• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heavenly Scriptures:A Pit Q&A thread!

Ryos4

Smash Lord
My best advice for Marth Vs Pit is to just move in close to avoid the whole Range problem Pit might have against Marth. It also helps to avoid tippers and just instead get hit by his weaker attacks. When your in close you can use your faster attack options, like Utilt, Jabs, and Dtilt. Also using alot of Jabs into Infinite jabs can catch Marth if he likes to spot dodge to Fsmash or something.

During Marths Fair approach, its easiest to either spot dodge or roll behind Marth as hes approaching you.

Use your knock up moves to then go into Uair juggles and you can also use arrows to prolong combos when they get knocked too far. As he is a lot less deadly when directly above you and it most likely the only point in which Pit has the advantage.

Lastly i guess. Try to bait Marths Smashes, which have considerable lag after. Shield and go in for a counter attack.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Question: Why does rolling with Pit get me into so much trouble? I always get hit by anything, I feel like his roll is slow or something.

Question: What do I do on wifi with Pit? Spam arrows all day? I can't stand not being able to do the simplest of things with this guy online.

Question: What do you guys think of air camping with pit? (arrows)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Question: Why does rolling with Pit get me into so much trouble? I always get hit by anything, I feel like his roll is slow or something.

Question: What do I do on wifi with Pit? Spam arrows all day? I can't stand not being able to do the simplest of things with this guy online.

Pits roll is actually kind of crappy in terms of the amount of frames you are damageable during the duration of the roll. Also If you roll too much, you become really predicable, and really easily punished. Rolling into opponents is also a terrible idea, while sometimes rolling behind someone works, a charged Dsmash or something will be what you get if you roll behind them and they predict it.

On wifi, the game play is actually drastically different. While it does play the same, instead of relying on reaction time to win, its all about being able to read your opponent. Most wifi players have a set way of playing with patterns. All you have to do is find these patterns and then play a proper counter strategy. But for Pit in general i find the best way to play is with to use arrows to disrupt style and knock them off balance. Work in a lot of combos (attack strings, probably not true combos) and keep your momentum going once you have it. Also with certain characters who have really fast moves that can kill, like Fox or Snake, its best to play a bit more defensive and work a lot of spacing. Also the only real problems you should have with online, as long as its not lag spiky or with super high button lag, is perfectly timing things. But at the same time you can you that to your advantage cause ur opponent feels the same way. Bait their attacks and counter is one strategy to make use of online lag. Also using multi hit moves (Nair, Uair, and Inifinte Jab) are also good to help with timing issues.

I dont much like the idea of camping in general. But if you were planning on it. It might be kind of dangerous, especially against fast opponent. When put pulls out an arrow to fire he sits still for rather long time, well long enough for lets say Sheik, Sonic, Fox, ect. They can easily move in below you where you are utterly defenseless. Also with only 3 jumps, and Pit usually needs at least 2 to make it back safely without having to use WoI. 1 for glide and a second one so you don't free fall from a glide and have other options besides just attacking. If you get knocked off during your 2nd or 3rd jump, Pit can get fked up pretty fast as has very little options when he doesn't have his extra jumps.

These are of course just my opinion.

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
Ok I'm having issues getting the timing down for the Angelic Step. Does anyone have any tips to help me out? Also, how can Wing Dashing be applied during a match?
1. Angelic Step - Pretty much useless, so forget it.
And what don´t you understand exactely? There´s nothing hard to learn.

2. Don´t wingdash too often. Use it while you´re at the edge etc.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
What are you talking about the angelic step is amazingly useful. The slide it gives for Ftilt and Fsmash is pretty useful. I think you might get a little more range then fast walk to Ftilt/Fsmash in terms of sliding. I find it much more useful then most of Pits WoI related techs.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
I didn't know anywhere else to state this but, I have officially picked up Pit...I have been playing him for about a week on All is brawl. So get use to seeing me around these parts of the Forums. Currently I'm just playing people online, and I don't really have any questions concerning him. But after I return to tournaments after my brawl break, I will achieve being the best Pit in the Midwest!!! Watch out Suyon!!!

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
Ok I'm having issues getting the timing down for the Angelic Step. Does anyone have any tips to help me out? Also, how can Wing Dashing be applied during a match?
Angelic step is a mind game that throws off you opponents timing when they think you are approaching. Usually a extended guard or sidestep from your opponent is free punishment for a sliding grab. Keeping your forward momentum, helps nair out of side step.

WoI works in too many ways.

Wing dashing in a match is a slight mind game, but the pressure in the match, I'm not sure of.
It disrupts aerials, yet Idk know how much it is useful.
Wing dashing is also sparingly used just as much as a reflector but as an approach to attack. Just as we semi predict a projectile incoming, we use a reflector. WoI can be buffered into an attack to punish while negating the projectile. Useful against projectiles like pika's aerial bolts or pk thunders that are harder to reflect with the ring or shield.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
3rd Question: I really like arrow camping with Pit! Short hopping arrows can be a nice way to confuse your oponent for a bit. If they begin to approach, sometimes I go into a glide after the SH arrow and then hit/glide over/cancel glide. D-Air is nice too.

I didn't know anywhere else to state this but, I have officially picked up Pit...I have been playing him for about a week on All is brawl. So get use to seeing me around these parts of the Forums. Currently I'm just playing people online, and I don't really have any questions concerning him. But after I return to tournaments after my brawl break, I will achieve being the best Pit in the Midwest!!! Watch out Suyon!!!
Welcome :)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I'm not a 100% sure but usually when i want to launch someone. I DI away from them to keep them getting hit by the front portion only to launch in front of Pit. DI toward them if you want to attempt to hit them the behind you to launch them backward. This is assuming you land the hit when they are in the center of the blades. I've never actually tested it but thats what i usually do that works.

So in short hit them with in the farthest portion of the blades as possible to ensure they get hit in that direction.

pitskeyblade

Smash Lord
Makin movies makin songs & FIGHTIN ROUND THE W
Pit cornered on the ledge, what are good options to get to the the other side to avoid rolling?
Ooh, I deal with this situation a lot as well. Um, you could always drop down onto the ledge and plank until your opponent has enough damage to knock away with an Uair, Fair, or Bair. You could climb back on then and do your thing. That's one option that I see, anyway.

nuclearknife

Smash Rookie
my question is what controller do you recommend for pit?
i use the gamecube but i wanna know what the pros think as a general census

oh and what moves besides the flying move can pit use to get back to the stage fast after being knocked off?

also is it a good idea online to do as i have been doing and be more of a support man rather then juggernaut b/c of pits "spamming" capabilities.

pitskeyblade

Smash Lord
Makin movies makin songs & FIGHTIN ROUND THE W
my question is what controller do you recommend for pit?
i use the gamecube but i wanna know what the pros think as a general census
Whatever feels right to you. I prefer all gamecube. Can't do ANYTHING with a Wii remote lol. To get back to the stage after being knocked off, you can glide, arrow stun, and I personally would use the WoI only as a last resort. Pit is a good online spammer.

edit: oh, and welcome to the boards ^_^

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Gamecube.

Everyone who's anyone in Smash uses a Gamecube Controller.

Except for Pyronic Star and UltimateRazer, but nobody cares about them.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
I also recommend the Gamecube controller. Allows for quick reactions and multi-tasking.

Also, I don't know what specifically you are looking for. But the fastest way to get back on stage is to use glide, although it isn't the safest way.

And, Pit is good as support, but that style of play works best in team battles. Pit can't exactly "Juggernaut" in a match, but he does well on his own.

nuclearknife

Smash Rookie
ok thx for all the help!!!

and i prefered gamecube b/c of the C stick which helped with launchers but i figured itd ask.

Tetsion

Smash Journeyman
No more pit syndrome, no johns. X is a good sonic, so lets aspire to be good pits and I have some questions cause I have no real clue for them.

What is Pit's best out of shield option. I get punished trying to attack out of the shield by a jab or they poke through my shield by the feet. It's real dumb. So what's the best OoS cause I have no idea.

what is Pit's best momentum stopping move/SDI w/e. because pit's moves don't come out fast in the air considering you would think he is air based. He isn't MK though so... whats his fastest one?

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Pit's fastest aerial is Dair.

Fair is really close.

I grab and jab a lot OoS, or Fsmash if they're in some kind of lag. Dunno if these are the best options, though. I've heard Up-B OoS is cool for some reason? But I've never tried it.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Well OoS options can very depending on how close they are to you. If they are literally on top of you an Up tilt is probably the best out of shield. Its suppose to be really fast with 3 hits and like 16% max damage. If not jab, grab, or maybe even SH Nair. Though i think dtilt may actually work too.

Tetsion

Smash Journeyman
Alright good, I admit I am lazy as for not looking at the frame's. I always used Dair, but someone said F-air or something. So Dair will stop my momentum the fastest. Thanks.

Up B is viable for OoS.. but it's risky. Though "supposedly" we have invin frames on the ground so I will try giving it a shot, if I can break my habit of shield grabbing.

SH Dair sounds better than Nair at this point because of how fast it is and long.. has anyone even found a use for nair anymore? Seem's just as useful as falco's Fair..(not saying dont use it, but I am wondering how useful it really is)

I also like the up-tilt idea, it's just the range is so short I feel. So I donno, but yeah if they are on top of me I will try to do up tilt instead of grabs.

Thanks for the help everyone, will be back with more questions probably when I come across somehting.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I thought Nair was considered one of Pits best approaches. Pretty good shield pressure, can auto cancel. Nair close behind someone into a Utilt is pretty good. Not only is it fast, but since Pit is pushed off ground during a Utilt it also protects him from alot of Dsmash attacks that are most commonly used when your behind someone.

Also theres a video floating around youtube that shows Pit making Ganon's Up special utterly useless using Nair as a sort of retaliation for getting caught in his Up special.

Being as fast as it is, it makes a fairly good "combo breaker," and is one of Pits fastest aerials.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
Nair can also be used to punish someone who likes to spotdodge a lot. Also, I have been using Dsmash out of Shield a lot and it works well as a punisher. I will also try out the other suggestions for OOS moves, though, since they sound really good.

Also, has anyone ever heard of Fox being able to grab Pit out of Angel Ring? I have even tried to grab Pit out of Angel Ring and I can't do it. Is it possible, though?

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Pit sucks. :( Lol.
Find new stuff, he's not bad @ all. You must be doing something wrong. Vids please?

What is Pit's best out of shield option. I get punished trying to attack out of the shield by a jab or they poke through my shield by the feet. It's real dumb. So what's the best OoS cause I have no idea.

what is Pit's best momentum stopping move/SDI w/e.
Pit's best punisher OOS is Fsmash, but the move is too slow sometimes against certain attacks and punishable on shield.

His better OOS options are 1)jab-fast, 2)d-smash-fast, 3)upsmash(very quick-6 frames like f-smash), 4)dash attack, 5)grab, 6)uptilt, 7)nair

Pit's best momentum cancel move is Dair.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I dont know if there has been a combo video for pit as a community. But many of the communities have done combo videos. I know Mario has like 4, Link has his second one coming up from AiB, I just recently saw one of Samus.

Anyway i think it would be helpful as a community building exercise to make a community combo video. I probably have a few clips that could be used in a combo video, as i assume many of the other pits on here have some as well.

The real question is, if there is anyone who actually wants to edit them together. Because i doubt anyone would be against making one.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Where did "always the Pit mains" come from? Did a Pit once do something really stupid or something? :ohwell:

And a community combo vid would be amazing....but I already have my hands full w the matchup thread. Maybe Rayvn or CorruptFate could do it?

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
Stage dependent, say FD. I'll go to the very bottom, close enough where I'm taking 1 damage for stage boundary and fly to the other side. Or if he blocks that route, I fly far out and away from the stage to get way above.

I'm not scared of meta too much, Sometimes I jump towards with MS, then go for a footstool jump. Its a bit risky but, helps with proper DI just in case. You'll usually get the jump without the footstool, so hurry back.

Top Bottom