemon Go, but still a very nice twist on it.
Here's the full trailer btw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbp9V_uA6_U
The trailer was funny. It plays the triumphant overture theme while Japan is being invaded by underworld monsters like it's an apocalyptic scenario.

Hope it comes to America

Last edited by a moderator:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I'm not terribly impressed by the concept, but it at least looks like they made an earnest attempt at it.

This one goes even deeper in the Localization Never hole than DQX, though, so whatever. Might as well just forget it exists.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I like it! I'm not a fan of pokemon go but this probably has actual battles, and something tells me Square Enix put a lot more interesting stuff than nintendo's flicking balls for the most part. I dont play mobile games but i'm very curious to watch videos of those that'll play it! :)

It's also never bad to see more DQ stuff pop up and this one feels like a big one. It might only be japan, but let's see how big it gets because if it gains traction too then maybe it'll be worth trying elsewhere. We can at least see where it ends up going.

One more week!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like it! I'm not a fan of pokemon go but this probably has actual battles, and something tells me Square Enix put a lot more interesting stuff than nintendo's flicking balls for the most part. I dont play mobile games but i'm very curious to watch videos of those that'll play it! :)

It's also never bad to see more DQ stuff pop up and this one feels like a big one. It might only be japan, but let's see how big it gets because if it gains traction too then maybe it'll be worth trying elsewhere. We can at least see where it ends up going.

One more week!
Yeah watching the full stream this seems to have more depth to it than Pokemon Go. You have your own character that you can customize and can party up with other people, and there also seems to be a quest system. And even a house building system, I'm not sure why but it's there. Perhaps your house becomes a random NPC house? lol
Also, a closed beta was announced for the game, JP only it seems

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah watching the full stream this seems to have more depth to it than Pokemon Go. You have your own character that you can customize and can party up with other people, and there also seems to be a quest system. And even a house building system, I'm not sure why but it's there. Perhaps your house becomes a random NPC house? lol
Also, a closed beta was announced for the game, JP only it seems
Nice! That's already miles ahead of pokemon go. Well, I'll have to take a look myself but it sounds fun and like they took a bit of stuff from dq9 (for partying with people around) which is pretty cool to see :D

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I'm not sure about the technology behind this, but Pokemon Go used data from Niantic's other game, so they had data on where to put PokeStops , gyms, and other things, around the world. I don't think DQ Walk will have all that information, only for Japan I assume.

Maybe people will be able to play with a fake GPS app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom