• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heavenly Scriptures:A Pit Q&A thread!

Nikenick

Smash Journeyman

iFudge

Banned via Warnings
is jab- canceling good for pit. i mostly jab-cancel to grab its kind of a habit since i use snake . but most of the pits i played mostly continue the whole aaa combo.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I like using jab cancels as Link, but for Pit i find his infinite jab usually better then any jab cancel i could pull off. Usually if i'm going to jab cancel i like going to the second hit of the jab because his second jab pulls opponents in.

But I've jab to grab, dtilt, dsmash, and fsmash.

Esca

Smash Champion
is jab- canceling good for pit. i mostly jab-cancel to grab its kind of a habit since i use snake . but most of the pits i played mostly continue the whole aaa combo.
Much like Wario/DK/and Falco, Pit's 2nd jab hit pulls his opponent inward slightly, and is still able to be cancelled.

Something I recommend most, for maximum damage, is Jab>jab>utilt. Since utilt is so fast and does so much damage without staling a kill move, it does optimal damage for minimal punishment. Fresh, this combo does 21%(as much as Snake's ftilt!!!)

Another really common mindgame to use against your opponent, (providing they roll alot) is jab, then wait for them to roll, and punish with the appropriate smash/tilt/ or even another jab.

Esca

Smash Champion
The only real way to beat a camping Diddy, is to camp him back. Your arrows go through the peanuts so you shouldn't have a problem with that.

To be honest, you should never be approaching Diddy. He should be approaching you. You should never be in the situation where he gets to naner/peanut wall you. You should be arrow walling him, so to speak.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
The only real way to beat a camping Diddy, is to camp him back. Your arrows go through the peanuts so you shouldn't have a problem with that.

To be honest, you should never be approaching Diddy. He should be approaching you. You should never be in the situation where he gets to naner/peanut wall you. You should be arrow walling him, so to speak.
I don't like that usage of the word, "never." I've been taught to never say "never." Anyways, I want to hear more on the Diddy matchup seeing as you get to play Gnes on a regular basis.

Esca

Smash Champion
I don't like that usage of the word, "never." I've been taught to never say "never." Anyways, I want to hear more on the Diddy matchup seeing as you get to play Gnes on a regular basis.
Some essential Diddy Vs. Pit advice

1. Glide Tosses -- Pit has several glide toss combos using Diddy's own bananas. You always have to glide toward your opponent, but depending on the spacing, you throw the banana down or forward. If you throw it down but glide forward, you can dash attack backwards. If you throw it forward and glide forward, you can either Dsmash for a potential free kill, or Fsmash for damage. However, the weird glide motion makes the fsmash automatically DIable after 100% because of the sliding.

2. How to play against Diddy whilst being at low percents (0-50) -- At low percents, you need to make sure you stay far away from him. Diddy capitalizes far more on opponents at low percents than any other time. Since this is the case, the most viable strategy here is to either stay near the ledge or on platforms, but be weary of any traps he may have set up. Spam arrows here to aggravate the Diddy and force a more aggressive playstyle. If you have the lead, he has to approach. Basically, build the lead here.

3. How to play against Diddy whilst being at mid percents (50-100) -- This is where a little of the ground game mixes in. You're going to have to change your playstyle completely. Instead of running away and always being in the safest spot, (ledge/air) space dtilts/fairs or airdodge inside of him and utilt (MOST EFFECTIVE). Side note -- Do NOT forget to abuse utilt. It balances over Diddy's banana throws, it's 2 frames, AND it does 16%. -- This is basically just rotating your playstyle to not be as predictable, and mixing up your campy playstyle, so that he can't adapt fully to your camping. So at mid percents, start racking more damage with tilts and smartly spaced aerials to divert your opponent.

4. How to play against Diddy whilst being at high percents (100+) -- This is the most dangerous part of the match. The only time you should be here is when he's at low percent. A very risky part of being this high is that any banana is a potential kill. The match started with you playing campy, then aggressive, so the Diddy player will be sitting in his shield alot more due to your aggro style. Grab here. Always grab and throw the player away, then spam arrows. Remember you have 2 reflectors during this match, you can use them different times, but make sure to do so sparingly. This will aggravate the player, as this style is annoying to fight against, but effective. Capitalize with charged smashes and pivot grabs as well. So at high percents, capitalize on the shielded opponent and go back to safely spammed arrows in between throws, with CHARGED smashes for mix-ups.

Also, something I'll touch briefly on is Jump-Canceled throws. Pit can naner lock Diddy just like Diddy can naner lock Pit. Just JC throw instead, it's the same length as Diddy's glide toss.

I just wrote a little bit, but I have to go. If someone has questions/comments, let me know. I wasn't too clear but I can explain things alot better 1 v 1. Let me know guys. =P

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I cannot SDI from Pit's Fsmash fast enough to save my life. Literally.
How can i practice my SDI? No i am not playing wifi.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
It has range atleast. Though dont most of Pits moves have really bad priority even though they are disjointed?

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
I cannot SDI from Pit's Fsmash fast enough to save my life. Literally.
How can i practice my SDI? No i am not playing wifi.
You have to do Di
diagonally upwards in the direction that pit isn't looking.
If you do this DI at the first hit, you won't be caught by the second.

See that in higher %'s, the easier it gets do DI out of fsmash.
:)

For pit's player now.
If you are trying to kill some good DI player. Stutter step backwards and Fsmash.
Makes harder to DI.

[]'s

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Do you double stick di?
Yes, i do, but i believe using both drastically slows my hand speed with the Control Stick.

You have to do Di
diagonally upwards in the direction that pit isn't looking.
If you do this DI at the first hit, you won't be caught by the second.

See that in higher %'s, the easier it gets do DI out of fsmash.

For pit's player now.
If you are trying to kill some good DI player. Stutter step backwards and Fsmash.
Makes harder to DI.

[]'s
I've done it at really slow speeds easily, but it's hard to do when i'm at normal speed, sometimes i don't do anything and i'd rather accept the loss of a stock than going through the risk of tiring myself out trying when it won't work :tired:
I'm not too lazy though, lol

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
Yes, i do, but i believe using both drastically slows my hand speed with the Control Stick.

I've done it at really slow speeds easily, but it's hard to do when i'm at normal speed, sometimes i don't do anything and i'd rather accept the loss of a stock than going through the risk of tiring myself out trying when it won't work :tired:
I'm not too lazy though, lol
Well, you could train it at high %s.
For each %, Fsmash turns to be easy to DI out.

Kool Aid

Smash Journeyman
Using WOI how do you bair without moving your direction ? please tell me before apex :(

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
Using WOI how do you bair without moving your direction ? please tell me before apex :(
Have you ever played sheik at melee?
An easy way to edge hog with her was to dash towards the ledge, hop on it's directon, TAP the directional the other way (since in melee characters didn't grab the edge when they were facing the other way), and than you use the needle charcing, canceled it with the R and proceed a edge hog.

The same thing could be made with pit's WOI.
Proceed a UPB, tap your directional to where you would like to proceed an bair, than bair with c-stick.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Can someone explain stutterstepping to me?
Gimpy called the Mario/Sonic/Ganondorf/Falcon one a Pivot F-smash. Since that's really all it is. It's not really advanced, but it does seem to be a character-specific trait more than a 'tech'.

That description doesn't exactly capture the fact that theirs force a 'slide' though. This one jerks your character in the direction the smash is facing.

-----------------
Then there's the "stutter step" as OS calls it (Which was listed down as a 'universal alternative' to perform it) where you cancel your initial dash with an F-smash:
"Smash input", with a semi-delayed A.
[Tap+Hold Forward]--[A]
Effect: Jerks your character forward before you start charging a smash.

If you take the definition/performance of "stutter step" as the one I just described, then "Reverse stutter step" would make more sense being grouped together with it instead of a pivot F-smash, in name and performance:
"Dashdance input (back first)", but hitting A to cancel the forward dash.
[Tap Back]--([Tap Forward]+[A])
Effect: Jerks your character backwards before charging a smash (facing forward)

Then there's the "extended" stutter step, which works especially well with the 4 'pivot' characters, because they get an extra boost:
"Dashdance input (forward first)" > Forward smash.
[Tap Forward]--([Tap Back]+[C-stick Forward])
Effect: Jerks your character forward before performing a pivot F-smash (facing "forward", the direction you first started running).

Extended Stutterstepping is supposed to work with every character, including Pit.

Thread : http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=204795&highlight=Stutterstepping

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hellu Pit Boards, you might be seeing me a lot here in the next little while asking questions about your character and how they perform on a certain stage.
Character boards seem to cycle through incomplete MU threads to new ones in hope to update them and finally complete them. This is the R.O.B. Boards attempt at completing a sufficient stage-discussion thread and I'm going to try my best to get accurate and thorough information, but I'll need your help. This will be the only question with an introductory. I just wanted to say hello and let you know that if you guys need info on anything for R.O.B. don't hesitate asking. ^_^

Anywho!

Q: How does Pit fair off on Delfino Plaza in general and against R.O.B.. Why is it good or bad? What can Pit abuse and what might possibly annoy you that R.O.B. can do on this stage? On a scale of 1 - 10, what do you see Pit's chances of doing well on this stage against R.O.B. 1 being the worst for you 10 being the best.

thanks guys =]
<beep3

Xcallion

Smash Ace
i need help w/ the sonic MU. what should i do on neutrals and where should i bring him on a CP?

Top Bottom