• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

And my old trusty 3DS from 2011 returned to the world of the living, thankfully it was a SD card problem not a console problem, lost all of my save files though... which included my ongoing DQ7 save, which is like, the least replayable DQ game :facepalm:
Same thing happened to my Vita a while back. I lost my ongoing saves for DQ Builders as well as FF Tactics. Thankfully they're both much more replayable but it still hurts pretty bad when it does.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Naoyatodo Naoyatodo your moveset doc has been getting some views on Twitter. People really like it! Some big names have retweeted, like sackchief and DQ Dragon's Den.

As it should. It's extremely well made.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Naoyatodo Naoyatodo your moveset doc has been getting some views on Twitter. People really like it! Some big names have retweeted, like sackchief and DQ Dragon's Den.

Nice. Naoyatodo Naoyatodo i'm glad your moveset is getting some attention. I noticed that you didn't add what we talked about the other day yet. (the idea that it could be added or replace another spell, like kabuff).
I was thinking for just the idea of replacing kabuff with zap, and if it doesn't feel right because sizz should be in the menu, i thought of a way to put it so that it works:

Spells
Zap
Kasap
Sizz
Kaclang
Acceleratle

This way, all the spells are in the menu, and the default one is zap, and then if you go down it's still kasap, and if you go up it's acceleratle. The only reason to have sizz and kaclang in there is to imitate a menu with all the battle spells.

I'm probably going to mention that when i comment about the moveset, so i'm just giving an example for how it could look ok.
Anyway, i'm curious what you think about that. ;)

Last edited:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice

Thanks! I probably should have posted it on my Twitter, haha. I'll do that when I make some UI mockups with my Erdrick render, so I have an excuse to plug it in there.
Nice. Naoyatodo Naoyatodo i'm glad your moveset is getting some attention. I noticed that you didn't add what we talked about the other day yet. (the idea that it could be added or replace another spell, like kabuff).
I was thinking for just the idea of replacing kabuff with zap, and if it doesn't feel right because sizz should be in the menu, i thought of a way to put it so that it works:

Spells
Zap
Kasap
Sizz
Kaclang
Acceleratle

This way, all the spells are in the menu, and the default one is zap, and then if you go down it's still kasap, and if you go up it's acceleratle. The only reason to have sizz and kaclang in there is to imitate a menu with all the battle spells.

I'm probably going to mention that when i comment about the moveset, so i'm just giving an example for how it could look ok.
Anyway, i'm curious what you think about that. ;)
Hmm... It would make sense for Zap to be the most accessible of the spells, but I kinda wanted Acceleratle to be first, since that's what players will most likely be using at the beginning of the match.

My idea for a Spell menu with more than 3 spells would be one with two columns. It would look like this:

Acceleratle Zap
Kabuff Kaclang
Kasap Zoom

(Sorry for the crappy formatting)

That way, some of the spells would be accessible by tilting the analog stick horizontally, so choosing Zap would require a set of inputs like B>Right>B.

That said, I think I'm gonna put Zap on his Side B instead, replacing Sizz. Sorry for not updating it in a while, btw.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Thanks! I probably should have posted it on my Twitter, haha. I'll do that when I make some UI mockups with my Erdrick render, so I have an excuse to plug it in there.

Hmm... It would make sense for Zap to be the most accessible of the spells, but I kinda wanted Acceleratle to be first, since that's what players will most likely be using at the beginning of the match.

My idea for a Spell menu with more than 3 spells would be one with two columns. It would look like this:

Acceleratle Zap
Kabuff Kaclang
Kasap Zoom

(Sorry for the crappy formatting)

That way, some of the spells would be accessible by tilting the analog stick horizontally, so choosing Zap would require a set of inputs like B>Right>B.

That said, I think I'm gonna put Zap on his Side B instead, replacing Sizz. Sorry for not updating it in a while, btw.
Oh. Well I really like the 2 column one too actually :)
I still think you dont have to replace sizz because having 2 offensive spells would make it feel even less like shulk and more of a hero class jack of all trades, but technically the only thing you can say(to write) is that zap is a possible spell to have, that could replace any of the spells there (including sizz), that leaves it up to the imagination of people reading the moveset to place it where they want. I do really think that making the character even more different than shulk could count for quite a bit, so that's why i bring it up a lot.

I love speed boosts, a lot, but i think it being a buff spell makes sense to not be the default, especially since erdrick's more known with zap, but it's not a huge difference... I should say i can't help but be a bit of a perfectionist when i see something really good, so i hope you know that because i dont want you to feel like im being picky :p

The best idea would actually be to add zap but put sizz there instead of zoom, that way we have 4 spells from the magic menu (if sizz is still on side b) and everything works great. That would make for a lot of spells :). Zoom is a field spell so i dont think it would matter much. ;p

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Hello everyone, I didn't say anything earlier but I'm finally back on the Dragon Quest train!

I'm playing DQ7 on 3DS, and I had a question. I'm on the island with the girl who wants to make a town with monsters. There's another girl beneath the the ground talking about traveler's tablets and monster stamps and stuff. Is all that optional? Or is there a point where I need to participate to advance the plot?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hello everyone, I didn't say anything earlier but I'm finally back on the Dragon Quest train!

I'm playing DQ7 on 3DS, and I had a question. I'm on the island with the girl who wants to make a town with monsters. There's another girl beneath the the ground talking about traveler's tablets and monster stamps and stuff. Is all that optional? Or is there a point where I need to participate to advance the plot?
I don't think it's necessary, but if you evolve the town to a certain one you can get some of the best items in the game. I think some people have to join, but it's mostly you doing the recruiting in the world. It's neat because you can manage the town later. I dont know how the monsters work for the towns, that's new to the 3ds version.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I don't think it's necessary, but if you evolve the town to a certain one you can get some of the best items in the game. I think some people have to join, but it's mostly you doing the recruiting in the world. It's neat because you can manage the town later. I dont know how the monsters work for the towns, that's new to the 3ds version.
I see, thanks for letting me know.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
For sure! I thought you didn't have a Twitter, that's why you let me post it. Definitely plug your stuff in. You have lots of fans there now lol. They love Erdrick's expressions!

D

Deleted member

For fun let's say solo first and then with full party.
In terms of canon power I think he could hold his own against most of the cast. Though some like Ganondorf, Ridley, Rool, Palutena, Shulk, and others would be much more of a struggle for sure.
With a full party (let's assume what could be considered an optimal one - warrior/fighter, priest/sage, and jester/sage) I think nearly everyone would be at the very least beatable without too much issue. In this context I like to think of the characters like Pokemon as regular monsters while characters like Bowser and Ridley are bosses. Kirby is the postgame superboss.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
In canon, how many characters can Erdrick contend with before he loses in the smash roster. I'm just bored rofl.
Would depend on the level. If erdrick is max level maybe no one could compete. It's kind of a hard question, i find. Shulk was in an rpg party too, so i'm not sure how you'd say someone is more powerful, lol.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
This topic is completely dumb, but I also can't resist piping in.

I'd put Erdrick at the higher end of the dumb power scale, but not at the tippy top. With backup he managed to destroy Zoma, who was powerful enough to imprison a goddess. Exactly how powerful Rubiss actually is is a big question mark, but I'd say that puts Zoma at least at the level of someone like Demise or Hades. Though I guess factoring the Sphere of Light into that makes everything much more complicated. But then, Erdrick beat Zoma right after fighting King Hydra and two forms of Baramos. So, uh... who knows.

Kirby or full-power Shulk would wipe the floor with Erdrick, anyway. I'd probably give it to the Samuses, too. Bayo would probably be a good match.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
This topic is completely dumb, but I also can't resist piping in.

I'd put Erdrick at the higher end of the dumb power scale, but not at the tippy top. With backup he managed to destroy Zoma, who was powerful enough to imprison a goddess. Exactly how powerful Rubiss actually is is a big question mark, but I'd say that puts Zoma at least at the level of someone like Demise or Hades. Though I guess factoring the Sphere of Light into that makes everything much more complicated. But then, Erdrick beat Zoma right after fighting King Hydra and two forms of Baramos. So, uh... who knows.

Kirby or full-power Shulk would wipe the floor with Erdrick, anyway. I'd probably give it to the Samuses, too. Bayo would probably be a good match.
Well from some research, Rubiss created all of Alefgard and Malroth is supposed to be her equal in terms of power, called a god of destruction. Zoma beat her like you said, engulf the entire world of Alefgard and his lackey is the one that was terrorizing Aliahan. Maybe that makes him a tier around or above Demise. Definitely at least above Ganondorf tier. That being said, I agree that the literal godtier characters like Shulk would destroy him. At least Erdrick is like OoT Link tier or maybe even ALTTP tier. But I'm not too sure.

Also:

Anime Erdrick by https://twitter.com/wakana_0125

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Tired: Erdrick, the rumored Square Enix character, who's made the rounds since late last year

Wired: Erdrick, the legendary hero, whose exploits are spoken of in whispers around the world far and wide

I've decided the latter is how I'm going to interpret all of the rumors around Erdrick, haha

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Tired: Erdrick, the rumored Square Enix character, who's made the rounds since late last year

Wired: Erdrick, the legendary hero, whose exploits are spoken of in whispers around the world far and wide

I've decided the latter is how I'm going to interpret all of the rumors around Erdrick, haha
Erdricks ring name is gonna be either "bravest of all heroes" or "the legend"

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Is shulk really that powerful? How do you compare different worlds in any case? :O

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Does anyone know how Japanese fans generally feel about the Erdrick rumors? By now, some interesting reactions should have come forth, but I have not seen any lately.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Does anyone know how Japanese fans generally feel about the Erdrick rumors? By now, some interesting reactions should have come forth, but I have not seen any lately.
To my understanding it's enthusiastic confusion. In the Japanese fanbase, if I'm not mistaken, the roster is seen as catering to Western tastes more so than Japanese, so for a character to be added from a series that's largely only popular in Japan would go against that.
Also, I am pretty sure the rumor that has been making way around the Japanese fanbase is not of him specifically but just "Dragon Quest hero", if it makes any difference.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Unfortunately it's kind of hard to find anything. And that topic hasn't really shown up with people frequenting japanese sites. From what I've seen, there's not that much talk around leaks and all that, so it's possible a lot of them would be in for a great surprise.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
does the Erdrick moveset doc have anything related to the Goddess Ring?
1559455208326.png

from my previous playthrough in DQ3, this baby can heal your MP each and every 4 steps

honestly if Erdrick's moveset gimmick was all MP management based, this would do wonders on balancing that.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
does the Erdrick moveset doc have anything related to the Goddess Ring?
View attachment 225569
from my previous playthrough in DQ3, this baby can heal your MP each and every 4 steps

honestly if Erdrick's moveset gimmick was all MP management based, this would do wonders on balancing that.

We've talked about different ways to recover mp, yeah. Smash wouldn't need to have something canon necessarily, but if it's regeneration then yeah the goddess ring or happy hat could be an explanation.

Some of us thought it'd be better to recover mp on hit so that players dont just run away to recover mp. Which is a feature for wands, not swords, but w/e :p

It could also just regenerate very fast on its own, like with hocus pocus, or there could be a move where they can either drink magic water or use a sorcerer's ring. Anyway, there's lots of options :)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If we are talking canon powers, Shulk is indeed the most powerful.
Well like I said, how do you even compare different worlds? Take the dragon ball world for example, different planets can have different gravity and just that alone can change a lot. Train on a hard world and then you're much more powerful on regular ones.

But I know shulk has some abilities with time and other stuff so maybe it doesn't matter, but I think it's pretty hard to talk about different game worlds, personally.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Well like I said, how do you even compare different worlds? Take the dragon ball world for example, different planets can have different gravity and just that alone can change a lot. Train on a hard world and then you're much more powerful on regular ones.

But I know shulk has some abilities with time and other stuff so maybe it doesn't matter, but I think it's pretty hard to talk about different game worlds, personally.
I mean I dont know savvy you are with spoilers but Shulk is....Shulk is something else lol. Now that being said, if we got Luminary, he would fair better then Erdrick imo but would still lose to someone like Shulk. But he would beat more characters than Erdrick.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean I dont know savvy you are with spoilers but Shulk is....Shulk is something else lol.
I dont think I'll play xenoblade chronicles 1, or at least not for a long time, but even if he's able to do some crazy stuff, I could imagine a case where a dragon quest hero would be made to be as powerful as a super saiyan or more. And then look at goku's power. Or maybe I'm way off base, but i just think there's too much gray area to say much for sure.

edit: Tho i guess looking at what's already there, i dont think any dq hero could destroy a plant easily, so maybe not for now ;p

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I dont think I'll play xenoblade chronicles 1, or at least not for a long time, but even if he's able to do some crazy stuff, I could imagine a case where a dragon quest hero would be made to be as powerful as a super saiyan or more. And then look at goku's power. Or maybe I'm way off base, but i just think there's too much gray area to say much for sure.
I mean the final boss he killed created his entire universe, like he was literally a god (who can also see into the future and predict), not a creation god like Rubiss but practically all of existence I believe. After that death, Shulk became a god for a brief moment and created a new world.

I don't think someone like Zoma has ever done that but who knows. Maybe if we ever get a remake of DQ3, we can see just how powerful Zoma really is since he technically has another form called Asura Zoma. Also I kind of find it funny how people assumed that Zoma only has control of Alefgard since I'm pretty sure Torland is a thing but whatever.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean the final boss he killed created his entire universe, like he was literally a god (who can also see into the future and predict), not a creation god like Rubiss but practically all of existence I believe. After that death, Shulk became a god for a brief moment and created a new world.

I don't think someone like Zoma has ever done that but who knows. Maybe if we ever get a remake of DQ3, we can see just how powerful Zoma really is since he technically has another form called Asura Zoma. Also I kind of find it funny how people assumed that Zoma only has control of Alefgard since I'm pretty sure Torland is a thing but whatever.
Cool, well that also furthers the point that different worlds have different rules. Put shulk in the dq world and he might not even have any of his powers.
Also FF has had stuff like that too. Would that make tidus more powerful than cloud?

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Cool, well that also furthers the point that different worlds have different rules. Put shulk in the dq world and he might not even have any of his powers.
Also FF has had stuff like that too. Would that make tidus more powerful than cloud?
I mean if Tidus fought someone that's like that, then sure. Isn't the whole meteor thing from Sephiroth supposed to be some kind of outlier anyways? Man, I just want to see Erdrick fight Cloud man rofl.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Am I too late to join in on the Erdrick potential hype and speculation?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean if Tidus fought someone that's like that, then sure. Isn't the whole meteor thing from Sephiroth supposed to be some kind of outlier anyways? Man, I just want to see Erdrick fight Cloud man rofl.
What Tidus fought is a lot more powerful than sephiroth. And also just the dmg in the game goes higher than ff7 XD.
But cloud is sometimes seen as very powerful and some fights looks almost like dragon ball. But again i dont think any of them could destroy a planet with an energy blast that i know of, so.. maybe i shouldnt compare to dragon ball heh.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
You're never too late :)

What Tidus fought is a lot more powerful than sephiroth. And also just the dmg in the game goes higher than ff7 XD.
But cloud is sometimes seen as very powerful and some fights looks almost like dragon ball. But again i dont think any of them could destroy a planet with an energy blast that i know of, so.. maybe i shouldnt compare to dragon ball heh.
Pfft you're too much of a nerd lol. Speaking of DB though, if the DQ verse fought in the DB world, I think they'd actually do very very well.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You're never too late :)

Pfft you're too much of a nerd lol. Speaking of DB though, if the DQ verse fought in the DB world, I think they'd actually do very very well.
Ehh. Well, i guess since even humans like videl and krillin can channel ki and get really strong, a dq hero should be able to get pretty far in that world. I kinda feel like it wouldn't match goku tho, especially with having the hidden potential to be a kind of fighting god, but i really wouldn't mind seeing some cool crossover for sure ;)

If anything we can probably use more ;p
so welcome around :)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Ehh. Well, i guess since even humans like videl and krillin can channel ki and get really strong, a dq hero should be able to get pretty far in that world. I kinda feel like it wouldn't match goku tho, especially with having the hidden potential to be a kind of fighting god, but i really wouldn't mind seeing some cool crossover for sure ;)

If anything we can probably use more ;p
so welcome around :)
I mean if we are talking current Goku, then no not at all. But if we are talking earlier arcs, I say it depends on the DQ hero. After all some heroes in DQ fought better foes then others. Like comfortably, a DQ hero could beat Goku pre Saiyan saga.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I think that in all cast Kirby is the more powerful in canon as he is kind a eldritch abomination or maybe even a space god. And he defeat space gods and eldritch abominations in practically every of his main games after the first, specially after the Black Matter trilogy.
True Monado Shulk I think is in the same level as the weakened Palutena usually showed in the games, in her full power I think she is more powerful, but with the universe recreating wish Shulk is in pair with Kirby
I think is the only trio that are more powerful then Erdrick(Considering that a balance of power level of every DQ Hero as usual they do that in the DQ Crossover games and how it's more probably to have multiple heroes in his slot) till now.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I think that in all cast Kirby is the more powerful in canon as he is kind a eldritch abomination or maybe even a space god. And he defeat space gods and eldritch abominations in practically every of his main games after the first, specially after the Black Matter trilogy.
True Monado Shulk I think is in the same level as the weakened Palutena usually showed in the games, in her full power I think she is more powerful, but with the universe recreating wish Shulk is in pair with Kirby
I think is the only trio that are more powerful then Erdrick(Considering that a balance of power level of every DQ Hero as usual they do that in the DQ Crossover games and how it's more probably to have multiple heroes in his slot) till now.
Yeah. If you want my personal opinion when it comes to Dragon Quest heroes powers, I can confidently say that there are a lot of DQ heroes that reach the upper echelon of the smash roster if we are basing it solely on the canon game.

The Luminary for example I think would be around the same tier as True Monado Shulk, Bayonetta, and Joker.

Also, I should probably say this to Teeb147 Teeb147 regarding the different world thing with different combatants. While I understand the whole idea that different worlds have different rules, I personally think for versus matches that it purposely gives a buff or a nerf depending on the scenario so it is just a variable that I'd like to dismiss :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom