• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Why couldn't it just please rpg fans, and banjo please other ones? I dont understand why it would necessarily overshadow anything when both can be liked. Even if it did, at least they'd focus on it and stop bothering people who'll like erdrick, lol. If the characters are fun they'd get back more attention when it's time for release.
It's a mixed bag. In this scenario people would definitely be paying more attention to Banjo than Erdrick in the short term, but I think the positive effect of Banjo (or some other popular character) as a "consolation" is more than enough to justify it. Less attention as a tradeoff for less disappointment seems fair. They'd each get some time in the spotlight anyway, as long as they didn't both release at once.

This stuff all tends to balance out over time. Most people's strong feelings mellow out pretty fast these days, positive or negative. Even as someone with an irrational, unfair dislike of Fire Emblem, I'm hardly bothered about Corrin anymore.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I didn't get it, it was leaked information for someone from Banjo board or was just speculation?
Edit: Oh, now loaded the quote. It was just blind rage.

People also forgot that the character wouldn't be announced as Erdrick as it is a Spoiler. The character will be most likely called Hero or Dragon Quest Hero. And even people don't recognizing him, it will do what Square Enix want with it, throw the west gaze upon the franchise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I didn't get it, it was leaked information for someone from Banjo board or was just speculation?

People also forgot that the character wouldn't be announced as Erdrick as it is a Spoiler. The character will be most likely called Hero or Dragon Quest Hero. And even people don't recognizing him, it will do what Square Enix want with it, throw the west gaze upon the franchise.
How about calling him the Dragon Warrior?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So I've been getting back into DQ VIII since my schedule is more open now. Which main DQ game should I start playing once I beat VIII? The only other one I've played is a bit of VII though I never got around to finishing it.

D

Deleted member

So I've been getting back into DQ VIII since my schedule is more open now. Which main DQ game should I start playing once I beat VIII? The only other one I've played is a bit of VII though I never got around to finishing it.
I would suggest 3 or 5 next. They're not too long and are also some of the best the series has to offer. And with the definitive version of 11 coming soon as well it's also absolutely worth playing.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Since you're here, DQIII's not a bad place to go. It's very easy to pick up and play since it's so light on story and open-ended. It actually works pretty well as a phone game.

Of course I always have to recommend DQV, and if you want to go way back, DQI is a fun little time machine you can breeze through in an afternoon or two. There's nothing wrong with just going for DQVII either, but bear in mind it's very long.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I would suggest 3 or 5 next. They're not too long and are also some of the best the series has to offer. And with the definitive version of 11 coming soon as well it's also absolutely worth playing.
5 would be good if you like the monster taming quite a bit. And if you like it a LOT then also play Dragon Quest Monsters series :p

DQ7 is good for the class system, if you want to go more in that direction :)
(and the 3ds remake isn't as bad for the slow story, which some people didnt like about it)

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

Leaked info? What? Did I miss something?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I made a post here airing some grievances I had rumbling around in my head for a while. I rarely ever express that much negativity, so it was nice seeing Ovaltine's post today to remind myself that other people think it's not cool that negativity is thrown toward our most wanted.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
XI, the latest game. It's fairly different from 7 but it's just such an amazing game period.

Also in regards to the whole thing with that Banjo quote, the world doesn't revolve with just a day. People will be able to see it and whether you're happy or not it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Dragon Quest becomes something prevalent to the west just a tad more, and that's all I really care about. If you hate on something you don't understand, you only have yourself to blame for it.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I used to take sprites from this MMO called Tibia and make comics with it, this one had some of my favorite games at the time, Harvest Moon, Dragon Quest, Atelier Iris, and Elder Scrolls.

Wow, that looks EXACTLY like Ultima 7.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It's a fantastic game.

And hell, the NES Ultima games are some of the most NES DQ games at the time.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
It's a fantastic game.

And hell, the NES Ultima games are some of the most NES DQ games at the time.
I like to consider it the western DQ, hell it inspired DQ to a degree so I have the utmost respect for it. The one I want to play the most is Ultima 7.

EDIT: Chat's dead so I found the Luminary wearing Erdricks armour

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

JoeStronger

Smash Cadet
I just thought I’d leave a message here, but right now in Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Light for Mobile, they’re having a special event featuring the world of Dragon Quest 3 and increased drop rates for monsters from that game.

Im not sure why, though. The anniversary of DQ3 is February, and I don’t know about anything important happening in June for Dragon Quest 3...

Hmmm...

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I just thought I’d leave a message here, but right now in Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Light for Mobile, they’re having a special event featuring the world of Dragon Quest 3 and increased drop rates for monsters from that game.

Im not sure why, though. The anniversary of DQ3 is February, and I don’t know about anything important happening in June for Dragon Quest 3...

Hmmm...
Very exciting possibilities for sure.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, look what is the title and style from the new week event in Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links xD Screenshot_20190531-222217.png
Note: the text over it says "Find Treasures on the Dungeons".
Edit: Yuusha Yugi
Screenshot_20190531-223133.png
Talking about that, on the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga, before the Duel Monsters part of the series, on Bakura's first apparition, Yugi and his friend played a board game RPG named World of Monsters that was based on D&D and Dragon Quest, and they got trapped in a Yami no Game based on this board game. Which inspired that episode on the anime where Yami Yugi and Yami Bakura Duel for the first time.

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, look what is the title and style from the new week event in Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links xDView attachment 225381
Note: the text over it says "Find Treasures on the Dungeons".
Edit: Yuusha Yugi
View attachment 225382
Talking about that, on the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga, before the Duel Monsters part of the series, on Bakura's first apparition, Yugi and his friend played a board game RPG named World of Monsters that was based on D&D and Dragon Quest, and they got trapped in a Yami no Game based on this board game. Which inspired that episode on the anime.
Oh I see someone else is PT gang here :p

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Nice, fellow South Americans! I was born in Miami but I live in Paraguay.

Considering DQ3's map is based on the real world, Erdrick is born in the Southern Hemisphere in a made up place between Australia and South America. The rest of the map is based on real world locations, though.

https://nesmaps.com/maps/DragonWarrior3/DragonWarrior3OverworldMap.png

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Nice, fellow South Americans! I was born in Miami but I live in Paraguay.

Considering DQ3's map is based on the real world, Erdrick is born in the Southern Hemisphere in a made up place between Australia and South America. The rest of the map is based on real world locations, though.

https://nesmaps.com/maps/DragonWarrior3/DragonWarrior3OverworldMap.png
Nice, I haven't travelled to other South America country, but Paraguay is one of that I have interest in visiting some day.
I know, it's awesome, I tried to make a version of an world map like that for a Dragon Quest inspired RPG, but I wasn't that good of a master those days and this campaign didn't catch my friends interest.
Nope, from Brazil as well. Just a few pages ago I was talking a Tibia sprite comic I did that had some DQ on it.
I saw the Tibia post, I was going to ask but didn't want to assume that was BR Portuguese right off the bat to not rise an misunderstood and make any weird situation on the board.

Last edited:

JoeStronger

Smash Cadet
Just a quick clip of one of my runs against Zoma during this event, to show it off a bit more to you guys.

I'm not trying to promote myself or anything, I just wanna share this cause I think it's cool

D

Deleted member

10 days to go for nintendo E3 lads! i have a feeling that this is our home stretch in regards to Smash but even if not, it'll still be great to see all the other DQ news.

That aside though, lately I have been playing through DQ6 again. i actually have never finished it all the way through so i plan on it now, lol

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
10 days to go for nintendo E3 lads! i have a feeling that this is our home stretch in regards to Smash but even if not, it'll still be great to see all the other DQ news.

That aside though, lately I have been playing through DQ6 again. i actually have never finished it all the way through so i plan on it now, lol
I should probably finish DQ3 before the Square Enix conference and Nintendo conference lol

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
My 3DS might have just bricked :(
That sucks, mine had some years ago a problem that had to change his motherboard, I'm using my Canadian account since that day. I have many things on my Brazilian, but it is still traped in the disembodied motherboard.
I should probably finish DQ3 before the Square Enix conference and Nintendo conference lol
Nice, make that a self challenge to rise Erdrick chances xD

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Just do what feels good to you. If that does then go for it ;)
I dont think i'm going to end up playing as much as i wanted, but i'll still play a bit at least. And otherwise just enjoy the new news :)

My 3DS might have just bricked :(
That sucks if that's the case. Dont give up, but im sorry to hear. I've never had something outright brick on me, but i havent been able to play my 3ds for quite a while now except for a few things, because there's a problem with it. I've pretty much just played things on other consoles in the meantime. good luck with it.

Yup. I feel like it's within eye sight. not very long now :)

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
It's been a while since we've talked about classic mode, right?

I keep getting hung up on the idea of each round corresponding to one of the six orbs, since that's such a large part of DQIII. Some of them would work fine, like maybe female Corrin on Suzaku Castle for Pimiko/Orochi or Wario on New Pork City to represent the Immigrant Town sidequest, but some of the orbs are very low-key, and focusing on them would mean leaving out important stuff like Robbin' 'Ood or the pyramid, or anything in Alefgard.

I'm sure I'm overthinking it. We'll probably get "fight all the legendary heroes" or "fight all the RPG characters, except Joker because you might not have bought the whole pass".

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

I keep getting hung up on the idea of each round corresponding to one of the six orbs, since that's such a large part of DQIII. Some of them would work fine, like maybe female Corrin on Suzaku Castle for Pimiko/Orochi or Wario on New Pork City to represent the Immigrant Town sidequest, but some of the orbs are very low-key, and focusing on them would mean leaving out important stuff like Robbin' 'Ood or the pyramid, or anything in Alefgard.

I'm sure I'm overthinking it. We'll probably get "fight all the legendary heroes" or "fight all the RPG characters, except Joker because you might not have bought the whole pass".
Yeah I'm thinking the latter. It would be cool to have you fight Joker though, as it's kind of like a "old meets new" kind of deal.

D

Deleted member

I love that idea, but I do think it would be hard to work. Maybe representing monsters? A blue Kirby as a Slime, the Ice Climbers as Hammerhoods, etc.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
And my old trusty 3DS from 2011 returned to the world of the living, thankfully it was a SD card problem not a console problem, lost all of my save files though... which included my ongoing DQ7 save, which is like, the least replayable DQ game :facepalm:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
And my old trusty 3DS from 2011 returned to the world of the living, thankfully it was a SD card problem not a console problem, lost all of my save files though... which included my ongoing DQ7 save, which is like, the least replayable DQ game :facepalm:
Losing saves sucks for sure :O but at least your 3ds is ok.
Could be worth taking a break from dq7 for a bit, that's what i'd do in that case anyway. (unless you werent far)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was like 60 hours in, lol. RIP
Ah well crudd. If you had homebrew you could upload a save file from someone online, though it wouldnt be the same.

Take whatever time you need to mourn your save file :O

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Naoyatodo Naoyatodo your moveset doc has been getting some views on Twitter. People really like it! Some big names have retweeted, like sackchief and DQ Dragon's Den.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom